• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

I don't get it. My new iPad order from yesterday is preparing to ship. But my apple tv with cancelled iPad from announcement day is still processing.

SeanR1221

I make settlement 2 week after the iPad comes out. My fiancé asked if I'm more excited for the house or iPad. I lied and said house :cool:

Falch

Do not listen to him. I owned both colours, and the black is much much better. The white frame highlights the thin gap between the frame and the panel. It's a thin black line, and in many cases not quite lined up. I tested three white iPad 2s and they all had an LCD slightly misaligned to the left (holding it portrait). This was very noticeable because when the screen was on, there was a slightly thicker black line on the right than on the left. With the black model, this thin black line is never seen, whether it is on or off.

Found a picture...

5492760036_56a8f7c9e4.jpg

See the gap? You don't see that on the black model.

And I'm back to black again.

Pagusas

Elden Member
You guys…you have 14 days to exchange it at an apple store if you want. There's no restocking fee.

I got the black because:

- all my other things on my desk are black (monitor is black, mbp border is black, receiver is black, phone is black, etc)
- the black border between the LCD and the bezel isn't noticeable, unlike the white one.
- the FaceTime camera isn't noticeable
- the home button isn't as noticeable. The white one becomes more pronounced because the clear plastic home button edges gives off pronounced shadows. You get shadows on the black one as well, but it's not as noticeable because…it's black.

5617088731_c6e4758909_b.jpg

5567630404_3abba1b01e_b.jpg

how about refunds with orders from Apple.com? Is it free shipping back? And how long do the refunds take to post (for an unopen product)

noah111

Still Alive
And I'm back to black again.
Another convert. Logic prevails.

But honestly, I think the white iPhone 4/S looks a lot better than the white iPad, in comparison to their black counterparts. Maybe because of the white backing as well and smaller screen, but yeah.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
You're absolutely right, it does. But I'm assuming, and this is a rather reasomable assumption, that someone working on documents from a computer and wanting to transfer that stuff to an iPad would be in a situation where they have internet access- it's not that far of a leap. And a statement like 'I won't consider an ipad until this can be done' is just ridiculous, because its expectations that any rational person knows will never happen. I'm not living in a utopia, and you don't need to use that condescending tone. My point was that there are many alternatives that could work. In this day and age most people who have an iPad have internet access-believe it or not. Quite a shocker, eh? The fact that this mere suggestion makes you accuse me of being disconnected from reality and living in a utopia says a lot about you. Maybe you're the one living in a cave? For that tiny, statistically insignificant niche that doesn't, Apple is not going to add ports to cater to their needs.
It was your condescending tone that made me reply in the first place making it sound like people who would like to be able to use usb media as out of touch or backwards and unaware of advances in technology.
Cloud computing as it stands is a potentially expensive and unreliable solution to the issue of file transfer outside of a home network, it has advantages but a lot of disadvantages as well which won't be overcome while we are paying $10 a GB for data.
You can argue its not worthy of discussion because it was never and never will be a possibility but it is a reasonable things to lament.

I prefer leather folio cases on my iPad over the alternatives. If suave men like the President of the United States realize the importance of protecting his device with elegance and class, why can't the plebs?

I typically see a young college student rocking out his naked iPad sheepishly on the Wall Street bound train trying to show off, not realizing that the train full of IBers don't give a shit and have theirs wrapped up in leather cases tucked under their arms. Some days I hope the train makes a sudden stop and the hipster's iPad crashes to the ground, cracked and broken.

Nothing would make me more delighted.

Right, who's going to make some sexy wallpapers then? We had a thread for it for the iPhone 4. I am guessing on the iPad they need to be 2048x2048 due to rotation?

giga

how about refunds with orders from Apple.com? Is it free shipping back? And how long do the refunds take to post (for an unopen product)
They can be shipped or returned in store. Not sure about shipping.

Just got an email from Apple, my iPad won't arrive until the 20th now. I ordered as soon as the site started working on Wednesday night in the UK. Bummer.
It could be worse…

LX9X5.png

I think the difference will be clear when you see retina display on both the white and the black ipads. the screen will be so sharp that when you see the black band on the corners on the white combined with the the white bezel it is going to distract you while on the black iPad the contrast between the amazing bright brilliantly sharp colors and corners will look even more amazing with the black bezel as the perfect contrast.

White is all about looks, Oh hey that looks awesome. I look at it from a functional perspective. As I look at it. the white iPad is amazing to look at when you are looking at it in another persons hand but when you hold it and compare it with a black iPad, you will want to keep the black ipad in your hand

I prefer leather folio cases on my iPad over the alternatives. If suave men like the President of the United States realize the importance of protecting his device with elegance and class, why can't the plebs?

I typically see a young college student rocking out his naked iPad sheepishly on the Wall Street bound train trying to show off, not realizing that the train full of IBers don't give a shit and have theirs wrapped up in leather cases tucked under their arms. Some days I hope the train makes a sudden stop and the hipster's iPad crashes to the ground, cracked and broken.

Nothing would make me more delighted.

You sound like the hipster cliche wouldn't accept you, which is interesting.

is the smart cover the best choice for an 'around the house' cover? only had an ipad 1, skipped the 2 so not up to speed on cases etc.

Smart Cover has worked out very well for me. If you're just going to be using it around the house, no need to wrap that beautifully designed iPad up with some janky brick of a case.

pubba

Anyone know if apple have midnight launches? I'd love to line up and buy one at midnight but can't find anything online about it..

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Here is a nice difference

Great pictures...and Archer is awesome. Based on those pictures black comes out as the visual favorite to me. But of course that doesn't change the fact that every new piece of tech these days is black (for a reason, but it's still common) and having a white device gives it an aura of awesome that black devices just can't touch.

When white devices become common place I'll be getting red devices. When red devices become common place I'll be getting yellow devices. I will not be one of the many! WILL NOT!

Anyone know if apple have midnight launches? I'd love to line up and buy one at midnight but can't find anything online about it..
Nadda. The stores will open early on launch day, but nothing like a midnight launch...more like a couple hours early. Midnight is going to be about when most people will want to start lining up if they didn't reserve one, though!

cackhyena

Can anyone link me to alternative good covers? I remember watching Wilfred and Elijah Wood's character had a seemingly nice leather one...I think. I thought I'd like something similar when i get an iPad.

Prezhulio

if i pre-order and choose in-store pickup, will i still have to wait through the mass line of people who didn't? or do apple stores generally have separate lines for pre-orders and non-preorder at launch?

RubxQub

if i pre-order and choose in-store pickup, will i still have to wait through the mass line of people who didn't? or do apple stores generally have separate lines for pre-orders and non-preorder at launch?

Separate lines. Apple stores should have enough to cover all the in-store pickups and then additional ones for campers. Waiting in the in-store pickup line is still going to be a longer than you'd like experience, though.

You can't just show up when they open and get your device. The queue for reserved devices is still fairly long.

kr2t0s

ordered 2 on pre-order day, 1 white and 1 black. One for me and one for my moms. Order finally changed to shipping! Feels good man.

I had a black ipad1 (obviously) and a black ipad2. Think i'll keep the white one when it arrives. Then ship the black one to my moms

Question. I won't be near my syncing computer when I get my new iPad. When I connect my iTunes account to my new iPad will it automatically begin to download all my apps that are installed on my iPhone?

Question. I won't be near my syncing computer when I get my new iPad. When I connect my iTunes account to my new iPad will it automatically begin to download all my apps that are installed on my iPhone?

I don't think so. But once you login to your Apple account and load up the app store, your list of apps is easily accessible for redownload...

Prezhulio

Separate lines. Apple stores should have enough to cover all the in-store pickups and then additional ones for campers. Waiting in the in-store pickup line is still going to be a longer than you'd like experience, though.

You can't just show up when they open and get your device. The queue for reserved devices is still fairly long.

thanks for the info. i won't be able to go till after work, so i'm sure there'll be a line for pre-order pickup, but maybe it won't be as severe as the store-openers.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Smart Cover has worked out very well for me. If you're just going to be using it around the house, no need to wrap that beautifully designed iPad up with some janky brick of a case.

cheers. will look at silicone rear covers when they are updated to the new shape

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Someone sell me on getting the 4g version instead of the wifi. Go!!

I had a wifi only iPad 1.

RubxQub

Nadda, and honestly I don't think you'd want it to.

If you had a previous iPad you could just restore from an iCloud backup, but I find it refreshing to start new and just get the apps you actually want. You can still browse your purchased apps in the app store to cherry pick the ones you want, but there are still a ton of iPhone specific (non-universal) apps out there that you wouldn't want to put on your iPad.

Damn I'll expect the same then :(

Urge to avatar quote...rising!

Nadda, and honestly I don't think you'd want it to.

If you had a previous iPad you could just restore from an iCloud backup, but I find it refreshing to start new and just get the apps you actually want. You can still browse your purchased apps in the app store to cherry pick the ones you want, but there are still a ton of iPhone specific (non-universal) apps out there that you wouldn't want to put on your iPad.

What I was hoping for was some sort of built in migration/transfer app. Such as "hey I see you use these apps on your iPhone, check the ones off you want on your iPad. So what transfers is "setting" such as what stories I have read on my reeder app correct?

Someone sell me on getting the 4g version instead of the wifi. Go!!

I had a wifi only iPad 1.

you only need wifi if you are on the road a lot and want to take your ipad to the country side. If you have an iPhone why dont you just tether to the iPad. Also the 4G has the GPS which the wifi version does not. but again...your phone can do that

Prezhulio

oooo i have another question for resident ipadders:

if i have a iphone4 already with 2.4gb of my 5gb icloud being used, will i get another 5gb for the new ipad or will it be shared between the two devices?

RubxQub

you only need wifi if you are on the road a lot and want to take your ipad to the country side. If you have an iPhone why dont you just tether to the iPad. Also the 4G has the GPS which the wifi version does not. but again...your phone can do that

My plan exactly, and why I held back on getting a 4G model vs. the WiFi model. The new batch of iPhones will almost certainly be 4G and continue to offer tethering, so I'll just "survive" with my 3G tethering until the new iPhones come out later in the year.

I don't want to pay the premium for the iPad up front and then have multiple data plans going whenever I feel like using my iPad on the go.

My plan exactly, and why I held back on getting a 4G model vs. the WiFi model. The new batch of iPhones will almost certainly be 4G and continue to offer tethering, so I'll just "survive" with my 3G tethering until the new iPhones come out later in the year.

I don't want to pay the premium for the iPad up front and then have multiple data plans going whenever I feel like using my iPad on the go.

My hope is that they come out with more intelligent data plans in June. Adding tethering on AT&T is just garbage.

MThanded

Your logic is impeccable. I plan to sell my 4s and get a 5 when the time comes so it makes more sense to go that way.

Sticking with my wifi only.

I am going to be logging into my iCloud on the iPad (which I use on my 4S). I am assuming it will try and download all of the apps that are stored on the iPhone? I know they aren't stored on iCloud, but it will look at iTunes won't it and then download everything?

Not sure I want it to do that!

Tobor

oooo i have another question for resident ipadders:

if i have a iphone4 already with 2.4gb of my 5gb icloud being used, will i get another 5gb for the new ipad or will it be shared between the two devices?

Shared. I upgraded to 15 GB of storage for that very reason, but you may not need to depending on what you keep on your iPad.

Cheebo

Banned
Seeing people worried about how the package will be left for them makes me realize...does everyone know Apple's launch day shipment policies? For day of release special shipments like this you are required to sign for it. They won't leave it. If you aren't home to sign for your new iPad you won't get it that day.

Seeing people worried about how the package will be left for them makes me realize...does everyone know Apple's launch day shipment policies? For day of release special shipments like this you are required to sign for it. They won't leave it. If you aren't home to sign for your new iPad you won't get it that day.

I'm probably going to leave work early next Friday. I don't think FEDEX would deliver before 5pm right?

Kosmo

Banned
Your logic is impeccable. I plan to sell my 4s and get a 5 when the time comes so it makes more sense to go that way.

Sticking with my wifi only.

This is the smart way to go. My only question is on storage. I have been perfectly fine with my iPad 1 16GB, but with the new iPhoto app, that could be a serious space eater...

MThanded

Which is still a raw deal because if you don't get it you will probably have to wait until monday to get it. Unless you are going to go to the shipping depot which may or may not be close/ or open on the weekend.

This is the smart way to go. My only question is on storage. I have been perfectly fine with my iPad 1 16GB, but with the new iPhoto app, that could be a serious space eater...
I would go with a 32 GB. I think the iphoto app and the inevitable increase in asset resolution for a lot of apps to support the retina display is going to fill the device up much quicker.

Top Bottom