• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Cheebo

Banned
I'm probably going to leave work early next Friday. I don't think FEDEX would deliver before 5pm right?
Well, I usually don't get packages till later in the afternoon but for iPad and iPhone launch releases I always got them early in the morning before noon.

Which is still a raw deal because if you don't get it you will probably have to wait until monday to get it. Unless you are going to go to the shipping depot which may or may not be close/ or open on the weekend.

Yeah, if you aren't there that friday you'll likely have to wait to Monday at the soonest to have them try delievering it or let you come pick it up at the shipment place in person.

Apple doesn't want to risk angry customers having their brand new devices stolen so they are stingy on this. I am pretty sure you cant even do the leave a note on the door just to leave it for you trick for these, at least not in the past for day of launch delivery.

Basically if you have an iPad coming day of launch make sure you or someone else is at home. That's how it goes with Apple on these releases.

I have a question. What carrier does Apple use to ship their products. Also do I need to be HOME when the package is delivered?

You have to be home. It's Apple policy for day of releases like this to avoid stolen devices on launch days.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I have a question. What carrier does Apple use to ship their products. Also do I need to be HOME when the package is delivered?

My smart cover is shipping via FedEx. I think they typically use FedEx. When I got my iPhone through the AT&T website it came via UPS, but that's probably because AT&T were the ones sending it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just got an email from Apple, my iPad won't arrive until the 20th now. I ordered as soon as the site started working on Wednesday night in the UK. Bummer.

apparantly 'several' people in the UK have had this link

bad form on apple IMO. If they're going to be late, they should let you pick up in store, and put some stock aside to satisfy you. If this happens to me I'll be pissed as I'm not around on the 20th - away for work. I'd be tempted to pick one up in store and queue up early, then return my posted one later on. But sod's law says that the postman would then come on the friday while I'm queuing up and leave me a nice note saying I was out..

Okay thank god. I believe my FEDEX distribution center is open till 5pm Friday and is indeed open Saturday. It's a little out of the way, but at least I do have the backup.

Mr_eX

Dear ....
We're happy to let you know that the items below are on their way to you. We also included delivery estimates and tracking information next to your shipping address.

Thanks for your time and for shopping with Apple.
- The Apple Store

Items in Your Shipment
iPad with Wi-Fi 32GB - Black (3rd generation)

Carrier Name FEDERAL EXPRESS
Tracking Number ############
Delivers Mar 16, 2012

SolidPain

Neo Member
It is a big problem for me if they change the delivery date. I'm ok with the 16th, which is the current date of the delivery, but I will be traveling on the 18th and won't be back until 3 weeks later.

NYR

Just went over the last few pages - both the black and white are good looking, you really can't go wrong with either.

I like black, ordered black and I'll be happy with black. The black border around the LCD on the white model is a deal breaker for me, Apple is all about seamless design and that stands out too much.

DJ88

Seeing people worried about how the package will be left for them makes me realize...does everyone know Apple's launch day shipment policies? For day of release special shipments like this you are required to sign for it. They won't leave it. If you aren't home to sign for your new iPad you won't get it that day.

I know this but i don't know what will happen under my situation. I live in a high rise with over 40 floors so nothing is ever delivered to my door. Everything I've ever ordered has been delivered and signed for at the front desk. I just go down to pick it up.

When my iPad shows up will they let the building sign for it, or only I can be the one to sign it?

I know this but i don't know what will happen under my situation. I live in a high rise with over 40 floors so nothing is ever delivered to my door. Everything I've ever ordered has been delivered and signed for at the front desk. I just go down to pick it up.

When my iPad shows up are they going to try and go up to my floor, wait for me to come down and sign, or let the building sign for it?

I'd imagine the building. They just want to make sure a human gets it.

noah111

Still Alive
If somehow they were able to make the glass turn into a white snow type tint (or the pixels/screen for that matter) when you turn the screen off, so it's just a white slab.

That'd look amazing. Until then, black all the way.

Hoo-doo

Banned
What if they made an iPad with a brushed aluminum border around the screen, like the Macbook Air's?
Would you be interested?

16202.jpg

Apple doesn't want to risk angry customers having their brand new devices stolen so they are stingy on this. I am pretty sure you cant even do the leave a note on the door just to leave it for you trick for these, at least not in the past for day of launch delivery.

This isn't true. I always leave a note and my stuff always gets left at the door. Iphones, Ipads, macbooks... all on launch day.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Since I went with black for my iPad 2, I'm going with white for the 3rd generation one.

I think the supply problems for the 3g iPad won't as bad this time around, as the Japan tsunami really constrained supply for the iPad 2.

Cheebo

Banned
No it doesn't. HBO GO does not work over mirroring, for example.

I thought that just applied to the in-app mirroring, like Netflix, Videos. Itunes, etc gives you an option to use so it takes up the full screen. The actual airplay mirroring I thought literally mirrors everything? I dont use Hulu + so I am not positive.

Tobor

I thought that just applied to the in-app mirroring, like Netflix, Videos. Itunes, etc gives you an option to use so it takes up the full screen. The actual airplay mirroring I thought literally mirrors everything? I dont use Hulu + so I am not positive.

Nope. You get a "this app cannot be mirrored" message.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
If you don't care about scratches on the rear.

I used a smart cover on my iPad 2 for a year and did not have any major scratches on the back and got full price for trading in. The back material is pretty solid as is, so a smart cover + sleeve for travel is great.

I used a smart cover on my iPad 2 for a year and did not have any major scratches on the back and got full price for trading in. The back material is pretty solid as is, so a smart cover + sleeve for travel is great.

Same here. Granted, I only had my iPad 2 for four months but I only had a smart cover on it and never had any scratches on the back. Maybe I just love the feel of the device and realize it is pretty durable as well. I'm also not going to sit it on a very rough surface. Table, desk, bed, counter...it stayed in perfect condition on the back.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I think I'm going to get a quality sleeve and a skin for the back. I had a Smart Cover for my iPad 2 and wasn't too impressed with it. I just didn't like having a hinge in the way and found I had it off more than on.

The thing I liked about the smart cover the most is the fact that when sitting on my couch I could take it off very easily. Being able to use the iPad with nothing on it, and having it at it's thinnest and lightest was awesome. Even when leaving the smart cover on the iPad felt bulkier, so being able to remove it whenever I wanted easily was great.

Can anyone recommend sleeve companies minus Timbuk2. I want to evaluate between permanent ons and sleeves.

I've been eying Switcheasy's ipad cases (mostly their Canvas one): http://switcheasy.com/store_cat.php?cat=iPad

If I were to get a smart cover, I do also like the idea of the Cover Buddy - basically a matching back piece to go with whatever smart cover you choose.

Since the new ipad is a little thicker, I'm waiting to see if they'll be compatible or if new versions are releasing.

FreeMufasa

Just got an email from Apple, my iPad won't arrive until the 20th now. I ordered as soon as the site started working on Wednesday night in the UK. Bummer.

Mine says the 16th still and I ordered yesterday. I've only recieved the Order Confirmation email though.

God I really hope it delivers then. I'm going to Japan on the 20th and i'll be leaving before any deliveries are made. It was going to be how I contacted people whilst there.

Top Bottom