• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

noah111

Still Alive
That seems kind of crazy that a twitter app becomes that much bigger when retina-ized.
Well the be fair the ENTIRE UI for tweetbot is highly customized and intricate rather than using the standard api/UI. Who knows how well they compress stuff versus Apple's UI assets.

But at the same time, I won't be at all surprised if we see more and more of this.

PS. When we sync a universal app to an iPhone, does it take up the space of the iPad resources along with it?

This could become a huge problem with 480x320 + 960x640 + 1024x768 + 2048x1536 resources being included in a synced app all at once, regardless of the device you're using.

I changed my order 16 gb wifi which i got on march 7th 5 pm to 32 gb wifi whcih i ordered at 12 pm on march 8th. is this the reason my information has not moved from processing to processing shipment yet?

Chris R

Still processing...

Thinking about heading down to my local Apple store sometime this weekend to check out all the different cases they have there in person to see if I can try to nail the one I want down. Too many options and companies to choose from :(

Still processing...

Thinking about heading down to my local Apple store sometime this weekend to check out all the different cases they have there in person to see if I can try to nail the one I want down. Too many options and companies to choose from :(

would they even have iPad 3 cases 1 week before launch?

DJ88

Here's a couple tips for anyone who is already looking for native retina display wallpapers for the new iPad.

For you DIY hands on guys:
Turns out an official resolution called QSXGA already exists that comes in at 2560x2048. So instead of searching for random image sizes you can refine your search to those exact dimensions to get a lot more results like this:

iM1DIK7hLoLNA.png

Search for whatever you're looking for and then just crop the extra width in an image editor to make a perfect 2048x2048 wallpaper for your new iPad.

For the rest of you, here's a site that's already gathering some nice 2048x2048 wallpapers for the new iPad.
http://interfacelift.com/wallpaper/downloads/date/apple/3rd_gen_ipad/index1.html

Anyone whose ever played Zelda: Link's Awakening DX will love this. Click the pic to see the big ass, full size image. I still can't believe this whole image will squeeze down to the size of the iPad screen and not lose one bit of detail.

PS. When we sync a universal app to an iPhone, does it take up the space of the iPad resources along with it?

This could become a huge problem with 480x320 + 960x640 + 1024x768 + 2048x1536 resources being included in a synced app all at once, regardless of the device you're using.
Yep, this could make previously content 16GB owners very unhappy if all their apps suddenly take up 2 to 3 times as much space as before. Those predicting an 8GB iPad were really off the mark since everything seems to be trending upward (even with iCloud).

noah111

Still Alive
Yep, this could make previously content 16GB owners very unhappy if all their apps suddenly take up 2 to 3 times as much space as before. Those predicting an 8GB iPad were really off the mark since everything seems to be trending upward (even with iCloud).
I disagree (with the latter part). They WILL find a way to be smart about it, since this is just bullshit. Tripling the size of each app on my iPhone 4 just because they have iPad 3 support (which say I don't own) is fucked up.

They will figure out a way to have it sync one of two options, iPad retina or iPhone retina, but not both; there's no need.

YES!! This is what I needed to see. Thank you. Black it is
That's three in a row now. :p

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Well the be fair the ENTIRE UI for tweetbot is highly customized and intricate rather than using the standard api/UI. Who knows how well they compress stuff versus Apple's UI assets.

But at the same time, I won't be at all surprised if we see more and more of this.

Universal apps should be able to selectively download the art assets after installation, based on the device its running on. Or download everything, but then throw away unneeded assets when first launched

I disagree (with the latter part). They WILL find a way to be smart about it, since this is just bullshit. Tripling the size of each app on my iPhone 4 just because they have iPad 3 support (which say I don't own) is fucked up.

They will figure out a way to have it sync one of two options, iPad retina or iPhone retina, but not both; there's no need.

That's three in a row now. :p
It might be the end of universal apps if Apple doesn't intervene. And I don't think they will.

Some apps had an interesting model to stay under the (now increased) 20MB 3G limit - Retina assets as IAP. This might be another option.

soldat7

Eh. 16GB should be plenty for me. I stream and read and play games. If you need to upgrade, you can always take it in to an Apple store and do an exchange (within the 14 days, I believe.)

Here's a couple tips for anyone who is already looking for native retina display wallpapers for the new iPad.

For you DIY hands on guys:
Turns out an official resolution called QSXGA already exists that comes in at 2560x2048. So instead of searching for random image sizes you can refine your search to those exact dimensions to get a lot more results like this:

iM1DIK7hLoLNA.png

Search for whatever you're looking for and then just crop the extra width in an image editor to make a perfect 2048x2048 wallpaper for your new iPad.

For the rest of you, here's a site that's already gathering some nice 2048x2048 wallpapers for the new iPad.
http://interfacelift.com/wallpaper/downloads/date/apple/3rd_gen_ipad/index1.html

Anyone whose ever played Zelda: Link's Awakening DX will love this. Click the pic to see the big ass, full size image. I still can't believe this whole image will squeeze down to the size of the iPad screen and not lose one bit of detail.

Holy shit that's awesome! Thanks

Eh. 16GB should be plenty for me. I stream and read and play games. If you need to upgrade, you can always take it in to an Apple store and do an exchange (within the 14 days, I believe.)

I had 16 but i cancelled it for 32 . why?

because

1. Lots of PDF files, finally a screen with clear text
2. Image editing on that screen will result in big sized images
3. Apps themselves will take up more space. my iPhone 16 gb is already at 13 with no music/video/pdf files

noah111

Still Alive
Universal apps should be able to selectively download the art assets after installation, based on the device its running on. Or download everything, but then throw away unneeded assets when first launched
It's really simple, when you download a universal app on iTunes, it DL's everything, obviously, and stores it. But when you SYNC it to the said device, it will only sync iPhone content if on an iPhone, and vice versa.

If you DL the app on your phone though, then there's no way around that, it will stay bloated until you sync with iTunes, where it will re-sync the streamlined app after sending the full universal package into iTunes.

This is how it should be done.

It might be the end of universal apps if Apple doesn't intervene. And I don't think they will.
I wouldn't go that far. Not enough people care about the size increase to even notice the root causes of it, so the developers won't either, and thus Apple might just leave it be, too. I hope not, though.

noah111

Still Alive
Gary you think it's worth an egg to predict minimum iPad sku next year will be 32gb?
If this app size deal doesn't get sorted out, yes. If it does, though, I can see the 'premium' iPad going that route, but there will still be 16GB and maybe even 8GB iPad 'minis' or whatever the low-end becomes.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Oh shizzle...the pre-order window is shifting:

ipad_3_mar_19_us.jpg

Flo_Evans

I don't see them ever going 8GB at this point.

Memory just gets cheaper and cheaper, they can still charge $500 for 16GB and they fly off the shelves.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

I expect 480x320 support for new apps will be dropped around the time the next iPhone model comes out, and 960x640 will probably be enabled on the iPad (maybe iPad 2 or 3 only?)

noah111

Still Alive
I don't see them ever going 8GB at this point.

Memory just gets cheaper and cheaper, they can still charge $500 for 16GB and they fly off the shelves.
Right, but can they charge $399 or $299 with that same storage capacity? I think the point is they'll keep making the entry point cheaper (as we've seen in the way they retained the iPad 2 16GB for $399).

The tablet market may not look good right now after this announcement, but I guarantee you more hitters will come out with cheap and affordable prices that a lot of the market dives for.

The cheaper they get, the more "unbeatable" the iPad becomes in the tablet market.

I expect 480x320 support for new apps will be dropped around the time the next iPhone model comes out, and 960x640 will probably be enabled on the iPad (maybe iPad 2 or 3 only?)
Good point, there's practically no retina devices anymore. But ditching that doesn't really do anything to lessen the weight of apps. :p The universal bloat will still be an issue for the near future.

Here is a nice difference

ItSGX.jpg

HO72F.jpg

q79qM.jpg

gCPOI.jpg

Still going with white. Getting a white iphone5 later this year. Keep my Apple white and the rest of my devices black. In person and at night, I'm sure the screen won't be absolute black so having a black border will actually be worse. The white is make the black seem blacker. Welcome to video land suckers!

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
My initial order has been shipped but I'm thinking about buying my fiancée an additional iPad as a wedding present so she can use it on the honeymoon and so I won't have to share mine. If I order today, do you think it would get here by 3/27?

Still going with white. Getting a white iphone5 later this year. Keep my Apple white and the rest of my devices black. In person and at night, I'm sure the screen won't be absolute black so having a black border will actually be worse. The white is make the black seem blacker. Welcome to video land suckers!

does this mean you will only enjoy it when its off?

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
367N9.gif

LOL

Sticking with my 16GB. Even now, with everything I want on there (and still some filler) I have about 3GB free.

I don't keep any/many pictures on the device itself, as I use Flickr. I did for a short time keep PDFs when I was taking classes. But, even something like Dropbox has solved that problem especially as the PDF editor programs have direct interfaces to the cloud.

I say this, but, it could be likely this is my last 16GB device. Guess I'll see how it plays out. Worst scenario is I only keep 30 games on there instead of 60.

Top Bottom