• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
So I called my apple store to find out what the deal is with online preorders for in store pickup they said I should be able to show up any time during the day on friday and there will be a separate line for those.

Only problem is that even pre-order people are crazy queuers. You can bet your ass that pre-order folks will still end up waiting an hour or so to get their iPad once the doors open unless you queue early...

...its this weird game where you try and line up as late as you can but still as early in the day as you can so minimize your time in line and maximize your time using your new iPad. I'd say getting there an hour after the doors open would be the best time for pre-order in-store pickups folks.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Only problem is that even pre-order people are crazy queuers. You can bet your ass that pre-order folks will still end up waiting an hour or so to get their iPad once the doors open unless you queue early...

...its this weird game where you try and line up as late as you can but still as early in the day as you can so minimize your time in line and maximize your time using your new iPad. I'd say getting there an hour after the doors open would be the best time for pre-order in-store pickups folks.

I plan on going later in the day. I'm assuming that will be ok LOL. I'm not that concerned about getting it early.

Friday probably wont be the best day to visit an Apple store...or the Cheesecake Factory next door. But damn those chicken pot stickers are tasty.

RubxQub

Friday probably wont be the best day to visit an Apple store...or the Cheesecake Factory next door. But damn those chicken pot stickers are tasty.

If you want to infuriate a bunch of line-queuers the day of the launch, walk up to the front of the line when the doors open and say you aren't there for an iPad, you just want to check out the headphones or something.

Everyone will see what appears to be a guy cutting massively in-line. I remember everyone losing their minds when some guy showed up for tech support assistance and appeared to have hopped the queue.

If you want to infuriate a bunch of line-queuers the day of the launch, walk up to the front of the line when the doors open and say you aren't there for an iPad, you just want to check out the headphones or something.

Everyone will see what appears to be a guy cutting massively in-line. I remember everyone losing their minds when some guy showed up for tech support assistance and appeared to have hopped the queue.

I may do that, holding my new iPad because I need "assistance" when actually I'm just there to buy accessories or something :p

Zeth

My iPad is sitting a couple hours away from my house just parked in a FedEx warehouse...waiting patiently to be picked up and taken to me for maximum enjoyment.

Blah!

I think that' the case with a lot of people, myself included. Anyone want to raid the Middletown, PA FedEx facility with me?

RubxQub

I think that' the case with a lot of people, myself included. Anyone want to raid the Middletown, PA FedEx facility with me?

That's where mine is as well (Philly GAF, here). I swear, I should just drive over there and be like "Hey, I've got a package here, can I just pick it up?" Depending on who's working there we may just be able to convince them to let the shipment go early or something if we sign for it straight then.

Oh man that would rule...

...but I'm sure someone has already thought about doing this and it failed for some reason.

Avixph

So I called my apple store to find out what the deal is with online preorders for in store pickup they said I should be able to show up any time during the day on friday. There will be a separate line.

How do you do online preorders for in store pickup?

RubxQub

Why do you guys seem to hate the white iPads and iPhones?

It's all about the bezel of your iPad acting as a window into your virtual world. With a black bezel, your video is just being projected on an absence of space that you hold in your hands...like a floating projection from another dimension.

When you hold the white iPad it's like you're holding a shitty picture frame made by a preschooler. It's near vomit inducing.

White is right.

plc268

About ipad case. Ipad 2 are compatible
With new ipad? Thx

Smart covers, yes. Actual cases? Maybe. Stuff like those leather folios might work, but anything made out of hard plastic or the sort probably won't because the new ipad is a few mm thicker.

I remember when iPad 2 launched, I wanted a white one so bad. By the time I got one, I chose black and went with black again for the 3rd gen iPad.

I love the white iPod touch and iPhone, though. Awesome look to those devices.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I fucking love white elegant electronics like my PSP-2000 and white iPhone 4S. I remember being in Best Buy after the iPad 2 came out and generally liking the white one more.

Salmonax

I don't hate them. But I use my iPad for so much movie and show viewing that having a big white border around the screen doesn't any more sense for me than having a TV with a white bezel.

The white models came out later, so I think many associate them with scarcity and newness. Or maybe they just like white. Whatever makes people happy.

Cheebo

Banned
I had a black iPad 1 (obviously), went with white for 2 since it was new. Went back to black for 3 mostly since I assumed most pre-ordering would go white and I wanted to not risk not being able to get the new iPad day one.

I think from I have seen from responses it seems to do with personal comfort. I personally think it hinders the window of information having white while someone else said it enhances it for them. I think its personal preference.

ParityBit

I think from I have seen from responses it seems to do with personal comfort. I personally think it hinders the window of information having white while someone else said it enhances it for them. I think its personal preference.

I agree. The black border (to me) makes the screen have so much more pop.

tokkun

I like white devices; have a white PSP and DS. But the iPad (especially with the new screen) is a device I want to watch movies on, and because of the aspect ratio Apple chose for iPhone and iPad, that means big black bars around any widescreen content. White bezel around black bars doesn't look good. Black bezel blends in.

It's preference for most people.

I went with a white ipad to go with my white 4S. To me, the white bezel actually is so easy to ignore while watching/reading something for long periods of time. Plus I prefer the look of white electronics overall - mostly due to hating how fingerprints show up on black glossy plastic (or glass in the case of the iphone).

Weenerz

Banned
I have a white iphone 4s and a white ipad2, probably going to jump back to black for the new ipad and iphone 5, just because I got over the whole "It's a white electronic!" phase.

Based on past launches, how rare are 64GB WiFi versions on day one? I recall the 16s and 32s always being in short supply, whereas the 64's were easier to come by, probably due to the price tag.

There's nothing remotely distracting about the bezel on the ipad (to my eyes). It came down to an issue of aesthetics. I prefer white Apple products over black (I prefer chrome over white).

Based on past launches, how rare are 64GB WiFi versions on day one. I recall the 16 and 32's always being in short supply, whereas the 64's were easier to come by.

The highest capacity model will always be "easier to come by" simply because they cost more. I mean, a $499 iPad sounds great, but people start to bail when the number approaches $800.

Eventually demand overcomes this obstacle, but I definitely remember 64GB models being available in lesser known locations day one for the first iPad, and with the second 64GB models were always in the Apple Store nightly restocks.

I'd imagine 3G/4G to be even rarer (hey, most expensive model) but it's the same argument either way.

Based on past launches, how rare are 64GB WiFi versions on day one? I recall the 16s and 32s always being in short supply, whereas the 64's were easier to come by, probably due to the price tag.

Based on the iPad 1 launch, you will be able to go into any store on day one and pick up any version you want. Based on the iPad 2 launch, you won't be able to find any version in stores for weeks. Hope that helps.

MercuryLS

Banned
There's nothing remotely distracting about the bezel on the ipad (to my eyes). It came down to an issue of aesthetics. I prefer white Apple products over black (I prefer chrome over white).

I don't like how white isn't used all the way through on the iPad. The 3G/4G strip is still black, the buttons are still black. Lack of follow through.
With the iPhone, it's white all the way through.

unfortunately, that is simply not true.

the white does, wether you want it or not, take away from the contrast of the screen.

Based on the iPad 1 launch, you will be able to go into any store on day one and pick up any version you want. Based on the iPad 2 launch, you won't be able to find any version in stores for weeks. Hope that helps.

I appreciate the help, but that's really not true. It took me a few weeks to get my hands on the 32GB WiFi model back in the day.

The highest capacity model will always be "easier to come by" simply because they cost more. I mean, a $499 iPad sounds great, but people start to bail when the number approaches $800.

Eventually demand overcomes this obstacle, but I definitely remember 64GB models being available in lesser known locations day one for the first iPad, and with the second 64GB models were always in the Apple Store nightly restocks.

I'd imagine 3G/4G to be even rarer (hey, most expensive model) but it's the same argument either way.

This sounds about right to me. I put in my order online, but if I track one down on Friday, I'll just cancel the order.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I fucking love white elegant electronics like my PSP-2000 and white iPhone 4S. I remember being in Best Buy after the iPad 2 came out and generally liking the white one more.

Also the white Nintendo DS Lite was pure sex when it first came out:

nintendo-ds-lite-games-image.jpg

I don't like how white isn't used all the way through on the iPad. The 3G/4G strip is still black, the buttons are still black. Lack of flow through.
With the iPhone, it's white all the way through.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind if the entire device (including the back) was either white or black.

Top Bottom