• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

I'm finding it impossible to delete music from my iPad. I tried removing them manually, by way of synching, pretty much every way you cant think of... itunes tells me the ipad has no music but they're still there... and when I synch there they are again (and yes, synching is unchecked, obviously). I need space and have 9GB worth of music in it that I cannot remove. Help?

If you're really desperate, I'm pretty sure you can swipe right to delete music now if you haven't tried that, with individual songs. Obviously that's not ideal, but I don't think there's a way to delete whole albums/playlists (could be wrong, though, I don't have music on my iPad so I can't check).

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
I'm finding it impossible to delete music from my iPad. I tried removing them manually, by way of synching, pretty much every way you cant think of... itunes tells me the ipad has no music but they're still there... and when I synch there they are again (and yes, synching is unchecked, obviously). I need space and have 9GB worth of music in it that I cannot remove. Help?

by any chance are you subscribed to iTunes Match? i had the same issue on my device once I activated ITM, downloaded some songs from the cloud, deleted them, then adding some via my PC. somewhere along the way about 20 songs refused to be deleted and were always grayed out. they even survived a device wipe.

My GF is using my iPad and won't have a smartphone till iPhone 5

What app can we use to text each other from iPad to iPhone? Keep in mind the iPad is under the same apple ID as the iPhone for iMessage won't work (it does but it's confusing texting your own name and it doesn't notify you).

giga

My GF is using my iPad and won't have a smartphone till iPhone 5

What app can we use to text each other from iPad to iPhone? Keep in mind the iPad is under the same apple ID as the iPhone for iMessage won't work (it does but it's confusing texting your own name and it doesn't notify you).
Why are you using the same apple id? Create another one.

Just got the new iPad, my first Apple tablet (was previously operating on a jailbroken Nook Color as my makeshift tablet of choice). I've had iOS devices before (multiple iTouches), but it's my first real foray into the iPad tablet OS. Anyone have apps to recommend to me (games, entertainment modules, etc.) and ways to optimize and maximize my iPad experience?

Quick

Banned
Just got the new iPad, my first Apple tablet (was previously operating on a jailbroken Nook Color as my makeshift tablet of choice). I've had iOS devices before (multiple iTouches), but it's my first real foray into the iPad tablet OS. Anyone have apps to recommend to me (games, entertainment modules, etc.) and ways to optimize and maximize my iPad experience?

Flipboard!

Has anybody tried ordering from MIC?

http://store.micgadget.com/ipad3-card-readers/315-cf-sd-high-speed-card-reader-for-ipad-3.html

cf-sd-high-speed-card-reader-for-ipad-3.jpg

I'm looking for a CF reader and this one looks reasonable @ $35. Has anybody had any luck with this company-or are there other readers that you might recommend?

Quick

Banned
wow, that looks fantastic, I'm just worried how easy it would topple over with a slight bump.

I want one for my MacBook Pro, as well. It's pretty sweet. I'm assuming there's a rubbery material that'll prevent it from slipping off.

Another option would be the Griffin PowerDock or Arrowhead. The PowerDock is purely to charge both iPad and iPhone, and the Arrowhead is a minimalist stand. Props up your iPad and it's very small and easy to store away (if needed).

IOS blows.

Want to have the Olympics basketball final running in the back while I browse.

God knows lord Steve would never allow such blasphemy in his court!

KtSlime

IOS blows.

This is an NBC Olympics App issue, there are no technical restrictions in video apps streaming audio in the background. Many video apps allow you to bring up the audio playback controls by swiping to the right over the quick app switcher and pressing play. It is unknown as to why the app does not have this feature. I suspect it is because it was a poorly made app that wasn't well tailored to any particular platform and instead was built on top of Adobe, however I can assure you that this is not a limitation of iOS.

Cheebo

Banned
IOS blows.

A smart app developer would let you switch it to an audio feed to have it continue in the background. Blame lazy developers, not iOS.

Einbroch

Banned
I can't stand this crap anymore. YouTube is ridiculously slow on iPad and completely ruins the experience for me. Tried the DNS fix, doesn't work.

dorkimoe

This may be a dumb question.But with the av adapter with hdmi. I know you can mirror to a tv or monitor or whatever. But does it mirror everything? I'm watching a webstream on the ipad and want to put it on the monitor (as the work computer sucks and cant handle it). Would that display on the monitor?

This may be a dumb question.But with the av adapter with hdmi. I know you can mirror to a tv or monitor or whatever. But does it mirror everything? I'm watching a webstream on the ipad and want to put it on the monitor (as the work computer sucks and cant handle it). Would that display on the monitor?

Probably? If you have an iPad with mirroring it does do a direct mirror of the interface...

Nice. Let us know how it is.

First thing I noticed, this thing is heavy and has quite bit more weight to it then I thought, which is a very good thing because it takes a good nudge to knock this thing over. Comes with 2 inserts, the standard is for the ipad without a case and the other is bigger for cases (thinner cases, they say remove the insert all together if you have a big case), my ipad with the Apple smart case fit fine. Also like being about to place it either portrait or landscape. Looks fantastic, and I thank you for introducing it to me.

Quick

Banned
First thing I noticed, this thing is heavy and has quite bit more weight to it then I thought, which is a very good thing because it takes a good nudge to knock this thing over. Comes with 2 inserts, the standard is for the ipad without a case and the other is bigger for cases (thinner cases, they say remove the insert all together if you have a big case), my ipad with the Apple smart case fit fine. Also like being about to place it either portrait or landscape. Looks fantastic, and I thank you for introducing it to me.

Thank you for being my guinea pig by taking my suggestion. :D

I'll be ordering it soon, since no one here in Toronto that I've checked (including the Apple Store) stocks that specific iPad version.

Thank you for being my guinea pig by taking my suggestion. :D

I'll be ordering it soon, since no one here in Toronto that I've checked (including the Apple Store) stocks that specific iPad version.

No problem lol. My girlfriend even like the design of the stand, first positive thing she's said about my tech purchases since I bought the iPad

PGamer

fucking juniors
Probably has been asked before, but iPad 2 or iPad 3?

I was going to go with the 2...until I saw the 3. :(
There's pretty much no point in getting the 2 unless you really don't care about screen quality and you're desperate to save a bit of money.

PGamer

fucking juniors
Does anyone here have any recommendations for cases? I don't know if the smart case is the best option or if there's some really good third party stuff available. I'd like something to keep my iPad nice and safe carrying it to school and back really where I could throw it in a bag or backpack and not have to worry about it.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Mobile youtube is fucked on the iPad now. Thanks google... Idiots.

You just needed your ads and that was more important than full screen :(

NawidA

Banned
Does anyone here have any recommendations for cases? I don't know if the smart case is the best option or if there's some really good third party stuff available. I'd like something to keep my iPad nice and safe carrying it to school and back really where I could throw it in a bag or backpack and not have to worry about it.

Came to ask the exact same question, though I'm looking specifically for a sleeve. I'm planning on getting a Timbuk2 Envelope Sleeve, but reading reviews I'm seeing a lot of complaints that the velcro is very loud, which isn't going to fly in a quiet classroom or library. Definitely want a sleeve, I can't stand stand having my electronics in cases when I'm actually using them, but like PGamer I'm going to need something to keep it in when I'm carrying it in my backpack.

Probably has been asked before, but iPad 2 or iPad 3?

I was going to go with the 2...until I saw the 3. :(

There's pretty much no point in getting the 2 unless you really don't care about screen quality and you're desperate to save a bit of money.

seeing how retina is now the norm for iPad apps, 100% go with the iPad 3 unless you really need to save the extra cash

What do you guys think about the battery life and the heat issues? I'm getting an iPad to use primarily for school (I realize that they're not as capable as a laptop but I'm starting to do research, and I'm buying it more as a PDF reader than anything, with the occasional word processing or gaming being a really cool plus) and I've actually been kind of leaning towards the 2 for those reasons. The battery especially, I'm not sure how big a difference there is between them but I hear since they refreshed the iPad 2's chip to the smaller die it gets really good battery life, whereas the new iPad really eats up battery if you have the screen too bright and takes forever to charge.

As for the heat thing, I'm guessing that's been overblown to an extent, but I really don't want something I'm holding in my hand to get too warm, and I'm not going to buy a back-covering case to address the issue. I'm not going to be playing crazy games like Infinity Blade though, 70% of the time I'm going to be using it to surf the web or read PDFs, and I'm more interested in games like Waking Mars and Machinarium than anything with super-intense graphics, so maybe the heat wouldn't be an issue at all?

Looking around I see a lot of people saying the 3 isn't worth the extra $100 and a lot of people saying there's no way you should settle for the 2. Looking at them at an Apple Store obviously the new iPad looks a lot better, but in my opinion the 2 doesn't look bad by any means, and it's hard to say how much I'd miss the Retina screen when I don't have it to compare with side by side. I've been back and forth, I'm sure I'll be happy with whatever I get but I wish it was more clearcut which was the better bang for the buck.

Blackhead

Redarse
I'm getting an iPad to use primarily for school (I realize that they're not as capable as a laptop but I'm starting to do research, and I'm buying it more as a PDF reader than anything...

*snip*

Looking at them at an Apple Store obviously the new iPad looks a lot better, but in my opinion the 2 doesn't look bad by any means, and it's hard to say how much I'd miss the Retina screen when I don't have it to compare with side by side. I've been back and forth, I'm sure I'll be happy with whatever I get but I wish it was more clearcut which was the better bang for the buck.

If your primary purpose for the iPad is reading PDFs then the choice is quite clearcut — get the retina iPad.

However if you're going to be doing a lot of research i.e multiple open PDFs, taking a lot of notes, writing papers while referring to those PDFs and so on, then I'd caution that there really is a huge difference between an iPad and a laptop for those tasks. I'd suggest considering an ultrabook with a higher resolution display or the Macbook Pro with Retina display.

NawidA

Banned
I have never had the heating issue. Maybe my case (the $3 one I linked in my second to last post here) is absorbing it or something, but yeah never felt it. As for battery life, it's the same as any other iPad. It just takes longer to charge because it has a bigger battery.

If your primary purpose for the iPad is reading PDFs then the choice is quite clearcut — get the retina iPad.

However if you're going to be doing a lot of research i.e multiple open PDFs, taking a lot of notes, writing papers while referring to those PDFs and so on, then I'd caution that there really is a huge difference between an iPad and a laptop for those tasks. I'd suggest considering an ultrabook with a higher resolution display or the Macbook Pro with Retina display.

If I could afford a Macbook Pro that'd be fine, that's way out of my budget though (I'm going to have like $650 to spend on a laptop or tablet max) and being able to hold a tablet to read seems really nice to me, as well as being able to use it in portrait mode. I'm aware of the iPads limitations, but having messed with one I think apps like GoodReader and the new multi-tasking gestures will get me through. It'd be nice to be able to have two apps open side by side, but for my budget the quality, battery life, and portability outweigh that for me personally.

Anyway, I'm doing work with a group and we have a shared Google Docs account that we upload relevant articles to, and I logged into my Google account at the Apple Store and honestly I didn't think the difference was mindblowing. The new iPad looked better I guess, but for some reason text on the PDFs looked really soft. I'm not sure if it was because they had been scaled down in resolution when they were saved to Docs or what, but I didn't like the look.

The 2 on the other hand was noticeably not as sharp, but still readable at full screen zoom.

That's been what I've kind of been asking myself, whether or not I really need the Retina screen. I went to a few sites with pretty small text (Wired was the main one I used) and while the Retina screen is very nice, everything was perfectly legible on the 2.

At this point that's been making it easier to convince myself to get the 2 because I was already iffy on the battery life/ charging time issue and the heat. If those aren't as big a deal as I'm thinking I might go with the new iPad though... like I said, I'm sure I'll be happy with whatever I get, I just need to pull the trigger and get it over with.

PGamer

fucking juniors
At this point that's been making it easier to convince myself to get the 2 because I was already iffy on the battery life/ charging time issue and the heat. If those aren't as big a deal as I'm thinking I might go with the new iPad though... like I said, I'm sure I'll be happy with whatever I get, I just need to pull the trigger and get it over with.
I got an iPad 3 a couple months ago and to be honest the heat is a complete non-issue. So far the most extreme temperature it's gotten to I'd describe as somewhat warm, and that was playing a pretty graphically intensive game. For doing stuff like reading the web or PDFs it's not hot at all.

I'm not sure what battery issues exactly you're referencing. As far as I'm aware it's pretty comparable or slightly lower than an iPad 2's battery life depending on what you're doing? The battery does take quite a while to fully charge but I just plug mine in at night if the battery's low and it's at 100% when I wake up in the morning. I guess that could be an issue depending on how you're planning on using it.

Considering the impact the retina display has on text I still say the iPad 3 is the better choice pretty easily. I think it's been the first computer screen I've actually felt reading in-depth stuff off of was actually enjoyable.

Top Bottom