• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

smart_case.jpg

http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/11/3078713/apple-ipad-smart-case-cover

Quick

Banned
http://images.apple.com/ipad/accessories/images/smart_case.jpg[IMG]

[url]http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/11/3078713/apple-ipad-smart-case-cover[/url][/QUOTE]

A year late, I think, but better late than never.

Looks really nice. I might make the switch to a Smart Cover + Smart Case if they're sold separately to mix and match.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Doesn't look like its separate, but I maaay get it anyways? The smart cover is kind of prone to come off if I do the full 90 degreeish standup with it, this looks like it would hold the case more in place than with just magnetism.

plc268

It doesn't look like the new smart cover is detachable from the back cover, or am I wrong? If it's not, I'll stick with my current setup.

On a side note... who the hell picks the color shades for these smart covers. They're seriously the most ugly color shades you could possibly pick (imo, of course).

VPhys

Finally we get Siri. Too bad I have to wait for IOS 6 release. I'm guessing that will be... September when the iphone 5 comes out.

Number45

Anyone have any links to hands on impressions of that new case? There's plenty of people covering the reveal, but no hands on that I can find at the moment.

Vyer

I got a new iPad as a gift and it has a 1cm scratch on the back, right out of the packaging. I guess it's a tool mark or something, because there wasn't any particle that could have caused it in the plastic wrap that I could see.

Anyway, I'm not worried about it for my own usage but like many of you, I tend to sell my old device to get the next year's model. Any advice? Should I not bother risking getting an iPad with worse problems?

If it bothers you, take it in. It's covered so technically you could exchange it out again if something's wrong with the replacement.

SteveWD40

Quick question: can you, using any kind of app, send multiple attachments on an email at all on an iPad? It's the only thing I feel is holding it back from being a laptop replacement for me, such a simple thing as well.

hirokazu

There's a new case? When did this happen?

That looks quite a bit more practical than the Smart Cover. Shame it didn't come out when the 3rd Gen iPad came out. Oh well.

Got my smart case this morning, I had previously been using an iPad 2 gel back with a knock off smart cover (which was starting to fall apart) Mixed thoughts at the moment, it doesn't fit anywhere near as tight as my previous case but that is probably down to it being an iPad 2 case which is slightly smaller. It doesn't shift around but as I sit here typing this on my lap I can see the top of the case slightly lifting off the device. The sides will flex in if you push them, overall it's not a very snug fit. The smart cover could also do with a tab because it's a little tricky to open as it fits near enough flush with the back.

Positives are I can use the sleep wake function now, the case is lined with microfiber, the openings for ports are very minimal or in the case of the sleep wake button completely covered but kiss the mute switch goodbye. I like having an all in one case rather than separate parts and the smart cover part will hold itself closed if I fold it behind the back of the device.

I'll see how I feel about the tightness of the fit but I may well end up returning this in favour of my old gel skin and a new smart cover.

Yeah, I've been reading some impressions and I'm not convinced. Decided I think to go with the Switcheasy Canvas case instead.

Yeah, it's going back, I can just drop in to an Apple Store can't I? I don't see how this is meant to fit an iPad 2, it would just fall out. I mean, look at this:

You can see straight through the dock connector hole plus it fell over twice when I stood it up as a stand, it's nearly a 90 degree angle. Disappointed.

Tobor

I bought a Smart Case just to check it out. Not bad, but it doesn't fit in the sleeve on my Tom Bihn bag. I'm returning it.

Back to rolling with just a smart cover.

SeanR1221

Ah smart case is exactly what I've been looking for, but I wish they sold the back separately. Don't know what to do with my smart cover :(

Vyer

I have a folder in my bookmarks that, every time I try to edit and move it to the top, it snaps right back to the bottom after a second or two. Anyone dealt with this?

SteveWD40

So, er yeah...looks like Brydge got their funding:

Nearly $800k with a $90k goal

:O

I get it though, the entry level Air is far too expensive (over £800 in the UK), you used to be able to get the entry level macbook for about £650. Turing the iPad into a sort of Air-lite is a cost effective way into the Mac cult.

Sarquiss_

Just realized something strange with my iPad. When I plug it into the wall socket to charge it says that it is charging but when I switch off the screen and then turn it back on in a few seconds it changes to "Not Charging" it does not charge unless I unplug the cable and plug it back in...Never noticed this before.

Should I get in touch with Apple?

Reg

Banned
Does anybody have experience with the apple hdmi adapter? I want to get one for my mom's ipad so she can hook it up to her tv. But her tv's resolution is pretty low at 1,024 x 768 pixels. Would the adapter have any trouble downscaling to that resolution? or do you just need a regular 1080p set?

LCfiner

Does anybody have experience with the apple hdmi adapter? I want to get one for my mom's ipad so she can hook it up to her tv. But her tv's resolution is pretty low at 1,024 x 768 pixels. Would the adapter have any trouble downscaling to that resolution? or do you just need a regular 1080p set?

hmm. I don’t know about 1024 x 768 but I ran it on an older plasma that was 1366 x 768 and it worked fine.

In fact, are you sure the res isn’t 1366 x 768?

a 1024 x 768 set would be 4:3 like older TVs. I don’t know of any HDTVs that ran at that res (maybe an old CRT set?)

anyway, it is the original ipad’s native res so it should work.

Do people find the 16gb ipad is enough? I really only want it to have access to iOS apps but I saw some of the app sizes and I'm thinking I might be pressed for space.

It's $200 difference between the ipad 2 and the 32 new and I don't know if that's something additional I want to spend

Quick

Banned
16GB has been enough for me, but I manage my content. No music, since I have an iPod, and any movies and shows, and books and comics I finish watching and are deleted afterwards.

Do people find the 16gb ipad is enough? I really only want it to have access to iOS apps but I saw some of the app sizes and I'm thinking I might be pressed for space.

It's $200 difference between the ipad 2 and the 32 new and I don't know if that's something additional I want to spend

After getting a 32 GB version, I noticed that 16 GB still would've been enough for me. I used about 3-4 GB.

I'm not going to have any music or video, just gaming and steaming apps. I saw infinity blade was over a gig so I wasn't sure if that was typical of iPad games.

I recently used a family members and noticed they had barely any apps but a full 13 episode tv show and they had no space left.

I suppose I can always delete and redownload as necessary.

Quick

Banned
1GB+ isn't actually common. Infinity Blade, GTA 3, and Max Payne are on that spectrum. Something like Fruit Ninja and Subway Surfers are around 60MB.

MasLegio

Banned
have 64 gb and do not regret it,

free space varies between 3-9 gb

I had a 16gb ipad one before and had to do constant app management on it due to its size limit

Top Bottom