• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

MercuryLS

Banned
Oh, i didn't mean the hinge magnets. I meant the magnets that connect the cover to the screen when closed. I wish those were stronger.

This I agree with, I wish there were magnets on the back too so I could fold it all the way around and it would stick firmly (instead of practically falling off).

Majine

Banned
Oh, i didn't mean the hinge magnets. I meant the magnets that connect the cover to the screen when closed. I wish those were stronger.

Well, a stronger magnet on the opposite side of the hinge could be good when the cover is behind the iPad, but since I hold my hand there anyway it's not that big of a hassle.

Is it fairly easy to jailbreak/root iPads/iOS? I love my Android phone because of the customizability, but I feel like I'd lose a lot of that with the iPad. Yay or nay?

I pre-ordered the black 32GB wi-fi. I wanted an iPad 2 when they first came out but I decided to hold off for a high-res screen. I sold my laptop a few weeks ago to get the new iPad, can't wait to try it out. One of the things im most looking forward to is iBooks and the Marvel Comics app. I have read a few books on my iPhone and I imagine switching to iBook on the new iPad is going to be so much nicer

Is it fairly easy to jailbreak/root iPads/iOS? I love my Android phone because of the customizability, but I feel like I'd lose a lot of that with the iPad. Yay or nay?

I wouldn't expect an iPad 3 jailbreak in the next 30 days. It could happen...but it's impossible to predict at this point.

any iOS device running A4 or below is basically "jailbroken for life" as they say, when a new version of iOS comes out it just takes a little time to make them untethered. However A5 and A5X devices is another story, as of right now they will have to find a new exploit every time a new version of iOS comes out, so it could be awhile before the new iPad or even iPad 2 is jailbreakable again.

With that being said, Ive been using iPhone since the 3GS and back then I loved being jailbroken but with improvements made to iOS over time I barely even miss it at this point. There are a few tweaks I miss like being able to have unlimited icons in folders but its nothing that I cant live without

If customizability is all you care about and you don't care about an incredibly slick and satisfying overall user experience that you can't really break down into bullet points where you have to use the hardware the way apple designs it to be used in order to see the benefits, stay with android.

MercuryLS

Banned
Ok, I need some help. wifi+4g or just wifi? I'm seriously debating which one to get, right now I don't really use my iPad outside my house, library or coffee shop which all have wifi, but I'm thinking that it would be nice to have just in case? Also, if I have it with 4G maybe I'll start using it differently? Maybe I'll bring it with me more knowing that I'm always connected no matter where I am? People that have 3G iPads, has having an always connected tablet changed the way you used them?

MercuryLS

Banned
Ahh I didn't know this. Assumed as much but it's hard to tell.

Actually, looking at the smart cover again, it's not soft plastic, it's hard plastic. Regardless, it's a barrier between the metal iPad and metal hinge on the smart cover. I used it extensively with iPad 2 without issue.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
While white may look relatively good (arguably better) than black when in use, I can't understand how anyone could see white as sexier than black when the device is idle.

T2Ead.png

With black (and this is true of the iPhone/iPods too) it just looks so sleek and monolithic. Just a black slab with an aluminium backing. The screen, camera and sensors just disappears.

On a white iPad all that shit sticks out like a sore thumb. White is still nice, as it may garner more attention as "i'm different" if you're into that sort of thing, but personally it's not even a debate.

Don't get me wrong though, the white iDevices are beautiful, even the iPhone, but black is the way to go imo.

Future black iPad 64GB Wifi+4G buyer here, and if all they were to have is white on the shelf, i'd rather wait a week or two than buy that. :p

Haha, this post just made me switch my order over to a black Ipad. Good job, Sentry. Good job.

mj1108

Ok, I need some help. wifi+4g or just wifi? I'm seriously debating which one to get, right now I don't really use my iPad outside my house, library or coffee shop which all have wifi, but I'm thinking that it would be nice to have just in case? Also, if I have it with 4G maybe I'll start using it differently? Maybe I'll bring it with me more knowing that I'm always connected no matter where I am? People that have 3G iPads, has having an always connected tablet changed the way you used them?

If you have a cell phone that you can wirelessly tether to, just go with the Wifi only one and tether it to your cell. Save $$$$.

Mr. Tone

Will the new Ipad be able to run video at its native resolution?

If so, does anyone have a link to a video that is at that resolution?

The maximum resolution for High@4.1 h.264 is 2048*1024 (or something else that gets you 2,097,152 pixels). So no, I don't think it can run video at native resolution.

madmook

Browsing has yet again been improved on my iPad 1 with iOS 5.1. Can't wait to tool around the web with the iPad 3. The jump in speeds should be especially massive for me because I've never used an iPad 2.

Chose white this time just for a change-up.

MercuryLS

Banned
Browsing has yet again been improved on my iPad 1 with iOS 5.1. Can't wait to tool around the web with the iPad 3. The jump in speeds should be especially massive for me because I've never used an iPad 2.

Chose white this time just for a change-up.

I have to hand it to Apple, I gave them shit before for breaking iPad 1 with iOS 5...making it unstable as hell. iOS 5.1 is a lot better, it's made my parents iPad useable again.

Flipboard, Apple Trailers, Evernote.

I second Flipboard, on Retina it's going to blow my mind. It's already my favourite iOS app ever, can't wait to read articles on the new iPad.

Ambitious

Still not available for preorder here, meh.

By the way - haven't had time to read all the reviews and hands-ons yet, what is the general consensus about the display and the performance?

noah111

Still Alive
I didn't see this retina pic posted yet, it's so beautiful ;_;

Link cause it's a huge image:

New Hotness vs. Old and Busted
It's been posted, but yeah, it is beautiful. I think the best images of the iPad "3" are not the super close up macro pixel comparison shots, but rather the every day viewing distance shots (been posted but wth);

2012-03-07_12-31-00-1024_gallery_post.jpg

Almost certainly not. iPads are complete service plan anomalies from the carrier perspective. Priced like postpaid but with a prepaid style.

Also iPad has MicroSIM.
Hmm, this is a bit confusing to me.

I'm using internet access in Syria with a 3G 100GB a month USB dongle. I just want to know if I could take that sim out of the USB, cut it into a microSIM, and use it on my iPad.. preferably with the hotpot feature.

Blackhead

Redarse
Huh, what's the wrong with the current ones? They can basically carry the iPad itself.

the iPad 3 is 10% heavier with a different weight distribution

I'm using internet access in Syria with a 3G 100GB a month USB dongle. I just want to know if I could take that sim out of the USB, cut it into a microSIM, and use it on my iPad.. preferably with the hotpot feature.
Yes, you can. And goddam, a 100GB allowance on a 3G cap?! Can I come live in Syria and enjoy your wonderous internets :O

123rl

What's the best choice for a Smart Cover for a white iPad? I want the red leather one but I read that it can leave stains and marks on the iPad. Is that right?

Blackhead

Redarse
What's the best choice for a Smart Cover for a white iPad? I want the red leather one but I read that it can leave stains and marks on the iPad. Is that right?

They all leave stains and marks on the iPad. If you're getting a white iPad with a smart cover then you're first concern should be fashion and the red + white combo is one of the best available. Very striking.

123rl

They all leave stains and marks on the iPad. If you're getting a white iPad with a smart cover then you're first concern should be fashion and the red + white combo is one of the best available. Very striking.

Is it just the leather ones that do this or all of them?

Yaska

the iPad 3 is 10% heavier with a different weight distribution

Yes, you can. And goddam, a 100GB allowance on a 3G cap?! Can I come live in Syria and enjoy your wonderous internets :O

Unlimited 3g cap here \o/ and costs me like 12 euros a month.

Absinthe

I've jailbroken every iPhone since the first, all the way up to the current, and my iPad. Once the JB is out, it's easy, and the new iPad will be jailbroken probably 60-90 days after release.

The customizability is there with Cydia, and it makes the device much better with things like Lockinfo, SBS Settings, BiteSMS, Activator, and other things like 5-icon dock/infinifolders.

It's not as flexible as Android, but the IOS experience is much smoother and fluid.

Top Bottom