• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

My girlfriend has been using my iPad for a couple weeks now, but she says she is waiting for the mini to come out. I told her its just a rumor but she sadly thinks its fact.

numble

No, it's not.
It's either a controlled leak by Apple to gouge interest or a total fabrication.
We all know how last year's iPhone rumors turned out. Or that of an Apple branded Television set.

Who's iPhone rumors? I think everybody ran with Josh Topolsky's ThisIsMyNext rumor, but there weren't WSJ/NYT/Bloomberg.
And the Apple TV rumor is all Gene Munster, who even Josh Topolsky laughs at.

When WSJ/NYT/Bloomberg all say the same size and launch timeline, instead of talking about exploratory activity, it's coming. We even knew about the retina MacBook Pros without needing any Chinese supply leaks.

MasLegio

Banned
My ipad is charging extremly slowly.
I have the correct charger but I am unsure wether the cable connected to the charger is the correct one. Does it matter which USB cable is connected to the charger?

I have the correct charger but I am unsure wether the cable connected to the charger is the correct one. Does it matter which USB cable is connected to the charger?

Do have the 3rd gen iPad? If so, the battery is like 70% larger than the one in iPad 2, so it will take longer to charge.

Unless you know that already and it's charging unusually slow with all that in mind. I think all of the Apple USBs are the same right (iPod, iPHone, iPad)?

MasLegio

Banned
Do have the 3rd gen iPad? If so, the battery is like 70% larger than the one in iPad 2, so it will take longer to charge.

Unless you know that already and it's charging unusually slow with all that in mind. I think all of the Apple USBs are the same right (iPod, iPHone, iPad)?

3rd gen ipad and charging slower than usual (feels like it is charging slower anyway)

bob page

My iPad 2 also charges pretty slow- seems like it started happening post-iOS 5.0. I started charging it when it was at 25% yesterday and it took about 5 hours to get to 90%.

PGamer

fucking juniors
Well I just got an iPad. Are there any good threads or posts around here for new users? I have some of the shortcuts figured out but I'm sure I'm still missing a bunch. Also I did manage to get the $50 app credit and I'd like to know what the generally recommended apps are (not necessarily just games).

Well I just got an iPad. Are there any good threads or posts around here for new users? I have some of the shortcuts figured out but I'm sure I'm still missing a bunch. Also I did manage to get the $50 app credit and I'd like to know what the generally recommended apps are (not necessarily just games).

Buy Tweetbot. And #sworcery.

Get "Free My Apps". I've probably gotten about $20 worth of apps and Amazon credit.

Since using freemyapps when this iPad came out, I've got the following from that site:

Pages: $10
Keynote: $10
$10 iTunes gift card
$10 iTunes gift card
$10 iTunes gift card
GarageBand: $5
iMovie: $5
Angry birds Space HD: $3

When I first started the site loads of new games and non game apps and were updated with latest stuff, then slowly all the apps were gone and they just offer gift cards at high point totals. It's a real grind to get them, takes like 3-4 weeks to get a $10 card at 3000 points. After the 3rd card I felt I got enough from the site and never looked back.

kinggroin

Banned
Even on the iPad 2, reading comics has been awesome. Same with HD movies and TV shows.

Comics are OK, but I don't think HD anything looks great at all on the 2. The aspect ratio is horrible for most of that stuff as well. At least on 3, the IQ is phenominal.

Still, I wish the new iPad had the speed and battery life of the 2nd one. I'm sure the next iteration will be just that in fact.

Comics are OK, but I don't think HD anything looks great at all on the 2. The aspect ratio is horrible for most of that stuff as well. At least on 3, the IQ is phenominal.

Still, I wish the new iPad had the speed and battery life of the 2nd one. I'm sure the next iteration will be just that in fact.

and hopefully it will return to the same size and lack of heat. Those are two areas I'm not willing to compromise on when it comes to a tablet.

I think you can go ahead and nail down the next iPad revision in the sense that you'll get better heat management (like iPad 2), thinner, lighter, speed bump with beefier but efficient CPU, upgrade in screen technology (IGZO or comparable tech in terms of efficiency and maybe even improved quality such as reduction in layers to bring the screen closer to the glass), Facetime HD front camera, 8mp iSight camera in the back, same 10-hour battery life.

bananas

Banned
I signed up for a 2GB data plan on Verizon the other day to test it out. I'm only getting two bars on Verizon LTE and these are my speed results compared to my home WiFi. Kinda unbelievable.

7nZaA.png

I signed up for a 2GB data plan on Verizon the other day to test it out. I'm only getting two bars on Verizon LTE and these are my speed results compared to my home WiFi. Kinda unbelievable.

with Verizon LTE, do you have to sign a contract or can you cancel at anytime? and how much per month?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Anyone recommend a mildly trippy, simple iPad game in the vein of Flower/journey? Something explorative and pretty.

Anyone recommend a mildly trippy, simple iPad game in the vein of Flower/journey? Something explorative and pretty.

Osmos or Contre Jour. The latter is more of a level-by-level platformer but the presentation is flawless and the score is amazing. The former is much more on the line of Flower and flOw though.

I'm having issues with the ambient light sensor. I have it set to auto brightness with the slider at about 50%. Going from a dark room into a bright environment, the screen immediately reacts and becomes much brighter. If I then return to a dark room, the screen remains really bright.

If I leave it until it is about to go into standby, where it goes very dim for a few seconds, and then tap the screen again, it still goes back up to this higher brightness despite being in a dark room.

However, if I wait for it to go fully into standby, or initiate standby myself with the power button, and then unlock it, it sets the brightness perfectly for the ambient conditions.

So quite simply... it can increase the brightness by itself, but it never decreases the brightness unless I go to standby and then unlock.

I don't recall it being an issue on the iPad 2. Does everyone's iPad 3 have this behaviour?

rezuth

I'm having issues with the ambient light sensor. I have it set to auto brightness with the slider at about 50%. Going from a dark room into a bright environment, the screen immediately reacts and becomes much brighter. If I then return to a dark room, the screen remains really bright.

If I leave it until it is about to go into standby, where it goes very dim for a few seconds, and then tap the screen again, it still goes back up to this higher brightness despite being in a dark room.

However, if I wait for it to go fully into standby, or initiate standby myself with the power button, and then unlock it, it sets the brightness perfectly for the ambient conditions.

So quite simply... it can increase the brightness by itself, but it never decreases the brightness unless I go to standby and then unlock.

I don't recall it being an issue on the iPad 2. Does everyone's iPad 3 have this behaviour?
I have the opposite problem sometime, it refuses to become brighter after being darkened.

Husker86

I had a similar issue back when I had an iPhone 4.
I don't walk around with my iPad so I haven't noticed that yet.

I'm having a slight bout of confusion here at work today regarding iPad 3 screens.

I'm creating a splash page for something at 2048x1536. Should the resolution ppi on this thing be 264ppi or 72ppi? Nowhere on the internet is there anywhere that says, "make your images this dimensions at this resolution".
I was making it at 264ppi but maybe I'm wrong?

Husker86

I'm having a slight bout of confusion here at work today regarding iPad 3 screens.

I'm creating a splash page for something at 2048x1536. Should the resolution ppi on this thing be 264ppi or 72ppi? Nowhere on the internet is there anywhere that says, "make your images this dimensions at this resolution".
I was making it at 264ppi but maybe I'm wrong?

An image that is 2048x1536 could be either 264 or 72ppi depending on the screen it's shown on. On the iPad's 9.7" screen that resolution happens to be 264ppi. I guess I'm not sure what you're asking. I can't design shit so maybe I'm wrong and you can designate ppi, in which case go with 264.

But if you're designing a page that will be seen in a web browser won't making it the exact resolution of the iPad cause it to not fit (since some of the screen is taken up by browser toolbar/status bar)?

Blackhead

Redarse
Shocked this hasn't been mentioned yet but the Adonit Jot Touch (the pressure sensitive one) is now for sale:

http://adonit.net/product/jot-touch/

Rather expensive and no solid reviews yet - since a lot of it is going to come down to the apps that will support it.

iLounge has a review. The Jot Touch was supposed to support palm rejection and bluetooth 4.0 but Adonit is already talking up those features for upcoming 2nd version; it'll soon be a textbook example of the osborne effect

Okay peeps, I want a new iPad app. I wish I had the patience to sift through the past 20 pages but I can't, so what are some definitively COOL iPad apps that:

1) take advantage of the retina display
2) blow you away in some capacity or other
3) look gorgeous and function well

Some recent apps that I fell in love with are Track 8, GuidePal, Svpply, Paper and SpellTower. Beautiful apps that I've been using regularly. So what are you guys in love with right now that I should know about?

Cheebo

Banned
Okay peeps, I want a new iPad app. I wish I had the patience to sift through the past 20 pages but I can't, so what are some definitively COOL iPad apps that:

1) take advantage of the retina display
2) blow you away in some capacity or other
3) look gorgeous and function well

Some recent apps that I fell in love with are Track 8, GuidePal, Svpply, Paper and SpellTower. Beautiful apps that I've been using regularly. So what are you guys in love with right now that I should know about?

Flipboard

Very late to the game with this, and it's really the first time I've noticed it, but I was just playing Swords and Sworcery for about 15-20 minutes on full brightness on my new iPad. It was really uncomfortably warm when I went to hold it in a portrait position. Has anyone successfully exchanged their device at the Apple store for this issue?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Very late to the game with this, and it's really the first time I've noticed it, but I was just playing Swords and Sworcery for about 15-20 minutes on full brightness on my new iPad. It was really uncomfortably warm when I went to hold it in a portrait position. Has anyone successfully exchanged their device at the Apple store for this issue?

For what, an iPad 2? That is the nature of the new iPad.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Bare with me, this might seem a little ridiculous.

Was just imagining what it would be like if you could select text and just drag it to a hotcorner (or edge, in this case) for an instantaneous google search. For some reason or another Apple seems weary to add it to the little popup menu when copy/pasting, which lets be honest is probably nearly the worst part about ios as it is so I understand not wanting to add even more stuff to it. The highlight feature in iBooks is already waaaay more friendly than copy/pasting. If you could just drag your finger magically across something and then just swipe it to the side for a search it would be pretty neat and fun.

LJ11

Anyone have trouble accessing their purchase history in the app story. I've tried everything, and still can't get it to show up.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
My dad recently got an iPad 3, and he wants to get an SD card adapter to put all of his PDF's on. Would the one that comes with the camera set be a good idea for this?

Blackhead

Redarse
My dad recently got an iPad 3, and he wants to get an SD card adapter to put all of his PDF's on. Would the one that comes with the camera set be a good idea for this?

Apple doesn't allow that. He'd have to jailbreak his iPad first. If he wants external physical storage he would have to get a wireless solution like CloudFTP

Cheebo

Banned
His best bet would be to get a Dropbox account if they take up a lot of space (aka more than iPads on board storage which I am assuming is the case for him) and load them up on that.

MercuryLS

Banned
I traded my launch iPad 3 with 4G to a guy for his wifi only model that he bought 1.5 months back. The difference in heat is instantly apparent, the old one used to get hot quite quickly with light web browsing, games, etc. The new one hasn't gotten hot yet, no matter what I do with it. Did Apple quietly fix the heat issues? If you've got a iPad that gets really hot, swap it for another model and see if it's the same for you.

Questions about Tweetbot:

1. Why isn't it a universal app? I've got a new iPad and a 4s. Why would I have to buy this app twice?
2. What's so great about it? I use Twitter just to follow people - not to Tweet myself. Why would I need Tweetbot?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Its not universal because when the iphone app was made the ipad app didnt exist. also they dont want to force people to pay for the ipad version if they just want the iphone version and vice-versa. so instead of it being a 6 dollar its two 3 dollar ones.

also nothing is "so great about it" its just very very very nicely designed and a joy to use. its not going to magically make you a great tweeter or anything. if you value good app design and want something a little more engaging and fun to use than the freebies go for it

I'm finding it impossible to delete music from my iPad. I tried removing them manually, by way of synching, pretty much every way you cant think of... itunes tells me the ipad has no music but they're still there... and when I synch there they are again (and yes, synching is unchecked, obviously). I need space and have 9GB worth of music in it that I cannot remove. Help?

Top Bottom