• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

x-Lundz-x

I caved an ordered the 32GB in White yesterday, hopefully it should ship out today. (Says preparing for shipment). I told myself I was not going to cave, but I did. I love my Kindle Fire, but the lack of apps kills it for me. iPad 3 here I come. :)

Those pics of the white pad are extreme. Who reads text like that? And how often do you watch video in that style?

The white iPad is far superior for reading comics and browsing

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
The white iPad is far superior for reading comics and browsing

...and picking up chicks. Lets not forget that old adage: "White gets 'em wet, black makes them jet."

noah111

Still Alive
Still going with white. Getting a white iphone5 later this year. Keep my Apple white and the rest of my devices black. In person and at night, I'm sure the screen won't be absolute black so having a black border will actually be worse. The white is make the black seem blacker. Welcome to video land suckers!
vGAJ3.gif

In person and at night, I'm sure the screen won't be absolute black so having a black border will actually be worse. The white is make the black seem blacker.
No. No. No. In daylight or well-lit rooms at night, black absolutely looks like those photos. In darkness, yes, the black levels are not brilliant, as it's IPS. But that doesn't mean that suddenly a white frame helps. The blacks levels are the same. The white frame doesn't 'fool the eye' into making blacks looks blacker, if anything it's slightly distracting.

R2D4

Banned
I'm sure now how having a black or a white border is any more distracting than watching a movie on a 10 inch screen.

AndTAR

Speaking of black levels, I wonder if the new screen improves on that. They only mentioned the resolution and color saturation increase during the keynote. As far as I remember, the iPad 2 actually had worse blacks than its predecessor, so would be nice if that got improved this time around.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Why would you want that?

$$$$ I ordered 2, plus a third for a family member under there account. I no longer want the 16gb cause I've convinced myself the 32 is better, so I can either A. return the 16, or B. if there is a shortage, sell it for (hopefully) a profit and basically pay for the upgrade i did to the 32gb. Worst comes to worst I set a minimum ebay price of $700 for the 16gb, if it doesn't meat that I'm out of the ebay auction cost and return the ipad to apple for a refund. no big deal :)

Blackhead

Redarse
So... now that preorders appears to be wrapping up on Apple.com who is planning to wait in line on launch day? It's be best if Apple sells it at 8 am in the morning instead of 5pm in the evening as it was last year.\

edit: uh, Avixph changed his comment saying that Apple.com was no longer accepting preorders....

Just found out apple has this

Do I have to be available when my package is delivered?
To ensure safe delivery, our carriers require a signature for delivery. If you’re unable to provide a signature, click “Pre-sign for this shipment” above to sign for your package in advance. For more details, refer to the Shipping & Pickup Help page.

.GqueB.

Banned
So I can get a ipad 2 with smart cover for $325 no tax. It's used but not abused.

Yes or No? Whaaaat ssaaayyy yoooouuu Gaaaafffff

Weeeeeee! Mine shipped this morning.
The 16th can't get here fast enough. I sold mine and I rather miss it now. I used that thing a whole lot.

I've gone back to reading more books this week though. That's kind of nice. Makes me hope that iPad 4 will have a nice color e-ink screen ( but that's improbable). Still, I'd rather have that than haptic feedback.

Enco

So I can get a ipad 2 with smart cover for $325 no tax. It's used but not abused.

Yes or No? Whaaaat ssaaayyy yoooouuu Gaaaafffff
Depends how much of a tech lover you are.

iPad 3 is ways ahead but the iPad 2 is perfectly capable and will be enough for 80% of people.

cnizzle06

Banned
How many of you guys bought a 4G version? I feel like I should take advantage of that feature but the price hike is making me reluctant.

x-Lundz-x

How many of you guys bought a 4G version? I feel like I should take advantage of that feature but the price hike is making me reluctant.

Honestly, unless you are going to be using this in a work environment where you need to have connection 24/7 are you really going to be using it someplace where you will not have wifi access? I mean paying 20 bucks a month plus the added cost alone seems totally unneeded to me, but everywhere I will be using mine I will have wifi, you might be different....

I'm thinking of getting an iPad. I've never had one before and am wondering what the right size is for it. My first thought is that size shouldn't matter too much because you're not going to be listening to music on it and aren't going to be downloading video with all the streaming.. but then I got to thinking that HD games could get pretty large in the future. What do you guys think? Is 16gb a fine size or is it worth it to go for a larger size?

cnizzle06

Banned
Honestly, unless you are going to be using this in a work environment where you need to have connection 24/7 are you really going to be using it someplace where you will not have wifi access? I mean paying 20 bucks a month plus the added cost alone seems totally unneeded to me, but everywhere I will be using mine I will have wifi, you might be different....

Yeah, I don't know. I was just thinking of it having some use when Im camping or at the beach. Still undecided.

muu

look at my pic above, youll see it.

Awesome, thanks.

I'm thinking of getting an iPad. I've never had one before and am wondering what the right size is for it. My first thought is that size shouldn't matter too much because you're not going to be listening to music on it and aren't going to be downloading video with all the streaming.. but then I got to thinking that HD games could get pretty large in the future. What do you guys think? Is 16gb a fine size or is it worth it to go for a larger size?

You can live with a smaller size, but depending on what you sink in there you might be shuffling around for space. I put a bunch of stuff in there (for non-work use it's basically my travel laptop) so 32GB wasn' t enough and since 2 I've been buying the 64GB version. If you can spare 100 I'd start with a 32GB as it's a good compromise w/o being overly expensive. If you end up liking the whole iPad thing, you'll then be in a good position to upgrade/downgrade on the next iteration you end up purchasing.

Yeah, I don't know. I was just thinking of it having some use when Im camping or at the beach. Still undecided.

I've always found smartphone internet to be sufficient in those kinds of situations.

oktarb

New to the iPad world. I had a generation 1 but left it in a cab after showing it off while drunk I put myself in the idiot penalty box for a bit. I own a iPhone 4S and have the iPad 3rd gen otw.

What apps iPad specifically would you guy recommend? Like a NeoGaf Starter Kit.

Quick

Banned
I ended up buying an iPad 2 today for CAD$419. As impressed as I was with the new iPad, I don't think it was a big enough update for me.

blackflag

I did. I travel a lot for work. I'm going to buy the 50 dollar 5gb verizon plan plus it can be used as a hotspot for my vita or whatever else for free. 50 dollars is steep but my company pays for my iPhone and the plan so it's no big deal since it's not like I have to pay for a phone data plan as well.

Cheebo

Banned
I ended up buying an iPad 2 today for CAD$419. As impressed as I was with the new iPad, I don't think it was a big enough update for me.

The retina screen alone is well worth the $100 you saved, you'll likely regret it soon as you see one in person I imagine.

Top Bottom