• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I wasn't sure about my white iPad 2 when I got it (it was the only color left at the time), but I have grown to love it so much I ordered a white New iPad.

Ditto. All the logic in the world about black level visual trickery will never convince me that black is more pleasing.

The white just exudes premium to me. It looks sharp. It also makes it distinctly an iPad.

Tobor

well, you’d probably still be able to use an old one even if they changed it. I’ve charged an ipad with the iPhone adapter a few times. just takes a bit longer.

True. The extra charger is the one I use bed side, so it's charging overnight while I sleep anyway.

visuals question: will the ipad 3 render retinapad obsolete? or will we need an even better version to upscale the apps? my mind isnt thinking through the options well enough. those un-retina games are going to look like shit arent they?

zychi

Banned
Any idea what time of day they will sell it on Friday? 5pm like the iPad 2 or when the store opens like everything else?

i'd like to know this as well. i'm either going to work late, or leaving work early to get one. i'm going to attempt best buy in the morning i think.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I use my iPad in bed, in the dark, a lot. I know it's not good for me, but the black iPad is amazing in that situation. It becomes a floating glowing rectangle in the dark. White doesn't provide this absolutely essential and endlessly novel experience.

So I am pretty sure I've convinced myself to upgrade to a 32GB model from the 16 I have pre-ordered. I also now think Apple TV is something I am going to seriously consider getting.

Anybody here have one/have criticisms/comments about it?

LCfiner

So I am pretty sure I've convinced myself to upgrade to a 32GB model from the 16 I have pre-ordered. I also now think Apple TV is something I am going to seriously consider getting.

Anybody here have one/have criticisms/comments about it?

The airplay mirroring with the Apple TV is really great and works as advertised. it’s a solid reason to own one if you already have an iPad/ iPhone.

The Apple TV is not as versatile a streaming box as, say, the PS3 or 360 with support for all sorts of video file types and shared PC folders. Anyone who wants easy streaming of avi and mkv videos should look at another solution (although an ATV can be hacked, I think it’s better to get devices that support features you want natively)

I think the Apple TV is worth it for the movie rental selection/ tv show selection (best in canada), the airplay features, and the easy access for netflix, MLB, NHL, etc apps.

I think it’s an easy recommendation for 100 bucks (or 110 CAD)

partime

I remember calling the 4 apple stores in my area day after day asking if they had ANY ipad 2's in. I'm glad I didn't go through that again.

black 32GB shipped!

giga

WbWZu.png

Buy AAPL.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
surely the people that desperate would have managed to get in already. It isn't like they didn't have a relatively long time.

zychi

Banned
surely the people that desperate would have managed to get in already. It isn't like they didn't have a relatively long time.

i'm desperate(check isnt going to clear from work til tomorrow), i wouldn't pay scalpers. but i'm going to use one of those inventory sites to try and find one. it worked on the ipad1 and best buy. so i'm hoping to get one before the 26th when i go on vacation. if not, i'll prolly just wait til the new laptops come out and skip the ipad3 entirely.

MercuryLS

Banned

Brown people stop embarrassing me.

How were the people who are waiting 1+ week for the new iPad not able to buy one online on the first day?

it just doesn't even make sense

I think that some people just love the spectacle of in-store launch days. I personally love to stay home on the day that the iPad is supposed to delivered in my PJ's and play with it on the can as it syncs with iCloud. That's the motherf'n ticket.

The airplay mirroring with the Apple TV is really great and works as advertised. it’s a solid reason to own one if you already have an iPad/ iPhone.

The Apple TV is not as versatile a streaming box as, say, the PS3 or 360 with support for all sorts of video file types and shared PC folders. Anyone who wants easy streaming of avi and mkv videos should look at another solution (although an ATV can be hacked, I think it’s better to get devices that support features you want natively)

I think the Apple TV is worth it for the movie rental selection/ tv show selection (best in canada), the airplay features, and the easy access for netflix, MLB, NHL, etc apps.

I think it’s an easy recommendation for 100 bucks (or 110 CAD)

If you have an iOS device it's just as good as PS3 or Xbox. If anything it may be better since xbox and ps3 interface sucks for browsing folders ect.

Stream2me app is amazing, live conversion and I use my iPad as a giant remote. I play any video file. AirPlay makes the Apple TV very powerful.

LCfiner

If you have an iOS device it's just as good as PS3 or Xbox. If anything it may be better since xbox and ps3 interface sucks for browsing folders ect.

Stream2me app is amazing, live conversion and I use my iPad as a giant remote. I play any video file. AirPlay makes the Apple TV very powerful.

you know what. this is a good point that I hadn’t thought about.

the video may be going through an extra device compared to PC > console but the interface on Stream2me, Airvideo plus the airplay feature is so dead simple that it’s just about as hassle free to use.

... I need to try this out next time instead of the PS3 player and see how i like it.

you know what. this is a good point that I hadn’t thought about.

the video may be going through an extra device compared to PC > console but the interface on Stream2me, Airvideo plus the airplay feature is so dead simple that it’s just about as hassle free to use.

... I need to try this out next time instead of the PS3 player and see how i like it.

It works really well.

I'm hoping these devs don't take to long to add 1080p support for iPad and AirPlay. I have an Xbox, PS3 and AppleTV I never stream locally stored files off my gaming consoles since AirPlay came out. It's awesome

Zeth

Is Stream2Me similar to Air Video? I'll probably upgrade my ATV to the newest one as soon as these apps add 1080P streaming.

LCfiner

Is Stream2Me similar to Air Video? I'll probably upgrade my ATV to the newest one as soon as these apps add 1080P streaming.

they’re similar. Airvideo’s PC server app and 3G access is easier to set up.

stream2me does music, which meant more to me before iTunes match came out.

you can’t go wrong with either one, imo.

they’re similar. Airvideo’s PC server app and 3G access is easier to set up.

stream2me does music, which meant more to me before iTunes match came out.

you can’t go wrong with either one, imo.

Haha no they setup pretty much the exact same way.

Not to mention Stream2me does the following.

-Background AirPlay
-Plays video while on the lock-screen in your pocket so you can listen to the audio
-Streams AUDIO and iTunes libraries playlists ECT
-Streams photos and iPhoto libraries even albums

Its everything Airvideo was but 10x better. Those devs shoulda kept adding features but they fell behind.

Edit: OH there's also a Stream2Me Mac app. It's free so I can go play my videos, music and photos on any Mac as well. It's so awesome.

LCfiner

Haha no they setup pretty much the exact same way.

Not to mention Stream2me does the following.

-Background AirPlay
-Plays video while on the lock-screen in your pocket so you can listen to the audio
-Streams AUDIO and iTunes libraries playlists ECT
-Streams photos and iPhoto libraries even albums

Its everything Airvideo was but 10x better. Those devs shoulda kept adding features but they fell behind.

Edit: OH there's also a Stream2Me Mac app. It's free so I can go play my videos, music and photos on any Mac as well. It's so awesome.

all I meant about the 3G stuff was that Airvideo uses a PIN that you enter once. With stream2me, there was an IP to enter, and it would change occasionally on the Mac, after some relaunches (i don’t remember the exact circumstances). So it was a bit more fiddly.

But, yeah, the stuff you list is pretty useful in favour of stream2me.

all I meant about the 3G stuff was that Airvideo uses a PIN that you enter once. With stream2me, there was an IP to enter, and it would change occasionally, after some relaunches (i don’t remember the exact circumstances). So it was a bit more fiddly.

But, yeah, the stuff you list is pretty useful in favour of stream2me.

You're right. I had no idea what you meant but there were a few occasions tht when the desktop app updated the IP changed. Forgot that happened a few times.

I used to love Airvideo, but they made a bunch of promises about features and never deliverd. Once I got music streaming and video playback when the screen is off (listening to the Ricky gervais show and other standup acts) I jumped ship.

Do white ipads show less fingerprints?

Yep, but only around the bezel. From what I can gather, people that read more prefer the white boarder since it blends with books better while people that watch a lot of videos prefer the black bezel since it doesnt distract from the content on the screen. I went with white since I read more than I watch movies, but I have a feeling neither is really all that bad or all that beneficial. I think the case I ordered covers most of the bezel anyway so my choice will only matter when I resell it.

LCfiner

Wasn't it faster for iPad 2?

I had to double check but it looks like ipad 2 had no pre-orders. can someone correct me if I’m wrong?

so the sell out for ipad 2 happened the day it released via online and in-store sales. I think online sales sold out very quick on that first day.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I had to double check but it looks like ipad 2 had no pre-orders. can someone correct me if I’m wrong?

so the sell out for ipad 2 happened the day it released via online and in-store sales. I think online sales sold out very quick on that first day.

You're right, no pre-orders.

They were on the store for one day (launch date) before shipping times changed to 3-4 weeks.
http://9to5mac.com/2011/03/12/ipad-2-shipment-times-jump-to-3-4-weeks-at-apples-online-store/

I honestly expected the online pre-orders for this one to go faster than they have. I guess they have a ton of units ready.

Zeth

I think it was out to 3-4 weeks while I was waiting in line. No preorders until retail release day.

edit: wouldn't be surprised if it goes that far still, we have all week left.

visuals question: will the ipad 3 render retinapad obsolete? or will we need an even better version to upscale the apps? my mind isnt thinking through the options well enough. those un-retina games are going to look like shit arent they?

I have a feeling the next iteration of the iPad will be much like the iPhone 4S. It'll get a nice processor upgrade that will make it a lot snappier.

Top Bottom