• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Seeing people worried about how the package will be left for them makes me realize...does everyone know Apple's launch day shipment policies? For day of release special shipments like this you are required to sign for it. They won't leave it. If you aren't home to sign for your new iPad you won't get it that day.

Can't you pre-sign for delivery on Apple's website once your order has shipped?

In the US store, looks like the 16gb white will now be shipped on the 19th; everything else is still deliverd on the 16th. Interesting how that one sold out first...

Zeth

I'm really torn about what to do for Friday. I got my order in relatively early and it'll most likely arrive by 5pm, but I'm also off all day and more than willing to brave the epic line at my local Apple store to get it in my hands ASAP. This really shouldn't be a difficult decision at all, but it's driving me crazy. The store is only 10 min away, but I'm fine with waiting for delivery. It's just that tiny chance that something could go wrong with the package that makes unsure. First world problems I know.

noah111

Still Alive
Anyone coming to Syria within the month? Bring along an iPad. :p

Looking at the prices for the iPad 2 here, they are like $100-$200 more expensive than in the states, just because the importation methods I guess. Fuck, this is gonna be ridiculous buying the 64GB 4G. :s

FreeMufasa

I'm really torn about what to do for Friday. I got my order in relatively early and it'll most likely arrive by 5pm, but I'm also off all day and more than willing to brave the epic line at my local Apple store to get it in my hands ASAP. This really shouldn't be a difficult decision at all, but it's driving me crazy. The store is only 10 min away, but I'm fine with waiting for delivery. It's just that tiny chance that something could go wrong with the package that makes unsure. First world problems I know.

Can you get someone to wait in your house? I've asked a friend and she's going to do it for me.

Wubby

Mine hasn't shipped yet either. I would guess Japanese orders might ship a bit later than US orders though since it's a quick hop away from China. Still shows a delivery date of the 16th though so I'm happy for now.

Looks like anyone ordering one now on the Japanese apple site will have a 2-3 week wait. Yesterday the delivery date for new orders had been bumped to the 19th. Glad I ordered when I did.

Has anyone had experience with FedEx and their "Hold at FedEx Location" option? Would these shipments even be eligible? I was able to modify my ATV preorder to change the shipping address to my work address, but couldn't do that to my iPad preorder since I ordered it with a smart cover which shipped out immediately, meaning the order couldn't be modified.

I know UPS won't allow you to do anything with a shipment until they attempt delivery at least once.

nyong

Banned
Argghhhh im debating whether i should get a version with 4g support just in case...

Hearing that the one that works on verizon will let you use it as a hotspot has me intrigued.

The data plans are still such a rip-off. I'm hoping in two years the wireless infrastructure is better built and cheaper to use. For now, wifi-only for me.

Vyer

Man, when Apple's system was brought to its knees Wednesday it must have really fucked with the ordering.

I wasn't planning on preordering until the evening because I was working and everything was collapsing anyhow after the keynote. My mom calls me, turns out she is planning on buying an iPad and couldn't get through either. She decided to go to the phone system and since she was going to wait anyway she offered to order mine for me too. I gave her my CC info. So of course she had to order it under her Apple ID. So I look it up later and it shows both separate orders, under two CCs, BUT mine has her address, email and phone number under the billing information. I figure this will cause a problem with the authorization so I call Apple up and go ahead and have my order cancelled and do a new one under my Apple ID.

Then I notice later that my credit card has a charge for THREE ipads pending. I call mom and ask her to check hers and she also has a charge for an ipad pending. So WTF where are the charges applied to.

The charge on her card is her ipad, that's fine.
One of mine is the cancelled ipad, that's fine.
The other of mine is my newly ordered ipad under my Apple ID, that's fine.
But WTF is the third one.

So then I notice in my email I get TWO 'thank you for ordering' messages from Apple. I log into the store with my Apple ID and there are TWO orders...including my mom's original ipad order (I know this because she had hers engraved).

I don't even know how the hell they did that, since they didn't have my Apple ID at the time. lol

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I switched my order for the third time this morning to switch to store pickup. Nobody was going to be home on Friday so I am just going to swing by the Apple store on the way home from work. I expect a fairly painless process.

I'm just outside of Washington DC.

My tracking has moved over to SHIPPED and status says Picked Up in Middletown, PA with "Future Delivery Requested" noted.

I doubt it's sitting there in Pennsylvania now, I guess it's coming from China to that location and will be relayed from there. Just weird it's already listed in the tracking.

Has anyone had experience with FedEx and their "Hold at FedEx Location" option? Would these shipments even be eligible. I was able to modify my ATV preorder to change the shipping address to my work address, but couldn't do that to my iPad preorder since I ordered it with a smart cover which shipped out immediately, meaning the order couldn't be modified.

I know UPS won't allow you to do anything with a shipment until they attempt delivery at least once.

Oh bleep! I forgot about that! Oh man, that's worth a shot.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Has anyone had experience with FedEx and their "Hold at FedEx Location" option? Would these shipments even be eligible? I was able to modify my ATV preorder to change the shipping address to my work address, but couldn't do that to my iPad preorder since I ordered it with a smart cover which shipped out immediately, meaning the order couldn't be modified.

Yes

You simply pick it up at the closest FedEx location to you. The package is usually delivered in the morning (around 8:30). It can be a clever way to get your stuff extra early.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
I just got the shipment email now! Wooo!

FYI: I put my order in at around 4:15pm CST on keynote day. 16GB Black.

shira

It's a natural reaction to advertising. A new model of car always sells best in the colour that it was first revealed.

I have never seen a bright Yellow Camaro
jcFmtGURN04sw.jpg

bamboo case
Why would you want something that looks like a chopping board? OMFG 6-10 weeks shipping and $120 on sale. Bamboo isn't that expensive. Wow.

Mideon

My iPad status is still processing but now it does not show the iPad just a shipping box, I have no idea whats going on.

numble

They will take longer from ship date to arrival date than the past. Chengdu is basically in the middle of China--they used to ship things from Shenzhen, which is right on the coast. Google Map Chengdu, China if interested.

it's like shipping something from Kansas to Germany versus from New York City to Germany.

My iPad status is still processing but now it does not show the iPad just a shipping box, I have no idea whats going on.

You had to buy the iPad separately. I thought everyone knew that already? You must have just purchased the retail box, instead. I'd call Apple and see if you can add the iPad to your order as well.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
You had to buy the iPad separately. I thought everyone knew that already? You must have just purchased the retail box, instead. I'd call Apple and see if you can add the iPad to your order as well.

Classic rookie mistake... :lol

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
They all get delivered on the same day, don't they? What does it matter getting worked up about the ship date?

The illusion that we're all under is that if it's shipping early, somehow our batch will sneak through the Apple hold and we'll get them early. There are a few folks out there who end up getting their new toys days in advance of the general population because FedEx accidentally lets them through instead of holding them.

...we want to be one of those who snuck through...

Also, if your item shipped already there's no way you're going to miss the 3/16 launch date. Those still in processing there is this fear that Apple is going to send a "Sorry about that...you're getting yours a week later than everyone else...FUCKER!" or something like that.

If it's out the door already, you're already good. If it's not quite yet...you're PROBABLY (99.9%) fine...but seeing that the box is moving is best indicator that you're good.

noah111

Still Alive
Wow, this is going to be interesting to watch. How long will they even last on physical shelves? Sucks if the order is getting pushed back a few days, though.

Flo_Evans

Wow, this is going to be interesting to watch. How long will they even last on physical shelves? Sucks if the order is getting pushed back a few days, though.

wonder if there is going to be a big resale value... I would consider selling mine for a nice 20% profit :p

kr2t0s

You need the space.

PIC

WOW! That really puts some things into perspective. Definitely happy I ordered a 32gb and now i'm starting to think if I needed 64gb haha

I know it's been said before but I really wish they doubled the memory on The New iPad: 32, 64, 128

noah111

Still Alive
You need the space.

68deb212.jpg
I knew that's why iPhoto is 100+MB making it the biggest photo editor on iOS (I think?). Not to mention tweetbot for iPad is just that, only for iPad. Imagine the intensive universal apps that support i4+iPad 3.

Even more sanguine about buying a 64GB now. :D

wonder if there is going to be a big resale value... I would consider selling mine for a nice 20% profit :p
I wouldn't be surprised tbh.

Your Orders.
Change, cancel, track, or return.
All in one place.

I like how even the order status page is given the portentous, incomplete-sentence Apple treatment.

Top Bottom