• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Custom notification times for calendar events. How do I set them? And if it is not possible to set a custom time, what is the to go calendar app that does?

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
I feel like I'm the only one who likes Instacast, and liked the changes in the new version.

i vastly prefer Instacast and Downcast to Apple's pocasting app for when i want to download and sync between devices. but i also prefer Tunein Radio to quickly stream a podcast since it starts up and refreshes quicker than the other apps mentioned.

Podcast's interface on the iPad doesn't work for me. oh well.

So I'm likely getting a new iPad, however do I need iTunes to make as make significant changes to it like I do with the iPod? Can I do everything with just the iPad?

Sorry its been a while since I've used Apple products.

Also is 16GB enough for just casual use? Or am I going to find out that that 16GB goes by very fast? All I'm going to use it for is internet browsing and school notes. I'd like to watch a movie or listen to must once in a while but I am sure there is some sort of adapter so it acts like a HDD (I rarely keep films and music on my desktop PC, let alone I would do so on a tablet).

Number45

So I'm likely getting a new iPad, however do I need iTunes to make as make significant changes to it like I do with the iPod? Can I do everything with just the iPad?

Had mine for a couple of weeks now and I haven't hooked it up to the PC once. It'll depend where your content is I guess if you need to transfer things to it.

numble

Also is 16GB enough for just casual use? Or am I going to find out that that 16GB goes by very fast? All I'm going to use it for is internet browsing and school notes. I'd like to watch a movie or listen to must once in a while but I am sure there is some sort of adapter so it acts like a HDD (I rarely keep films and music on my desktop PC, let alone I would do so on a tablet).
16 gb is fine if you don't play too many games, put too much music/video on it, or take too many videos/photos.

Last question, is the close ecosystem that big of a deal? Or is it like Steam in which you would rarely notice? I guess what I'm also asking is are there a lot of good freeware programs for iOS (specifically ones that don't use advertising)?

I'm a Linux guy, so I'm obviously spoiled.

Had mine for a couple of weeks now and I haven't hooked it up to the PC once. It'll depend where your content is I guess if you need to transfer things to it.

I just remember disliking hooking my iPod up to iTunes just to transfer simple things like songs and programs.

Vyer

Last question, is the close ecosystem that big of a deal? Or is it like Steam in which you would rarely notice? I guess what I'm also asking is are there a lot of good freeware programs for iOS (specifically ones that don't use advertising)?

I'm a Linux guy, so I'm obviously spoiled.

I just remember disliking hooking my iPod up to iTunes just to transfer simple things like songs and programs.

That's probably going to depend on the program, and what you want to do.

For any of the day to day stuff I do with my ipad, I've don't think I've ever been bothered by (or really cared much about) the 'closed' ecosystem.

Does Instacast allow me to make a playlist somehow? I wish I could listen to consecutive podcasts while commuting.

I don't remember trying it when I used Instacast, but I know that Downcast does.

Kerrinck

Can anyone recommend a good video player for the new ipad? Preferably with subtitle support.
Was using cinexplayer but it likes to crash a lot.

Anyone using Chrome?

Tried it this morning.

Buttery smooth, looks CRISP...but tab navigation eww IMO..I opened about 12 tabs and had no idea what they were, because they were all bunched up

But I'll try it for another few days. Shame you can't switch the default browser/email client

Ambitious

Could you recommend me a nice-looking aluminium iPad stand for my desk? I'd like to be able to adjust the vertical and the horizontal (portrait/landscape) angle.

I'm currently having a look on the UpStand and the HexaPose stand.. anyone got one of them?

Aiii

So not worth it
Anyone using Chrome?

Tried it this morning.

Buttery smooth, looks CRISP...but tab navigation eww IMO..I opened about 12 tabs and had no idea what they were, because they were all bunched up

But I'll try it for another few days. Shame you can't switch the default browser/email client

Actually, there's a nice swipe functions to the tabs, I might prefer this over having tons of small tabs that you can't read like in Safari.

Really am liking it so far, the voice search works very well, it looks great and since it's using the Safari rendering engine being forced on them, I don't need to optimize all the special tablet websites I've made for the Chrome on iPad (yay Apple for your strictness). \o/

How can i activate autocomplete in the chrome app? It's definetely picking my passwords as i can see them in the settings, but i have to manually enter them every time...

The Google Search App in the itunes store:

mza_7517504366786721498.480x480-75.jpg

The same page on my ipad:

img0067i.png

How can I add applications to this bitch? I tried "installing" the maps web app on my homescreen but that won't do the trick.

cubanb

Banned
I just installed ios6 on my Ipad 3. I am having trouble logging into my apple id. Did something go wrong with my install or is itunes down or something?

New iPad Allegedly Launching This Summer

Well, while it’s not quite the 7.65-inch iPad mini we’ve been expecting, Apple is allegedly planning to announce a revamped iPad this summer. The tablet will reportedly pack the same sized 9.7-inch display as the current generation iPad but, according to DigiTimes, which cited Apple Daily, it will feature a new indium gallium zinc oxide panel. We’re not exactly chemists around here, but that apparently means it will be thinner and offer better battery life than any iPad that came before it. Sharp will make the display, instead of Samsung, the news outlet said. We’re guessing this iPad could be announced alongside the iPad mini, which will reportedly be announced in August, and perhaps even the iPhone 5.

More like these sites are catching wind of what's in store for the next iPad to launch next year.

Although crazy things could happen. There is absolutely no way a new 9.7in iPad will release this year. No way at all. Now a 7.85in? Maybe. Although I still have an uneasy feeling about that one simply due to Apple's need for a decent profit margin. I just don't see them going below $300 on any tablet (despite iMore claiming a $200-$250 price being the target).

Just dropping in to say the new iPad is nice. Skydive is blowing my mind and is going to be immensely useful. Happy that I had access to 25 free GB from my student Hotmail account.

I'll be going into university for Engineering. I found most of my textbooks online as a PDF as well.

Would it be worth it to buy an iPad for me? I already own a 2011 MacBook Air and an iPhone as well.

Can you use the various Google apps easily through Chrome on iPad? I was kind of planning on just switching from Google Calendar to the Calendar app that comes installed on iPads, but if I have easy access to it I'd probably just stick with Google. Same for Reader, I was planning on switching Reeder or whatever, but maybe I won't have to.

I'd go as far as saying that the iPad (with retina) is the best device on the market for PDF reading due to the screen, battery life, and form factor.

The only issue I've had with it is loading extremely large PDFs. This is the one instance where the high res screen seems to outpace the lack of brute force power. But I sincerely doubt any single page of a book is anywhere near the 42 MB map I was using. And even then I just had to wait a couple minutes for it to be completely clear.

Some of these textbooks are 1000 pages in length, but don't have many pictures on them. Would that be slow to open and read through?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Question all. The iPad 3 cable for charging is obviously not very long so I bought a USB extension cable (Amazon branded) to let me site further away from the outlet while charging. I've found the iPad charges a lot slower with the extension though. Is this due to the length of the cable? Or just that it's an extender?

Are there any extension cables that will allow the iPad to charge just as fast as if you weren't using an extension?

jts

...hate me...
Question all. The iPad 3 cable for charging is obviously not very long so I bought a USB extension cable (Amazon branded) to let me site further away from the outlet while charging. I've found the iPad charges a lot slower with the extension though. Is this due to the length of the cable? Or just that it's an extender?

Are there any extension cables that will allow the iPad to charge just as fast as if you weren't using an extension?
Yeah, this thing:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002PIYA6U/?tag=neogaf0e-20

jts

...hate me...
That's for a MacBook though... (that's probably the joke).

Is there no extension cable for iPad that won't slow charging?
No, that's not the joke at all. I use my MacBook extension cord with the iPad charger all the time. You just replace that removable plug with the cord and it's done.

But actually you can do that with an assortment of power cords of that type, such as the one that comes with the Apple TV, PS1, PS2, PS3 (slim), current Mac mini, etc. The official one just looks better.

I'll probably be getting one too since it's cheap and that way I don't have to switch the cord between the Macbook and the iPad back and forth.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
No, that's not the joke at all. I use my MacBook extension cord with the iPad charger all the time. You just replace that removable plug with the cord and it's done.

But actually you can do that with an assortment of power cords of that type, such as the one that comes with the Apple TV, PS1, PS2, PS3 (slim), current Mac mini, etc.

Hmm interesting. I don't see what you'd take off on that cord to plug it into a USB end of the iPad cord though, or even the pin connected directly into the iPad. Maybe that picture isn't doing me any favors. I'll take a look.

Edit: I think I see now. So you plug the plug into the wall, and then the other end fits on the iPad wall charger brick by removing the prongs right?

jts

...hate me...
Hmm interesting. I don't see what you'd take off on that cord to plug it into a USB end of the iPad cord though, or even the pin connected directly into the iPad. Maybe that picture isn't doing me any favors. I'll take a look.

Edit: I think I see now. So you plug the plug into the wall, and then the other end fits on the iPad wall charger brick by removing the prongs right?
Exactly.

My iPad and Macbook chargers with their wall plugs swapped:

iiqrb6lOiAZQu.jpg

Works a treat, really.

Blackhead

Redarse
Corrupt App Store binaries crashing on launch

Marco said:
Last night, within minutes of Apple approving the Instapaper 4.2.3 update, I was deluged by support email and Twitter messages from customers saying that it crashed immediately on launch, even with a clean install.

This didn’t make sense — obviously, Apple had reviewed it, and it worked for them. My submitted archive from Xcode worked perfectly. But every time I downloaded the update from the App Store, clean or not, it crashed instantly.

Lots of anxiety and research led me to the problem: a seemingly corrupt update being distributed by the App Store in some regions, including at least the U.S. and U.K., but seemingly not all — as far as I can tell, the corrupt file never hit Australia, at least.

And this is happening to other apps, not just Instapaper, updated in the last few days.

Characterizations of this issue:
  • The app crashes immediately on launch, every time, even after a delete and reinstall as long as the corrupt file is being served by the App Store.
  • It doesn’t even show the Default.png before crashing. Just a split-second of a partial fade to black, then back to Springboard.
  • It may only affect customers in some regions.
  • If updating from iTunes, some customers might get a dialog citing error 8324 or 8326.
    Mac apps might show this dialog:
    “[App] is damaged and can’t be opened. Delete [App] and download it again from the App Store.”
  • The console might show:
    Code:
    AppleFairplayTextCrypterSession::fairplayOpen() failed, error -42110

I emailed App Review less than an hour after the update went live and yelled about it on Twitter. About two hours after the update went live, a correct, functional version of it started being distributed on reinstalls. As far as I know, the problem hasn’t recurred since then.

I haven’t yet received a response from App Review, so I don’t know whether the fix was because I made noise, or because a cache expired somewhere that forced the problematic CDN nodes to redownload the binary correctly.

The only fix for people with bad copies, once good copies are being served again by the App Store, is to delete and reinstall the app.

I’ve heard reports of this happening with numerous updates released on July 3 and July 4, including:
  • Instapaper, obviously
  • GoodReader (more info)
  • Readdle Scanner Pro
  • Threadnote
  • Please Stay Calm
  • SMARTReporter (Mac)
  • Metronome+
  • PDX Bus
  • Pair
  • Angry Birds Space HD Free
  • Gaia GPS
  • Redshift
  • Flick Soccer

Please contact me if you know of others, and I’ll add them to the list.

If you’re a developer, and you have a non-critical update pending release, I suggest waiting a few days for this to presumably get sorted out before releasing it.

Because if this happens to you, all of your most active users, the people who will install updates within hours of them becoming available, will be stopped in their tracks. They’ll think you’re careless, incompetent, and sloppy for issuing a release that doesn’t work. And they’ll leave you a lot of angry 1-star reviews.

Apple: This is a serious problem. It’s not isolated. Please fix this.

dream

1) congratulations on shedding the albatross.

2) Have you ever seen this before?
Photo%202012-07-04%209%2026%2026%20PM.png

Neither numbler nor I can figure out why that popped up.

Exactly.

My iPad and Macbook chargers with their wall plugs swapped:

Works a treat, really.

Yep. In fact, Apple's "world travel kit" is just a small iPhone/iPad charger block with the different plugs for each region as seperate pieces. (Really annoying to have to buy all those regions you don't need, but cool that it's really the same base piece for every region)

The only device that doesn't work well with this modularity is Plugbug (small red device - turns your macbook charger into a macbook + iDevice charger) since for some ridiculous reason they built the plug into their device instead of letting users daisychain the extension cord onto it.

Top Bottom