• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

cnizzle06

Banned
I did. I travel a lot for work. I'm going to buy the 50 dollar 5gb verizon plan plus it can be used as a hotspot for my vita or whatever else for free. 50 dollars is steep but my company pays for my iPhone and the plan so it's no big deal since it's not like I have to pay for a phone data plan as well.

Whelp, now I'm even more undecided.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Ship you fucker!

22a387f2.jpg

Presco

How many of you guys bought a 4G version? I feel like I should take advantage of that feature but the price hike is making me reluctant.

I initially ordered the 32GB wifi but decided to cancel and change to the 32GB 4G version. Only reason is to have an unlocked data capable device when I'm outside of Canada. I'll be travelling to both the US and Europe this year and will need internet access. My iPhone 4 is locked to Rogers and there's no way I'm paying for their terrible international data packages.

Az

I do have to admit it was hard transferring $800 to savings yesterday instead of buying this thing.
/firstworldproblems

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
People need to calm down about the status of their orders. Everyone is getting theirs on the same day. It is going to be ok.

Talon

People need to calm down about the status of their orders. Everyone is getting theirs on the same day. It is going to be ok.
It'll just give way to everybody furiously refreshing FedEx tracking.

Even though they'll definitely only start delivering on the 16th.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Im surprised the number of people that own smart phones who are getting the 3G/LTE iPads. I've always only ever gotten the wifi versions because my iPhone is ALWAYS on me. On trips I just tether my iPad to it. Is there a reason you guys don't do the same?

RubxQub

FUCK THAT SHIT! THIS IS ARMAGEDDON TIMES! I REFUSE TO BE GO QUIETLY OR SLEEP SOUNDLY WHILE MY SWEET SWEET PAD OF GLORY JUST SITS IN A WAREHOUSE....ALL ALONE...JUST CRYING...BEGGING FOR MY SWEET EMBRACE!

I'LL GET YOU HOME, BABY! DADDY'S GONNA MAKE IT OK!

*sniffle*

...daddy's gonna make it ok...

NYR

Dis be da truth.

Im surprised the number of people that own smart phones who are getting the 3G/LTE iPads. I've always only ever gotten the wifi versions because my iPhone is ALWAYS on me. On trips I just tether my iPad to it. Is there a reason you guys don't do the same?
I do the exact same thing.

Most people justify it saying they never have their phone with them all the time. I think that is hogwash and a poor reason...ifyou have room or space to carry an ipad, you have room to carry a phone.

I sold my iPad 2 a week before the announcement because I thought I'd put that money towards my new car.

Now I kinda want one again but mainly because I am way pumped for Infinity Blade Dungeons.

I am a special kind of idiot.

MercuryLS

Banned

I have a cheap phone plan that doesn't do tethering. And besides, when I did have an iPhone plan, tethering was annoying. I'd rather just turn on the iPad and have it work instead of having to enable tethering and connect up. Also there's the issue of using up battery life on your iPhone, and currently iPhone only supports 3G which isn't so hot in comparison to iPad's 4G. There's plenty of reasons why people would want a 4G iPad.

I find this stressing out about 'processing shipment' fucking hilarious. You'll get it, chill out. Worst come to worse you'll get it a day or a few days later, it's not the end of the world.

I find this stressing out about 'processing shipment' fucking hilarious. You'll get it, chill out. Worst come to worse you'll get it a day or a few days later, it's not the end of the world.

Again, you don't understand. We're freaking out about it because it adds to the fun and excitement of getting a new, and expensive, consumer electronic device.

I find the people entering this thread to ruin our fun fucking hilarious. It's never going to work. Pleb.

Stopped by the Apple store last night to look at iPad 2s...frankly the screen looked pretty good to me. Hopefully I'll be able to compare the two in person next week.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Stopped by the Apple store last night to look at iPad 2s...frankly the screen looked pretty good to me. Hopefully I'll be able to compare the two in person next week.

the iPad 2 screen always looked good to me until I started reading books on it, then it just felt "blah".

I ended up buying an iPad 2 today for CAD$419. As impressed as I was with the new iPad, I don't think it was a big enough update for me.

A MASSIVELY improved screen, faster cpu, much more powerful GPU, much better camera, 1080P recording, etc isn't worth $100? Eh, ok. I can understand why someone with an iPad2 might not feel the need to jump on it, but if you don't have an iPad yet I think it's a no-brainer. For something that will get that much use, the improvements are well worth the difference.

.GqueB.

Banned
Depends how much of a tech lover you are.

iPad 3 is ways ahead but the iPad 2 is perfectly capable and will be enough for 80% of people.

Yea not much of a tech head at all. I mostly want the ipad for those odd moments when I'm eating at a diner and I wanna browse gaf or whatever else. Phone screen is too small for that. I already have a kindle for reading and whenever I see someone using that function on the ipad I find it draws too much attention.

It's one of those things I want "just because", Lol.

Again, you don't understand. We're freaking out about it because it adds to the fun and excitement of getting a new, and expensive, consumer electronic device.

I find the people entering this thread to ruin our fun fucking hilarious. It's never going to work. Pleb.

I don't know, for me, walking into an Apple store an buying one is infinitely more 'fun' (as you call it) about freaking out and constantly refreshing shipping status. But ok.

I don't know, for me, walking into an Apple store an buying one is infinitely more 'fun' (as you call it) about freaking out and constantly refreshing shipping status. But ok.

Right, because you'll just be able to walk in? You'd most likely need to wait in line, which isn't fun at all. But to each his own. I think this thread is testament enough that there are plenty of people who enjoy refreshing the tracking status, hoping to see a change of location as to where their iPad is. Either way, you're coming in here trying to spoil the enjoyment some of us are getting out of that, and it isn't going to work. Nope.

MercuryLS

Banned
the iPad 2 screen always looked good to me until I started reading books on it, then it just felt "blah".

Same for me, magazines are even worse, constantly have to zoom in. iPhone 3GS's screen looked good too until iPhone 4 came out. I think some people are underestimating how brilliant this new screen is going to be, it's really going to make a difference.

RubxQub

What if everyone else gets theirs and I don't get mine?! I'm going to have to read about everyone opening up their shiny new toys and I'm going to be home all alone with tears streaming down my cheeks and slash marks up and down my arms (high enough so they're covered by a t-shirt, however).

iPad release day isn't just some other day. It's the best day. It's the day of all days. I'm going to open up that gorgeous white box and just snuggle with it for awhile before I turn it on.

I may even require a little personal time to "relieve some stress" before I can gather myself to actually use it. If you know what I mean.

Please don't tell me how to live my life. For every Apple fan out there, this is like receiving a little piece of Steve Jobs in the mail, and for us it's special. I'm speaking for ALL Apple fans. Don't let them downplay my comments. In our special #AppleIsTheShiz IRC room we hold cyber-hands and sit around the cyber-fire and sing cyber-songs of joy and play sweet games like telephone.

I don't know why I'm telling you all of this...

Mideon

Opinion at my work place is that 'it looks exactly the same as the ipad 2' and 'the comparison images on the official website make the ipad 2 look worse than it actually is'

Suffice to say they will shut there dumb ass mouths when i take my new iPad in next Friday.

3N16MA

Banned
What if everyone else gets theirs and I don't get mine?! I'm going to have to read about everyone opening up their shiny new toys and I'm going to be home all alone with tears streaming down my cheeks and slash marks up and down my arms (high enough so they're covered by a t-shirt, however).

iPad release day isn't just some other day. It's the best day. It's the day of all days. I'm going to open up that gorgeous white box and just snuggle with it for awhile before I turn it on.

I may even require a little personal time to "relieve some stress" before I can gather myself to actually use it. If you know what I mean.

Please don't tell me how to live my life. For every Apple fan out there, this is like receiving a little piece of Steve Jobs in the mail, and for us it's special. I'm speaking for ALL Apple fans. Don't let them downplay my comments. In our special #AppleIsTheShiz IRC room we hold cyber-hands and sit around the cyber-fire and sing cyber-songs of joy and play sweet games like telephone.

I don't know why I'm telling you all of this...

Don't reveal our secrets!

It was your condescending tone that made me reply in the first place making it sound like people who would like to be able to use usb media as out of touch or backwards and unaware of advances in technology.
Cloud computing as it stands is a potentially expensive and unreliable solution to the issue of file transfer outside of a home network, it has advantages but a lot of disadvantages as well which won't be overcome while we are paying $10 a GB for data.
You can argue its not worthy of discussion because it was never and never will be a possibility but it is a reasonable things to lament.

You don't even need an internet connection. Most devices can create their own network and transfer things wirelessly. The iPad has a ton of apps hat can do this (ie. goodreader, etc). Still a much better solution than usb sticks. And yes, they are out of touch and backwards if they are lamenting lack of usb ports on an iPad. It will never happen, and it shouldn't. It's a backwards paradigm.

damn it!!!

mine is still in Processing

Processing Items:
We are processing your order now. You can modify your order details through online Order Status, or by contacting Apple Online Store Customer Service.

vehn

Any reason you don't want to preorder from Apple?

There is a Best Buy 5 minutes away from me (as opposed to Apple Store 30 minutes away), and I'll be at work that day and UPS sometimes leaves packages right outside my apartment door. Too risky for the $650 or so!

taoofjord

I'm not sure I understand the way these data plans work. There's 1GB, 3GB, and 5GB plans... but aren't these extremely low? Wouldn't the average user who watches shows on netflix and games go through this in a couple days? Surely I'm missing something here... perhaps they calculate the data differently?

Talon

I'm not sure I understand the way these data plans work. There's 1GB, 3GB, and 5GB plans... but aren't these extremely low? Wouldn't the average user who watches shows on netflix and games go through this in a couple days? Surely I'm missing something here... perhaps they calculate the data differently?
It's not like you're expecting to wholly subsist on these plans. You'll be on Wifi a majority of the time. It helps when you're on the road or doing work elsewhere.

soldat7

I already have an iPad 2. It's just shy of a single year old. I really shouldn't be as excited as I am for the new iPad...Apple, you dirty rats.

taoofjord

It's not like you're expecting to wholly subsist on these plans. You'll be on Wifi a majority of the time. It helps when you're on the road or doing work elsewhere.

It just seems so low, though. And so pricey for it. That said, I have a feeling that I don't go through as much data as I think I do.

Top Bottom