• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Ambitious

Meh, I can't decide which color I should get. Doesn't matter anyway, if I get the black one I'm gonna regret not getting the white one and vice versa.

Well, congrats, GAF. You just had me order a 32 to replace the 16 that's coming on Friday. Guess that decision is gonna cost me a week of salivating over this thread. :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
You can't simulate a retina display on your crappy computer monitor unless you use the loupe. That's the point.

I guess this concept is pretty difficult.

Its like QVC trying to sell you a HDTV. 'look at this amazing picture'. Er, you're broadcasting through shittily compressed SD video, all we have is your word.

ok...

I don't think you get it.

You still need to use the loupe on that text.

No, I actually get very much how distance + resolution affects text clarity.

Why are you being so unnecessarily adversarial over unimportant things to so many people in a thread where most of us are being excited for something? It's awkward.

What was the giveaway that I'm being so adversarial? All the links to videos from the weeks events that I posted? Information about cases available for the new iPad that I linked to when someone asked for them? My responses to your childish posts aren't adversarial. Just matching your tone. And it started when you disliked my opinion of iOS. I think iOS is weak shit. You somehow interpret that as me hating on Apple. Nothing's further from the truth.

And it started when you disliked my opinion of iOS. I think iOS is weak shit. You somehow interpret that as me hating on Apple. Nothing's further from the truth.
I never did this. I was laughing because you said a wrong thing, not because of anything having to do with opinions on the state of iOS.

So many things are going over your head, and you're angry.

soldat7

Just put this baby (in black) on pre-order to go with my new Black 64GB iPad:
Portenzo_white_iPad_2_case_details_2.jpg

Portenzo_white_iPad_2_case_details_1.jpg

Question about this case (Portenzo). How hard is it to get the iPad out? Is it a press/friction fit? Will it scratch the iPad?

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
"That's so rich" in reaction to *my* opinion of iOS rather than posting your own opinion like an adult was the giveaway that you're not a person worth having a discussion with. I apologize to the rest of the folks here that I've in part subjected to this idiotic line of discussion.

Damn things have really taken a turn in here.

After looking around I like the look of the yoobao cases so am veering towards one of those once they amend them.

Any views on them be it postive or negative?

question about the wifi model

will it handle wifi speeds up to 100mb per second?

same question goes to a macbook air/pro, will those machines handle 100mb wifi speeds ?

"That's so rich" in reaction to *my* opinion of iOS rather than posting your own opinion like an adult was the giveaway that you're not a person worth having a discussion with. I apologize to the rest of the folks here that I've in part subjected to this idiotic line of discussion.
"That's so rich" was in reaction to you saying iOS is dead simple when you didn't know about a feature that already exists. It's irony. It was funny. Now it's a big bummer because you are mad at the world. Chill out.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Refrigerator's alt?

Anyone else tired of the "what is actually retina?" argument?

Anywho, Friday needs to get here ASAP.

ooh, I know. Lets work out how far you'd have to stand from a 1080p HDTV to simulate retina! That'll be fun.

edit: I *think* its about 62", or just over 5ft for a 42" 1080p HDTV. Yes I was bored

Cheebo

Banned
Question about this case (Portenzo). How hard is it to get the iPad out? Is it a press/friction fit? Will it scratch the iPad?

Based on my usage of it with iPad 2 it never scratched it at all (the parts where it actually touch the case have rubber padding) and it is pretty easy to grab it and pull it out by gripping it at the little hole by the dock connecter, it won't happen on accident thankfully though. You can shake it upside down over and over and the thing won't budge.

question about the wifi model

will it handle wifi speeds up to 100mb per second?

same question goes to a macbook air/pro, will those machines handle 100mb wifi speeds ?

My air supports 802.11n speeds. My iPad 1 maxed out at 39. I don't have a 2 (or a 'new') so I can't say.

soldat7

Based on my usage of it with iPad 2 it never scratched it at all (the parts where it actually touch the case have rubber padding) and it is pretty easy to grab it and pull it out by gripping it at the little hole by the dock connecter, it won't happen on accident thankfully though. You can shake it upside down over and over and the thing won't budge.

Thanks. They claim that the sound is improved with the iPad docked. Is that true? And is this thing heavy? I'm a bit worried about the overall weight but would likely continue using my iPad naked unless I'm at work or school, so it needs to be easy to remove frequently.

Thanks. They claim that the sound is improved with the iPad docked. Is that true? And is this thing heavy? I'm a bit worried about the overall weight but would likely continue using my iPad naked unless I'm at work or school, so it needs to be easy to remove frequently.

About 200 grams.

Einbroch

Banned
My 16GB iPad 2 never got close to full capacity, hell I think it only broke half once. The ability to perform smple maintenance (and not being a comic book reader) means I won't ever need more than 16GB.

Rubenov

When I first heard about retina technology, I thought it had something to do with using your eyes' retina to activate the display or something. True story :(

My 16GB iPad 2 never got close to full capacity, hell I think it only broke half once. The ability to perform smple maintenance (and not being a comic book reader) means I won't ever need more than 16GB.

I assume you dont have kids. My 32 was full of my content (6 gigs of music, 3 gigs of photos, couple gigs of apps, books etc) and the rest was full of TV shows and movies for my daughter. If you don't intend to use the iPad for video content or pictures, you could probably easily get away with 16 gig. I agree with others that think Apple should move on to 32 being the base model though.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
How about we not shit on the Vita and instead talk about how awesome the iPad is?

I own a Vita and will own an iPad. I will game on both.
Seriously.
I have a Vita too, and I'm heading down to pick up an iPad 3 sorry, 'new iPad' for me and the bf this Friday.

Shame to see the handheld-console cycle continue - ie. people buy into the hype then realise they didn't want it at all (or just not patient enough to wait for more games?) a few weeks later. It ticks so many boxes of what I wanted in a handheld - it's disheartening to see people shit on it when the 3DS had such a rocky start too and ended up awesome. You'd think we'd learn :p E3 will shed some light on its future, which I hope is good. I've been glued to Motorstorm RC and Stardust for days.

Anyway - super hyped about the new iPad. My iPad 1 has just become too sluggish and it's time.

dkeane

So are there any cases specifically for the new iPad besides Apple? How long will it take manufacturers to update there products for it?

So are there any cases specifically for the new iPad besides Apple? How long will it take manufacturers to update there products for it?

Go to Amazon and type in a search on 'iPad case'. The manufacturers whose cases aren't affected by the slight bump in thickness list their cases as ipad2 and new ipad compatible. Well, the smart ones have.

To be honest, I'm surprised no one has killed another poster with internet-pitchforks or at the very least performed account suicide on themselves. Everyone is just ready for Friday. Try not to kill the GAF family until then and keep your sanity.

The more I shop around the more I want to go naked.
The smart cover which did not interest me looks pretty good now that I've seen how thin it is. How is the smart cover protection wise? Is it enough to throw in a bag where it would move around a bit? I heard reports of "bleeding" from the smart covers, is that for the leather ones only?

How does the Ipad2 handle streaming sites such as twitch? I see the app is free but can it run 720p for extended periods without exploding?
Does it run hot while watching netflix? My macbook battery actually started expanding after a year. I had to remove it because it was interfering with the mouse buttons.

So excited, this being my first.

Cheebo

Banned
The smart cover which did not interest me looks pretty good now that I've seen how thin it is. How is the smart cover protection wise? Is it enough to throw in a bag where it would move around a bit? I heard reports of "bleeding" from the smart covers, is that for the leather ones only?

How does the Ipad2 handle streaming sites such as twitch? I see the app is free but can it run 720p for extended periods without exploding?
Does it run hot while watching netflix? My macbook battery actually started expanding after a year. I had to remove it because it was interfering with the mouse buttons.

iPad never gets hot. No matter if you have tons of apps open or how intensive the software is you are running.

Going naked with the iPad feels so good. It just feels good in the hands. I traveled with my iPad 2 and the smart cover worked just fine for me. The back of the iPad is actually pretty durable. It's not like the iPod touch backing that scratches when you breath on it. As for the bleeding, I've only heard that about the leather ones.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
To be honest, I'm surprised no one has killed another poster with internet-pitchforks or at the very least performed account suicide on themselves. Everyone is just ready for Friday. Try not to kill the GAF family until then and keep your sanity.
I can't resist the urge to rile the angry nerds up on the Gaming side :(

NekoFever

I'm just using the neoprene slipcase that I used for my original iPad for my new one. That way it's protected if I want to throw it in a bag or something but there's nothing to make it bulky when holding it.

The Smart Cover is inadequate protection in a bag unless you get some kind of rear shell (or if you're not bothered about minor rear scratches). I used the Nuu BaseCase, which was ideal. Snaps very tightly to the rear, so not a cover you want to be taking off regularly. It stayed on mine until I sold it. The 'white' version I chose was quite subtle, almost invisible from far. The Smart Cover works perfectly with it.

It looks like they're listing a BaseCase for the new iPad on their site, so I guess that answers my question too, about whether I could get away with using my iPad 2 shell, but I suppose it's just too rigid and tightly modelled, and isn't gonna stretch that extra 0.6mm.

Going naked with the iPad feels so good. It just feels good in the hands.
I'll have to disagree there, I didn't ever enjoy holding the back of the device. It felt too cold, and I guess my sweaty hands weren't ever comfortable - didn't have enough grip. The Nuu case totally fixed this. The plastic was less cold to the touch, and Nuu gave it a slightly rubberised finish that was much more grippy. I had much more confidence holding it in one hand after fitting it.

tokkun

The smart cover which did not interest me looks pretty good now that I've seen how thin it is. How is the smart cover protection wise? Is it enough to throw in a bag where it would move around a bit?

I really doubt any screen protection against scratching is necessary. I have a few devices that use Gorilla Glass, and have never scratched any of them even with fairly rough treatment.

It's possible to shatter (at least I seem to see plenty of people with huge cracks in their iPhone screens). Just don't drop it face down on a hard surface and you're probably fine.

iPad never gets hot. No matter if you have tons of apps open or how intensive the software is you are running.

Thats crazy!! Even HD video and the streaming sites?! How is that possible?

Going naked with the iPad feels so good. It just feels good in the hands. I traveled with my iPad 2 and the smart cover worked just fine for me. The back of the iPad is actually pretty durable. It's not like the iPod touch backing that scratches when you breath on it. As for the bleeding, I've only heard that about the leather ones.

I know! I got a black 32 wifi and that back looks good it should be a sin to cover it up.

The Smart Cover is inadequate protection in a bag unless you get some kind of rear shell (or if you're not bothered about minor rear scratches). .

Guess Its minor scratches then.

Top Bottom