• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

I'm reaching that period where I'm starting to have doubts about my purchase. I've had two people point out to me that since I already have an iPhone 4, Kindle and a laptop, getting an iPad is a waste of money. And since it came down to a choice between the Playstation Vita and iPad 3, I should have went for the Vita.

Currently sitting here watching iPad videos to justify my purchase to myself.

Had a Vita since launch and love it, have not regrets getting an iPad also, also have iPhone 4 but not a Kindle. Having a Kindle and iPad seems redundant to me.

So, what is GAF's opinion on screen protectors? Worth it? Do they make one that is virtually invisible and does not interfere with anything?
Unlike a phone that you might want to leave it naked in your pocket, where a screen protector kinda makes sense, I'd say an iPad absolutely needs a proper cover for the screen for carrying it around - a thin plastic film is not enough. So if you're gonna get a cover, which you should, then screen protectors become utterly pointless.

I'm definitely concerned about speed with this thing. I'm really not yet convinced that the GPU is going to be strong enough to push such a high resolution effectively. I expected more muscle behind this. 2048x1536 is no joke.

I'm positive a lot of 3D applications will have to rely on upscaling and I fear that framerates and general performance of even just the UI will suffer.

It's quad-core GPU, what else did you expect Apple to use?

x-Lundz-x

I would advise against it, but that's just me. In my experience there are none out there that you truly can't tell the difference from having it off. There's always going to be a slight difference.

But that's not even the worst part; it's the lack of feeling the glass. There's just something different about swiping across a different material, it just isn't the same imo. Plus the fucking inevitable bubbles.

All make it not worth it imo. Unless you plan on letting you cat play with it or something.

Ok, sounds good to me. I have a case so I am not too worried.

+1

also, they're not going to release a piece of hardware that can't handle their applications. Did you see the on-stage demo, dark10x? GPU is not a problem.

I'm reaching that period where I'm starting to have doubts about my purchase. I've had two people point out to me that since I already have an iPhone 4, Kindle and a laptop, getting an iPad is a waste of money. And since it came down to a choice between the Playstation Vita and iPad 3, I should have went for the Vita.

Currently sitting here watching iPad videos to justify my purchase to myself.

Sell the Kindle. You've stepped up to the big boys table. Buy a Vita with the change if you're so inclined.

LCfiner

I'm definitely concerned about speed with this thing. I'm really not yet convinced that the GPU is going to be strong enough to push such a high resolution effectively. I expected more muscle behind this. 2048x1536 is no joke.

I'm positive a lot of 3D applications will have to rely on upscaling and I fear that framerates and general performance of even just the UI will suffer.

Yes, I've been thinking the same thing. I'm sure Apple gave this thing enough juice to make the built in apps run smooth at the native res, but I'm not convinced that graphically intense games will be able to run at native res without some slowdown.

I remember when the iphone 4 launched. the UI and app launching was faster than the 3GS, but there were some games that ran choppily on the 4 at native res compared to the 3GS's version with its lower quality assets.

So, what is GAF's opinion on screen protectors? Worth it? Do they make one that is virtually invisible and does not interfere with anything?

Please no. If you're a gamer, you probably are used to having to put screen protectors on your PSP or DS, but not so with iPhones or iPads. These screens are brilliant in that they are very sturdy and can take some punishment with no blemish. You also lose a great deal of the feel on the glass. I've played around with a co-worker's iPad who has a screen protector, and it feels...strange. Doesn't feel good at all and actually takes away from the performance of the iPad in my opinion.

Yes, I've been thinking the same thing. I'm sure Apple gave this thing enough juice to make the built in apps run smooth at the native res, but I'm not convinced that graphically intense games will be able to run at native res without some slowdown.

I remember when the iphone 4 launched. the UI and app launching was faster than the 3GS, but there were some games that ran choppily on the 4 at native res compared to the 3GS's version with its lower quality assets.

Did the iPhone 4 get a GPU bump over the iPhone 3GS? I can't remember. Yeah, I'm wondering the same thing, too. I suppose it depends on the strength of the developer. Too be honest, I'd be fine with games staying at the current res. I only really need the retina display for reading, anyways. Games at the current res with the GPU bump will scream.

That said, who knows...I'm sure Apple tested the graphics engine quite a bit.

Waste of money. Even with my iPhone where I accidentally put my iPhone in the same pocket with my keys I have never gotten a scratch on the front screen. The back is different though. I would make sure that is protected.

Please no. If you're a gamer, you probably are used to having to put screen protectors on your PSP or DS, but not so with iPhones or iPads. These screens are brilliant in that they are very sturdy and can take some punishment with no blemish. You also lose a great deal of the feel on the glass. I've played around with a co-worker's iPad who has a screen protector, and it feels...strange. Doesn't feel good at all and actually takes away from the performance of the iPad in my opinion.

Did the iPhone 4 get a GPU bump over the iPhone 3GS? I can't remember. Yeah, I'm wondering the same thing, too. I suppose it depends on the strength of the developer. Too be honest, I'd be fine with games staying at the current res. I only really need the retina display for reading, anyways. Games at the current res with the GPU bump will scream.

That said, who knows...I'm sure Apple tested the graphics engine quite a bit.

my 2nd gen touch has been played with to death and still gets used by my brother and young nephew, no scratches on the glass at all.

The chrome on the back is a different story...

numble

The target platform for iPad games has still been the 1st Generation, unless you were playing Machinarium.

The target platform will probably move to the iPad 2 now. I think the target will be to have them run equally well on iPad 2 and the new iPad.

LCFiner said:
One thing Apple learned from that--whereas the GPU in the 3GS and iPhone 4 were the same GPU, the new iPad does not share the same GPU as iPad 2.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν

I think this is all part of the iPad growing up, though.

Think about the current generation of consoles that achieve buttery smooth graphics. Typically these games are not natively 1080p. They are something sub-720p even in some cases and up-resed to 1080p. Weren't Halo and Call of Duty running at something like 640p and uprezzed on consoles?

No one was complaining about lackluster visuals in those franchises.

I guess what I'm getting at is that native resolution probably won't and probably shouldn't be the target for high-end gaming anyways.

Wat. There is absolutely no way that you will get a graphically intense game running at native. Look at Uncharted Golden Abyss. I would describe that as a graphically intense game for a portable device, and that can't even run native on a 960 x 544 screen, and I imagine the Vita is a fair bit more powerful than an iPad 3 for gaming applications.

RubxQub

did you forget about the resolution on this iPad?

Some people are going to bang the eInk drum forever.

The "less strain on your eyes" argument doesn't hold water because I've read a ton of books on the iPad already...and that was with a shittier screen. Maybe this really affects certain people...but not me.

The "kindle has a forever battery and is lighter" argument, however...that still holds a ton of merit. In that aspect and that aspect only...it's better. Can go longer without charging it, and it's easier to hold (and therefore can allow a lot of different postures not as comfortable with an iPad).

That being said, I'll never read on a Kindle again. Haven't since I got my first iPad.

ParityBit

Retina display sir. Everyone who has had a hands on with it comes away saying the text is jaw-dropping, that it looks like real printed ink.

Kindle has no back-light and thus no eye strain. In addition you can not read in any form of sunlight. A Kindle is a must have (or any e-reader) for people who really enjoy reading. I will never give up my Kindle. Errr ..... I will only give up my Kindle for the newest Kindle version. :)

I don't think resolution was ever the issue. It is more that having a glowing screen in your face can tire the eyes.

Res has very little impact on eyestrain caused by backlit LCD tech. A Kindle is much easier on the eyes because it requires external light like a printed page. Plus it's much lighter, comfortable to hold in one hand like a book.

I've read a number of books on my iPad. "eye strain" / backlight brightness was never, ever an issue. I was concerned that it would be...but it definitely was not.

Black background, white text.

Low light.

Viola.

+1

Enco

I don't get the kindle and iPad comparisons.

Two completely different products. Reading on the iPad is NOT as easy on the eyes. Not much to argue with on that.

Paper (pretty much) or a lit LCD screen. Hmmmm...

Wow, that article about locked up FedEx trucks sitting until Thursday night is no joke. Looks like Apple really nailed down the delivery this time around unlike with the 2.

RubxQub

Low light.

Viola.
Sepia is the only way to fly on the iPad:

ibooks-11-sepia.jpg

Cheebo

Banned
There was a study (I believe in The Guardian?) that tested the LCD displays give users eye-strain over e-ink and the myth was ompeltely disproven.

Edit: Yes! Sepia is the way to go.

Spacebar

Anyone have some good magazine recommendations on the ipad? I usually buy imagineFX, .net, and Computer Arts at Barns and Noble. I'm looking forward to getting these on the ipad now.

My iPad is listed in Nashville and I live in Nashville, but they won't let me come pick it up at their HQs because Apple said not to deliver it until Friday =(

x-Lundz-x

Some people are going to bang the eInk drum forever.

The "less strain on your eyes" argument doesn't hold water because I've read a ton of books on the iPad already...and that was with a shittier screen. Maybe this really affects certain people...but not me.

The "kindle has a forever battery and is lighter" argument, however...that still holds a ton of merit. In that aspect and that aspect only...it's better. Can go longer without charging it, and it's easier to hold (and therefore can allow a lot of different postures not as comfortable with an iPad).

That being said, I'll never read on a Kindle again. Haven't since I got my first iPad.

I have made the progression from Kindle 3rd gen, to the Kindle Fire, to now the iPad 3rd Gen. I don't plan on ever going back either. Can't wait to see my books on the Retina Display. My only concern is the size of the iPad compared to my Kindle Fire. I will admit the fire is very easy to handle when reading.

There was a study (I believe in The Guardian?) that tested the LCD displays give users eye-strain over e-ink and the myth was ompeltely disproven.

Eye strain is perhaps the wrong way to describle it. It's not tiring or anything, it's just not like paper. It's a different experience, and e-ink totally wins in terms of print simulation.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Anyone have some good magazine recommendations on the ipad? I usually buy imagineFX, .net, and Computer Arts at Barns and Noble. I'm looking forward to getting these on the ipad now.

Business Week's app is pretty good; I like how they do things. Wired's is okay as well. But the only two I read with any regularity are the New Yorker and Economist.

agree on both counts. last time I got eye strain when reading off a screen was when reading off an old CRT monitor.

the ease of backlight brightness control and reasonably crisp text was fine for my iPad 1 reading (of which there was much). I expect the iPad 3 and the tablets that will follow with similar resolution will put these concerns to rest for those who presumably have yet to really try it.

Eye strain is perhaps the wrong way to describle it. It's not tiring or anything, it's just not like paper. It's a different experience, and e-ink totally wins in terms of print simulation.
fair enough. we'll all see soon enough.

I suspect many Kindles will be on the chopping block (unless the books are drm'd to Kindles only or something).

I decided I was gonna keep my Kindle, despite getting an iPad. My Kindle has now become my bathroom magazine rack.

Sounds so cruel, but I think it's rather awesome actually.

Bgamer90

Banned

Low light.

Viola.

Exactly.

It's as if some think that you can't control the backlight/setttings on the iPad.

Anyways, I want an iPad 3 but I don't know if I'll have the money for it. Guess I'll ask for it as a graduation present lol.

plc268

Study or not, I and a lot of other people will tell you that e-ink is easier on the eyes.

LCDs are great for everything else, but the moment you put a mass amount of concentrated text on the screen, it becomes difficult to read. And for some, reading white text on a black background is equally, if not more, eyestraining than reading black text on a white background.

RubxQub

I'm most interested in seeing how magazines change with the new iPad. There's no way that they can expect people to download 2GB files because they are too lazy to code up a proper app that renders native text. No way in hell.

A magazine should only be text and pictures...and the videos should have an offline mode so you can view them on the go if you'd like...otherwise should be web-loaded.

Eff 500MB mags on the iPad 2...and EFF THEM harder on the iPad 3. They need to do something.

Rant aside, I love MacWorld, Bloomberg Business Week, Engadget Distro (free), Golf Digest, Popular Science, The New Yorker...a bunch of random others...but those are my go-tos.

kaskade

Maybe not the right thread but how do the polyurethane smart covers hold up? I kind of like the lighter colors, especially with the white. I'm just asking because on This is only a Test Will said his didn't. I just wanted some more opinions.

RubxQub

Study or not, I and a lot of other people will tell you that e-ink is easier on the eyes.

LCDs are great for everything else, but the moment you put a mass amount of concentrated text on the screen, it becomes difficult to read. And for some, reading white text on a black background is equally, if not more, eyestraining than reading black text on a white background.

Sepia, man! It's like you're reading on old book in the library or something. That subtle hue change from white to tan really makes things amazing.

Anyone not reading on the iPad with Sepia is straight up doing it wrong. It should be on by default.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I dunno, the PowerVR 6 series? The GPU is basically twice as fast as that in the iPad 2 (with extra cores being the main improvement), but the resolution has quadrupled. I don't think their GPU solution is going to be strong enough to handle the high resolution screen. I do believe that PowerVR 6 would have been the answer but it IS very new and it would have been difficult to bring to market so quickly. If anyone could have done it, however, it would be Apple. That's why I'm disappointed that it didn't happen.

I'm pretty sure we're going to see the same thing this time. Native resolution apps are probably going to run slower on the new iPad than they do on the iPad 2.

also, they're not going to release a piece of hardware that can't handle their applications. Did you see the on-stage demo, dark10x? GPU is not a problem.
Of course I did. I'm sure it will handle most apps just fine, but they've been talking big about games and I just don't think we're going to see a lot of native resolution games with high-end visuals running at native resolution.

Tobor

I had no interest in an eink device before. The iPad was good enough for reading, with no more eye strain than reading anything else.

Now, with a retina display? Pfft. Fugeddaboutit.

I'm most interested in seeing how magazines change with the new iPad. There's no way that they can expect people to download 2GB files because they are too lazy to code up a proper app that renders native text. No way in hell.

A magazine should only be text and pictures...and the videos should have an offline mode so you can view them on the go if you'd like...otherwise should be web-loaded.

Eff 500MB mags on the iPad 2...and EFF THEM harder on the iPad 3. They need to do something.

Rant aside, I love MacWorld, Bloomberg Business Week, Engadget Distro (free), Golf Digest, Popular Science, The New Yorker...a bunch of random others...but those are my go-tos.

How much are the magazine subscriptions for various magazines? I could definitely see myself subbing, but I'm curious as to what the rates are. I remember thinking some of the newspaper subscriptions on my kindle being just too high.

Top Bottom