• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

numble

Is there any reason to get the HDMI adapter instead of using an Apple TV w/ Mirroring? Are they the exact same now?

Airplay is like 30 fps, HDMI is 60 fps.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41837447&postcount=1720

I have done a lot of testing in this area, to keep things simple:

AirPlay can be slightly choppy even when sitting over your wireless network, Ethernet to The apple tv helps a little but you still go wireless from the iPad/iPhone. Limited to 30 fps when it is smooth and the image compression has noticeable edges to things. You also get some noticeable latency.

The hdmi adapter is just like your devices screen but in 720p or 480, it's able to show 60fps and image quality Is much cleaner.

I have used AirPlay for a few months but now my apple tv is packed up and I use the hdmi adapter with a long cable.

I'd love to see that happen, but I think it's unlikely. I also visit Macrumors regularly and have yet to see anything about the full sized iPad getting a redesign this soon.

I'm all for improvements, but this seems really un-Apple-like.

Revised Third-Gen iPads Could Be On Their Way Next Month, And Might Mean No iPad 4 in 2013

I would love for this to happen because I have almost $500 on a Best Buy Pitch-in card and I would love to use it on a refreshed 3rd gen.

So I got a present yesterday - new iPad Wi-fi+3G 64GB, kinda sounds like an overkill :)

Is there a good PDF viewer on it? Also, for those who have Kindles - how can I transfer my magazine subscriptions to Kindle for iPad from my Kindle 4?

MasLegio

Banned
So I got a present yesterday - new iPad Wi-fi+3G 64GB, kinda sounds like an overkill :)

Is there a good PDF viewer on it? Also, for those who have Kindles - how can I transfer my magazine subscriptions to Kindle for iPad from my Kindle 4?

i like goodreader

install kindle on ipad and then download on kindle app or send to ipad through amazons device management page (you have to add the ipad first)

idwl

Hey, i want to buy an itunes gift card to download apps etc. i am in the middle east and have my app store set to the U.S , would i be able to use a gift card on the american store or does apple check i.p?

hemtae

I've been thinking about getting an iPad but I keep hearing rumors about a new dock connector. From somebody that has no other Apple products, would this new dock connector be something worth waiting for? On a separate note, if/when Apple announces the iPad mini is there expected to be new pricing for the iPad 3?

Lace

I've been thinking about getting an iPad but I keep hearing rumors about a new dock connector. From somebody that has no other Apple products, would this new dock connector be something worth waiting for? On a separate note, if/when Apple announces the iPad mini is there expected to be new pricing for the iPad 3?

I feel like if Apple decided to refresh the iPad 3 they would just discontinue the old version. I'm guessing it wouldn't serve any purpose to have the older version exist when the iPad 2 already fills in the hole nicely.

goodfella

My favorite one is Plex. Easy to install works flawlessly and if you connect to my plex you can access your library anywhere.

Have you tried Air Video?

I've used both these solutions, and Plex is by far the best.

Air Video is very basic, it will just stream your file across from the PC to the iPad.
Plex has a server that will download all the metadata for your shows and films. I've also found Plex to be more reliable, and there is a much larger development effort behind it.

What is the best comic app for buying comics? Comixology (it's called ComicsX now, right?). Why are they offering Marvel if Marvel already has an app?

So I just tried to play video on the new iPad...

/faints

The colors and saturation on this thing are insane....

Btw, what is the easiest way to convert the movies to iTunes format? I noticed it only accepts MP4, no AVI, WMV or MOV. I can always transfer it to VLC, but that is not the same.

Also, is there a way to group the videos like photo albums i.e. I click on the folder "K-Pop" and it opens showing only the content of that folder? Tried sorting them according to one tag, but it doesn't do anything.

GJS

So I just tried to play video on the new iPad...

/faints

The colors and saturation on this thing are insane....

Btw, what is the easiest way to convert the movies to iTunes format? I noticed it only accepts MP4, no AVI, WMV or MOV. I can always transfer it to VLC, but that is not the same.

Also, is there a way to group the videos like photo albums i.e. I click on the folder "K-Pop" and it opens showing only the content of that folder? Tried sorting them according to one tag, but it doesn't do anything.
If you set the videos as tv programmes in iTunes then you can group by series. So you can just put all the kpop videos as the kpop series.

tmdorsey

Anybody updated their iPad to iOS 6 yet?

Getting kinda concerned. I installed the GM on my iPad 3 and I can't get Siri to talk to me or respond to any of my questions. Anybody have any ideas?

alvmew

Getting kinda concerned. I installed the GM on my iPad 3 and I can't get Siri to talk to me or respond to any of my questions. Anybody have any ideas?

I have. Works just fine for me. No ideas though, sorry about that! Hope it gets to working for you soon.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

I have and it works fine for me (and my country isn't even officially supported yet, Ireland).

Have you checked if your microphone works in general in say Skype?

elsk

Banned
Hello, any of you guys know old age people (senior citizens/elderly) who have purchased or plan to buy an iPad?

I have to do some homework related to the topic and really could use some information like:

1) Why did they buy it for? (reading the web, communicating with the family, newspaper, books?)

2) What kind of apps they use the most? (maps, X-newspaper app, Skype, Facebook, FaceTime, etc)

3) Any of those apps replaced any other "activity". Like reading the newspaper in the official app or the web rather than buying it on the street/having it on paper.

4) Any reason they choose an iPad over a notebook/PC/mac?

I would greatly appreciate if you could help me with that. Thanks! :D

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I'm looking the current version for cheaper (rare sight around here) today in an e-mail and I'm finding it so hard to resist it's not even funny, for a while now I've been wanting an iPad for reading books, comics and randomly watching TV series and movies around the big house. I was waiting for an iPad mini announcement but it's not like a smaller iPad invalidates the purchase of a bigger one. By now I should probably wait for the announcement of the next model but... Argh!

edit: whatever, bought it.

CrankyJay

Banned
Does Apple warranty cover the home button? I got a new iPad in May and the home button doesn't feel right to me. I mean it works but it feels as if sometimes the button is rubbing on the side. Doesn't feel as smooth as it should compared to the other iOS devices I own.

Leckan

I mean if it would make sense for a tablet like it would for a phone? They usually transfer over new things to other devices.

I mean if it would make sense for a tablet like it would for a phone? They usually transfer over new things to other devices.

It's sort of weird to talk about whether or not it makes sense since there's a bunch of Android tablets that are 16:9 or 16:10 (Surface is 1080p iirc), but I really, really hope that they keep the 4:3 aspect ratio for the iPad. It's great for reading PDFs and I really like browsing in portrait at this aspect ratio.

The big plus for 16:9 I always see is that it's better for movies, which I guess some people would appreciate, but after having my iPad for a month or so now the only time I've ever watched video outside of the odd YouTube video was to marvel at the video quality in the Netflix app the day I got it.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
They should just release an ipad with 4 gigs of ram. Maybe I'm just a computer ninja, but shit reloads for me all the time. I mean, my PC from ten years ago had a gig of ram.. This is unacceptable. The iPad needs an n64 expansion pack, it needs more ram.

Any recommendations of keyboards for the iPad? Not the apple wireless keyboard, it needs to be portable

Apple's keyboard is pretty damn portable, just get a cover for it and you're good. If you don't mind the price I say it's about the best keyboard for the iPad you can get.

I'm typing this post on my iPad using Logitech's Tablet Keyboard, which I've been really happy with. The keyboard is more or less the same size as Apple's keyboard, meaning you get close to full-size keys, and it comes with a case that turns into a stand. The build quality isn't quite what Apple's is (it's made of plastic instead of aluminium) but it doesn't feel cheap to me by any mean, and it's much cheaper (~$50 compared to likely over $100 with Apples keyboard once you've bought a stand and case if you want one).

I don't like the little smushed keyboards, but Logitech's Ultrathin Keyboard Case is pretty nice, it's the same size as the iPad and attaches to it with magnets like the Smart Cover (though it doesn't stay attached nearly as well). If you don't mind having small keys it's pretty hard to beat.

There's any number of folio cases with keyboards (personally I don't like these either as I like to be able to keep the keyboard separate until I need it), the one by Zaggfolio seems to be popular.

Any recommendations of keyboards for the iPad? Not the apple wireless keyboard, it needs to be portable

This? It is the smallest (and the cover is also a stand for tablets)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008OEHPKM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

u9bWZ.jpg

Microsoft made, but it works with iPad
http://reviews.cnet.com/keyboards/microsoft-wedge-mobile-keyboard/4505-3134_7-35416663.html

Comparision shot...

XueCv.jpg

Anyone with experience replacing the digitizer? A local repair shop botched the replacement and didn't seat the digitizer properly, so it sticks out over the gasket and is starting to pull away from the body.

I'm thinking of reseating it myself. Thoughts on a good adhesive to use or tips in general?

VoxPop

So I noticed AV Player HD isn't in the App Store anymore. Can anyone recommend a good player to watch MKV/MP4/etc files smoothly?

Top Bottom