• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Hi guys, has anyone here tried the bookbook cover? I'm looking for a robust, functional and good looking cover and it looks like a good solution.

alekth

Does anyone use only their iPad for college with a bluetooth keyboard? If so, is it comfortable to use and does it feel like it's a compromise? I'm thinking about selling the MacBook Pro that I'll get in a scholarship, so I can purchase the new iPad. The reason I want the iPad is so I can play tablet games and browse the web at home. However; is Pages a good replacement for Word?

I use mine like that in college, but it's just for taking notes (and I use Evernote, having switched not from Word but from OneNote on my laptop for those purposes - I wasn't doing heavily formatted notes in the first place so switching wasn't really a problem). Though I switched to tablet mainly for reading through scanned textbooks and spare myself carrying several of them.
Should be seeing MS release Office for it end of the year (though no idea whether I will get it as I only use it when the time for submitting papers comes), I haven't tried Apple's Pages/Numbers etc.

Vormund

I normally use mine to take notes in work meetings which I can then grab off my Mac via iCloud. Works for me.

Also I just started using a stylus that came with my case. It's not bad actually. (borderline sacrilege to most though)

My main grip about producing content on ipad is that the best editors (apple iwork suite) have no dropbox or skydrive support, and that the ones who does usually are lacking in usability, interface and compatibility with office on desktop...

Hopefully, the long rumored office for ipad will have both issues fixed...

coldfoot

Banned
My main grip about producing content on ipad is that the best editors (apple iwork suite) have no dropbox or skydrive support, and that the ones who does usually are lacking in usability, interface and compatibility with office on desktop...

Hopefully, the long rumored office for ipad will have both issues fixed...

I doubt MS Office on the iPad will support the cloud outside of SkyDrive.

SteveWD40

The iPad is so close to being a great laptop replacement, I think by the time Office comes out it will be (they reckon November, giving Win8 RT tablets a month headstart).

It just needs better file management and email software, being able to send multiple attachments on one email (possible with the right app) should be baked into the default mail app for example. Accessing files / storing files outside of apps would be nice but I would settle for proper support for Google Drive / Dropbox in all productivity apps.

Blackhead

Redarse
Took them long enough...

Next Issue for iPad
★ All yours for one low price - read as many magazines as you want with our Unlimited Plans - Immerse yourself and discover the breadth of great stories, writing and photography within our catalog. All without the hassles of magazines piling up at home, lugging them on trips or recycling.

Available magazines include:

All You, Allure, Better Homes and Gardens, Bon Appétit, Brides, Car and Driver, Coastal Living, Condé Nast Traveler, Cooking Light, ELLE, Entertainment Weekly, Esquire, Essence, Fitness, Fortune, Glamour, Golf, Golf Digest, GQ, Health, InStyle, Money, Parents, People, People Style Watch, Popular Mechanics, Real Simple, Self, Southern Living, Sports Illustrated, Sunset, The New Yorker, This Old House, TIME, Vanity Fair, Vogue, Wired plus more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sk079o_2FHo

Blackhead

Redarse
How much is the unlimited monthly plan supposed to be? Any word so far?

USA only
$9.99 for all monthly magazines
14.99 for all monthly magazines + all weekly magazines

NB: The weekly magazines are
Entertainment Weekly
People
Sports Illustrated
The New Yorker
Time

Poor app is already get 1-star reviews because users can't understand why there isn't a sign up page or link to the website in-app :|

Edit:
Next Issue said:
iPad®: Why isn't there retina screen support for iPad3?

All our magazines are currently delivered in standard resolution across all iPad models since that is the format used by the majority of our magazine titles. However you can expect to see us add the higher resolution capabilities as the title selection increases later in the year
*blurgh*

Number45

Not sure if this is the best place to ask (entirely new ground for me so I don't which part of GAF to ask!), but is there a way I can get hold of the Ghost In The Shell material for the iPad? English obviously.

Don't have my iPad with me right now so I can't search the app store (and searching appshopper hasn't been fruitful).

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I've never seen this thread until now. I have 2 3rd gen models 32 gig wifi and 32 gig wifi+at&t

I'm pretty sure it's an easy answer for this but does the podcast app for ios sync with itunes podcast? I've been reading some post on apple's help board about it not working but those post were from a few weeks ago.

GhaleonEB

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask in, but I have a question about our iPad 2. We used it entirely at home over our password protected wi-fi, and then for a month on vacation using mostly 3G. Now we're back home, and the iPad is unable to sign onto the wi-fi network at home, and is stuck on 3G.

Opening Safari does not prompt the password, and when I select our network from the Settings --> Wi-Fi options, I get the message "Unable to join the network". But it doesn't bother to prompt for the password (which is still in effect, and the wi-fi is working, on our laptop).

Any ideas? I'm not sure how to get the prompt to enter the network password; it used to pop up on its own.

Quick

Banned
Not sure if this is the right thread to ask in, but I have a question about our iPad 2. We used it entirely at home over our password protected wi-fi, and then for a month on vacation using mostly 3G. Now we're back home, and the iPad is unable to sign onto the wi-fi network at home, and is stuck on 3G.

Opening Safari does not prompt the password, and when I select our network from the Settings --> Wi-Fi options, I get the message "Unable to join the network". But it doesn't bother to prompt for the password (which is still in effect, and the wi-fi is working, on our laptop).

Any ideas? I'm not sure how to get the prompt to enter the network password; it used to pop up on its own.

Have you tried tapping on the arrow beside your WiFi network and selecting "Forget this network" and just reconnecting it again from scratch?

GhaleonEB

Have you tried tapping on the arrow beside your WiFi network and selecting "Forget this network" and just reconnecting it again from scratch?

Nope, I thought that would make it harder to reconnect to that one. Just did it, and was able to connect from there. Thanks.

Vyer

I've never seen this thread until now. I have 2 3rd gen models 32 gig wifi and 32 gig wifi+at&t

I'm pretty sure it's an easy answer for this but does the podcast app for ios sync with itunes podcast? I've been reading some post on apple's help board about it not working but those post were from a few weeks ago.

Seems like its it's own standalone thing, at least I don't see anywhere in the app to sync.

To be honest it's been so long since I plugged my iPhone into iTunes (I've never connected my iPad) I don't think I have any subs to test with.

Quick

Banned
Nope, I thought that would make it harder to reconnect to that one. Just did it, and was able to connect from there. Thanks.

Glad that worked for you. Usually the best course of action (for me, at least) when you have a connection issue with a Wi-Fi network.

Blackhead

Redarse
TouchFire: The iPad’s Keyboard Gets Physical
TIME said:
yckRb.jpg

Last November, I wrote about TouchFire, a Kickstarter-funded gizmo that aimed to make iPad input comfier, faster and more accurate by letting you type on a clear piece of silicone rubber with cushioned “keys” that sit on top of the iPad’s on-screen ones. At the time, it was supposed to ship in December, but a series of unexpected design and manufacturing challenges–chronicled by its creators on Kickstarter–delayed its release.

TouchFire is finally ready. It’s $49.99, works with all three generations of iPad and is now for sale. The company provided me with one for review...

Meh?! This seems so ancient after Microsoft showed off the Surface keyboards.

Hi

So I'm curious. I'm still "slumming" it with the 1st gen Ipad. Considering all I use it for is a bit of light youtube, net browsing and a bit of light gaming is there THAT much more reason to get the 3rd gen atm?

I know about the improved screen etc, was just wondering

Thanks.

How many of you guys are going to continue on th upgrade cycle? I had an iPad 2, then got the 3rd gen. Will probably go back to 64gb with the 4th gen and keep that one for a few years.

Hi

So I'm curious. I'm still "slumming" it with the 1st gen Ipad. Considering all I use it for is a bit of light youtube, net browsing and a bit of light gaming is there THAT much more reason to get the 3rd gen atm?

I know about the improved screen etc, was just wondering

Thanks.

The screen really does make a huge difference. The 3rd gen is also going to be lighter and thinner than the 1st gen. You would likely use it more than your current one. That said, you could probably find a cheaper iPad 2.

Number45

How many of you guys are going to continue on th upgrade cycle? I had an iPad 2, then got the 3rd gen. Will probably go back to 64gb with the 4th gen and keep that one for a few years.
This is my first - I went with the 64GB to be safe, at the end of a year (or two, let's see what next year brings) I'll see what my usage is like and adjust accordingly.

At current pricing a yearly upgrade is probably unsustainable so I will likely move to an every-other-year strategy. I like to have the most recent model for development reasons, but it's pretty unlikely I would get an 8" iPad, for instance.

For current/new users, the iPad 2 really is remarkable. Perfect thinness, minimal weight, no heat. I love the iPad 3 for features but the iPad 2 is clearly the king in external appeal.

Quick

Banned

I'll probably skip the 4th gen and jump on the 5th. A yearly purchase would kill my wallet.

Same with my iPhone. Already got a 4S, so I'll probably jump on the 7th gen iPhone.

Quick

Banned
I'm liking the Smart Case a lot. Probably not as durable as my Intellicase, but it's a lot lighter. I think I'll go back to the Intellicase for any long trips I'll be going to in the future.

Cyport

Brought an iPad (3rd gen) with a smart case the other day. Haven't had any issues with the case and my iPad fits into the case snugly. It's quite hard getting it into and out of the case but there aren't sliding issues and it's really worth getting in my opinion!

Just been researching apps for playing avi or mp4 files with srt support but not very clear on which app is the best. What would you recommend?

kinggroin

Banned
Thinking of returning the iPad 3 for a new one, selling it, and buying an iPad 2 and nexus 7. Never thought my android phone would give me better performance than my iOS device.

The 2, damn what a beast. I think I could live without the higher res display anyway.

Number45

so is it still a good time to buy an ipad or should i just wait a few months to see if a new ipad is announced?
If a new iPad is announced later this year it seems certain to be a smaller size, so I'd factor that into it - I can't see them releasing a new 10" model before normal time next year.

Christopher

I wish their NES, Genesis, and SNES games that were on the iPad that would make me really happy that I would have these games forever (on the cloud) and all on one platform.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Brought an iPad (3rd gen) with a smart case the other day. Haven't had any issues with the case and my iPad fits into the case snugly. It's quite hard getting it into and out of the case but there aren't sliding issues and it's really worth getting in my opinion!

Just been researching apps for playing avi or mp4 files with srt support but not very clear on which app is the best. What would you recommend?
Check AVPlayerHD or OPlayerHD (has a free lite version).

coldfoot

Banned
Gave mine to my Dad, took the HP touchpad that I gifted to him and installed android on it so I have something to watch movies on when I go to work out.
iPad is definitely superior with dat screen, but it was a bit too heavy for me. Will buy the 7.85" iPad when it comes out.

Is there a way in to have Notes Plus! stop resetting my page everytime I try to move a text box? I'm toward the bottom of the page and once I tap an existing text box to move it the view jumps to the top of the page.

kr2t0s

Is there a way in to have Notes Plus! stop resetting my page everytime I try to move a text box? I'm toward the bottom of the page and once I tap an existing text box to move it the view jumps to the top of the page.

I have no great solution and I hate to be that guy - but I downloaded Notes Plus again after reading your post. It was one of those things where I was like, 'oh yeah - I used to have that app' and I deleted it within 2 seconds.

Maybe there is some specific reason why you are using it? But for a note taking app (using a stylus) I would really recommend Noteshelf or Notability. There are a few other good ones - Upad, Remarks, but the first 2 do seem to be better than anything else.

Sorry I don't know how to answer your question but my gut feeling is that Notes Plus is just a bad app.

I have no great solution and I hate to be that guy - but I downloaded Notes Plus again after reading your post. It was one of those things where I was like, 'oh yeah - I used to have that app' and I deleted it within 2 seconds.

Maybe there is some specific reason why you are using it? But for a note taking app (using a stylus) I would really recommend Noteshelf or Notability. There are a few other good ones - Upad, Remarks, but the first 2 do seem to be better than anything else.

Sorry I don't know how to answer your question but my gut feeling is that Notes Plus is just a bad app.

I type with Notes Plus.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Anyone here making music on the Ipad3? I just got one and bought garage band, amplitube, imashine and Nanostudio. I have been having tons of fun making music on the ipad. I had my guitar amp stolen so I was thinking about buying a new one soon but with garage band and amplitube I dont really need one (unless i plan to do live shows). I just plug my guitar in with this adapter and bam! Nanostudio looks cool and has tons of options for recording,mastering and synth work but i have to use it more to see what it can really do.

What other apps are people using for music production on the ipad?

Anyone here making music on the Ipad3? I just got one and bought garage band, amplitube, imashine and Nanostudio. I have been having tons of fun making music on the ipad. I had my guitar amp stolen so I was thinking about buying a new one soon but with garage band and amplitube I dont really need one (unless i plan to do live shows). I just plug my guitar in with this adapter and bam! Nanostudio looks cool and has tons of options for recording,mastering and synth work but i have to use it more to see what it can really do.

What other apps are people using for music production on the ipad?
Check out the NeoGAF iOS Music Production app thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=413499

Also, here's a nice Verge article where a video game composer (Mass Effect series, Borderlands, Quake II) showcases his favorite iPad music production apps: http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/13/3117498/sonic-mayhem-sascha-dikiciyan-ipad-apps

PGamer

fucking juniors
Hey, I have a question about the $50 student gift card when buying an iPad. Do you need to buy the iPad directly from Apple to be eligible for it or can you get it by buying an iPad anywhere? I don't have a local Apple store so the only way I can buy directly from Apple is by ordering online.

Quick

Banned
Hey, I have a question about the $50 student gift card when buying an iPad. Do you need to buy the iPad directly from Apple to be eligible for it or can you get it by buying an iPad anywhere? I don't have a local Apple store so the only way I can buy directly from Apple is by ordering online.

From Apple.com:

Buy a qualifying Mac or iPad from the Apple Online Store for Education, the Apple Retail Store, or an Apple Authorized Campus Store, and you’ll receive your Back to School Gift Card with your purchase.

So, your best bet's online.

Top Bottom