• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Thats crazy!! Even HD video and the streaming sites?! How is that possible?
The iPad is known for its insulative properties. One is able to stream an HD youtube clip while maintaining a perfectly frozen ice cube on the display surface for several hours. This might've changed had Apple upgraded to a true Retina-class device for the new iPad, but ~250PPI in this high-resolution display should counter the heat just as much as the previous display.

I think the part that finally moved me to the 32 was remembering those times when a big app needed an update and I didn't have the space to do it. With the new bigger apps that I think will come out over the next few years, that scenario will play our more. And the dance of either keeping a gig or so free on the device just for updating or deleting to update is what moved me from 16 to 32.

Not to say that exact scenario can't happen with a 32. But, with a 16, you're already running low.

The iPad is known for its insulative properties. One is able to stream an HD youtube clip while maintaining a perfectly frozen ice cube on the display surface for several hours. This might've changed had Apple upgraded to a true Retina-class device for the new iPad, but ~250PPI in this high-resolution display should counter the heat just as much as the previous display.

Amazing.

No Flash. The fans on my Macbook Air go nuts on any streaming site utilizing Flash. Go to a stream that uses something more efficient and the fans never go off. There's a good reason so many people despise Flash on mobile devices (and non-mobile).

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I think the part that finally moved me to the 32 was remembering those times when a big app needed an update and I didn't have the space to do it. With the new bigger apps that I think will come out over the next few years, that scenario will play our more. And the dance of either keeping a gig or so free on the device just for updating or deleting to update is what moved me from 16 to 32.

Not to say that exact scenario can't happen with a 32. But, with a 16, you're already running low.

Eh, as long as the updated Carcassonne app is less than 14gb, I am good to go.

I've had my iPad 2 get warm before. Happens particularly if I'm doing something intensive (like gaming) while charging it at the same time. I wonder if these denser batteries will get a little warmer...

I've had my iPad 2 get warm before. Happens particularly if I'm doing something intensive (like gaming) while charging it at the same time. I wonder if these denser batteries will get a little warmer...

I think the key there is charging at the same time. My Vita never gets hot when gaming, but if I plug in the charger while I'm gaming I can feel the heat on the back. Never tried it with an iPad before though. Sounds like its similar.

If you use one of the flash enabled browsers on iPad it still doesn't get hot.

Fortunately with the popularity of the iPad I find myself not needing flash much at all anymore. The vast majority of sites I now visit support the iPad. The benefits of being the most popular.

Just got my notice from Apple that my 32gig White-fi shipped. Apple says arriving on the 16th, Fedex says 14th. I hope Fedex is right. With my iPhone 4 Apple was wrong and Fedex was right.

Cheebo

Banned
Fortunately with the popularity of the iPad I find myself not needing flash much at all anymore. The vast majority of sites I now visit support the iPad. The benefits of being the most popular.

Just got my notice from Apple that my 32gig White-fi shipped. Apple says arriving on the 16th, Fedex says 14th. I hope Fedex is right. With my iPhone 4 Apple was wrong and Fedex was right.

Oh yeah I agree completely, I am just saying the fact it doesn't get hot isn't because of a lack of flash. Even flash doesn't get it hot.

man I am itching to get an ipad but it has to be in a few weeks once I get the funds, so close...

Is there a browser app worth downloading or stick with the default ipad browser? I don't mind the default on an touch but it is lacking a few things here and there.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
man I am itching to get an ipad but it has to be in a few weeks once I get the funds, so close...

Is there a browser app worth downloading or stick with the default ipad browser? I don't mind the default on an touch but it is lacking a few things here and there.

I use Atomic Browser. I forget why I changed, but I got used to it and can't use Safari now.

Jimrpg

I assume you dont have kids. My 32 was full of my content (6 gigs of music, 3 gigs of photos, couple gigs of apps, books etc) and the rest was full of TV shows and movies for my daughter. If you don't intend to use the iPad for video content or pictures, you could probably easily get away with 16 gig. I agree with others that think Apple should move on to 32 being the base model though.

i went 16gb for the iPad 2 and probably should have gone at least 32gb. If you like to download apps/games the app size can get upwards 200MB+ and i easily filled it in a couple of months especially if you like appshopper and like to download free stuff to try out... if you just like to browse the web and use Facebook 16gb will probably suffice.

Blackhead

Redarse
Oh yeah I agree completely, I am just saying the fact it doesn't get hot isn't because of a lack of flash. Even flash doesn't get it hot.

To be pendatic: there are no 'flash enabled' browsers for the iPad. Otoh, android devices run flash without getting hot so maybe the whole flash thing is a peculiar Mac affair.

What's amazing is that people like you keep fucking quoting him. I have him on ignore for a reason. It's rare to see more blatant trolling, yet he keeps on truckin.

Yeah, I wouldn't take it that seriously. Sorry for quoting someone once.

I'm currently debating getting rid of my macbook to get an ipad/imac combo. Not sure if 16 gigs will suffice, I'm already nearing that on my 32gb phone. However, I don't mind managing the device and the phone (+ the cloud) can hold some of the stuff to keep room on the ipad.

Not really scared by that article previously posted, but it's still nice not having to worry for available space.

after spending the last hour watching youtubes about airplay from an ipad or 4s, looks like i'm going to get myself an apple tv too, lol

Man, at this rate the only console games i'm buying are 'AAA' titles since the rest of my gaming time is on my ipod touch and such.

I wonder how long it's going to take apps upgrade to retina on the iPad, and the sizes of the retina iPad games are going to be something else

Cheebo

Banned
I wonder how long it's going to take apps upgrade to retina on the iPad, and the sizes of the retina iPad games are going to be something else

I've noticed some of my third party apps already put in retina updates, I hope it moves a lot quicker than iPhone 4.

It could take some time for apps to get the high-res assets into their programs, but I'm worried we might get some programmers who'll make the upgrade a new purchase. At least they don't have to make actual 330ppi assets and can stick to a smaller number, which makes the conversion a bit easier and lighter in file sizes.

I'm curious how web pages will look scaled up to the high-res display. The text will be sharp, but a lot of the graphics will be smoothed out when upsized, and some of the CSS tricks that designers have been using to mask shapes through background images could break badly without that pixel precision.

Tobor

If the 4 is any indication, too long. The new iPad is going to have some growing pains I think.

I think it will be faster, overall. Devs already have experience with a retina transition, and everyyybbbboooddddyyyy knew 2048x1536 was coming. Several devs have commented that they had planned well in advance for this.

That said, I'm sure it will take Square Enix and Popcap a solid year to get up to speed. Lol.

Hai guys...is my monitor a retina display? (the second most annoying marketing term ever)

It's a 21" 3360x2100 monitor.

Jokes aside, I might actually wait until the next iPad is released and skip The iPad, since I have an iPad 2 (oh god that'll be fun to explain to people. iPad 1, iPad 2, The iPad)

Hai guys...is my monitor a retina display? (the second most annoying marketing term ever)

It's a 21" 3360x2100 monitor.

Jokes aside, I might actually wait until the next iPad is released and skip The iPad, since I have an iPad 2 (oh god that'll be fun to explain to people. iPad 1, iPad 2, The iPad)

The next iPad is called "the new iPad 2"

The best I'd hope for is a This point forward level of support. Most games are so small and get abandoned they aren't going to revamp the graphics unless the game is still relatively popular.

If the 4 is any indication, too long. The new iPad is going to have some growing pains I think.

If I recall correctly, I had maybe 4-5 updates this week (one or two of which being iBooks and Remote) that accounted for iPad retina display so maybe a few developers are in fact getting a jump on it.

Chris R

Still can't decide if my decision to go with white was the best thing. I should be able to walk into an Apple store next Friday and swap it out for a black one if I want right?

LCfiner

Ahh, good news. I have an extra charger and I don't want to replace it, obviously.

well, you’d probably still be able to use an old one even if they changed it. I’ve charged an ipad with the iPhone adapter a few times. just takes a bit longer.

mj1108

Still can't decide if my decision to go with white was the best thing. I should be able to walk into an Apple store next Friday and swap it out for a black one if I want right?

I wasn't sure about my white iPad 2 when I got it (it was the only color left at the time), but I have grown to love it so much I ordered a white New iPad.

Top Bottom