• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I want to buy my first iPad this month.

Is the new iPad worth $100 more than iPad2? Serious answers only please.

do you have $100 you can easily afford? If so, then get the new one. its just better.

if its a stretch, then what will you use it for? If lots of reading (web pages, comics, magazines) then the retina display should be worth the upgrade in cost.

if you just want a general coffee table grabbable internet device, or something to watch movies on, you could consider saving the $100. BTW, if you choose the ipad 2, check out the refurb store. As-new but $349, saving $150

mrklaw

MrArseFace
is the smart cover the best choice for an 'around the house' cover? only had an ipad 1, skipped the 2 so not up to speed on cases etc.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Editing Raw files on iPhoto iOS is worthless, it only manipulates an embedded Jpeg file with in the Raw. god damn it Apple give me pro level software already.

who realistically is going to do final edits on RAW files on an ipad? Quick tweaks to show clients in a studio setting maybe. Quick edits before uploading to your office maybe. But proper edits will surely always be done back at base on a computer?

noah111

Still Alive
Johnny Ive. He could stand on stage for 59 minutes not saying anything and it'd be interesting.
This this this this this. Fuck, every time he speaks you just have to listen. It sucks that he is only in charge of design, so is in no real place to give a whole conference on everything Apple, but I wish he could.

Unlimited 3g cap here \o/ and costs me like 12 euros a month.
Well it costs me 10,000 syrian pounds a month, however much that is in dollars. It isn't cheap, but the whole house uses it via internet sharing on my MBP so we usually end up damn near the cap.

Aaron

is the smart cover the best choice for an 'around the house' cover? only had an ipad 1, skipped the 2 so not up to speed on cases etc.
I didn't like the smart cover at all. Ignoring that it doesn't really protect anything, the big streaks it leaves on the screen were annoying. I didn't like having to wipe the screen every time I wanted to use it. Defeated the purpose of a cover. I have a microfiber bag originally for a netbook that I use for casual protection.

numble

Match it with a cheap back cover and you're good to go. Maybe even find a knock-off smart cover if you're so inclined.

rmtkp.png

tPqvJ.gif

Don't make me killhate you.

noah111

Still Alive
I didn't like the smart cover at all. Ignoring that it doesn't really protect anything, the big streaks it leaves on the screen were annoying. I didn't like having to wipe the screen every time I wanted to use it. Defeated the purpose of a cover. I have a microfiber bag originally for a netbook that I use for casual protection.
Is it really that bad? What is the cause of this, grease build up on the inside of the cover, or what? If that's the case I would think all you need to do is wipe down the inside of the case well enough.

Aaron

Is it really that bad? What is the cause of this, grease build up on the inside of the cover, or what? If that's the case I would think all you need to do is wipe down the inside of the case well enough.
I think it's the way the case comes into contact with the screen. The hard case I use, logitech keyboard case, never touches the screen at all. Also, the smart case construction is kind of shoddy for an Apple product. When I stopped using mine after four months or so it was starting to fall apart.

123rl

Still processing for me. I'm pissed off with Apple. I ordered a 32GB, cancelled it 5 minutes later, and bought the 64GB instead. They charged my card for both and I still haven't had my money back. That's almost £950 'pending' on my card. Apple say it will take about 5-7 days to refund the cancelled iPad. Fuck you, Apple.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
when did you order it precisely?

around 12pm Melbourne time. About 7 hours after the conference started.

could it be the engraving, maybe? Those without are listed as processing and can cancel, those with are "pushed forward" in status so they can't cancel, or something?

around 12pm Melbourne time. About 7 hours after the conference started.

could it be the engraving, maybe? Those without are listed as processing and can cancel, those with are "pushed forward" in status so they can't cancel, or something?

A friend ordered his a couple of hours after you and its still processing, so yeah maybe.

Anyone from the UK had their order move beyond Processing Items yet?

Still on processing here too. Folks on macrumors are saying that UK folk won't get a shipment update until a couple of days before because our iPads won't come directly from China but go to Cork, Ireland first. I have no idea if this is correct or not.

Hoo-doo

Banned

I'd recommend any slim, book-style cover over the Apple Smartcover if you care about protecting it from accidental fall damage or scratching the back. Check out Belkin's Slim Folio covers.

In my daily use, the iPad is sliding around on my desk, on tables and different surfaces around the house constantly. Not having something covering the back at all times would have probably scratched it to hell.

JonnyBrad

Still on processing here too. Folks on macrumors are saying that UK folk won't get a shipment update until a couple of days before because our iPads won't come directly from China but go to Cork, Ireland first. I have no idea if this is correct or not.

Everything goes through Ireland first for tax purposes.

As an iPhone 4 and MacBook pro owner, is an iPad really additive?

Sell it to me folks! What's it like to be an iPad owner?
It's not for everyone. My friend has an iPhone 4 and MBP, and he got rid of his iPad 2 after a few months because he realised he wasn't using it. For him, it didn't offer any major advantages over the iPhone, and he complained about the weight, saying 'there is no comfortable way to hold it (for long periods)'. I have to agree, it is too heavy to hold comfortably in one hand, compared to... an iPhone, or a Kindle. And it just got marginally heavier too.

His other complaint was that the screen wasn't anywhere near as crisp has his iPhone 4, so while it was a better size for viewing photos and movies, in terms of 'real estate' for text and icons, it wasn't much different. Obviously that's now been resolved with the new one.

He struggled to justify it, often asking me 'what do you use it for?'

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
In my daily use, the iPad is sliding around on my desk, on tables and different surfaces around the house constantly. Not having something covering the back at all times would have probably scratched it to hell.

I second that, the screen is more durable than the back, so get that protected as a priority.

noah111

Still Alive
It's not for everyone. My friend has an iPhone 4 and MBP, and he got rid of his iPad 2 after a few months because he realised he wasn't using it. For him, it didn't offer any major advantages over the iPhone, and he complained about the weight, saying 'there is no comfortable way to hold it (for long periods)'. I have to agree, it is too heavy to hold comfortably in one hand, compared to... an iPhone, or a Kindle. And it just got marginally heavier too.

His other complaint was that the screen wasn't anywhere near as crisp has his iPhone 4, so while it was a better size for viewing photos and movies, in terms of 'real estate' for text and icons, it wasn't much different. Obviously that's now been resolved with the new one.

He struggled to justify it, often asking me 'what do you use it for?'
All I own is an iPhone 4 and MacBook Pro. I used to have an iPad 1 but I barely ever use it now as it's become a device for the kids to watch Disney movies, play games and do math/educational tests on.

When I DID have the iPad though, it was just a way to do ANYTHING that I didn't need to do exclusively on my MBP. Instead of deciding to do certain tasks on my i4 vs MBP, I just use the iPad comfortably.

Obviously it isn't for everyone, but having everything you need on a truly portable device (versus MBP) that is at the same time fully capable of performing most tasks enjoyably (vs i4) is why it's worth it imo.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I figure the black frame has a big advantage over the white frame in terms of screen viewing. But how much worse is it to look at a white iPad? Does it distract/clash at all anywhere?

SyNapSe

I figure the black frame has a big advantage over the white frame in terms of screen viewing. But how much worse is it to look at a white iPad? Does it distract/clash at all anywhere?

I had a white 2 and it never really bothered me. I ordered a black ipad this time. We'll see how I like it. I like how it looks just laying about but I'm worried the black edges will be smudged all the time and that will bothered me. :( The white never showed any fingerprints or anything.

edit: mine is preparing to ship now as well. Wouldn't this be pretty early? Standard shipping to most parts of the US is only 2-3 days. It'd be nice if preorders got it a few days early.

LCfiner

I had the white for a year and didn't mind it as I use the ipad for web browsing more than anything else. most pages I view have white backgrounds.

now, this is really nitpicking but the biggest issue I had with the white bezel was that it made the thin black space between the edge of the LCD and the interior edge of the bezel much more noticeable. this space also made the distance between glass and LCD more noticeable (when looking slightly off angle). It's not a clean break from bezel to content - there's this 1 or 2mm wide gap all around the screen.

with the black bezel, you can't really tell as easily. it's just pure black till you get to the screen.

It shipped!

The tracking number takes me to UPS (which is interesting, because the smart cover is being shipped via FedEx), where it says it is currently in Chengdu, China. UPS estimates it to be delivered on the 16th, so there goes the hope that it would get here Tuesday.

But, it shipped!

DJ88

I didn't get a white iPad just to make a fashion statement, or to be different. I got it because I think it looks so nice when you're browsing the net and white pages blend in with the border. Just like the white iPad sticks out like a sore thumb when it's off, the black one sticks out when you're browsing almost any webpage. Browsing the web is what I'll be doing on it 90% of the time, I'm not looking at it when it's off, so I decided to buy my first white iOS device

Blackhead

Redarse
I didn't get a white iPad just to make a fashion statement, or to be different. I got it because I think it looks so nice when you're browsing the net and white pages blend in with the border. Just like the white iPad sticks out like a sore thumb when it's off, the black one sticks out when you're browsing almost any webpage. Browsing the web is what I'll be doing on it 90% of the time, I'm not looking at it when it's off, so I decided to buy my first white iOS device

... balderdash pickle humbug poppycock piffle %$@!

Talon

Still processing for me. I'm pissed off with Apple. I ordered a 32GB, cancelled it 5 minutes later, and bought the 64GB instead. They charged my card for both and I still haven't had my money back. That's almost £950 'pending' on my card. Apple say it will take about 5-7 days to refund the cancelled iPad. Fuck you, Apple.

This is standard operating procedure with banks/credit card institutions. In reality, you usually get your money back in 48 hours.

Falch

So, is there an official apple casing for the new ipad yet? I've always used the one on my iPad 1, thing still looks brand new.

Falch

Hmm you're actually making me doubt getting a black ipad again.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

It... it's beautiful.

numble

The Smart Cover and other covers diminishes the need to look flush when idle--you're going to be idling with a cover on, and white goes better with those non-leather smart covers, anyway.

White is pretty good with reading material.

I got White because when I asked my girlfriend if I should get White or Black, she said White.

see there is a big flaw with your statement, would you get a white TV? and would you get a white Kindle. There is a reason they changed the color from white to dark charcoal. The white when reading white pages is offsetting, while holding the black one gives you the feeling you are actually reading a book because there is no 'blend' plus the corner contrast between the white pages and black bezel makes you appreciate the text more, you read it with comfort. Now if you have an app or page with a dark screen, it looks ugly especially with the white bezel but it looks beautiful with the black bezel because when the colors are dark, the blend is is important for the eye to feel comfortable.

White is more of a fashion statement, that its beautiful to look at..until you use the iPad itself, then it becomes more practical to use black.

Can you guys help me?

I'm looking for a sleeve for the iPad, and there's one I quite like.
eb78_portal2_aperture_ipad_sleeve.jpg

However, I'm interested if there are any other gaming/film etc themed sleeves (official ones perhaps?) that are available, or that you guys would recommend.
Hell, they can be non game related. I'm having a hard time due to all the really crappy ones that seem to be in abundance.
Cheers

Hmm you're actually making me doubt getting a black ipad again.
Do not listen to him. I owned both colours, and the black is much much better. The white frame highlights the thin gap between the frame and the panel. It's a thin black line, and in many cases not quite lined up. I tested three white iPad 2s and they all had an LCD slightly misaligned to the left (holding it portrait). This was very noticeable because when the screen was on, there was a slightly thicker black line on the right than on the left. With the black model, this thin black line is never seen, whether it is on or off.

Found a picture...

5492760036_56a8f7c9e4.jpg

See the gap? You don't see that on the black model.

Top Bottom