• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I would buy the otter box for iPad 3 if it didn't have a built in screen protector... Makes it useless to me :( - I settled on a hard candy convertible case because it was the closest to the iPad case apple released.

Actually 99% of the cases I find are trash. Either they have terrible designs, have one odd feature that is a no buy, or don't give me the feeling the iPad is well seated within the case

It's really damn irritating...

As boring as it sounds, I'll probably just rebuy my CEO Hybrid if Marware isn't just trying to pull more money out of me by saying the 2 doesn't fit the new iPad. It isn't an exact snap-on like some other cases, but, we'll see. I don't think they could have actually tried it themselves anyway, nobody has actual product yet.

SuperPac

I think it will sell better than the iPad 2 but I think the iPad 2 had more excitement around it because it was the 2nd Generation of a product that just proved its value.

I remember the iPad 2 was initially thought not to be enough of an upgrade and many people doomed it to failure in the tech press. I feel like there's more excitement pre-release this time because of the retina.

EDIT: 64GB black wifi + 4G Preparing for shipment finally yay!

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Sleeve or Folio, Sleve or Folio, what do I get. I really like the feel of using a device naked.

Do people generally find the stands on folios really useful?

Hoo-doo

Banned
Sleeve or Folio, Sleve or Folio, what do I get. I really like the feel of using a device naked.

Do people generally find the stands on folios really useful?

Absolutely, the ability to prop it up anywhere is a huge plus, I find.
Especially when watching content in bed, or when it's standing on the kitchen counter when cooking, for facetime, etcetera.

blackflag

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I figured out I want a folio case with no nasty bezel covering, or a smart cover/rear combo. Shortlist (might have to wait for ipad 3 versions of some of these)

- Incipio smart feather + Apple Smart cover. Pro - could buy smart cover now, wait for new rear.
frQaa.jpg

- speck smart cover. has a strip on the back which the smart cover will stick to when open, avoiding it dangling loose
pW3QP.jpg

- Incipio lexington. Simple folio style, looks slim, and bezel clips are very discreet. Might be a little bulky but not as much as the padded leather folios
http://www.incipio.com/new-iPad-Cases/Incipio-new-iPad-Lexington-Hard-Shell-Folio-Case.asp

- maroo roto II. Nice padded leather folio. Little thicker than others but looks very smart. a few different colours and designs available
xONmb.jpg

- incase convertible magazine jacket
http://goincase.com/products/detail/convertible-magazine-jacket-cl57779

Chris R

I think I'm going to go with this

http://www.incipio.com/new-iPad-Cases/Incipio-new-iPad-Lexington-Hard-Shell-Folio-Case.asp

this

http://www.case-mate.com/The-new-iP...-The-new-iPad-Signature-Leather-Slim-Case.asp

or this

http://www.iskin.com/ipad2/aura/

Knowing me, I'll be buying 5 or 6 cases, then returning the inferior ones. I don't like making decisions based off pictures.

I'd stay away from Incipio... my MBA sleeve's leather is looking pretty ragged after not too much time at all. I'm not throwing my MBA around either, just general use. Not that high of quality (but what could I expect paying so little for it).

Hmm I really don't know what kind of case to get for my first ipad. I'm thinking something slim that covers the back and has a smart cover type front. Trying to decide between

Incase Magazie Jacket
http://goincase.com/products/detail/convertible-magazine-jacket-cl57779

Marware Microshell Folio
http://www.marware.com/microshell-folio-case-for-the-new-ipad

Speck PixelSkin HD Wrap
https://www.speckproducts.com/tablet-ipad-cases/ipad-2-cases/pixelskin-hd-wrap-for-ipad-2.html

Targus Slim
http://www.targus.com/us/productdetail.aspx?regionId=7&sku=THD006US&PageName=for%20Mac%20Cases%20&%20Accessories%20by%20Targus%20USA&productCategoryId=-1&bucketTypeId=194&searchedTerms=&navlevel1=products&cp=&bannertxt=for%20Mac%20Cases%20%26%20Accessories

Sigh, decisions decisions. I guess I'm "lucky" that my reorder is coming on the 23rd, have an extra week to decide :/ Still need to decide what to do with the 16gb wifi I'll be getting on the 16th. Wonder if its work reselling...

I figured out I want a folio case with no nasty bezel covering, or a smart cover/rear combo. Shortlist (might have to wait for ipad 3 versions of some of these)

- Incipio smart feather + Apple Smart cover. Pro - could buy smart cover now, wait for new rear.
frQaa.jpg
The Incipio smart feather was one of the first rear shells to support the the Smart Cover, and in my opinion, they got it wrong. It locks onto the Smart Cover, essentially turning the Smart Cover into a fixed case, which is exactly what it isn't.

The Nuu BaseCase and few others got it right. Rear shell, gap for Smart Cover but totally unrestricted so that you can use the Smart Cover as intended.

japtor

Your feelings when you realize all of those digital copies of movies you bought are all in SD?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Assuming you got those with Blu-Rays, get a BD drive and rip the movies.
I'm not sure we've had that question answered yet.

Unfortunately, I suspect we won't be able to - Apple doesn't want to give lazy developers incentive to make only an iPhone version of their app and have that sell perfectly well on the iPad instead of making a fully iPad-optimized version. Which does make sense, but RetinaPad is still better for end users.
iPhone retina apps will still have to be pixel doubled on the new display so they'll still be a lesser looking experience.
The Incipio smart feather was one of the first rear shells to support the the Smart Cover, and in my opinion, they got it wrong. It locks onto the Smart Cover, essentially turning the Smart Cover into a fixed case, which is exactly what it isn't.

The Nuu BaseCase and few others got it right. Rear shell, gap for Smart Cover but totally unrestricted so that you can use the Smart Cover as intended.
I got the Monoprice TPU one recently, it's a full back cover but you can cut the material up to fit the Smart Cover. I just cut notches for the pivoting pieces so it's like the Incipio one (locks in place), but it's flexible enough that you can pull the "locking" edge out to yank off the Smart Cover without removing the rear case.

hyp

Ah thanks, going through it now.

it's a brilliant device for music production. I do about 75% of my production on it now and the future is only going to get brighter. IMO it's the future of certain music making. and yes, that thread rocks.

Heel

I think I'm going to pick up the back cover by SofShell when they make one for the new iPad. It looks really well designed. It's made for the smart cover and has a lip around the front in case you drop the iPad on it's face. The lip has a notch so you can open the smart cover easily.

Video of it here.

OTyKw.jpg

I got the Monoprice TPU one recently, it's a full back cover but you can cut the material up to fit the Smart Cover. I just cut notches for the pivoting pieces so it's like the Incipio one (locks in place), but it's flexible enough that you can pull the "locking" edge out to yank off the Smart Cover without removing the rear case.
Why would you want it to lock to the rear shell at all? That's what the magnets are for...

noah111

Still Alive
Heel, that seems too thick. I remember seeing some amazingly thin and low profile full shell covers that were transparent and thin enough that you could barely tell they were there, yet offered basic protection.

I think I'm going to pick up the back cover by SofShell when they make one for the new iPad. It looks really well designed. It's made for the smart cover and has a lip around the front in case you drop the iPad on it's face. The lip has a notch so you can open the smart cover easily.
Again, makes no sense to have any kind of thing to hold the Smart Cover. In the video he shows how you can hold it up by the Smart Cover.... you can do that with just the magnets. There should just be a gap.

Sentry, look at the Nuu BaseCase.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

speck smartshell then? Looks like you can remove the smart cover when needed, plus it has a magnet to hold the smart cover open when you're reading for a while, which I think would be useful.

Leaning towards a smart cover/rear combo now - pick up the smart cover this week, then wait for rear covers to be redone for the ipad 3

Heel

Heel, that seems too thick. I remember seeing some amazingly thin and low profile full shell covers that were transparent and thin enough that you could barely tell they were there, yet offered basic protection.

I'm just really afraid of dropping it face first and shattering the thing. I have a case with a lip like that for my phone and it's saved me at least a dozen times. I guess you wouldn't drop an iPad as easily as a phone, though...

Would a smart cover save an iPad from shattering if you drop it face first?

stupei

Okay, I've never needed to do this before but I'm sure there's probably an app for it, so figured I'd ask GAF.

I have transcripts of interviews in my dropbox and want to read them during my commute and possibly highlight or annotate as I go. I guess in theory I could make them pdf and there are definitely apps I'm aware of that are designed for that, but I'd prefer to leave them as easily editable text formats if possible. Has anyone done something like this and if so which app have you found most useful?

speck smartshell then? Looks like you can remove the smart cover when needed, plus it has a magnet to hold the smart cover open when you're reading for a while, which I think would be useful.
Yeah that looks ok.... seems a tad thick though. The Nuu seems thinner... plus I prefer the way it is cut around the top and bottom. The Speck one looks to offer a tad more protection, but I don't like the look of all those cut-outs.

I'd stay away from Incipio... my MBA sleeve's leather is looking pretty ragged after not too much time at all. I'm not throwing my MBA around either, just general use. Not that high of quality (but what could I expect paying so little for it).
understood. I'll scratch them off the list. since the signature slim is out of stock, I'll be ordering the iSkin Aura 2 and the Tuxedo. not sure which color tuxedo, though. hmmm. probably orange or black.

Am I the only person considering the Canvas cover from Switcheasy?

b.jpg

Supports the magnetic on/off & folds like a smart cover, molded closure for the back and looks pretty cool (well I think so).

Just waiting to see an official release saying it supports (they did this with their iphone 4 cases) the new ipad.

japtor

Why would you want it to lock to the rear shell at all? That's what the magnets are for...
Less paranoia when hanging the iPad by the cover. It's a fine connection with the magnets alone for that, but any little bump or shake is enough to break the connection.

(I actually got it as an experiment as much as anything else to see if it'd actually work, I was buying some other stuff on Monoprice and just tacked it on cause it was cheap)
Looks similar the (~$3) Monoprice one...same chunkiness too. Well no notch but anything can be done with a knife or scissors.
Would a smart cover save an iPad from shattering if you drop it face first?
Possibly if it landed the right way, there's too many variables. A lip might save it or might not, although it probably has better odds.

...of course the best odds would be AppleCare+.

Less paranoia when hanging the iPad by the cover. It's a fine connection with the magnets alone for that, but any little bump or shake is enough to break the connection.
Very true, but I'd argue that is the ideal. I mean, the magnets were carefully chosen to be that level of strength so that it snaps on well enough, and doesn't take too much force to remove. There's no reason to actually hang the iPad by the cover... unless you're doing that bizarre fridge magnet thing.

b.jpg

Supports the magnetic on/off & folds like a smart cover, molded closure for the back and looks pretty cool (well I think so).

Just waiting to see an official release saying it supports (they did this with their iphone 4 cases) the new ipad.

wow, it looks almost exactly like this one (from the back):

http://www.ifrogz.com/product/IPADU-SUM

I had one with a hook like that. I makes it easy to open, but when held with your right hand (like if you're reading a book, with the cover all the way back), that hook sticks up and makes it almost impossible to hold with your right hand.

I might suggest giving that ifrogz version a closer look, as it has a similar design style, but without the closing hook thing.

wow, it looks almost exactly like this one (from the back):

http://www.ifrogz.com/product/IPADU-SUM

I had one with a hook like that. I makes it easy to open, but when held with your right hand (like if you're reading a book, with the cover all the way back), that hook sticks up and makes it almost impossible to hold with your right hand.

I might suggest giving that ifrogz version a closer look, as it has a similar design style, but without the closing hook thing.

It does look pretty cool actually. Kinda wish it wasn't just the back that came in colors, though it is a nice touch.

Avixph

b.jpg

That looks great I might consider purchasing the red one.

Heel

Again, makes no sense to have any kind of thing to hold the Smart Cover. In the video he shows how you can hold it up by the Smart Cover.... you can do that with just the magnets. There should just be a gap.

Sentry, look at the Nuu BaseCase.

I understand that, but there's a difference between wanting scratch protection and fall protection. The lip isn't to hold the smart cover, its so it doesn't fall on the glass if you drop it.

Nuu BaseCase looks nice and lightweight if you're only worried about scratches on the back.

EDIT: Looks like the Nuu BaseCase doesn't even let you use the smart cover as intended anyway, haha.

It does look pretty cool actually. Kinda wish it wasn't just the back that came in colors, though it is a nice touch.

for clarification purposes, I have circled the part of the case I was talking about before:

33946381.jpg

When the cover is opened all the way such that it is flat against the back of the tablet, that hook sticks out and makes it awkward to hold with your right hand. been there, done that and won't do it again. That little red piece probably doesn't help matters either. I advise caution because of that, but if you like the case go for it.

That looks great I might consider purchasing the red one.

see the above commentary and tread cautiously.

Chris R

understood. I'll scratch them off the list. since the signature slim is out of stock, I'll be ordering the iSkin Aura 2 and the Tuxedo. not sure which color tuxedo, though. hmmm. probably orange or black.

I'll take a picture when I get home. It isn't a terrible sleeve by any means, just seems like it wouldn't perform well with heavy usage.

railGUN

Banned
Are there any good DJ turntable apps for the iPad? I have an app on my iPhone called "Flare" that is amazing at reproducing vinyl scratching, but it looks like they don't have a version of it for the iPad (they have another app but it doesn't look to have good reviews). I'm looking for something that mimics 1 (or preferably 2) turntables, with a fader, and draws the music / samples from iTunes / music on the iPad.

Avixph

for clarification purposes, I have circled the part of the case I was talking about before:

When the cover is opened all the way such that it is flat against the back of the tablet, that hook sticks out and makes it awkward to hold with your right hand. been there, done that and won't do it again. That little red piece probably doesn't help matters either. I advise caution because of that, but if you like the case go for it.

see the above commentary and tread cautiously.
Can't you cut that tab of?
If not then can you suggest a similar looking one without that tab?

kr2t0s

for all you 1st time iPad buyers...may i make a suggestion?

Don't buy a case right away. Hang out with your iPad for a day or and only then if you feel you need a case - buy one.

Screen protectors, skins, cases, blah blah really do make this amazing machine ugly and heavier. I would rather have a few scratches on the back then endure some of the things I see being suggested in this thread.

I'm sure most of you will tell me how much you need one but I promise you that 90% of the time you don't.

for all you 1st time iPad buyers...may i make a suggestion?

Don't buy a case right away. Hang out with your iPad for a day or and only then if you feel you need a case - buy one.

Screen protectors, skins, cases, blah blah really do make this amazing machine ugly and heavier. I would rather have a few scratches on the back then endure some of the things I see being suggested in this thread.

I'm sure most of you will tell me how much you need one but I promise you that 90% of the time you don't.
tbh, that was excellent advice for the first iPad when there were only a couple of cases...maybe even the second one since the shape changed a bit...but at this point, companies aren't making radical new designs. iPad 2 cases work for the most part with the iPad 3. There will be a few new models, but waiting is unnecessary now in year 3.

Top Bottom