• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Anyone know if there's a good native iPad PSX emu? I mean the thing is 4:3, it would be PERFECT for this + dualshock 3 pairing

Playing SNES with wiimote = the perfect "handheld" snes experience. Putting the iPad on the table and then lying on the couch playing with the Wiimote is soooo good.

WoKuH.png

If only a good PSX emu came out for iPad. PSX4all seems to have some problems with the developer and only iphone :(

PS: I'm still looking for case recommendations if anyone has any.
I've tried dozens of cases but I really enjoy the official apple cover the most (doesn't cover the bottom tho, and is also overpriced to hell but I got it at 10 bucks at a sale)

Vyer

I like the Grip, but ended up switching to the STM Skinny for a couple of reasons. I found the stand on the Grip pretty cumbersome and not very sturdy, and the hard shell 'flap' was very uncomfortable when holding the ipad 'book style' against my hand.

So I switched to the Skinny, which is pretty much the same thing but with a cloth kind of covering on the hard shell. Still, both are very solid and don't add much additional weight or bulk to the ipad.

Also, if anyone is looking, Apple refurbs currently has a lot of iPads up. the Wifi+3G iPad 2s for 399, 32GB WiFi + 3G for 479. They also have the 16GB current gen Wifi new iPad for 449.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad

Anyone know if there's a good native iPad PSX emu? I mean the thing is 4:3, it would be PERFECT for this + dualshock 3 pairing

Playing SNES with wiimote = the perfect "handheld" snes experience. Putting the iPad on the table and then lying on the couch playing with the Wiimote is soooo good.

WoKuH.png

If only a good PSX emu came out for iPad. PSX4all seems to have some problems with the developer and only iphone :(

I've tried dozens of cases but I really enjoy the official apple cover the most (doesn't cover the bottom tho, and is also overpriced to hell but I got it at 10 bucks at a sale)

Does it works if Ps3 controllers?

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I use wiimote for the simplicity, CC is supported as well but you got the wiimote hanging ofc

PS3 controller doesn't work AFAIK, definitely not natively but might be workarounds. For games I play (2 button setups) it works fine of course, and games like FF works as well, just don't play something like SFII I guess :)

I want the club Nintendo SNES controller tho... If I can get that I wouldn't even care if it's connected to the wiimote, I would play that bad boy HARD. Is it possible to get it outside club Nintendo?

jts

...hate me...
I use wiimote for the simplicity, CC is supported as well but you got the wiimote hanging ofc

PS3 controller doesn't work AFAIK, definitely not natively but might be workarounds. For games I play (2 button setups) it works fine of course, and games like FF works as well, just don't play something like SFII I guess :)

That's why the Wii U Pro Controller will rock. 4 button (+ 4 shoulder) layout and no cord. Pretty much like the DS3 actually but I guess it'll use the same connectivity and pairing scheme as the Wiimote so it'll be easily supported.

I want the club Nintendo SNES controller tho... If I can get that I wouldn't even care if it's connected to the wiimote, I would play that bad boy HARD. Is it possible to get it outside club Nintendo?
Only ebay and the likes.

SteveWD40

The iCade 8bittty controller is supposed to be out this year, Bluetooth, dpad, 4 face and 2 shoulder buttons...

Would be a dream for any emu that needs no analogue stick.

Fox Mulder

This, the Wiimote layout sucks.

(also, can you use the CC and multiple controllers?)

I guess the Wii U Pro controller will be godlike for this stuff though.

yeah, playing the wii remote sideways is awful. It's probably the main reason I havent got into emulation on my ipad.

Medalion

Banned
I have joined the ranks of new iPad 3rd gen owners and have officially retired my iPad 1st gen... never got the 2nd one, but there is enough of a diff to me to justify the purchase finally.

Woohoo go iPad whores!!!!

Sloane

Banned
Is it possible to record more than 50 minutes of continuous video with the new iPad and, if so, how? It's not an issue of available space or battery life or whatever.

Number45

Is it possible to record more than 50 minutes of continuous video with the new iPad and, if so, how? It's not an issue of available space or battery life or whatever.
Everything I've read suggests that there's a file limit size of around 2GB, which equates to around an hour. Not sure if you can get around that by reducing the recorded quality or if it's a file system limitation.

If not, possibly jail-breaking?

Karish

Real quick. I have opportunity to buy iPad 2 32gb for $325. Should I get it? I want an iPad. How many years will iPad 2 be good for?

Sloane

Banned
Everything I've read suggests that there's a file limit size of around 2GB, which equates to around an hour. Not sure if you can get around that by reducing the recorded quality or if it's a file system limitation.

If not, possibly jail-breaking?
I've read something about 4GB but it looks like it doesn't have anything to do with it, even at lower res the recording stops after less than an hour. Weird.

WoKuH.png

whats the name of the SNES emulator? Also does the wii classic controller work or only the wii mote?

Cheebo

Banned
iPad 2 will get iOS 7 support because there is no way iPad mini wouldn't get it when it will be less than a year old by the time iOS 7 hits and by all indications iPad mini is just a tiny iPad 2.

After comparing the two screens back and forth at Best Buy for awhile, I decided to go with the iPad 2. Then I got home and downloaded some PDFs from emails (at Best Buy I was just viewing ones I had saved on Google Docs) and apparently Google Docs must use some compression or something because they looked much nicer when I actually downloaded them.

Reading on the 2 wasn't exactly awful or anything, but to read comfortably for any longer than a few minutes I had to zoom in, hold it horizontally, or both. The Google Docs PDFs looked sort of blurry on the new iPad at Best Buy, but after having the 2 at home I had a hunch that they would look better if I actually downloaded them. Despite my misgivings over the charging time, heat, and price (which didn't end up being that big a deal, I got a $50 Best Buy gift card for being a student) I returned the 2 for a new.

I'm really liking it so far, PDFs look like a printed page, and there's some pretty cool scanner apps that automatically crop images of pages and save them as PDFs that are going to be a huge convenience.

Now I'm just looking for a good sleeve. I really don't like cases that stay on the iPad (folio cases and whatnot), I want something to slip it into when it's in my backpack that's going to protect it and that I can take it out of. A lot of them seem too thin to me, I don't really care how thick it is when it's in my backpack, so the more protection the better.

Tobor

After comparing the two screens back and forth at Best Buy for awhile, I decided to go with the iPad 2. Then I got home and downloaded some PDFs from emails (at Best Buy I was just viewing ones I had saved on Google Docs) and apparently Google Docs must use some compression or something because they looked much nicer when I actually downloaded them.

Reading on the 2 wasn't exactly awful or anything, but to read comfortably for any longer than a few minutes I had to zoom in, hold it horizontally, or both. The Google Docs PDFs looked sort of blurry on the new iPad at Best Buy, but after having the 2 at home I had a hunch that they would look better if I actually downloaded them. Despite my misgivings over the charging time, heat, and price (which didn't end up being that big a deal, I got a $50 Best Buy gift card for being a student) I returned the 2 for a new.

I'm really liking it so far, PDFs look like a printed page, and there's some pretty cool scanner apps that automatically crop images of pages and save them as PDFs that are going to be a huge convenience.

Now I'm just looking for a good sleeve. I really don't like cases that stay on the iPad (folio cases and whatnot), I want something to slip it into when it's in my backpack that's going to protect it and that I can take it out of. A lot of them seem too thin to me, I don't really care how thick it is when it's in my backpack, so the more protection the better.

This is the best sleeve available. I highly recommend it.

jts

...hate me...
CPU-wise, we still haven't past through the A5, so the iPad 2 is still as powerful as an iDevice gets.

I doubt 1GB of RAM or quad-core GPU will become an iOS necessity anytime soon, so we'll probably watch all A5* devices get the same updates, with the first gen ones (iPad 2, iPhone 4S) getting one more year of support than the the second gen (despite getting some features artificially removed / not supported).

Vyer

retina screen is a great thing. But yeah, it depends on how you are going to use the ipad and if it will be something that will impact your day to day needs. Otherwise, there's a lot of use in an iPad 2. Personally it's hard to go back after that kind of screen bump.

Husker86

Hmm, that looks really nice but it's like three times the price of the sleeves I've been looking at. I thought about getting SF Bag's iPad Wallet with the shoulder strap, 90% of the time all I need is the iPad, keyboard, and a notebook. I'm trying not to spend a ton of money, I'd probably go with that though if I splurge.

Ok, it's not the flashiest, but I see nothing wrong with this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005D1R07M/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It has been available for $3-10 for months now. If it's for throwing your iPad in your backpack, I can't recommend anything else than this simply because of the price. I know you said you want a thick one (this isn't), but I still don't see it getting damaged while in your backpack.

If you don't like it then you're not out much (or can just return it since Amazon is now stocking it).

rozay

Banned
Real quick. I have opportunity to buy iPad 2 32gb for $325. Should I get it? I want an iPad. How many years will iPad 2 be good for?
iPad 2 should get iOS 7 if the new iPad gets it, which has worst performance than iPad 2 in some aspects.
Probably worth mentioning that it may not have all the features OS7 on an iPad 3/iPad mini will have, if stuff like turn by turn being chopped from the new maps app on an iPhone 4 is any indication.

Tobor

Hmm, that looks really nice but it's like three times the price of the sleeves I've been looking at. I thought about getting SF Bag's iPad Wallet with the shoulder strap, 90% of the time all I need is the iPad, keyboard, and a notebook. I'm trying not to spend a ton of money, I'd probably go with that though if I splurge.

In that case I recommend the Tom Bihn Cadet. It's pricey, but it does come with an iPad sleeve, and the features and build quality are top notch.

I got the 13" last Christmas and its the best bag I've ever owned.

Puckmarin

Banned
What's generally considered to be the best media streaming solution for the iPad? I want to stream movies & TV shows from my PC to the iPad.

Right now I'm using Boxee which seems to work OK but it tends to drop the connection after an hour or so.

What's generally considered to be the best media streaming solution for the iPad? I want to stream movies & TV shows from my PC to the iPad.

Right now I'm using Boxee which seems to work OK but it tends to drop the connection after an hour or so.

My favorite one is Plex. Easy to install works flawlessly and if you connect to my plex you can access your library anywhere.

rumors of new iPad 3 with the new mini dock that's supposed to be in the iPhone 5, I guess that makes sense

Are there still rumors of a refreshed 10" iPad on the 12th? Really hope there's not after I just bought one, I never gave the rumors much thought since it seems pretty uncharacteristic for Apple to do a refresh so soon. I don't care about a dock connector but I'd be pretty disappointed if the new one weighed significantly less. Guess I can't complain too much since I got a free $50 gift card.

What's everyone's opinion on jailbreaking? I saw on the last page someone was running a SNES emulator, that'd be sort of cool, but what are the huge killer apps that jailbreaking gets you? I don't have a single complaint about the iPad's functionality so far so I'm guessing it wouldn't be worth it for me, but I'm curious what it has to offer.

Are there still rumors of a refreshed 10" iPad on the 12th? Really hope there's not after I just bought one, I never gave the rumors much thought since it seems pretty uncharacteristic for Apple to do a refresh so soon. I don't care about a dock connector but I'd be pretty disappointed if the new one weighed significantly less. Guess I can't complain too much since I got a free $50 gift card.

What's everyone's opinion on jailbreaking? I saw on the last page someone was running a SNES emulator, that'd be sort of cool, but what are the huge killer apps that jailbreaking gets you? I don't have a single complaint about the iPad's functionality so far so I'm guessing it wouldn't be worth it for me, but I'm curious what it has to offer.

They're expected to announce a 7-8 inch iPad 2 in about a month. That's it. Nothing special. Just a smaller iPad 2.

The next major iPad revision will come during it's usual annual window. Spring 2013.

They're expected to announce a 7-8 inch iPad 2 in about a month. That's it. Nothing special. Just a smaller iPad 2.

The next major iPad revision will come during it's usual annual window. Spring 2013.
There is a rumor of a refresd 3rd Gen with new dock connector, iPad 2 thiness, and less heat.

Top Bottom