• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Apple TV order switched to next day shipping too. Still processing though. They also took the 520 dollar hold off my account for my cancelled iPad which is good.

Cheebo

Banned
I ordered yesterday and it says it will be delivered on march 23

Should I expect further delay?

All versions didn't sell out same time. So depending on color size etc the 19th shipment sold out at various times. That shipment is completely sold out across the line now though.

dorn.

Apple says mine wont arrive before 4/4 :'( My payment didn't get processed until Today, even though I ordered on Thursday and paid on Friday.

Same here, ordered and paid on thursday. I'm so pissed right now, it said the 16th when I ordered, had I known this I would have looked elsewhere or payed via credit card. Like I'm just going to give them 500€ interest free for a month. Canceled my order, if I can't get it on launch day might as well wait a couple of months or use my Ipad 2 for another year.

ultron87

My iPad has totally shipped but they haven't charged my credit card. Weird. Or maybe this is how it always goes. I dunno, as I've never ordered one day 1 before.

How about this one?

http://www.marware.com/microshell-folio-case-for-the-new-ipad

Really thin, smart cover and I liked it a lot on my iPad 2

This looks really good, I think I'm getting the version w/o the smart cover.

Apple says mine wont arrive before 4/4 :'( My payment didn't get processed until Today, even though I ordered on Thursday and paid on Friday.

Same here, ordered and paid on thursday. I'm so pissed right now, it said the 16th when I ordered, had I known this I would have looked elsewhere or payed via credit card. Like I'm just going to give them 500€ interest free for a month. Canceled my order, if I can't get it on launch day might as well wait a couple of months or use my Ipad 2 for another year.

Not to sound like an ass, but I'm glad I'm not the only one. :lol

I'm gonna wait, though. It won't be nice, but lining up in front of the Store is not an option and there's nothing else I can really do. I want this.

e_i

So, I bought:

iPad 64GB Wifi White
A green smart cover
Neoprene sleeve
Casecrown iPad bag
VGA dongle
HDMI dongle
Camera kit

You can't be serious? In your case, it's probably for the best that it didn't ship day one, because it doesn't seem like you really want it for any other reason than it being the newest iPad.

Cheebo

Banned
I wonder how many have sold so far. The initial day 1 shipment that has long sine sold out was apparently 5 million units.

e_i

Big mistake. Is this your first iPad?

Second one. I've seen the white in the store, and I'm fine with it. I'm not distracted by white or black borders with video. Some people are, even through white or black are supposed to lead the eyes to the picture/video. I'm a photographer and frame my photos in white mattes all the time.

rezuth

I'm reaching that period where I'm starting to have doubts about my purchase. I've had two people point out to me that since I already have an iPhone 4, Kindle and a laptop, getting an iPad is a waste of money. And since it came down to a choice between the Playstation Vita and iPad 3, I should have went for the Vita.

Currently sitting here watching iPad videos to justify my purchase to myself.

You know I had the same stuff when I got my iPad 2 a year ago and honestly its not before you used it for some day that it clicks. You'll start to wonder how you lived without it and you will consume more media than ever before.

dorn.

You can't be serious? In your case, it's probably for the best that it didn't ship day one, because it doesn't seem like you really want it for any other reason than it being the newest iPad.

My Ipad is by far my most used device and as I would have sold my current one to my parents it would have only cost me about 150 to upgrade, which I don't think is that much given the leap in display quality.

Flo_Evans

I just went for the smart cover. Stopped by the apple store when I was at the mall, checked out with my iPhone. :p

The apple store app is really cool. Nice to be able to just grab one off the shelf and scan and pay with your phone, place is always packed and it takes forever to check out!

Cheebo

Banned

For itunes purchases they upres your old 720 content. When you redownload movies that now have 1080P avaiaible but were once limited to 720 you can download the 1080P verision and not have to re-purchase anything.

If you had the 720P movie/tv episode you automatically get the newer 1080P.

For itunes purchases they upres your old 720 content. When you redownload movies that now have 1080P avaiaible but were once limited to 720 you can download the 1080P verision and not have to re-purchase anything.

If you had the 720P movie/tv episode you automatically get the newer 1080P.

I believe he was asking if they upres SD to HD now. I tried it the other night with an old purchase of the Clone Wars TV series and it was still in SD.

undecided

I just went for the smart cover. Stopped by the apple store when I was at the mall, checked out with my iPhone. :p

The apple store app is really cool. Nice to be able to just grab one off the shelf and scan and pay with your phone, place is always packed and it takes forever to check out!

I downloaded that app on its release day..and never knew you could do this. Waiting for an employee to checkout is always annoying.

Cheebo

Banned
I believe he was asking if they upres SD to HD now. I tried it the other night with an old purchase of the Clone Wars TV series and it was still in SD.
Well it'd be insane to expect that. They sell HD content and SD content seperatly. And charge more for HD. It's like expecting a DVD to upgrade to Blu-Ray for free.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
You know I had the same stuff when I got my iPad 2 a year ago and honestly its not before you used it for some day that it clicks. You'll start to wonder how you lived without it and you will consume more media than ever before.

The iPad didn't click with me at first either. I used it a bit and thought it was neat...but what do I use this thing for that I wouldn't use my laptop for? My laptop is right here with me all the time!

...well having to use my laptop for the past few weeks after selling my iPad 2 was some of the most annoying ever. I wanted my eBooks for the train ride and don't want to buy things on the Kindle store. Reading on my iPhone isn't the same. Discovering new news isn't as fun or interactive without Zite or Flipboard. My magazine subs are rotting on my virtual newsstand just waiting to download fresh copies on my new device. Playing little nothing games during commercial breaks on TV just weren't happening.

I'm more and more coming to the realization that the only major thing laptops have over iPads that make me use them is the ability to enter text more quickly on a keyboard...and true windows multi-tasking.

Typing in longform text is really only something I miss when I'm on GAF or need to bang out a lengthier than usual email. On GAF I can use the software keyboard just fine for quicker responses. I can even take pictures I find online and upload them to my Photobucket account for linking and whatnot so I don't even miss that.

Multi-tasking is what is going to hold back this device from being a powerhouse in the business world. Being able to be on IM, have your Outlook open, have a task manager open, have a browser with multiple tabs open....at a MINIMUM...is something I depend on to be efficient and effective.

At home, though? Much less need to do all that multi-tasking or text entry. I can just read more news sites more comfortably and in better interfaces. I can read my books comfortably. I can play games while relaxing on the couch. I can watch that video podcast. See that TED talk. Check for product reviews. Find a place to eat. Like 99% of what we do on computers.

The iPad is just the easier, more portable and more comfortable device for pretty much all discovery and consumption activities. It's just weak at text-entry and windows-style multi-tasking. At home, I just don't do that too regularly.

Can you use iPhone retina assets on the iPad? Or do we have to scale 480x320 up to 2048x1536.

I'm not sure we've had that question answered yet.

Unfortunately, I suspect we won't be able to - Apple doesn't want to give lazy developers incentive to make only an iPhone version of their app and have that sell perfectly well on the iPad instead of making a fully iPad-optimized version. Which does make sense, but RetinaPad is still better for end users.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Why do people in this thread think they are getting their device before friday? Is this your first apple product launch? Rarely do people get items before their in store release. Apple don't play that.

Well it'd be insane to expect that. They sell HD content and SD content seperatly. And charge more for HD. It's like expecting a DVD to upgrade to Blu-Ray for free.

Yep, they wouldnt continue to have different price points if they were just going to upres them if you accessed the shows via the cloud.

Why do people in this thread think they are getting their device before friday? Is this your first apple product launch? Rarely do people get items before their in store release. Apple don't play that.

People said the same thing during the huge iPhone 4 launch and those phones arrived days ahead of schedule.

Cheebo

Banned
Yep, they wouldnt continue to have different price points if they were just going to upres them if you accessed the shows via the cloud.

If they wanted to be stingy they could have added a third price level for 1080P. Thankfully anyone who bought 720P content automatically can download the 1080P videos for free.

noah111

Still Alive

Wow, that's pretty awesome (didn't know you could do that). That must almost feel like stealing due to how much of a habit going to the checkout = buying something feels.

So has the web browser on the ipad3 give us proper tabs yet?

I'd possibly get it if they made it easier multi-task with browsing.
Where have you been dude;

Safari-tabs-iPad-2-iOS-5.jpg

x-Lundz-x

So, what is GAF's opinion on screen protectors? Worth it? Do they make one that is virtually invisible and does not interfere with anything?

noah111

Still Alive
So, what is GAF's opinion on screen protectors? Worth it? Do they make one that is virtually invisible and does not interfere with anything?
I would advise against it, but that's just me. In my experience there are none out there that you truly can't tell the difference from having it off. There's always going to be a slight difference.

But that's not even the worst part; it's the lack of feeling the glass. There's just something different about swiping across a different material, it just isn't the same imo. Plus the fucking inevitable bubbles.

All make it not worth it imo. Unless you plan on letting you cat play with it or something.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm definitely concerned about speed with this thing. I'm really not yet convinced that the GPU is going to be strong enough to push such a high resolution effectively. I expected more muscle behind this. 2048x1536 is no joke.

I'm positive a lot of 3D applications will have to rely on upscaling and I fear that framerates and general performance of even just the UI will suffer.

Top Bottom