• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

MercuryLS

Banned
I have a feeling the next iteration of the iPad will be much like the iPhone 4S. It'll get a nice processor upgrade that will make it a lot snappier.

That's what I'm expecting too. I just hope iPad 3 holds up better than the original iPad over time. Some bloggers said that they did notice some stutter here and there. That worries me.

georgc

Hey gaf I have some screen problems with my iPad 2 I want to take it in to the apple store. If they give a refurb what's te chance of it having 5.1 instead of 5.0.1. I might wanna jailbreak it.

LCfiner

Haha no they setup pretty much the exact same way.

Not to mention Stream2me does the following.

-Background AirPlay
-Plays video while on the lock-screen in your pocket so you can listen to the audio
-Streams AUDIO and iTunes libraries playlists ECT
-Streams photos and iPhoto libraries even albums

Its everything Airvideo was but 10x better. Those devs shoulda kept adding features but they fell behind.

Edit: OH there's also a Stream2Me Mac app. It's free so I can go play my videos, music and photos on any Mac as well. It's so awesome.

I just wanted to follow up and say that I tried this setup with both Airvideo and StreamToMe and, man, I feel silly for not having thought of it earlier. it is much better than streaming direct from PC to PS3.

The main reason is the ability to scrub through a video to a specific spot and for FF/ RW controls. streaming hi bitrate stuff to the PS3 basically eliminates FF controls for me (over ethernet, not wifi, btw) and scrubbing isn’t supported at all.

also, some files that just straight up wouldn’t play on the PS3 are converted just fine on the computer so they now play on the TV where they could not before. so it’s more versatile than the PS3 for playback.

as for Air Video vs. Streamtome, they both can playback the files while in the background or locked, so that’s good. air video has more fine grained options for video bitrates and can disable subtitles. but streamtome has a portrait control option and air video is landscape only - a bit of an ergonomic win for streamtome.

but the experience was eye opening. I would now recommend this setup to nearly everyone who wants to stream movies from a computer to a TV screen. PS3 used to be the choice here, but Airplay, Apple TV, and one of these apps is faster, compatible with more files, has better FF/ scrubbing controls and is a better remote than the PS3 controller.

I just wanted to follow up and say that I tried this setup with both Airvideo and StreamToMe and, man, I feel silly for not having thought of it earlier. it is much better than streaming direct from PC to PS3.

The main reason is the ability to scrub through a video to a specific spot and for FF/ RW controls. streaming hi bitrate stuff to the PS3 basically eliminates FF controls for me (over ethernet, not wifi, btw) and scrubbing isn’t supported at all.

also, some files that just straight up wouldn’t play on the PS3 are converted just fine on the computer so they now play on the TV where they could not before. so it’s more versatile than the PS3 for playback.

as for Air Video vs. Streamtome, they both can playback the files while in the background or locked, so that’s good. air video has more fine grained options for video bitrates and can disable subtitles. but streamtome has a portrait control option and air video is landscape only - a bit of an ergonomic win for streamtome.

but the experience was eye opening. I would now recommend this setup to nearly everyone who wants to stream movies from a computer to a TV screen. PS3 used to be the choice here, but Airplay, Apple TV, and one of these apps is faster, compatible with more files, has better FF/ scrubbing controls and is a better remote than the PS3 controller.

can you use your iPad/iPhone for other stuff while you are streaming?

mrklaw

MrArseFace

so that lets you stream from ipad to apple TV? browsing your local network for files?

I'm guessing thats only for apple TV friendly formats? If you need transcoding does it have a PC helper app for that?

LCfiner

can you use your iPad/iPhone for other stuff while you are streaming?

yup. they just run in the background. double tap home button (also on lock screen) for pause controls or to skip back to the app for the complete remote.

@mrklaw. these apps have a PC component that converts the original files in whatever format they were in to h.264 so ANYTHING plays on the Apple TV.

it used to be great just for the ipad and iphone. but now, with the apple TV and Airplay, it's a replacement for a TV streaming box that handles those files natively.

you just need to have a fast computer to decode HD files. SD stuff doesn't require much. a C2D around 2 GHz or a bit less.

japtor

Re: StreamToMe and Air Video
One of the big things StreamToMe has over Air Video is that it can search, saves a lot of time if your files are scattered a few folders deep or you just have a crapload of stuff around. And if you have a Windows MCE box doing recordings (Copy Freely ones if you have a CableCard) STM can play them but not AV.

Otherwise AV is better in one particular way in that if you have an MP4 file it'll let you try playing without any conversion, regardless of the file specs it seems, while STM is somewhat strict about it. Like with most of my 720 or 1080 stuff in MP4, AV will try to just stream it while STM will transcode cause the bitrate is too high. That's basically the only reason I still keep it around (well that and you can do fairly quick batch encoding with it).

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
I've changed my mind, I'm going for the 32GB wifi instead of the 16GB 4G. I'm going to lose the GPS, but since the UK won't have 4G for at least another year, it seems daft hefting the extra grams.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
yup. they just run in the background. double tap home button (also on lock screen) for pause controls or to skip back to the app for the complete remote.

@mrklaw. these apps have a PC component that converts the original files in whatever format they were in to h.264 so ANYTHING plays on the Apple TV.

it used to be great just for the ipad and iphone. but now, with the apple TV and Airplay, it's a replacement for a TV streaming box that handles those files natively.

you just need to have a fast computer to decode HD files. SD stuff doesn't require much. a C2D around 2 GHz or a bit less.

Ok, cool. I knew airvideo could do that to my ipad, its the return journey I like.

My setup is a mac mini in the lounge running plex, and an apple TV in the spare room, also running plex. So I could use the ipad as a remote (plex on the ATV is a bit clunky), and then stream on the apple TV, using the mac mini as a transcoder if needed?

LCfiner

Ok, cool. I knew airvideo could do that to my ipad, its the return journey I like.

My setup is a mac mini in the lounge running plex, and an apple TV in the spare room, also running plex. So I could use the ipad as a remote (plex on the ATV is a bit clunky), and then stream on the apple TV, using the mac mini as a transcoder if needed?

I believe so, but plex wouldn't factor into the equation at all when using the Apple TV room, of course.

And I assume the Apple TV has been hacked to run plex after the ATV OS version that enabled Airplay was installed. that's pretty important.

pubba

I've decided to line up at the Chermside Apple store here in Brisbane for the launch on Friday. Any other gaffers going to be there? I'm thinking to arrive at around 5 or 6am in the morning.

Do you think that would be early enough to get one of the launch units? I'll have enough $$ to buy a 64GB model if that's all they have, but would rather get a cheaper 32GB one

I've decided to line up at the Chermside Apple store here in Brisbane for the launch on Friday. Any other gaffers going to be there? I'm thinking to arrive at around 5 or 6am in the morning.
mind_blown.gif

I just got this email:
Dear Apple Customer,
Thank you for shopping at the Apple Store online.
Unfortunately your attempt to place an Order with us has been unsuccessful.
Your credit card has been authorised and we are in the process of reversing this authorisation. Please contact your bank directly to confirm when the authorization will be cancelled.
If you would like to place an order with us please call one of our Sales Representatives on 0845 600 1683 who will be more than happy to facilitate this for you.
Kind regards,
Apple Online Store
But it is relating to a different order number to the two that have supposedly shipped. I'm hoping that this is nothing to worry about and is just a delayed message from when I tried to order about 20 times after the keynote... should I be concerned? Shipped means shipped right? That said... my account isn't showing any payments yet... but then HSBC tends to be quite slow to update online...

Sorry to ask again but does anyone have any views on the yoobao cases as I like the look of them

Yoobao cases used to be AYL-branded, and they are very well constructed for the price. I've used a white leather folio for my iPad 2 for the last year and it's saved my bacon on several drops. The company also has great customer service on Amazon. A retaining clip on the first case I purchased snapped, and a quick email to their customer support had me a replacement unit within 3 days.

I think this time I will go for a more business-like brown leather folio for the new iPad's casing. The only disappointment is that no one will be able to see my well-worded engraving.

123rl

The money is still showing as pending and so is the money from the iPad I cancelled. Has anyone in the UK actually been charged yet?

Man, I'm really mad right now. I knew the processing of my order was taking too long, but I didn't worry too much, because my account was already charged and the Apple site still showed me March 16 as shipping/delivery date. Now the status was updated with April 2nd as shipping date and April 4th as delivery date. I called the CS, asked if they could do anything, but of course there was nothing they could do. I've only one Apple Store in my area and really don't feel like taking a day off and getting there at 5 AM, just to get one. Still thinking about it, though.

God damnit!

So is it safe to assume that the information vacuum concerning the specs of the A5X would indicate that no speed bump for the CPU cores are expected? I'm a bit worried by that, as I am certain that the resolution boost wouldn't just tax the GPU alone.

I'm reaching that period where I'm starting to have doubts about my purchase. I've had two people point out to me that since I already have an iPhone 4, Kindle and a laptop, getting an iPad is a waste of money. And since it came down to a choice between the Playstation Vita and iPad 3, I should have went for the Vita.

Currently sitting here watching iPad videos to justify my purchase to myself.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm reaching that period where I'm starting to have doubts about my purchase. I've had two people point out to me that since I already have an iPhone 4, Kindle and a laptop, getting an iPad is a waste of money. And since it came down to a choice between the Playstation Vita and iPad 3, I should have went for the Vita.

I have an iPhone, a Kindle, and a laptop. I still get plenty of separate use for my tablet. It really comes down to what you do with your time, where and how you do it, who you do it with, etc.

japtor

So is it safe to assume that the information vacuum concerning the specs of the A5X would indicate that no speed bump for the CPU cores are expected? I'm a bit worried by that, as I am certain that the resolution boost wouldn't just tax the GPU alone.
I'm kind of waiting on that...well that and my birthday is next month, I can wait.

They might be the same, they could have a decent bump, who knows. Like the 2nd gen iPod touch got a pretty big bump over the iPhones at the time (533mhz vs 400) but was never mentioned anywhere, I'm hoping that's the case here. If if was bumped I'm guessing they'd didn't bother saying it cause any moderate boost (under 50% faster?) would look small vs something like the "4x Tegra 3!" or the "2x faster!" claims of previous bumps.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Your feelings when you realize all of those digital copies of movies you bought are all in SD?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν

Where I'm drawing the line personally with the new iPad is at iPad 2 performance at Retina resolution. Whatever the A5X actually brings to the table, I think iPad 2 performance at Retina resolution would be everything we could expect.

We'll have to see...

Just bought and tried AirVideo at a time when I should be leaving for the office. A very nice package! The iPad interface is nice, and the server software for both Mac and Windows is effective and offers minimal settings. Transcoding quality seems fine from HD sources. No complaints at all for $2.99.

More on the display:

DisplaySearch believes that Apple is using Super High Aperture (SHA) pixel design for its new iPad. SHA, developed by Sharp and JSR, allows manufacturers to increase aperture ratio with an acrylic resin layer that planarizes the device and helps separate the pixel electrodes and signal lines. Apple explains in its new iPad video that the company wanted to avoid color distortion and fuzzy images, solving this by elevating the pixels onto a different plane that is separate from the signals themselves. The double pixel density also requires a brighter backlight and DisplaySearch says its research indicates that the latest iPad has twice as many LEDs than the iPad 2, which included 36.
http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/12/2...ay-technology-super-high-aperture-double-leds

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'm looking for a case to buy right now. I currently rock my iPhone 4S naked but was planning on getting a bamboo case with a gift certificate my brother got me.

I'm not sure whether I just want a holder that will let me slide my iPad out to use or one of those cases where the iPad is always in the case.

Glip_Glop

Currently sitting here watching iPad videos to justify my purchase to myself.
Dude, haha, I have 2 Airs, a Kindle, an iPhone 4, an MSI gaming laptop and a Dell Laptop...And Im Still getting an iPad. People call me insane! So get both if you can.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Something that I'm pretty strongly considering pairing with my Smart cover:

SPIGEN SGP Skin Guard

Basically a super thin layer of faux-leather that you put on the back of the device to prevent scratching/marks when laying it on it's back.

Anyone that had an iPad 2 with a Smart Cover probably knows how annoying it is be super gentle with the device when laying it down on it's back...and having someone slide it across a table or something knowing that the back is fully exposed.

Something like this should be visually un-offensive and not add any kind of noticeable bulk or weight while still giving protection.

...haven't pulled the trigger on it just yet, but I'm wrestling with myself.

I don't think apple would allow apps to run worse on a 3rd gen ipad compared to the second one, at least the'd not want too but some apps might suffer.

One good thing about waiting a month is hearing all the feedback on it, so go get testing GAF :p

HoTHiTTeR

My iPad and Apple TV status have updated, previously they said "Standard Shipping". Day 1, 2nd hour available order - NorCal.

iPad with Wi-Fi 16GB - White (3rd generation)
Delivers on March 16 via Next Day Shipping
Recycling Fee

Something that I'm pretty strongly considering pairing with my Smart cover:

SPIGEN SGP Skin Guard

Basically a super thin layer of faux-leather that you put on the back of the device to prevent scratching/marks when laying it on it's back.

Anyone that had an iPad 2 with a Smart Cover probably knows how annoying it is be super gentle with the device when laying it down on it's back...and having someone slide it across a table or something knowing that the back is fully exposed.

Something like this should be visually un-offensive and not add any kind of noticeable bulk or weight while still giving protection.

...haven't pulled the trigger on it just yet, but I'm wrestling with myself.

It looks good, but I wish there was a neoprene cover for the whole back that is just as thin. I have one for my OG iPad and while I like it in complete black, it could be a bit thinner.

One good thing about waiting a month is hearing all the feedback on it, so go get testing GAF :p

Hah, yeah. I've waited a whole year for this iPad, I can wait another three weeks. By that time we should also hear about potential quality issues with the display.

ParityBit

It looks good, but I wish there was a neoprene cover for the whole back that is just as thin. I have one for my OG iPad and while I like it in complete black, it could be a bit thinner.

Hah, yeah. I've waited a whole year for this iPad, I can wait another three weeks. By that time we should also hear about potential quality issues with the display.

How about this one?

http://www.marware.com/microshell-folio-case-for-the-new-ipad

Really thin, smart cover and I liked it a lot on my iPad 2

amrihua

Apple says mine wont arrive before 4/4 :'( My payment didn't get processed until Today, even though I ordered on Thursday and paid on Friday.

Top Bottom