• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

It's the opposite when you load up a web page.

Yeah, for certain tasks, I think the white works well, webbrowsing being one of those. I like the look of the home screen with the white bezel, too. Photos and movies look great with black. Guess people just need to buy one of each.

Is it just me or is the buzz for this new iPad really low compared to the iPad 2's release?

Preorders are completely sold out.

People will go nuts for the device when the actually see the screen. Hard to convey a huge retina display when the computer monitor and TV they are viewing the ads on are of less resolution than the iPad itself.

I think it will sell better than the iPad 2 but I think the iPad 2 had more excitement around it because it was the 2nd Generation of a product that just proved its value.

It's the opposite when you load up a web page.
I disagree. Depending on the ambient light, the white bezel can appear quite yellowish, which is nothing like the pure white of a webpage. There was never an occasion during my white iPad 2 ownership where I thought 'ooh, the bezel is really blending in nicely there'. Whereas when I swapped it for a black one, that thought struck me almost every day.

Well no. I see it being discussed in the tech circles. But there's no fevered pitch of enthusiasm that is normally expected of a new Apple product launch.

I feel like Apple is better prepared this generation by having more units available and this thing not already being backordered by a month is causing you to extrapolate.

Well no. I see it being discussed in the tech circles. But there's no fevered pitch of enthusiasm that is normally expected of a new Apple product launch.

Wait until Wednesday/Thursday. What may be contributing to your perception of no buzz is that many people including myself already have a preorder. Therefore we are now rather impatiently waiting. Once it gets in people's hands this thread will explode.

What would you expect to see that you're not seeing at this juncture?

I suppose more news coverage? Perhaps a bit of word of mouth? Quite a few of my friends who are normally interested in a new Apple launch have let this one slip by, or simply don't understand how much the resolution is improved. But I suppose that'll change when people see their friends carrying it around.

Wait until Wednesday/Thursday. What may be contributing to your perception of no buzz is that many people including myself already have a preorder. Therefore we are now rather impatiently waiting. Once it gets in people's hands this thread will explode.

Yeah that's probably it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Think I'm narrowing the choice of cases

Smart cover plus incipio smart feather

Or

Incase magazine

Or possibly the one of the griffin folios, but I don't like when the bezel is covered up

Cheebo

Banned

It crashed Apple's online store. That didn't happen for iPad 2. It sold out much faster than ipad 2 online as well.

Is it just me or is the buzz for this new iPad really low compared to the iPad 2's release?
Are you sure you are not talking about the iPad 1 launch? Because you could argue that there wasn't much excitement for it. I was able to just walk in and purchase one at 6pm on launch day.

If you're referring to iPad 3... yeah no. There are already people waiting in line for it.

Oh yeah, also there were no pre-orders for the iPad 2. Not that many people panicking like before.

Weenerz

Banned
Gonna try my luck after work Friday, I get off at 6:30pm eastern, ugh. Are any other retailers selling them that day? Wal-mart, best buy, etc.

I still can't decide what case to get! so many to choose from. I need to head to a best buy and just look at it up close to find the right one.

firstworldproblems.

Cheebo

Banned
Are you sure you are not talking about the iPad 1 launch? Because you could argue that there wasn't much excitement for it. I was able to just walk in and purchase one at 6pm on launch day.

If you're referring to iPad 3... yeah no. There are already people waiting in line for it.

Oh yeah, also there were no pre-orders for the iPad 2. Not that many people panicking like before.

Yeah the lack of preorders last time caused a lot more insanity to put it mildly. If you wanted one day 1 you had to rush around like a mad man. Now 90% of us placed an order and don't have to worry.

Tobor

I'm debating what time to show up for my red carpet in store pickup "only winners allowed" line. What do you guys think? Sleep late and roll up whenever since my order is secure? Or get there crazy early and party with the people?

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I'm debating what time to show up for my red carpet in store pickup "only winners allowed" line. What do you guys think? Sleep late and roll up whenever since my order is secure? Or get there crazy early and party with the people?

I'm most likely going to roll in late.

iPhone 4 launch put me off in-store pick up. I pre-ordered the thing the second it was available, and I still had to get there (Irvine Spectrum) super early and even then I didn't get phone until around 4pm.

Zeth

I don't quite agree, but it might be that we're now just seeing the best device get better, while some people want or expect a substantial redesign (which is unnecessary when you're already doing everything right IMO).

I think it will sell better than the iPad 2 but I think the iPad 2 had more excitement around it because it was the 2nd Generation of a product that just proved its value.

This is probably the case. We're now seeing the iPad improve and settle in to its place, but the excitement is still there. You can bet that a major portion of buyers this week will be getting their first iPad.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν

I don't like these guys. They rate stuff like the Otterbox as a crazy good product which instantly makes them suspect.

The ratings are true if all you care about is function...and not form. May be all some people are interested in. Not this guy.

I don't quite agree, but it might be that we're now just seeing the best device get better, while some people want or expect a substantial redesign (which is unnecessary when you're already doing everything right IMO).

This is probably the case. We're now seeing the iPad improve and settle in to its place, but the excitement is still there. You can bet that a major portion of buyers this week will be getting their first iPad.

First time buyer here.

It's all about the bezel of your iPad acting as a window into your virtual world. With a black bezel, your video is just being projected on an absence of space that you hold in your hands...like a floating projection from another dimension.

When you hold the white iPad it's like you're holding a shitty picture frame made by a preschooler. It's near vomit inducing.

White is right.

I dunno. Had the black ipad 1. LOVED the white ipad 2. There's something about the iPad 2 white that looks so clean. It always brightens my mood. That, and there's NO confusing it with teh shitty imitators. This ain't no Galaxy Tab or Sony tablet. The white iPad feels (and i know this is such a tool thing to say) it FEELS like art, while the black feels like awesome sexy tech. I know, I've totally had too much of the Kool Aid. However as a guy who had the Ipad 1, went to iPad 2, sold it because I thought that the Kindle Fire might be 'as good' as a cheaper alternative, then PAINFULLY learning my lesson, I finally get why apple is top of the food chain. The iPad kicks ass, and the white iPad feels totally apple.

I loved doing the line for the iPad 2.

It was fun hanging with the people in the line, yet i decided to have this one delivered to me...

I couldn't take the day off work :(

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I dunno. Had the black ipad 1. LOVED the white ipad 2. There's something about the iPad 2 white that looks so clean. It always brightens my mood. That, and there's NO confusing it with teh shitty imitators. This ain't no Galaxy Tab or Sony tablet. The white iPad feels (and i know this is such a tool thing to say) it FEELS like art, while the black feels like awesome sexy tech. I know, I've totally had too much of the Kool Aid. However as a guy who had the Ipad 1, went to iPad 2, sold it because I thought that the Kindle Fire might be 'as good' as a cheaper alternative, then PAINFULLY learning my lesson, I finally get why apple is top of the food chain. The iPad kicks ass, and the white iPad feels totally apple.

Damn

Tobor

iPhone 4 launch put me off in-store pick up. I pre-ordered the thing the second it was available, and I still had to get there (Irvine Spectrum) super early and even then I didn't get phone until around 4pm.

That was a reservation, I did that launch as well. This should be different in theory.

First iPad for me. Prior to this, I've been using various family members' iPads.

And finally, while Apple's Smart Cover also is works just fine with the iPad 3, I haven't included any back-only covers that are designed to be paired with the Smart Cover. Several companies, including Speck, Belkin, and Incipio make nice, slim back-only covers, and they're all pretty similar.
Most important part of the article for me. I shall be sticking with my Smart Cover and near-invisible rear shell combo. The idea of hiding such a slick product underneath a full case, particularly after they teamed it with such a great, instantly-removable cover, makes me shudder.

Blackhead

Redarse
I don't like these guys. They rate stuff like the Otterbox as a crazy good product which instantly makes them suspect.

The ratings are true if all you care about is function...and not form. May be all some people are interested in. Not this guy.

Uh no. They don't rate Otterbox 'crazy good'. Their reviews cover both form and function and take into account that some products are designed particularly for one feature to the exclusion of the others. In you bothered to read any of their reviews you'll clearly see this ethos reflected in the text. If you only looked at the letter grade, well, I'd suggest you also look at the reviews ratings explanation:

B
B+ and B grades are awarded to very good and good products - ones that we recommend to large but specific audiences. At the flat B level, we consider a product to be one that we would tell our friends are worth considering, with some modest caveats. A B- grade indicates a product that has a few medium to large issues that crimp its appeal, and qualifies for our limited recommendation. We recommend a B- product only to a niche of people who really need its functionality.

OtterBox Defender Series Case for iPhone 4/4S

Many iPhone cases start with the same concepts: simpler, thinner, and lighter are better. Of course the fact is that there is a negative correlation between those qualities and just how protective the case is. iPhones break in the right -- or wrong -- circumstances, even if encased. OtterBox was one of the first companies to take the opposite approach of over engineering for enhanced protection. Their iPhone 4 model in the Defender Series ($50) is the latest offering. Griffin has recently stepped up the plate as well, offering Survivor ($50) as a direct competitor. The two are undeniably protective, as both companies demonstrate with videos on their respective websites. Practicality in everyday use may be questionable, but for those who are involved in high impact activities -- or are just really clumsy -- both provide a good way to keep the iPhone 4 safe and avoid a trip to the Genius Bar...

B+ Recommended

Reviews: OtterBox Utility Series Latch for iPad + iPad 2

I like iLounge because their coverage is exhaustive and their reviews aren't overbearingly focused on their own preferences; iLounge usually provides enough information for the reader to make his/her own decision on the value proposition of a product. iLounge also provides very useful overviews of the third party ecosystem around
Apple products industry (e.g. the yearly Buyer's Guide) and anybody buying their first iPad would do well to read their The Complete Guide to iPad Cases and Protection to get a sense of what type of protection would be best for them
none

I don't like Otterbox as much as you do but it's churlish to not agree that it is a good product for some people.

vehn

How early should one go to Best Buy and pick one up this Friday? I remember the ipad1 launch I went in at like 1 and got one right away

Top Bottom