• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
i think i saw something once about hooking up a gps receiver to an ipad don't know that all that trouble is worth it but hey it can be done it seems

^ Nah, doesn't sound like it's worth the trouble at all, my iPhone with Navigon, does the job of a GPS just fine in my car, I'm just being a FWP nerd, trying to use my iPad as an SUV size navigation system for my tiny car.

Be9Dp.jpg

I'd have thought using an iPad as a Satnav would be illegal(or close at least).

If it's any consolation, I was trying to use my iPad as a Sat Nav just this weekend, I was getting frustrated when it wasn't picking up the GPS signal accurately (it was picking up to the nearest 100 square meter/diameter)

Anyway I pulled over and parked at the back of a shady shopping plaza, I say shady, because most of the stores on one side of this plaza are just closed down/abandoned.

I am sitting there fiddling around with the iPad, tethering it with my iPhone just to get the GPS to read accurately, lo and behold, a cop in his cruiser pulls right beside me out of nowhere!

"Well hi there! what you up to?"

"Uhh nothin officer, just trying to get my iPad to work as a GPS Navigation system for my car, but I'm not having much luck..."

He looks at me and chuckles.."Have a nice day" drives away.

So yeah, I doubt they are illegal!

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I just bought one this morning, and before I even got to migrate my content I was surprised by how warm the screen's color temp was. Noticeably so, compared to my iPhone. Google yielded many similar reports, but I couldn't conclude whether it's intentional or a common issue, and whether it's a valid concern that calls for a replacement or not.

Thoughts?

Quick

Banned
I just bought one this morning, and before I even got to migrate my content I was surprised by how warm the screen's color temp was. Noticeably so, compared to my iPhone. Google yielded many similar reports, but I couldn't conclude whether it's intentional or a common issue, and whether it's a valid concern that calls for a replacement or not.

Thoughts?

Have it checked at the Apple Store anyway.

I had my iPhone 4S looked at because the screen looked warmer compared to my iPad, and the guy said there wasn't anything wrong and it was because the iPhone screens are apparently manufactured by two different companies, and that's why one iPhone screen might look warmer than another one. Not sure how valid that is, but I figured it didn't make too big a difference in my viewing experience.

hirokazu

I don't know. Pressing the phone icon and picking contacts, making reminders, or calendar events don't seem as slow as you guys may hint it is.

To each their own, I suppose.

I don't deal with calendars on iOS, but both finding the person to call that's not in my favourites or recent calls and setting up a reminder with sound notification is pretty cumbersome. Siri is way fast doing these things provided that it understood what you said. But it can be a lot more annoying then doing it manually when it says "Sorry, I didn't get that" or returns garbage results.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Can someone explain what Sparrow does that makes it worth considering over the default mail client?

Email to me seems like a pretty basic system...I want to read it, I want to send it. Perhaps I'm not doing a ton of personal emails that I need any kind of crazy functionality, but I can't even fathom why I'd pay $10 for an email client when the default one does everything I could imagine.

Vyer

Can someone explain what Sparrow does that makes it worth considering over the default mail client?

Email to me seems like a pretty basic system...I want to read it, I want to send it. Perhaps I'm not doing a ton of personal emails that I need any kind of crazy functionality, but I can't even fathom why I'd pay $10 for an email client when the default one does everything I could imagine.

Reading into it, two things stick out to me right off the bat. Being able to attach/insert while composing a message and the ability to access other folders with a gesture enabled navigation bar already seem like huge improvements.

Does anyone know if this has Exchange support?

So I keep seeing stuff about an ipad mini, is it fluff?

Lots of talk right now. iMore says it is coming in October (they were right on quite a few things with iPhone 4S and iPad 3 way before anyone else). We'll see though. I could see a shrunken iPad with iPad 2 specs down to 7.85 inches with the current 3rd gen iPad being the top tier version. But, people said the same thing about the "cheaper iPhone" or "prepaid iPhone"...lots of talk but nothing came about.

To me, I'm not necessarily interested in a smaller iPad. I just want the one I have now to be significantly lighter in weight (sure it could also stand to lose 1mm or 2mm in thickness). Bring on the 4th gen!

I strongly doubt it will happen. Apple hasn't been particularly interested in ever expanding their product line beyond their core products and a smaller iPad doesn't really save them any money.

That being said I am absolutely convinced they have tested various prototypes. It's very clear that Apple does their due diligence, even for products that go against the grain.

SonnyBoy

I purchased an iPad2 for my gf and a Kindle Fire for myself (craigslist). Having used both extensively and having been an iPhone owner since the original, I'd purchase an iPad that was the size of the KF. For what I'd use it for, the smaller form factor is more comfortable. That being said, I'm still going to purchase a regular iPad next year.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
When the new 'Pad comes out I predict it will blow away the current 'Pad (which is barely better than the last one) so I will pick one up and give the current one to baby & wife permanently. If they make a smaller one, I doubt I'll hop on board (hopefully it's not ONLY a smaller one) -- not a huge fan of the Fire (besides the fact that it sucks, I don't like that size unless it's exclusively for reading a la Real Kindle).

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Has anyone any preference between Air Playit and Air Video? I have the latter, and it works great on my main comp, but am tempted to see whether the former is more efficient with its CUDA rendering pipeline on the server.

Air Playit seems like it aped most of the interface off Air Video, and it's free, for those interested in trying. On my modest upload bandwidth (maxes out at 300KB/sec), Air Video transcoded 720p files looked good enough on the iPad 3 screen.

Vyer

The AppleCare and iCloud combo is so damn useful. This happened at 10 pm last night:

Went online made apple store reservation for this morning. Within 45 minutes I'm back home with replacement iPad, backup restored and half my apps are already redownloaded. Very easy.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
The AppleCare and iCloud combo is so damn useful. This happened at 10 pm last night:

Went online made apple store reservation for this morning. Within 45 minutes I'm back home with replacement iPad, backup restored and half my apps are already redownloaded. Very easy.
How much did that cost you?

Went to the apple store today as well, iphone4s speaker died. Got a new one.

Vyer

How much did that cost you?

Went to the apple store today as well, iphone4s speaker died. Got a new one.

It was 50, which I was fine with, since it was my own clumsiness that dropped it faced own on concrete.

Any time I had to replace a phone it cost me nothing, but I wasn't expecting that with the iPad.

mrkgoo

What,s the experience like transferring an old iDevice to a new one? Does the old one get removed from iMessages and find my phone by themselves?

Vyer

What,s the experience like transferring an old iDevice to a new one? Does the old one get removed from iMessages and find my phone by themselves?

Well it's all apple id specific I believe, so once that's connected you have access to any backups you have made under that ID and transfer the one you want. After the restore it asked me for any relevant passwords, including iMessage.

Under iCloud settings you can remove any backup set you want.

NYR

AppleCare for the win.

Peace of mind is priceless. I use my iPad without a smart cover, case or screen protector. The way it's meant it be used - totally different experience.

Yeesh, this kinda makes me edgy, I also use my iPad 3 (naked) and I have no plans of wrapping it up in some cheap eBay/Amazon case, Sorry for this lazy question but How much is Apple care (in Canada)?

NYR

Yeesh, this kinda makes me edgy, I also use my iPad 3 (naked) and I have no plans of wrapping it up in some cheap eBay/Amazon case, Sorry for this lazy question but How much is Apple care (in Canada)?
You need to buy within 30 days of when you bought the iPad, though...you can try to get it outside, they might sell it to you.

Number45

Getting my first iPad next week (for father's day, ssh! it's a surprise) and have been fretting over what case to pick up. I don't want to go overboard because I look after my equipment, but it will spend some time travelling in my messenger bag (it's a very sturdy suede bag) - can anyone comment on this case?

Appreciated.

EDIT: Had also been considering this one.

mrkgoo

Well it's all apple id specific I believe, so once that's connected you have access to any backups you have made under that ID and transfer the one you want. After the restore it asked me for any relevant passwords, including iMessage.

Under iCloud settings you can remove any backup set you want.

Thanks, yeah I figured setting up a new device is easy,I was just wondering if one had to do specific stuff to the old device. Like specifically turn off iMessages, find my phone, etc. like what happens if I get a new device, transfer my old one, and just restore the old device? Will it still be tracked and get sent iMessages? I'm recalling the little trouble they had previously with messages being sent by UUID. I guess that's sorted now though, and it always checks apple ID or something now.

Vyer

Thanks, yeah I figured setting up a new device is easy,I was just wondering if one had to do specific stuff to the old device. Like specifically turn off iMessages, find my phone, etc. like what happens if I get a new device, transfer my old one, and just restore the old device? Will it still be tracked and get sent iMessages? I'm recalling the little trouble they had previously with messages being sent by UUID. I guess that's sorted now though, and it always checks apple ID or something now.

I just did an 'erase all settings and restore'. Clears your apple ID from the device and made it basically like it was when you took it out of the box, on the 'welcome' intiial setup screen. I did this to the broke one since it still turned on but didn't want my data on it any more.

iMessages is meant to be universal across your devices, but still remain apple ID specific I believe. So once the erase and restore is done it should be removed.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Getting my first iPad next week (for father's day, ssh! it's a surprise) and have been fretting over what case to pick up. I don't want to go overboard because I look after my equipment, but it will spend some time travelling in my messenger bag (it's a very sturdy suede bag) - can anyone comment on this case?

Appreciated.

EDIT: Had also been considering this one.

the Moko case is great for the price. i've owned it for a few months so far and it's held up well in my messenger bag on semi-daily trips to work. it does add a bit of heft and thickness, but it protects the device well from drops and scratches. smart cover functionality works great, and all the ports and switches are easily accessible.

Number45

the Moko case is great for the price. i've owned it for a few months so far and it's held up well in my messenger bag on semi-daily trips to work. it does add a bit of heft and thickness, but it protects the device well from drops and scratches. smart cover functionality works great, and all the ports and switches are easily accessible.
Thanks for the feedback. :)

In other news, the postman left the iPad on my porch this morning. FML...

Top Bottom