• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I didn't get a white iPad just to make a fashion statement, or to be different. I got it because I think it looks so nice when you're browsing the net and white pages blend in with the border. Just like the white iPad sticks out like a sore thumb when it's off, the black one sticks out when you're browsing almost any webpage. Browsing the web is what I'll be doing on it 90% of the time, I'm not looking at it when it's off, so I decided to buy my first white iOS device
huh?

Do you have a white monitor bezel?

The black is definitely less glaring overall in my opinion.

giga

You guys…you have 14 days to exchange it at an apple store if you want. There's no restocking fee.

I got the black because:

- all my other things on my desk are black (monitor is black, mbp border is black, receiver is black, phone is black, etc)
- the black border between the LCD and the bezel isn't noticeable, unlike the white one.
- the FaceTime camera isn't noticeable
- the home button isn't as noticeable. The white one becomes more pronounced because the clear plastic home button edges gives off pronounced shadows. You get shadows on the black one as well, but it's not as noticeable because…it's black.

5617088731_c6e4758909_b.jpg

5567630404_3abba1b01e_b.jpg

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
White is the one to have. It just looks so good.

Pretty sure all of my iOS devices will be the white versions going forward. Ever since I saw the iPhone 4 in white I was sold that it was superior. Those picture above just prove my point.

Black is everywhere in tech these days. White is the new black. Black is the new beige.

Prezhulio

so what's the best media server app for ipad over a wireless network? (i use ps3 media server, the code.google one and love it)

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Well now it's even harder to decide... I just know the little black line in the white iPad is going to bother me when I use it, but it just looks so sexy

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Mine has shipped. Be awesome to somehow get it early. Crazy how early Apple ships when Amazon ships like 12 hours before release day delivery.

White is the one to have. It just looks so good.

Pretty sure all of my iOS devices will be the white versions going forward. Ever since I saw the iPhone 4 in white I was sold that it was superior. Those picture above just prove my point.

Black is everywhere in tech these days. White is the new black. Black is the new beige.

Once again, RubxQub makes the same comment I was going to make.

That image you showed confirmed it for me. I'm glad she picked White for me. Now just imagine the new iPad, you won't even be able to see the pixels in that image!

AndTAR

White is certainly delicious, great for hiding bezel fingerprints also. I've just found the amount of light reflected to be distracting, especially for outdoors use. Kind of just adds to the reflection issues from the glossy finish.

I find black much more subtle, understated and universal, fit for whatever purpose the device is used for, be it movies in fullscreen, games, browsing or random applications.

Interfectum

still available online for march 16th... is this unusual for apple? i figured they'd be sold out by now. considering copping one.

soldat7

Wife just ordered the BookBook case for her 'free' iPad 2.

BookBook_iPad-660x514.jpg

I'm tempted to get one too, but I think I'd prefer a sleeve. Any good sleeve-type cases out there? I use my iPad naked (and without a case) and want an excellent sleeve for it when it's not in use.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
All I own is an iPhone 4 and MacBook Pro. I used to have an iPad 1 but I barely ever use it now as it's become a device for the kids to watch Disney movies, play games and do math/educational tests on.

When I DID have the iPad though, it was just a way to do ANYTHING that I didn't need to do exclusively on my MBP. Instead of deciding to do certain tasks on my i4 vs MBP, I just use the iPad comfortably.

Obviously it isn't for everyone, but having everything you need on a truly portable device (versus MBP) that is at the same time fully capable of performing most tasks enjoyably (vs i4) is why it's worth it imo.

Same here. It cut down the amount of time I used my mbp a lot. The screen size makes it much more comfortable for web browsing at home than a laptop or smartphone. Although recently with a new MacBook air, I started using that more, two finger scrolling and almost instant on is really nice too

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'm tempted to get one too, but I think I'd prefer a sleeve. Any good sleeve-type cases out there? I use my iPad naked (and without a case) and want an excellent sleeve for it when it's not in use.

Check out the ones on Timbuk2.com. Great quality stuff there.

DJ88

The white when reading white pages is offsetting, while holding the black one gives you the feeling you are actually reading a book because there is no 'blend' plus the corner contrast between the white pages and black bezel makes you appreciate the text more, you read it with comfort.
I honestly don't see it like that. To me, when viewing white pages on the black iPad it feels like I'm viewing it through a thick window frame because the bezel is so big. With the white it just feels like a big white slab with text on it, even with that tiny black space around the screen. Thats just my opinion though. Simply put, dark/black images look great on the black iPad and not so good on the white, and bright/white images look great on the white iPad and not so good on the black. Since I think I'll be seeing white web pages most of the time I chose the white. That's just my preference I guess.

Blackhead

Redarse
We have the iPhone versions. Everyone is so jealous.
I tried the iPhone version but found typing to be horrible when the phone is in that case. The iPad version looks better but didn't wow me when it came out (what's up with that button inside the case?). I'd use it more like a sleeve than as a case.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Argghhhh im debating whether i should get a version with 4g support just in case...

Hearing that the one that works on verizon will let you use it as a hotspot has me intrigued.

noah111

Still Alive
You guys…you have 14 days to exchange it at an apple store if you want. There's no restocking fee.

I got the black because:

- all my other things on my desk are black (monitor is black, mbp border is black, receiver is black, phone is black, etc)
- the black border between the LCD and the bezel isn't noticeable, unlike the white one.
- the FaceTime camera isn't noticeable
- the home button isn't as noticeable. The white one becomes more pronounced because the clear plastic home button edges gives off pronounced shadows. You get shadows on the black one as well, but it's not as noticeable because…it's black.

5617088731_c6e4758909_b.jpg
Plfy7.gif

Black-iPad-GAF unite.

Argghhhh im debating whether i should get a version with 4g support just in case...

Hearing that the one that works on verizon will let you use it as a hotspot has me intrigued.
If you don't plan on upgrading next year or the year after that, definitely get it. If you can see yourself upgrading to the newest iPad in a year or two, then don't. Depends on your usage though, really.

DJ88

I chose in store pickup. Visions of the UPS guy throwing my iPad onto the porch sealed the deal. :p

This is something that's been worrying me a little. Mine's already preparing for shipping so it's too late to change it to store pick up. Anyone that's ordered an iPad online want to share how the packaging is? Is it going to be safe from the careless handling of my apt building's front desk staff?

I tried the iPhone version but found typing to be horrible when the phone is in that case.

I don't find that to be so; if anything typing in portrait orientation is better with the case. I certainly miss the svelteness of holding the phone naked, and the case is not ideal for anyone who uses the camera.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Black bezel is clearly superior from a function perspective. Helps to make the bezel disappear and keep focus solely on the screen, especially in low ambient light.

noah111

Still Alive
I don't find that to be so; if anything typing in portrait orientation is better with the case. I certainly miss the svelteness of holding the phone naked, and the case is not ideal for anyone who uses the camera.
Yeah, recently went naked with my iPhone 4 again and I haven't put on the case since. And my case is a thin, unobtrusive one, too. Nothing beats naked iDevices imo.

Cheebo

Banned
This is something that's been worrying me a little. Mine's already preparing for shipping so it's too late to change it to store pick up. Anyone that's ordered an iPad online want to share how the packaging is? Is it going to be safe from the careless handling of my apt building's front desk staff?

Well, Apple requires a signature of the person the package is shipping to for launch day releases due to the high demand to insure no one steals it so that won't happen.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
Just got an email from Apple, my iPad won't arrive until the 20th now. I ordered as soon as the site started working on Wednesday night in the UK. Bummer.

Yaska

Hmm, interesting. Apple still doesn't have ipad for preorder on their store, and the local store I preordered from just removed the product from their webpage, but my order still exists. I guess it's quaranteed I'll get mine on the launch day( 23rd)

Top Bottom