• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

dojokun

Banned
for all you 1st time iPad buyers...may i make a suggestion?

Don't buy a case right away. Hang out with your iPad for a day or and only then if you feel you need a case - buy one.

Screen protectors, skins, cases, blah blah really do make this amazing machine ugly and heavier. I would rather have a few scratches on the back then endure some of the things I see being suggested in this thread.

I'm sure most of you will tell me how much you need one but I promise you that 90% of the time you don't.

I was back and forth about whether or not to have a case on my iPad 1. I ended up going with a relatively thin rubber case from Incase, but that was mostly for grip rather than protection.

Don't buy a case right away. Hang out with your iPad for a day or and only then if you feel you need a case - buy one.

Screen protectors, skins, cases, blah blah really do make this amazing machine ugly and heavier. I would rather have a few scratches on the back then endure some of the things I see being suggested in this thread.

I'm sure most of you will tell me how much you need one but I promise you that 90% of the time you don't.
It's a fair argument, but then I'm planning to get an iPad 4 for very little cash by selling this on in as-new condtion as I did with my iPad 2. This was only achieved by attaching a rear shell as soon as it came out of the box.

Avixph

I appreciate the suggestion, but no thanks I want to be able to sell it just in case I want to purchase the following generation ipad.

tokkun

It's a fair argument, but then I'm planning to get an iPad 4 for very little cash by selling this on in as-new condtion as I did with my iPad 2. This was only achieved by attaching a rear shell as soon as it came out of the box.

Once you subtract off the cost of the shell and screen protector, how much more money do you make compared to an iPad 2 in very good condition?

blackflag

Well, I'm debating a screen protector because my iPad 1 screen got scratched up. I really didn't care, but with that increased resolution, I'd like to keep the screen scratch free.

Once you subtract off the cost of the shell and screen protector, how much more money do you make compared to an iPad 2 in very good condition?
I'm sure it varies, you can get lucky or unlucky on eBay, but I felt much more confident that I'd get a good price for my iPad 2 because it had absolutely no scratches. If there were scratches, I might have been tempted to hold on to it for this gen. So yeah... for me it's a seller's confidence thing. And this time round I'm keeping the same Smart Cover, and I might get away with the same rear shell too, so potentially no investment required!

Soybean

I just use a Smart Cover and a skin from BestSkinsEver.com (more or less the same as Zagg InvisibleShield) on the back. I don't even need the skin, but part of me is still anal about scratches I guess.

I have a Portenzo case and it's super cool looking, but too thick and bulky. I had this idea that I'd want to stealthily use my iPad in public, but I stopped caring about that once I saw iPads everywhere. Plus, I wasn't fooling anybody anyway.

blackflag

I just use a Smart Cover and a skin from BestSkinsEver.com (more or less the same as Zagg InvisibleShield) on the back. I don't even need the skin, but part of me is still anal about scratches I guess.

I have a Portenzo case and it's super cool looking, but too thick and bulky. I had this idea that I'd want to stealthily use my iPad in public, but I stopped caring about that once I saw iPads everywhere. Plus, I wasn't fooling anybody anyway.

How easy are those to put on without bubbles and how does the screen feel while using it? I'm horrible at applying screen protectors but I need something like that.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Smart cover is all I need. I sold my iPad 2 in top condition, and all I used was a smart cover, nothing on the back. If anything I may grab a Timbuk2 sleeve to slip it in when I travel, but I didn't have one for my 2. :p

jts

...hate me...
Can you guys recommend a remote desktop app that I can use to access my MBP outside of my home network?
Splashtop is what I use and it works pretty great. It's supposed to carry sound too, although I never had success with it (never tried too hard tbh).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Smart cover is all I need. I sold my iPad 2 in top condition, and all I used was a smart cover, nothing on the back. If anything I may grab a Timbuk2 sleeve to slip it in when I travel, but I didn't have one for my 2. :p

is the back of the ipad scratchy? that is, is it prone to scratch furniture like glass or wood tables? I'm less worried about the ipad getting scratched than our furniture.

is the back of the ipad scratchy? that is, is it prone to scratch furniture like glass or wood tables? I'm less worried about the ipad getting scratched than our furniture.
It's very smooth and wouldn't scratch anything by itself. The concern would be more about if a bit of grit got in between the two surfaces. That would probably scratch both the iPad and your table.

paparazzo

I'm seriously considering getting one of these since I'd like to get back into reading but I have some questions.

1. How is the selection of the bookstore? Are books priced well?

2. How well does the Kindle app look and run?

3. Would 16 GB be big enough if all I really do is read books, browse the internet and not much else?

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated. And yeah, I know I should have preordered last Wednesday but I only just realized I'd have a use for it.

I'm seriously considering getting one of these since I'd like to get back into reading but I have some questions.

3. Would 16 GB be big enough if all I really do is read books, browse the internet and not much else?

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated. And yeah, I know I should have preordered last Wednesday but I only just realized I'd have a use for it.

1 - iBooks bookstore is awful. But you also have access to the far superior Amazon and BN bookstores via their iPad apps. So as an iPad owner your selection is basically the best.

2 - Looks and runs great. Much of what the Kindle app does well, iBooks copied and made better. iBooks is the better app, but unfortunately as mentioned it's connected to a bad store and obviously if you buy from Apple you're forever limited to Apple products to read them on, whereas BN/Amazon books are readable on just about any device you buy.

3 - 16 would be overkill for doing just those things. So you'll be fine.

I'm also wondering about the magazine selection, I was looking at the selection on iTunes/newstand and the selection seems quite bare

Yeah, but keep in mind some magazines are their own app and aren't part of Newstand.

I can't really answer your first question, but I'd say they are priced competitively. The Kindle app used to link directly to amazon, but then they took that funcionality away (possibly at Apple's request?) and instead made a browser-based version.... I didn't really understand, but it seemed good otherwise. Maybe that's been sorted now... As it's all text-based, it probably doesn't need much of a retina update either, but I imagine iBooks will be slicker for a while.

And yeah, 16GB is enough for just books and browsing. But beware... the iPad will suck you in to other things...

japtor

Are there any good DJ turntable apps for the iPad? I have an app on my iPhone called "Flare" that is amazing at reproducing vinyl scratching, but it looks like they don't have a version of it for the iPad (they have another app but it doesn't look to have good reviews). I'm looking for something that mimics 1 (or preferably 2) turntables, with a fader, and draws the music / samples from iTunes / music on the iPad.
djay? It's one of the more expensive apps but it appears to work well, even has external hardware support.
The wait was about that long for the first two generations. It took a few months, before you could casually stole in and be guaranteed to get one.
Yeah this, the guy asked about getting one without waiting in line. They get restocked regularly but people stand in line to get the restocks. If you don't want to wait in line you just have to get lucky with it...or just live in an area where most people dont' give a damn.
If you just read regular books (and not the fancy new stuff with a bunch of media) then yeah. The fancy ones can get pretty huge but regular books are just a bunch of text and some formatting code so they're relatively compact.

Tobor

1 - iBooks bookstore is awful. But you also have access to the far superior Amazon and BN bookstores via their iPad apps. So as an iPad owner your selection is basically the best.

2 - Looks and runs great. Much of what the Kindle app does well, iBooks copied and made better. iBooks is the better app, but unfortunately as mentioned it's connected to a bad store and obviously if you buy from Apple you're forever limited to Apple products to read them on, whereas BN/Amazon books are readable on just about any device you buy.

3 - 16 would be overkill for doing just those things. So you'll be fine.

Yeah, but keep in mind some magazines are their own app and aren't part of Newstand.

Can you give me some examples of books that are missing in the iBooks store right now. When was the last time you looked at the iBooks store?

Cheebo

Banned
iBookstore has nearly everything the Kindle app does. About a year ago iBooks was far weaker but they are basically equal now for most books.

As for the app. iBooks is retina, Kindle isn't. iBooks has multiple fonts to choose from, Kindle has 1 default you can't change. iBooks has way more options for book collection management and organization. You can actually turn pages on iBooks books, you can't with kindle.

iBooks basically blows Kindle out of the water in usability.

ParityBit

iBookstore has nearly everything the Kindle app does. About a year ago iBooks was far weaker but they are basically equal now for most books.

As for the app. iBooks is retina, Kindle isn't. iBooks has multiple fonts to choose from, Kindle has 1 default you can't change. iBooks has way more options for book collection management and organization. You can actually turn pages on iBooks books, you can't with kindle.

Can't use iBooks on any device like you can the kindle books can you?

I've been considering combining a clear back cover with a smart cover, but I've heard that the smart cover's magnets tend to scratch the iPad, which is making me wary of getting one... Is this common?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I've been considering combining a clear back cover with a smart cover, but I've heard that the smart cover's magnets tend to scratch the iPad, which is making me wary of getting one... Is this common?

The magnets and the hinge leave marks on the Ipad, but the marks wipe right off. Not an issue.

Tobor

Anyway, enough about cases. It's time to discuss bags, because you're going to want to carry your new iPad around with you.

Here's mine, it's the best iPad bag you can buy, IMO:

8b644b7b.jpg

The Cadet by Tom Bihn.

Why is it so awesome? It comes with an iPad sleeve attached via rails so it can slide in and out without ever being detached from the bag. Perfect for running your bag through the Airport scanners.

cadet27.jpg

The sleeve fits the iPad with smart cover, no problem, and is very well protected inside the bag. It's a super high quality man purse...I mean briefcase.

The Cadet receives our highest rating, 5 Tobors!

TKR92

hmm, I've never heard about that.
Not happened to me, when I used it for iPad 2.

iBooks is retina, Kindle isn't.
They'll need to update the icons and background etc, but the text, unquestionably the most important part of the app, should automatically be retina quality already.

And no doubt it'll be updated very quickly regardless. I'm expecting within the first two weeks.

The way it sharply snaps on made me concerned too, but after months of use there wasn't a single mark on mine.

They'll need to update the icons and background etc, but the text, unquestionably the most important part of the app, should automatically be retina quality already.

And no doubt it'll be updated very quickly regardless. I'm expecting within the first two weeks..
The BG assets have been built for months.

It's what kicked off the iPad retina rumor in the first place...

Can you give me some examples of books that are missing in the iBooks store right now. When was the last time you looked at the iBooks store?

From a quick glance (I dont currently have an iPad, so I needed to use iTunes) Hunger Games Trilogy appears to be missing.

Hunger Games!

Actually, in all seriousness I need to read the series for teaching purposes and wanted to get the iBooks version. Not there :(

That's the only example I think. Everything else I need is on there, thankfully.

The only usability an avid reader cares about is the ability to read their books wherever and whenever. Just not possible if you lock yourself into Apple's books. That's the biggest knock against iBooks, and unfortunately it's the worst knock possible. You can put all the bells and whistles you want in the app, but if I can't read my books on an Android or MSFT phone/tablet, thpfft.

Tobor

The only usability an avid reader cares about is the ability to read their books wherever and whenever. Just not possible if you lock yourself into Apple's books. That's the biggest knock against iBooks, and unfortunately it's the worst knock possible. You can put all the bells and whistles you want in the app, but if I can't read my books on an Android or MSFT phone/tablet, thpfft.

Can you fix your quote? I didn't say that.

vehn

Can you have 1 iTunes account (and all of your apps) on two iPads at once? Want to hold off selling my iPad1 until I know I can go into a store and get a 3 this Friday

Soybean

How easy are those to put on without bubbles and how does the screen feel while using it? I'm horrible at applying screen protectors but I need something like that.
I don't use the screen protector, only the back. I would never recommend a screen protector for the iPad or iPhone. They completely ruin the feel of the screen.

The film is easy to apply, though. It's not hard to push the bubbles out. Just use plenty of water.

Had the Khomo Dual Case for my iPad 2, and I'll probably wait for their update before I get one for my 3rd gen.

It's a smart cover attached to a back shell, $20 at amazon, snaps in snug.
KHOMO-DUAL-CASE-Polyurethane-Smart-Cover-FRONT---Hard-Rubberized-Poly-carbonate-BACK-Protector-for-Apple-iPad-2.jpg

Soybean

This is crazy. Both apps display predominantly text, so they'll benefit from Retina almost equally. Fonts and the page animations are preferences. My ideal would be for the author/publisher to set the font to the same as the printed version, but otherwise the Kindle font is fine. I have no need or desire for superfluous page animations.

Can you fix your quote? I didn't say that.

Not sure how that happened. Yeesh. Talked to my wife, who is the avid reader and she pointed out that the major differences are in free books and cheap books that apparently Amazon themselves publish for the authors. I'm more of a Stephen King/George RR Martin reader so I'm pretty much covered on all services. Except now I'm noticing how stupidly priced eBooks are. The first 4 books of the Game of Thrones series are 30 bucks on iBooks/Kindle and 18 bucks retail. Not sure if they're trying to drive consumers away from e-books or not, but pricing like that wont help. Same appears to be true for the Hunger Games collection.

Also not sure what Cheebo means when he says you can't turn pages on the Kindle app. When I had my iPad 1 the Kindle app had an on/off switch in options to enable page turn animations.

Top Bottom