• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

DasRaven

OK current iPad users have a question for you regarding iBooks versus the Kindle App.

These features you are talking about, Sepia and Night Mode etc..., is that functionality only in iBooks? Also, are there any additional enhanced features that comes with buying books from iBooks instead of getting the Kindle version?

I would like to keep all my e-book purchases through Amazon Kindle unless iBooks is really that much better. I guess I'll find out for myself this Friday.

The Kindle app has had a white text on black background mode (called Black) and Sepia since launch (or at least since I got it for my iPhone). The iBooks app just got night mode in the iOS5 update.

tokkun

I believe there was a GAF thread when the study came out.

Searched for 'e-ink', 'e-reader', 'strain'; no dice.

So I decided to do my own (secondary) research:

In 2000, a study in Industrial Ergonomics showed that light reflection and polarization played a large role in eye fatigue. Their results show that glossy screens are more likely to cause fatigue than matte screens.

In 2004, a study published at International Display Workshops found no difference in eye fatigue between e-ink and printed paper.

In 2006, a study from Duke University published in Radiation Imaging Physics argued that one cause of eye strain is from a process called luminance adaptation (this may not be the primary source for this theory). In a nutshell, it suggests that using an LCD in a dimly lit room causes eye strain by this mechanism. LCD's in brightly lit rooms (or ambiently lit screens like e-ink) would not cause strain by this mechanism.

A 2009 study published in Displays showed no statistically significant difference in subjective reports of eye fatigue among 48 participants when comparing two different e-ink displays to paper; this study also compared resolutions of 800x600 and 640x480 and showed that although visual performance increased (finding a specific symbol in a string of letters), there was no effect on eye fatigue. This suggest that "Retina" displays probably won't make much difference in terms of fatigue.

I did not find any studies that compared e-ink to LCD for eye fatigue.

Based on what I did find, I would tend to believe that e-ink devices would cause less eye fatigue than the iPad for the following reasons:

1. e-ink devices always use ambient lighting, so there is no luminous adaptation required.
2. e-ink devices use matte screens, whereas the iPad uses a glossy screen.

It does seem that you can accommodate your iPad use to mitigate these effects if you only read in brightly lit rooms and position yourself to minimize screen reflections.

Still, I would be interested to see an actual study comparing the two technologies head-to-lead using identical lighting conditions and tests that were more akin to the practical application (i.e. reading a chapter of a novel).

OK current iPad users have a question for you regarding iBooks versus the Kindle App.

These features you are talking about, Sepia and Night Mode etc..., is that functionality only in iBooks? Also, are there any additional enhanced features that comes with buying books from iBooks instead of getting the Kindle version?

I would like to keep all my e-book purchases through Amazon Kindle unless iBooks is really that much better. I guess I'll find out for myself this Friday.

I honestly can't think of a feature iBooks could offer that is more important than having the ability to read your books on almost any platform.

iBooks sucks for mainstream books. It lacks the selection of Amazon/BN and limits you to only reading them on Apple devices. Sepia started with the Kindle app, not iBooks. Avoid buying books from Apple unless you absolutely have to.

Can you recommend anything? I really like the design of the Smart Cover. ..except for how it doesn't cover the back at all. I was looking into a separate plastic cover just for the back but I'd appreciate any all-in-one cases. As light as possible while still providing decent protection.

I can only recommend the one I'm currently using: This one

I got it because it's:

1- light
2- protects the entire device without sacrificing access to any of the inputs/buttons/cameras
3 - is cheap but very well made
4 - retains the magnet-based functionality of the official Apple covers (turns on/sleeps the iPad when opening and closing

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I was just reading through the beginnings of the iPad 2 thread and man, this is (so far) such a better managed launch than that one was. I can't believe they didn't take preorders last time around.

I think the reason for that was because of the tsunami in Japan, which caused shortages in chips used by the iPad 2. That's why there was no preorder back then.

e_i

Since we're on iBooks...does iBooks support unprotected epub books? Can I put my own epubs and read them in iBooks.

Cheebo

Banned
iBooks is generally considered the better application. You can actually turn pages like real pages. It includes far more advanced book organization and collection organization tools. And has multipe fonts to choose from.

As an app iBooks blows the Kindle app out of the water.

kagete

My Fedex tracking numbers for my 2 orders (one for me+gf) are still not showing any results despite me getting the shipment email on Saturday.

I'm scared :(

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm definitely concerned about speed with this thing. I'm really not yet convinced that the GPU is going to be strong enough to push such a high resolution effectively. I expected more muscle behind this. 2048x1536 is no joke.

I'm positive a lot of 3D applications will have to rely on upscaling and I fear that framerates and general performance of even just the UI will suffer.

Nah, wasn't iPad 2 a 7x increase in gpu? So iPad 3 is 14x iPad 1. That should be plenty for general use.

Infinity blade 3 might need to compromise but I think iPad 1 res upscaled would be fine for the kind of game that would benefit from more polys and more shaders rather than resolution

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Why do people in this thread think they are getting their device before friday? Is this your first apple product launch? Rarely do people get items before their in store release. Apple don't play that.

I wish they'd deliver Thursday. As it is you'll get it sometime during Friday, which is later than many buying at retail.

iBooks is generally considered the better application. You can actually turn pages like real pages. It includes far more advanced book organization and collection organization tools. And has multipe fonts to choose from.

As an app iBooks blows the Kindle app out of the water.

I'm buying books, not an app though. The ability to read my books on any device/computer that I want trumps any advantages the iBooks app has.

x-Lundz-x

The Kindle app has had a white text on black background mode (called Black) and Sepia since launch (or at least since I got it for my iPhone). The iBooks app just got night mode in the iOS5 update.

I honestly can't think of a feature iBooks could offer that is more important than having the ability to read your books on almost any platform.

iBooks sucks for mainstream books. It lacks the selection of Amazon/BN and limits you to only reading them on Apple devices. Sepia started with the Kindle app, not iBooks. Avoid buying books from Apple unless you absolutely have to.

Great, thanks for responses guys. I can't wait to check this out on Friday.

I think the reason for that was because of the tsunami in Japan, which caused shortages chips used by the iPad 2. That's why there was no preorder back then.

Unless Apple was able to predict tsunamis a year ago, there is no way that is true. The tsunami hit Japan on March 11th--the same day the iPad 2 released.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
What's a good place to look for iPad case reviews? Macrumors has an entire forum dedicated to accessories but the users seem so neurotic I feel like I'm visiting AVS for TV advice

I'm buying books, not an app though. The ability to read my books on any device/computer that I want trumps any advantages the iBooks app has.
Not if you couldn't care less about other devices or reading books on your desktop, laptop, toaster, fridge etc.

The one big flaw of iBooks is book selection, which sucks at the moment. If Apple fixes this someday, I will gladly jump into the e-book reading bandwagon.

Until this happens, I'll be sticking to real books. I don't plan to waste money supporting crappy tech like e-ink.

Not if you couldn't care less about other devices or reading books on your desktop, laptop, toaster, fridge etc.

The one big flaw of iBooks is book selection, which sucks at the moment. If Apple fixes this someday, I will gladly jump into the e-book reading bandwagon.

Until this happens, I'll be sticking to real books. I don't plan to waste money supporting crappy tech like e-ink.

Huh? Just use the kindle app on the iPad if selection is your concern.

My grandfather has stacks and stacks of books overflowing in his house. When he picked up the iPad on my recommendation he was incredibly relieved to no longer have to carry around so many books in his travels.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
My Fedex tracking numbers for my 2 orders (one for me+gf) are still not showing any results despite me getting the shipment email on Saturday.

I'm scared :(

It is going to sit at Fedex for a few days until the 16th anyway. I am in the same boat as you with the tracker. But then again the Fedex tracker has something that I got delivered to me on Friday still on the truck.

Want a reason to go iBooks over Kindle App? iBooks has already updated for retina. Who knows when Amazon will update.

Which is true for now. Most of the books I want to read I already have in .txt format. Plan is to just upload the files into iTunes and make some directories.

The iPad Is Unbeatable (Slate article): http://www.slate.com/articles/techn...y_parallels_its_unbeatable_ipod_success_.html

I thought this was an interesting look at things, sorry if posted already.

pretty good read.

IMO, the more powerful certain applications get, the scarier tablets will become. Limitations on productivity/output are a function of the limited features of the core productivity applications that I've seen on the platform (like iWork).

If MS ever releases Office for tablets...with near-full or full features of their desktop counterparts...the laptop market will become very interesting indeed. Looking at all the apps I have installed, and outside of Adobe, Visual Studio and Office stuff, I do nothing productive on my computers. Pro-grade software Adobe stuff will probably never be doable with resistive touchscreens...but fully-appointed Office and Visual Studio on tablets would be huge.

Want a reason to go iBooks over Kindle App? iBooks has already updated for retina. Who knows when Amazon will update.

unless Amazon is interested in losing sales, that app is being given all manner of attention right now.

Question, Do Apple Smart covers fold all the way behind the iPad so I can still lay it flat on a table? Interested in getting Incipios hard cover case but i'm not sure if the smart covers will fold over the back with a hard case attached to it.

Tobor

Selection in the iBooks store is still an issue for you guys? They've had every book I wanted to buy this past year. /shrugs

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Does Best Buy get these in on release day? I want to buy one there because I'm on the DE border - no sales tax.

Cheebo

Banned
As for the book selection issue, while Amazon has more of a selection iBooks is constantly improving. When I have a book I want to read thats on Amazon but not iBooks (far more rare now then last year) I just buy it on my Macbook and format it into a epub and send it to iBooks.

Yes I have to go through the process of changing the kindle book to epub but it is worth it for the far superior reading experience and options that iBooks provides.

acksman

And my iPad is on its way. Tracking number just updated it left Memphis with standard overnight shipping. Looks like I am a go for the 16th at the latest delivery.

x-Lundz-x

See, now you make me undecided again about what to do lol. I'm about to buy The Way of Kings this week and I want to take advantage of that retina display!

As for the book selection issue, while Amazon has more of a selection iBooks is constantly improving. When I have a book I want to read thats on Amazon but not iBooks (far more rare now then last year) I just buy it on my Macbook and format it into a epub and send it to iBooks.

Yes I have to go through the process of changing the kindle book to epub but it is worth it for the far superior reading experience and options that iBooks provides.

Can you use Calibre to do this for books purchased from Amazon or only unprotected files?

giga

Text doesn't need to be "updated for retina" in apps. That's already handled by the system. Only low res rasterized graphics need updating by the dev.

But if one does care about typography, iBooks' font selection is much better than the Kindle app.

Cheebo

Banned
Text doesn't need to be "updated for retina" in apps. That's already handled by the system. Only low res rasterized graphics need updating by the dev.

But if one does care about typography, iBooks' font selection is much better than the Kindle app.

I don't get why Kindle doesn't have the option for changing font. It seems like such a small thing but it makes a huge difference. Being able to pick out your own font for your books is a great little tool.

Can you use Calibre to do this for books purchased from Amazon or only unprotected files?

You have to download software that can remove DRM (plenty of free software out there) first but it's pretty simple.

Soybean

Speaking of which, it's odd that you can just pick any font you want. It's good to give the user control, but it seems like authors would want to set a typeface appropriate to whatever they're presenting.

Says the fan attached to devices that suck hairy monkey balls when it comes to reading comics, magazines and reading without a light :)

Because actual comics, magazines and books are great without light? I personally dont read comic books, so that's not an issue, but my daughter reads a lot of books that have pictures and those are much better on the iPad than on the Kindle. The Kindle, however, is far superior for my "mainstream" books.

ParityBit

See, now you make me undecided again about what to do lol. I'm about to buy The Way of Kings this week and I want to take advantage of that retina display!

Kindle is not device specific either. The iPad gets heavy when you want to read for an extended amount of time. With the Kindle reader that never happens. And you can read your books on both devices! Plus your phone or through the web app at your machine. At some point soon the Kindle App will be updated too, so the Retna thing will be a moot point.

Of course, this decision is all up to you :) I just know I love my reading situation. Kindle on the beach/bed/night/day (With a slip light). iPad if I am on the couch and just feel like browsing a book for a bit, or read a magazine.

ParityBit

Mine is still processing. I ordered Friday night. I wonder how accurate this is. Granted I have an iPad 2, so it's not supper pressing. Although my wife may say otherwise. Haha.

Personalized iPad with Wi-Fi 64GB - Black (3rd generation)
Ships: by March 19
Delivers Mar 19 via Standard Shipping

Question, Do Apple Smart covers fold all the way behind the iPad so I can still lay it flat on a table? Interested in getting Incipios hard cover case but i'm not sure if the smart covers will fold over the back with a hard case attached to it.

Smart covers can fold behind the iPad, or fold up into two different positions to allow for typing or video viewing.

Always go with the solution that provides you the most reading options. And right now that's Amazon. iBooks may be a better app in some regards, but it doesn't have enough plusses to counter Amazon's huge advantage of a much larger library and a much larger array of options on which to read your purchases. I also doubt that Apple has a means by which you can let people borrow your books, but if they do I'll gladly stand corrected.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
My iPad is sitting a couple hours away from my house just parked in a FedEx warehouse...waiting patiently to be picked up and taken to me for maximum enjoyment.

Blah!

LCfiner

woo woo. ipad just shipped. only bummer is that it’s UPS. I don’t know what time the UPS guys come around my neighbourhood

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
So I called my apple store to find out what the deal is with online preorders for in store pickup they said I should be able to show up any time during the day on friday. There will be a separate line.

xWlFP.jpg

railGUN

Banned
Mine still hasn't shipped, but I don't expect it to arrive on the 16th anyways - more like the 19th or 20th. That's the price you pay for living in a small town in the mountains of BC.

Top Bottom