• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

I was looking for something portable, which is why I didn't want the apple keyboard

I have no idea what you consider portable.

To me, this is potable. It is small... you can palm it (that is not my weird hand)

yWUq5.jpg

and the tablet stand is attached to the keyboard as a cover when not in use (ignore the mouse in this picture - seprate product), so you have less to carry when moving

mDrtB.jpg

The stand supports the ipad perfectly

3g6fKl.jpg

It it not too small to make typing a hassle...

eEflQl.jpg

Portable for me would be the Logitech Ultra thin keyboard and the Solar panel, something I can throw in my bag, like a keyboard/ipad case
You should have specified that you wanted a keyboard case, since like Keyser said all of those keyboards are pretty damn portable.

Logitech Ultrathin seems like the best option to me, but like I said earlier personally the crampedness is a dealbreaker for me. I'd at least look into getting a separate keyboard, they're definitely portable (all three that Keyser posted are what, like an inch wider than the Ultrathin cover) and keep the tablet itself convenient for use without the keyboard. Sort of silly to care so much about portability and then buy a keyboard case that's going to at least double the size of your tablet. Get a separate keyboard and you retain the iPad's dimensions for when you're not typing and also get a nicer, closer to full-size keyboard. It's also really nice to be able to use the keyboard at varying distances from the tablet instead of having it stuck in a case.

But anyway, like I said if you really want something that acts as a sort of cover or case I think the Ultrathin is pretty tough to beat. The Brydge looks pretty nice and was supposed to be shipping out soon, but they're expensive.

Quick

Banned
Can anyone recommend the apple polyurethane smart case?
If not what could you recommend?
Thanks.

I personally like my Smart Case, but it easily attracts dirt. I've kept mine as clean as I can for the few months I've had it now. There's also people saying it's loose, I don't find it quite as loose as people claim - it hasn't fallen off or something.

Previously, I had the Griffin Intellicase. Same idea as a Smart Case, but with a Polycarbonate back and a Bicast leather cover. It's more durable, overall, but heavier. The cover is also susceptible to fraying.

Both covers are around the same price range.

Do I recommend the Smart Case? If you hate dirt, probably not, but that probably won't be an issue if you keep it at home for most of the time.

The Intellicase is far better if you're traveling or just outside a lot. I recently had to travel to the US and had my iPad, and I put it under my seat, onto rough surfaces, and generally just had it lugged around, and it's kept everything intact and remained scratch free.

If you're feeling stylish, there's the DODOcase. Wooden case with a leather cover, makes your iPad look like a Moleskine notebook, basically. It's a bit bulky, but not incredibly so. There seems to be a mixed opinion on GAF with DODOcases, with the respective love and hate camps.

I've seen people in this thread talk of wishing the iPad 3 performed as well as the iPad 2.. I'm just curious in what ways the iPad 3 seems inferior to the iPad 2?

Is it just about certain games running a little slower?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I've seen people in this thread talk of wishing the iPad 3 performed as well as the iPad 2.. I'm just curious in what ways the iPad 3 seems inferior to the iPad 2?

Is it just about certain games running a little slower?

Certain graphics intensive games got over zealous at trying to run at native 2048x resolution when clearly they either we not coded sufficiently or were too taxing to do so effectively, GOF2 HD comes to mind. I think most games have sorted themselves out though via upscaling compromises.

Supposedly it gets warmer than the iPad 2 as well, can't relate to that tough myself.

grkazan12

Quick question for anyone who has knowledge about Apple's warranty system. I bought the the new iPad around the time it came out last year during March and I recently found a speck of dust under the screen.

Can I still exchange for another model?

Fuck these rumors of revised iPad retina. Would piss me off to no end.

I hope these rumors are true. I want an A6, IZGO screen, lightning connector 3rd gen. My money is ready for my first iPad, otherwise I wait for gen 4. These rumors have been going on for some time now and are getting juicer, so hopefully they are true.

I hope these rumors are true. I want an A6, IZGO screen, lightning connector 3rd gen. My money is ready for my first iPad, otherwise I wait for gen 4. These rumors have been going on for some time now and are getting juicer, so hopefully they are true.

The things you mentioned would be enough for Apple to call it the 4th generation.

New CPU, new screen, new connector. How is that not a new generation?

I wouldn't give these rumors too much attentions. Last year, we had a lot "iPad Pro for holiday" rumors as well.

mhayze

You do realize that so far, approximately every 12 months there has been a new improved iPad (and before that iPhone, and before that...). Why would you expect there to NOT be a new iPad, with improved Retina display, and sundry other improvements? If it's a few months early or late, in the grand scheme, what's the difference?
I say this as a person that bought an iPad 3, agonizing over whether it was the right time to jump into this whole crazy anuual obsolesence ritual.

Vyer

You do realize that so far, approximately every 12 months there has been a new improved iPad (and before that iPhone, and before that...). Why would you expect there to NOT be a new iPad, with improved Retina display, and sundry other improvements? If it's a few months early or late, in the grand scheme, what's the difference?

eh, six months early is a pretty considerable jump, and would really throw off the schedule Apple has put in place. I'd be surprised.

From the moment they announced this third iPad it seemed to me to be a compromise on Apple's part. It wasn't the iPad they wanted to release, but it was the iPad they had to ship when the schedule called for the new model to show up.

Apple never wants to make a thicker and heavier device, and for that reason alone I've had my eyes set on the next revision. I will buy it whenever it arrives.

Aaron

Never buy an Apple device on the first big improvement. Wait for the next model that'll improve and perfect it. Reason I'm still super happy with ipad2.

MasLegio

Banned
From the moment they announced this third iPad it seemed to me to be a compromise on Apple's part. It wasn't the iPad they wanted to release, but it was the iPad they had to ship when the schedule called for the new model to show up.

Apple never wants to make a thicker and heavier device, and for that reason alone I've had my eyes set on the next revision. I will buy it whenever it arrives.

I feel like the third iPad was the iPad that iPad 2 wasnt. That the iPad 2 was the odd one. Did not think it was worth the money, a pretty useless upgrade. The third iPad I bought day 0 (in midnight queue).

jts

...hate me...
I feel like the third iPad was the iPad that iPad 2 wasnt. That the iPad 2 was the odd one. Did not think it was worth the money, a pretty useless upgrade. The third iPad I bought day 0 (in midnight queue).
No. You see, the original iPad was a prototype-like product, from form factor to the specs, with an incredibly short life expectancy that was launched just to kick things off when the market was new, while the iPad 2 was the real first consumer-oriented, perfected iOS tablet from Apple. It's the 3GS of the iPads, they skipped the 3G altogether this time.

You can confirm that easily by checking that the iPad 2 is still a very valid product these days, while the og iPad is hell. Srsly, 256 megs of RAM, wtf Apple.

And the "new" 32nm A5 iPad 2 is an amazing product in lots of ways. Cheaper than the iPad 3, also thinner, lighter, cooler, longer lasting battery and faster charging too. And just as fast, if not a tad faster. For some types of usage, it's still the best.

It just doesn't have dat retina. But as an OG iPad -> iPad 3 owner myself, while I appreciate that screen immensely, I understand the great trade-off that had to be done, and the sentiment that it doesn't feel like a "definitive" iPad.

So you're saying Apple wanted the iPad to get heavier and thicker for it's third iteration?

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning

Why? We were the test bed for future high-res iPads, much like how the first gen MBAir was the test-bed for the rest that followed. I expected some device within 6-12 months to resolve the gimpy CPU and bandwidth issues that plague the Retina iPads. Didn't anticipate an even better screen tech or the improved dock port.

If I still have the energy or desire to, I'll sell my device and order the replacement.

no, but the Retina feature was more important than superficial barely noticable things like slightly heavier and thicker. And I agree with that decision.

I agree, and that was exactly my point. Apple said "for this third iPad our biggest goal is to get this high res screen in the device", and unfortunately that ended up making the device increase in weight and thickness, but that's certainly not the outcome Apple wanted at the outset.

So the next iteration get things to where Apple wanted them originally, and with that better screen. Any time you take two steps forward, but one step back, that's not ideal. Apple only wants to be taking steps forward, so that is why I see the third iPad as a compromise on their part, and not exactly what they wanted.

Binabik15

So, I got my dad's Ipad 3 as a bday gift and he'll get an Android or Windows tablet instead that he can just plug into a pc and copy stuff.

Now I have the Ipad itself and a camera connector that I've heard helps you run USB flash drives when you do some magic?

I want to copy my ripped CDs to the pad, copy pdf books to it and some pics and vids. I have dropbox on my pc, but no wifi in my dorm room so far, so that's inconvenient (and can I remove files from the dropbox onto the pad, so I can transfer more than the 7 gigs I have?).

I've heard about using iFile from Cydia or using ifunBox and jailbreaking, but I have no Apple products besides an old shuffle, so I have no clue which sites I have to go to for instructions or good advice on Apple products and hacking/connecting them.

Is there some sort of IMatch or equivalent for tv shows and videos downloaded of iTunes. Have some series I want to buy but not enough room on my iPad.

numble

NawidA

Banned
The third gen iPad is an odd one. In almost every way except for the screen, it's not as good of a experience as the iPad 2. I expect the next one to remedy that. Also the iPad 2 was way better than the first one.

Binabik15

So, I got my dad's Ipad 3 as a bday gift and he'll get an Android or Windows tablet instead that he can just plug into a pc and copy stuff.

Now I have the Ipad itself and a camera connector that I've heard helps you run USB flash drives when you do some magic?

I want to copy my ripped CDs to the pad, copy pdf books to it and some pics and vids. I have dropbox on my pc, but no wifi in my dorm room so far, so that's inconvenient (and can I remove files from the dropbox onto the pad, so I can transfer more than the 7 gigs I have?).

I've heard about using iFile from Cydia or using ifunBox and jailbreaking, but I have no Apple products besides an old shuffle, so I have no clue which sites I have to go to for instructions or good advice on Apple products and hacking/connecting them.

Quoting myself here.

I spend way too much time to get the jailbreaking app to finally work and now I have a jailbroken ipad3. Yay. I managed to transfer ebooks via cable and ifunbox to my ipad and view them via the free version of ifile. Okay. But I need an idiot'S guide to ifile. Can I even transfer stuff without wifi using it? How, the pad doesn't show its folders on Windows. Ifunbox I can use to copy pdfs, but I have no clue which folders o use for video files or music or shit. All tutorials I can find online are little kids squeaking into their webcams or people who are far more familiar with Apple and their OS, file structure, programs and all.

Someone help me please.

So I kept trying to download that Disney's Presidents app when it proceeded to tell me that there wasn't enough local storage for me to download it. I scroll down and it says the file size is 1GB. So I free up about 4 or 5 apps and check my settings, and it says I now have 2.5GB free. So I try downloading it again and it tells me the same thing. So I decide to delete 6 MORE apps, which brings up the total free space to 4.5GB. The App Store tells me the same thing.

Is there something I'm not understanding? Is it talking about cloud storage or on-board storage? Anyone have similar issues?

NawidA said:
The third gen iPad is an odd one. In almost every way except for the screen, it's not as good of a experience as the iPad 2. I expect the next one to remedy that. Also the iPad 2 was way better than the first one.

Oh totally. The difference between the first gen and third gen is hilarious. I think the iPad 2 is what officially made the product move beyond showiness and gimmickry and into actual usability. My iPad 1 could never replace my laptop in any category. The iPad 3 at least goes about 30% in.

LCfiner

Just wanted to say that the cool book/app The Elements was updated today for retina resolution and looks STUNNING.

Such a cool book if you're interested in chemistry or science in general.

hwalker84

I totally agree and I've had them all day 1. The battery of the iPad 2 was far superior even before the updated iPad 2.

VPhys

What's the best itunes alternative for transferring music and photos to/from the ipad?

Even now that I have a rMBP and itunes performs better than on a PC, I still can't stand it. It is honestly the ipads/iphone biggest flaw.

DeVeAn

I just got one and its got this yellowish hue. Is this normal? I like white too look white and it's not the case here

pswii60

As someone who is extremely close to buying an iPad 3, I'd love to know more about why you think this. Why is it not as good of an experience as the iPad 2? Is it simply down to the added weight, or is there more to it than that?

EDIT: I currently don't own a tablet at all. I love my desktop PC for everything at the moment but find myself sitting in front of it far too often. I'm hoping a tablet will finally free me from my PC. We'll see!

As someone who is extremely close to buying an iPad 3, I'd love to know more about why you think this. Why is it not as good of an experience as the iPad 2? Is it simply down to the added weight, or is there more to it than that?

EDIT: I currently don't own a tablet at all. I love my desktop PC for everything at the moment but find myself sitting in front of it far too often. I'm hoping a tablet will finally free me from my PC. We'll see!

Don't buy one for at least a couple weeks. Revisions are being announced next week.

Cheebo

Banned
Absolutely. I hope it happens. I won't replace my iPad 2 until the weight and thickness are equal to it, or better.

Have you used a iPad 3? It's basically impossible to notice the thickness/extra weight. It's that small in difference. I mean iPad 2 cases still work after all.

LCfiner

the thickness is impossible to notice (it's tiny elevated lip in the glass compared to the ipad 2. it's half a mm, I think). But I noticed the weight right away. it basically lost the gians made from ipad 1 to 2. I noticed it going down and i noticed it going back up.

I dealt with it since the screen was so worth it, but I will gladly welcome an ipad 4 that gets down under 1.3 pounds. hopefully closer to 1.1 or 1.2 pounds.

Have you used a iPad 3? It's basically impossible to notice the thickness/extra weight. It's that small in difference. I mean iPad 2 cases still work after all.

Yes, I have. The weight was more easily noticeable, but I could notice it was thicker as well. It also got warm, which I did not like.

I still don't think that we'll see an iPad 3 refresh this year, but should they really do it, I'll probably break my rule and order one day 1.

But then again, if they're confident enough to refresh the 3 in the same year, it makes me wonder what they got for the iPad 4. Otherwise it would be an even bigger "disappointment" than the Iphone 4S and 5

I still don't think that we'll see an iPad 3 refresh this year, but should they really do it, I'll probably break my rule and order one day 1.

But then again, if they're confident enough to refresh the 3 in the same year, it makes me wonder what they got for the iPad 4. Otherwise it would be an even bigger "disappointment" than the Iphone 4S and 5

It's a sure thing they're adding the new lightning port to all iPad models next week.

The only question is whether that's all they'll change.

Cheebo

Banned
It's a sure thing they're adding the new lightning port to all iPad models next week.

The only question is whether that's all they'll change.

Makes more sense till still wait till the spring. Unless they got everything in here (A6X chipset, etc). If that was the case I assume we'd have a lot more rumors.

Quick

Banned
maybe Tim Cook finally double downed on secrecy lol

No kidding.

Apple's been especially abysmal with keeping recent devices from being leaked. The iPhone 5 announcement was pretty underwhelming partly because I already knew how it looked like, and some bits of info about it.

Top Bottom