• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

I dunno, the PowerVR 6 series? The GPU is basically twice as fast as that in the iPad 2 (with extra cores being the main improvement), but the resolution has quadrupled. I don't think their GPU solution is going to be strong enough to handle the high resolution screen. I do believe that PowerVR 6 would have been the answer but it IS very new and it would have been difficult to bring to market so quickly. If anyone could have done it, however, it would be Apple. That's why I'm disappointed that it didn't happen.

I'm pretty sure we're going to see the same thing this time. Native resolution apps are probably going to run slower on the new iPad than they do on the iPad 2.

Of course I did. I'm sure it will handle most apps just fine, but they've been talking big about games and I just don't think we're going to see a lot of native resolution games with high-end visuals running at native resolution.

ImgTec announced Series 6 in January this year. It would've been impossible to implement it into the A5X.

10 January 2012
Imagination announces first PowerVR Series6 GPU cores

International CES, Las Vegas, USA: Imagination Technologies, a leading multimedia and communication technologies company, announces the first IP cores in its ground-breaking PowerVR Series6 GPU core family.

PowerVR Series6 GPU cores are available for licensing now.
http://imgtec.com/News/Release/index.asp?NewsID=666

Sorry to ask again but does anyone have any views on the yoobao cases as I like the look of them

They are fantastic. I bought the executive leather version 3 case for iPad 2 for both my wife and my MIL. The build quality is excellent and the leather is nice quality. All holes line up exactly where they should. Highly, highly recommended.

I'm pretty sure we're going to see the same thing this time. Native resolution apps are probably going to run slower on the new iPad than they do on the iPad 2.

Unless they also increased the clock speed of the GPU, games that are fill rate limited on the iPad2 will not be able to run at native resolution on the new iPad. On the other hand, if they run at 1024x768, you can probably add AA and other effects to make up for it.

I had no interest in an eink device before. The iPad was good enough for reading, with no more eye strain than reading anything else.

Now, with a retina display? Pfft. Fugeddaboutit.

Same. I've read tons of books on my iPad and have had zero issues. I really like it, and when looking at an eInk screen, for me personally, it was worse. Much rather read on my iPad, especially now.

And yes, there was a report that completely discounted the "LCD's strain the eyes more" argument. It may come down to personal preference, which I completely respect, but there is no discernible benefit of eInk over an LCD in terms of eye strain/readability.

Of course I did. I'm sure it will handle most apps just fine, but they've been talking big about games and I just don't think we're going to see a lot of native resolution games with high-end visuals running at native resolution.
Which is great, because that would be a total waste of power. Even 1024x768 is unnecessary really. To hell with Retina for 3D games. The iPad 3 would be doing well running Call of Duty 4 at console quality, which was 1024x600. It doesn't need to be any better. People need to stop thinking about native res games. The next generation of home consoles will rarely push half the pixels... why the hell are you expecting it on this?

Retina is for sharp text, sharp 2D stuff. That's all.

Absinthe

So, what is GAF's opinion on screen protectors? Worth it? Do they make one that is virtually invisible and does not interfere with anything?

Seems most Gaffers would disagree with me, but the matte screen protector is a must on the iPad. Only the matte protector though, the non-matte protectors are garbage.

Once you use it, and never have to ever clean fingerprints off the screen you'll never go back. Also it's smoother, and easier to swipe around IOS with a matte screen, there's no "drag" on your finger.

Black background, white text.

Low light.

Viola.

As much as I'll enjoy my iPad, it will not replace my 79 dollar Kindle. Try taking an iPad to the beach/lake/outback-on-a-lawnchair-on-a-sunny-day. It's awful. Kindles just cant be beat for book reading unless of course it's a book with lots of art etc. And people can claim all they want that black-lighting isn't straining your eyes, it is. The degree to which it is can vary. Personally I set the iPad (Kindle app) to sepia, very low brightness, and I bump the font size up a little. But for my main reading, my inexpensive Kindle can't be touched. It's light, it has an insane battery life, and it can be read in the brightest sunlight. Millions of people aren't still buying them simply because they hate Apple. They're just better for what they do.

Some people are going to bang the eInk drum forever.

The "less strain on your eyes" argument doesn't hold water because I've read a ton of books on the iPad already...and that was with a shittier screen. Maybe this really affects certain people...but not me.

The "kindle has a forever battery and is lighter" argument, however...that still holds a ton of merit. In that aspect and that aspect only...it's better. Can go longer without charging it, and it's easier to hold (and therefore can allow a lot of different postures not as comfortable with an iPad).

That being said, I'll never read on a Kindle again. Haven't since I got my first iPad.

It's quite straining when reading in direct sunlight.

noah111

Still Alive
Sepia is the only way to fly on the iPad:

ibooks-11-sepia.jpg

Nahhh iBook's new Night mode is beautiful for reading in the dark. In every other situation though; Sepia.

I had no interest in an eink device before. The iPad was good enough for reading, with no more eye strain than reading anything else.

Now, with a retina display? Pfft. Fugeddaboutit.
Pretty much this. Makes me wonder about the longevity of e-ink devices tbh.

ParityBit

Yea, I'm keeping my kindle for reading. I love that e-ink. I've read some stuff on my iPhone, but I still much prefer my Kindle.

Yeah, the decisions is really personal. I find the iPad gets too "heavy" after a while to read while laying in bed and the kindle is much more portable with the smaller size. Although generally I have both with me. When on a beach or anyplace that has a chance of getting sun reflection I always use the Kindle (obviously)

I think all my devices (Droid, iPad, Computers) have the Kindle app/web app for reading though.

tokkun

There was a study (I believe in The Guardian?) that tested the LCD displays give users eye-strain over e-ink and the myth was ompeltely disproven.

And yes, there was a report that completely discounted the "LCD's strain the eyes more" argument.

Please post this study. I have tried finding it via Google and can't find any such studies. I do get a lot of hits for sites that claim that no such studies exist.

Ydahs

Just readied my App for retina support.

Being able to see less than half of the App on my 1080p screen while using the iPad 3 simulator was pretty insane. Think I'll finally be buying an iPad!

LCfiner

Some people are going to bang the eInk drum forever.

The "less strain on your eyes" argument doesn't hold water because I've read a ton of books on the iPad already...and that was with a shittier screen. Maybe this really affects certain people...but not me.

The "kindle has a forever battery and is lighter" argument, however...that still holds a ton of merit. In that aspect and that aspect only...it's better. Can go longer without charging it, and it's easier to hold (and therefore can allow a lot of different postures not as comfortable with an iPad).

That being said, I'll never read on a Kindle again. Haven't since I got my first iPad.

it does hold water because some people are more sensitive to it than others. It's annoying to read comments lumping all humans into one group and saying "well, if it doesn't bother me, then LCD is just fine".

It doesn't work like that. it is absolutely a personal thing that determines how much someone will be bothered by reading prose on an LCD for long stretches of time.

For a lot of people in this thread with ipads, the LCD screen is fine for you. But for others, including myself, the LCD screen is not great for reading in the dark and does cause problems compared to e-ink.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I exclusively read e-books with a black background and white text, people think I am crazy cause it's not book-like. Fuck that traditionalist shit!

My girlfriend is talking about getting a Tablet, and she's seen me gush over the Transformer Prime, and has liked the widgets/live backgrounds stuff - but I've been trying to convince her to get an iPad. She has a macbook pro and an iPhone4, so it probably would be a more comfortable OS to her, I'd rather she have something she likes more than something I like.

Is there any particular extra functionality she will get out of having an all mac ecosystem? Like some sort of power-rangers megazord thing going on?

plc268

Sepia, man! It's like you're reading on old book in the library or something. That subtle hue change from white to tan really makes things amazing.

Anyone not reading on the iPad with Sepia is straight up doing it wrong. It should be on by default.

Maybe, but I'm not going to throw my kindle away anytime soon, as it offers a better reading experience irregardless of the new ipad's resolution.

Ydahs

Now i'm curious, can't name your app? :p
I can but it won't interest 99.5% of GAF. It's a stats App for a fantasy comp for an Australian sport!

The retina support was kinda shoehorned in though because of a deadline which I already passed. Will properly update it early next month.

LCfiner

I exclusively read e-books with a black background and white text, people think I am crazy cause it's not book-like. Fuck that traditionalist shit!

My girlfriend is talking about getting a Tablet, and she's seen me gush over the Transformer Prime, and has liked the widgets/live backgrounds stuff - but I've been trying to convince her to get an iPad. She has a macbook pro and an iPhone4, so it probably would be a more comfortable OS to her, I'd rather she have something she likes more than something I like.

Is there any particular extra functionality she will get out of having an all mac ecosystem? Like some sort of power-rangers megazord thing going on?

it's still early days but I'd say the iCloud stuff is big. bookmarks synced across devices (this summer, open tabs in safari will be synced between devices). icloud document sharing and push, itunes match syncing of music. photo stream across devices.

plus universal apps for ipad/ iphone. buy once - run on multiple devices.

consistent UI and experience between devices. (no confusion about what a back button does in one OS vs another)

seems like a no-brainer for me to go ipad if someone already owns a mac and iphone.

Yeah, the decisions is really personal. I find the iPad gets too "heavy" after a while to read while laying in bed and the kindle is much more portable with the smaller size. Although generally I have both with me. When on a beach or anyplace that has a chance of getting sun reflection I always use the Kindle (obviously)

I think all my devices (Droid, iPad, Computers) have the Kindle app/web app for reading though.

I'll still prefer to read on my Nook Simple Touch when I can, but I have the Nook app on my iPhone and will on my iPad for times I'd want to read on them, like low light or in the dark.

Not in my opinion.

But I think the Mac *laptop* experience is a superior laptop experience without question. If portability and battery life are chief concerns, anyway. It was for me. My 17" MBP give me good power and performance, light weight (relative to other 17" laptops), thinness, superior trackpad, unibody construction...and all with 6-8 hours of real battery life. There were other laptops that had a better screen (Elitebook, Precision), and/or beefier GPUs (Asus Stealth, Elitebook, Sager)...but they all meant 2 hour batteries at best, an extra few pounds and a significantly thicker device.

I have no comment about Mac desktops because I don't have one...but if you want a laptop that brings quad core cpu's + mid-level GPUs along with all the previously mentioned positives and a battery that will last all day, get a MBP and never look back. If you don't need the battery life, I'd recommend going with an Elitebook or Precision.

oh, and with regards to the battery that is not user-replacable: my MBP is a year old now. it's still at 99% capacity.

giga

it's still early days but I'd say the iCloud stuff is big. bookmarks synced across devices (this summer, open tabs in safari will be synced between devices). icloud document sharing and push, itunes match syncing of music. photot stream across devices.

plus universal apps for ipad/ iphone. buy once - run on multiple devices.

consistent UI and experience between devices. (no confusion about hat a back button does in one OS vs another)

seems like a no-brainer for me to go ipad if someone already owns a mac and iphone.
And additionally…

- You can use the same usb to dock connector cable and charger.
- iMessages sync across devices
- Reminders sync across devices.
- Notes sync across devices.

I tried that when I first got an iPad 1 and it looked like the text was floating. Couldn't read that way. Sepia is much easier on my eyes for extended periods of time.

Case arrived from Amazon. Now I just need something to fill it with.

Cheebo

Banned
iCloud is a huge huge plus. Basically if you have a Mac and/or iPhone and want a tablet it'd make little sense to get anything but iPad due to iCloud unless you badly wanted an Android or something.

A Houston Apple store leaked an announcement stating they'd be opening at 8:00am on Friday to sell the iPad. They updated Safari today with a bunch of fixes too, but still haven't addressed the memory leaking. I have a feeling Apple thinks the memory devouring by Safari is a feature.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Which is great, because that would be a total waste of power. Even 1024x768 is unnecessary really. To hell with Retina for 3D games. The iPad 3 would be doing well running Call of Duty 4 at console quality, which was 1024x600. It doesn't need to be any better. People need to stop thinking about native res games. The next generation of home consoles will rarely push half the pixels... why the hell are you expecting it on this?

Retina is for sharp text, sharp 2D stuff. That's all.
Not native resolution imagery on an LCD looks like shit. That's what it comes down to.

With the high DPI it won't be as severe, but 1024x768 is not adequate for a device being held so close to your face.

I'm not convinced that the iPad would actually be able to deliver something like Call of Duty even at 1024x600 at 60 fps.

I think the Vita serves as a pretty good indicator of what to expect from iPad. It has basically the same GPU and two extra cores on the CPU while running at 960x544 max with direct hardware access capabilities for developers. So, with the iPad running at a minimum of 1024x768 for 3D games without direct hardware access I'd expect that we won't even be seeing Vita level visuals and performance this generation. The next iPad is what will likely deliver that.

I was just reading through the beginnings of the iPad 2 thread and man, this is (so far) such a better managed launch than that one was. I can't believe they didn't take preorders last time around.

I was just reading through the beginnings of the iPad 2 thread and man, this is (so far) such a better managed launch than that one was. I can't believe they didn't take preorders last time around.

Yeah, that was dumb. Now if you're Apple you get the best of both worlds. You have the news showing footage of Fedex delivering tons of iPads and you get the news showing huge lines of people waiting to buy one in-store. How envious other hardware makers must be.

Ok, so I was thinking of getting a polyurethane smart cover for my new iPad. But then I was checking out J&R.com and noticed that they were selling leather smart covers for as low as 49.99. So what do you think, GAF? Should I get a leather cover over a polyurethane one?

Here's the link:

http://www.jr.com/product/productListing.jsp?Ntt=smart+cover

49.99 is about 40 dollars more than I'd ever spend on one of Apple's smart covers. There's infinitely better options out there that cost a fraction of what Apple charges and they protect more of your iPad. I don't mind paying the Apple Premium tax for hardware, but not for their accessories. Check out Amazon.com and read reviews from real users of the numerous iPad case/covers to get an idea of what works well and what doesn't.

Zeth

If they're really opening in the morning for the retail release that means I would have to skip sleeping to get in line at 4am or earlier. I'll probably just stick with waiting on my delivery. I haven't seen an early morning Apple retail release since iPhone 4. Was the 4S like that too?

x-Lundz-x

OK current iPad users have a question for you regarding iBooks versus the Kindle App.

These features you are talking about, Sepia and Night Mode etc..., is that functionality only in iBooks? Also, are there any additional enhanced features that comes with buying books from iBooks instead of getting the Kindle version?

I would like to keep all my e-book purchases through Amazon Kindle unless iBooks is really that much better. I guess I'll find out for myself this Friday.

SolidPain

Neo Member
lol ok. I had a couple of things delivered by them in the past and I was always able to track them. On another note, I'm looking for a case and I need it on or before Friday. I was thinking of getting something like the incase one, but I'm not sure if it will fit the new iPad. What I think I will do is to get a cheap cover from amazon and when I will be back from my trip (3 weeks later) I will be able to find good cases for the new iPad.

epmode

49.99 is about 40 dollars more than I'd ever spend on one of Apple's smart covers. There's infinitely better options out there that cost a fraction of what Apple charges and they protect more of your iPad. I don't mind paying the Apple Premium tax for hardware, but not for their accessories. Check out Amazon.com and read reviews from real users of the numerous iPad case/covers to get an idea of what works well and what doesn't.
Can you recommend anything? I really like the design of the Smart Cover. ..except for how it doesn't cover the back at all. I was looking into a separate plastic cover just for the back but I'd appreciate any all-in-one cases. As light as possible while still providing decent protection.

Top Bottom