• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

I would also like to add that I want no problems exporting stuff in Word format. Not sure if that will be an issue or not.

I haven't had any issues using Pages and then exporting to Word. Pages with iCloud allows for that as well (download in Word, Pages, or PDF).

THat said, I haven't had any experience with the other app you mentioned so not sure.

giga

1) congratulations on shedding the albatross.

2) Have you ever seen this before?
Photo%202012-07-04%209%2026%2026%20PM.png

Neither numbler nor I can figure out why that popped up.
No idear.

Quick

Banned
So, I redeemed a code to download a movie on iTunes. I downloaded it on my PC, but I want it on my iPad. My computer is in another country, and I don't see any option to re-download my movie in my iPad. Going to the movie's information page on iTunes on the iPad only shows a "Buy now" option. Clicking it asks me if I want to buy it again.

Is there something I'm missing here?

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Yep. In fact, Apple's "world travel kit" is just a small iPhone/iPad charger block with the different plugs for each region as seperate pieces. (Really annoying to have to buy all those regions you don't need, but cool that it's really the same base piece for every region)

The only device that doesn't work well with this modularity is Plugbug (small red device - turns your macbook charger into a macbook + iDevice charger) since for some ridiculous reason they built the plug into their device instead of letting users daisychain the extension cord onto it.
They've changed the indents on the plug on the Retina Macbook cord for some reason so I can no longer use its cord on the iPhone charger.

So, I redeemed a code to download a movie on iTunes. I downloaded it on my PC, but I want it on my iPad. My computer is in another country, and I don't see any option to re-download my movie in my iPad. Going to the movie's information page on iTunes on the iPad only shows a "Buy now" option. Clicking it asks me if I want to buy it again.

Some movies from certain studios aren't available to download everywhere through iCloud. You can only copy from your computer.

giga

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/04/07/universal-studios-movies-now-available-on-icloud/

Also, check the purchased tab in iTunes to see if it's there.

Quick

Banned
Some movies from certain studios aren't available to download everywhere through iCloud. You can only copy from your computer.

Ah balls.

Nope, it's not. Checked that first.

Sucks that I can't transfer without erasing my current movies, but it's not the end of the world.

Any good way of transferring movies from my iPad to my Mac?

Jordan

So, I am getting a new iPad for my birthday in two weeks time. Do the Smart cases work correctly with these?

If not, any suggestions for a nice case?

Regards,

Number45

Has anyone tried Watchlater? It's kind of like Instapaper for video - I've been using it for a while and I like it, but I find it a little clumsy to use (and I really wish it would work out a way of pulling in YT subs). Anyone use it, or have alternatives that might do a better job?

Is there any ipad app comparable to People Hub on winphone/8 or the people app in Android?

Has anyone tried Watchlater? It's kind of like Instapaper for video - I've been using it for a while and I like it, but I find it a little clumsy to use (and I really wish it would work out a way of pulling in YT subs). Anyone use it, or have alternatives that might do a better job?

I use pocket to mark videos to view later, never had a problem...

TechSamurai

Neo Member
No problem, thanks anyway. Pocket looks nice actually, might check it out (I already have Instapaper, but it's free so who cares!). :)

I have (and paid for before it was free) both, and I prefer Pocket. It is just too handy to have one app to save any page and any content (using bookmarklets) to "read" later.

Tobor

Try Roadshow. I used to use that before getting LTE on the new iPad.

Talon

Pocket is actually good for saving video.

I rely on Instapaper for text, still, but Pocket stays on my phone for rich media.

I'm going to buy one school, but should I get the 16 GB or 32 GB?

I already have an iPhone and a MacBook Air that I'm taking with me to university. I'll use this primarily as an eReader and for Safari, and some iWork/iLife stuff.

But I've used 12 GB out of the 14 GB on my iPhone and I'm holding back some applications for that. I might want to also put a movie or two on this thing as well!

My dad told me to get the 32 GB (he's giving me $1000 for this), but I'd like to save the $100.

Had my iPad since yesterday. ...I'm never using a laptop ever again...that is all.

Got one a few weeks ago, and I'm addicted to it. All I do when I'm at home is play around on it. Everything looks so beautiful. The TV and all the consoles are getting very neglected. I don't even want to play any of my new Xbox 360 games... I would rather progress through some of the free or 99 cent games I've downloaded. What is happening to me?

Blackhead

Redarse

I already have an iPhone and a MacBook Air that I'm taking with me to university. I'll use this primarily as an eReader and for Safari, and some iWork/iLife stuff.

But I've used 12 GB out of the 14 GB on my iPhone and I'm holding back some applications for that. I might want to also put a movie or two on this thing as well!

My dad told me to get the 32 GB (he's giving me $1000 for this), but I'd like to save the $100.

I just got my MacBook Pro with Retina display and Skim on it is better than any PDF reader the iPad has to offer. I previously had the new iPad and a Macbook Air but decided to switch to a combo of a dedicated ereader and MBPr. The iPad just isn't capable enough

Got one a few weeks ago, and I'm addicted to it. All I do when I'm at home is play around on it. Everything looks so beautiful. The TV and all the consoles are getting very neglected. I don't even want to play any of my new Xbox 360 games... I would rather progress through some of the free or 99 cent games I've downloaded. What is happening to me?

I'm the same.

Xbox 360/WII/PS3 have not been touched in a while. Ill likely only play Halo 4 later this year.

Only PC and New IPAD have been getting my attention.

Infinitly Blade is so addictive. 99 Cents and have been playing for days and still continue too.

Tobor

Your Dad is right, get the 32.

Vyer

Yeah, if you already like to put a lot of apps up, definitely go with the 32.

There really is no need for an iPad at all if you already have the Air, but if you are hell-bent on it, definitely get the 16GB.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Anyone know a good iPad app for drawing diagrams? Doesn't have to be too fancy. I do studio photography and often have lighting ideas that hit me at random points. I scribble down stuff on napkins and figured I would organize my ideas.

Ideally I just need a white page that lets me freely draw lines, rectangles and other basic things. Nothing fancy just a way too get all my ideas in one place even if they are drawn messy :)

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
noteability. exports to PDF and provides you with blank or grid paper backgrounds. all lines/pens are vectored and its easy to remove stray strokes with the erase tool. you can also import photos into the program and draw directly on top of it.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
noteability. exports to PDF and provides you with blank or grid paper backgrounds. all lines/pens are vectored and its easy to remove stray strokes with the erase tool. you can also import photos into the program and draw directly on top of it.

Awesome. Sounds like what I need with extra features I could use. I'll grab it.

Husker86

No way, 16 GB is not enough for retina.
Sure it is, but obviously not for everyone. I have like 6GB free because i just stream my music since i hardly use the iPad for music. I always have my phone on me so I don't see the need to have 2 devices loaded with the same music.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Awesome. Sounds like what I need with extra features I could use. I'll grab it.
i've found it worth much more than the 4 or 5 bucks i paid for it. if you have a stylus you'll find a ton of uses for the program, especially with its ability to import/export with Dropbox.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I recently switched over to Google Drive. I hope it's not premature though. I don't really have any apps now that used it so I'm fine for now. I guess if I have to I'll set up DB on my server and use a Hazel script to move files to my Google Drive or something. I hope more apps support GD in time. I'm surprised even Chrome doesn't even support saving to GD... Yet.

Also, I love Pocket. It's one of my favorite apps and I use it on my computer and iOS devices all the time. So much nicer than what it was when it was Read it Later.

Does anyone use only their iPad for college with a bluetooth keyboard? If so, is it comfortable to use and does it feel like it's a compromise? I'm thinking about selling the MacBook Pro that I'll get in a scholarship, so I can purchase the new iPad. The reason I want the iPad is so I can play tablet games and browse the web at home. However; is Pages a good replacement for Word?

buhdeh

Does anyone use only their iPad for college with a bluetooth keyboard? If so, is it comfortable to use and does it feel like it's a compromise? I'm thinking about selling the MacBook Pro that I'll get in a scholarship, so I can purchase the new iPad. The reason I want the iPad is so I can play tablet games and browse the web at home. However; is Pages a good replacement for Word?

The iPad is completely useless as a productivity tool. There will be people who try to tell you that it'll work but the whole time you're using it, you'll be wishing that you're doing whatever work you're doing on a PC.

Personally I don't even trust Pages on OS X to replace Word, let alone on the iPad.

Weenerz

Banned
Anyone having issues with not turning on? Happened earlier, where I used it for a bit, and locked it like I normally do with the button on the top, 5 minutes later, I try to start it back up using the home button didn,t work, I tried the power button, still nothing. I basically have to hold down power and home for almost 30 seconds for it to start up. Has happened a few times this week.

Quick

Banned
It's snug for you? There's a pretty noticeable gap, with lots of room for the iPad to slide around on mine and every one I've seen.

Yeah, snug. I did read about the looseness from reviews, but it seriously fits fine. I tried out an Apple Store employee's iPad with the Smart Case and his was a bit loose. Maybe I have a "defective" one? :lol

iPad2 or iPad3? I always wondered if the slight thickness difference affected that...

I'm using the new iPad. Fits like a glove, but easy to take off.

The iPad is completely useless as a productivity tool. There will be people who try to tell you that it'll work but the whole time you're using it, you'll be wishing that you're doing whatever work you're doing on a PC.

Personally I don't even trust Pages on OS X to replace Word, let alone on the iPad.

Agreed. I used to think that the iPad can be a standalone laptop replacement (not a whole computer replacement in general), but after my trip this week, I'm against the idea of it being the primary portable to bring to school.

I brought my Macbook Pro with me just in case, with the intention of using the iPad most of the time. I was typing things down, editing some photos, and writing some e-mails, and I just couldn't do that on an iPad. It ended up being used on the airports, planes, and killing time in general, but for everything else, Macbook Pro.

Granted, I didn't use a bluetooth keyboard to type on the iPad, but I already know that it won't change my decision on it. If you're set on getting an iPad, just go with a pen and paper for notes. With how fast profs write on the board and erase, the iPad isn't ideal. You could always grab their notes online, but some of them don't do that to get people to go to class.

Cheebo

Banned

I've written and worked on multiple projects for work creating documents and excel files using the OnLive Microsoft Office emulator program with my iPad and external keyboard. How is it useless?

The office issue is kind of null seeing how by every indication Microsoft is going to release Office on iPad fairly soon.

Top Bottom