• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

These cases seem decent, but I don't know if I'd want a case made by Targus... (Lol @ lazy Photoshops)

Slimcase
Case7.png

Slim-M-Angle.png

Vuscape

elfinke

Anyway, enough about cases. It's time to discuss bags, because you're going to want to carry your new iPad around with you.

Here's mine, it's the best iPad bag you can buy, IMO:

[/IMG]http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb83/Tobor_bucket/8b644b7b.jpg[/IMG]

The Cadet by Tom Bihn.

Why is it so awesome? It comes with an iPad sleeve attached via rails so it can slide in and out without ever being detached from the bag. Perfect for running your bag through the Airport scanners.

[/IMG]http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb83/Tobor_bucket/cadet27.jpg[/IMG]

The sleeve fits the iPad with smart cover, no problem, and is very well protected inside the bag. It's a super high quality man purse...I mean briefcase.

The Cadet receives our highest rating, 5 Tobors!

Nice, I've been waiting for conversation to come around to this. The covers are nice and all but I'm far more concerned with ease of transportation. And by that I mean replacing my aging Playstation satchel with a custom built satchel for an iPad. Yours looks like a good bit of gear.

paparazzo

Alright thanks guys. Just tried the Kindle app on my iPhone and it definitely isn't as as sleek as the iBooks app but does have somewhat better selection. Guess I could just get a Kindle for reading but I've always hated the gray screen. Guess I'm getting an iPad, when I can anyway.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Alright thanks guys. Just tried the Kindle app on my iPhone and it definitely isn't as as sleek as the iBooks app but does have somewhat better selection. Guess I could just get a Kindle for reading but I've always hated the gray screen. Guess I'm getting an iPad, when I can anyway.

I own both and will take my Kindle DX screen for reading any day of the week. Retina display has me intrigued though.

I'm seriously considering getting one of these since I'd like to get back into reading but I have some questions.

1. How is the selection of the bookstore? Are books priced well?

2. How well does the Kindle app look and run?

3. Would 16 GB be big enough if all I really do is read books, browse the internet and not much else?

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated. And yeah, I know I should have preordered last Wednesday but I only just realized I'd have a use for it.

I own a Nook Simple Touch and use the Nook app the most, but have tried all the bookstores so I'll try and give you an unbiased opinion.

1. By sheer numbers, the iBook Store has a lot fewer books than the Kindle or Barnes and Noble store, but if you are into reading books that aren't super obscure, chances are they'll have it to purchase in iBooks.

2. The Kindle app (or the Nook app for that matter) look and run just fine. They both do what's most important which is allow you to read books on your iPhone or iPad. iBooks is the best looking app of the three. The advantage of the Nook and Kindle apps is being able to read your books on multiple devices outside of the Apple universe. If you only want to read on an iPad or iPhone by all means iBooks will be perfectly fine.

3. 16 gb will be plenty for what you are looking to do.

I know that there are differing opinions about with e-book app is the best or what people should use, but I think they all have their advantages and disadvantages. My suggestion would be to download iBooks, Kindle, and Nook apps and get some of the free samples that all the bookstores offer. Play around a little bit with all three and figure out which one is right for you.

Tobor

Nice, I've been waiting for conversation to come around to this. The covers are nice and all but I'm far more concerned with ease of transportation. And by that I mean replacing my aging Playstation satchel with a custom built satchel for an iPad. Yours looks like a good bit of gear.

It's an expensive bag, but very much worth it. It has the attention to detail I look for in Apple products. Rubber sealed gaskets for the zippers, a microsuede pocket for your iPhone in the front, a magazine pouch on the back that unzips to slide down on a luggage handle...You get the idea. Lol.

I know that there are differing opinions about with e-book app is the best or what people should use, but I think they all have their advantages and disadvantages. My suggestion would be to download iBooks, Kindle, and Nook apps and get some of the free samples that all the bookstores offer. Play around a little bit with all three and figure out which one is right for you.

Well said. This is the best advice.

Whew got my shipping confirm for Friday morning.

As far as ebooks apps...iBooks is clearly the best design, but if you're really paranoid about DRM and portability neither Amazon or iBooks are the best idea when there are other sources like Kobo. I guess Amazon US pricing is good though?

I just loaded up the Kindle app on the iphone and the iBooks app. I much prefer the Kindle app. It loads instantly whereas it took a good 5-10 seconds to for iBooks to populate the bookshelf with my 8 books.

And just to make sure I wasn't crazy, I turned on the page-turn animation and it's definitely there on Kindle app and its just as nice. Both offer the ability to change font sizes (Kindle doesnt have multiple fonts though...not that I care to be honest), app-independent brightness, and background colors. I'm not seeing any way to delete a book I read (archive) from iBooks and then download it again directly from the app. It might be there somewhere, but I'm missing it. Books are in the Cloud so I assume it's there.

mrkgoo

Can you give me some examples of books that are missing in the iBooks store right now. When was the last time you looked at the iBooks store?

In New Zealand, there are NO books that aren't public domain. Oh wait, there's that Yellow Submarine one.

I would say there's not much of a chance of parity with Amazon, but to be honest, I haven't looked at the Amazon situation of ebooks for NZ.

Cheebo

Banned
I just loaded up the Kindle app on the iphone and the iBooks app. I much prefer the Kindle app. It loads instantly whereas it took a good 5-10 seconds to for iBooks to populate the bookshelf with my 8 books.

And just to make sure I wasn't crazy, I turned on the page-turn animation and it's definitely there on Kindle app and its just as nice. Both offer the ability to change font sizes (Kindle doesnt have multiple fonts though...not that I care to be honest), app-independent brightness, and background colors. I'm not seeing any way to delete a book I read (archive) from iBooks and then download it again directly from the app. It might be there somewhere, but I'm missing it. Books are in the Cloud so I assume it's there.

Kindle app does not have page-turning. You cant grab the edge of a page and pull it like a real page.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
ROFL my mom got her smart cover in the mail today and hates it already. I told her to wait until Friday to give it a shot, but looks like the hunt for a case is on.

Kindle app does not have page-turning. You cant grab the edge of a page and pull it like a real page.

Of course you can. I just did it.

Directly from the Kindle App instructions:
Page Turn Animation: Page turning is animated. If you wish to disable this feature, tap the "i" icon on the Kindle home screen and select the Page Turn Animation from the Settings options on the Info screen.

I doubt not being able to read books on a laptop is a deal breaker for 99% of users.

And the Kindle app is garbage.

No, it's actually not garbage. Who said anything about laptops? Phones. Laptops. Tablets. etc etc. All devices people can download a Kindle app to and read. It's a huge advantage Amazon has over everyone except BN, who also has apps for most devices.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Ack!

Ordered a Smart Cover last night and now reading how bad it is.... Shouldve researched more I guess. Might return and buy something else

Smart covers are the best way to use the iPad. You can take it off completely when using, and it keeps the screen protected when not. (IMO)

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
How well do remote desktop apps to windows PCs work? Would be nice to be able to use my iPad at work in meetings when away from my pc...

you'll probably get a lot of recommendations for splashtop, i tried it, it not only didnt work as advertised it was kind of rubbish.

You have to have specific ports on your firewall open to remote into your PC from outside your network, IE i'm at home and wanted to remote into my work PC. Not to mention you have to install a client on your PC to even "RDP" into it, i use quotes because its not RDP if you have to install a client to use it. Sorry im not going to open up ports for my entire company just so i can remote into my PC.

For internal use i use Wyse pocket cloud, you can do RDP or VNC with it, i have multiple servers setup with it and my desktop PC. And external use i use logmein, great freaking app. I have access to all my computers through my login, i can still use my free subscription with it. I can even transfer files from one PC to another without even remoting into either of them. No ports or firewall settings necessary. It. just. works. I can even do it from my phone over the 3g connection.

Cheebo

Banned
Of course you can. I just did it.

No, it's actually not garbage. Who said anything about laptops? Phones. Laptops. Tablets. etc etc. All devices people can download a Kindle app to and read. It's a huge advantage Amazon has over everyone except BN, who also has apps for most devices.

It does it automatically which isn't the same thing. iBooks lets you grab the page like real paper and fold it and lift it part way. You are using the iPad app right? It doesn't work on iPhone because the screen is too small for page manipulation.

It does it automatically which isn't the same thing. iBooks lets you grab the page like real paper and fold it and lift it part way.

I'm doing it on my iPhone right now. I control the page animation with my finger, backwards and forwards, just like with iBooks. If I touch the right side of the screen and pull to the left, the page slowly starts following my finger. Just like iBooks. I don't have an iPad at the moment to test that, but I'd be surprised if it weren't the same on iPhones as it is on iPads.

Cheebo

Banned
I'm doing it on my iPhone right now. I control the page animation with my finger, backwards and forwards, just like with iBooks. I don't have an iPad at the moment to test that, but I'd be surprised if it weren't the same on iPhones as it is on iPads.

See you are confusing the animation with what iBooks does on iPad. On iBooks for iPad you can grab a corner of a screen and literally pull the page over, part way, back and forth, bend it, etc like a real page of the book. It isn't an animation.

See you are confusing the animation with what iBooks does on iPad. On iBooks for iPad you can grab a corner of a screen and literally pull the page over, part way, back and forth, bend it, etc like a real page of the book. It isn't an animation.
No, you don't understand! They are the same thing, just like other tablets are just like the iPad!!!!

;)

ParityBit

Yep, Kindle app does that also now.

I'm doing it on my iPhone right now. I control the page animation with my finger, backwards and forwards, just like with iBooks. If I touch the right side of the screen and pull to the left, the page slowly starts following my finger. Just like iBooks. I don't have an iPad at the moment to test that, but I'd be surprised if it weren't the same on iPhones as it is on iPads.

I just turned on page turn animations for Kindle for iPhone, and I can confirm it works just like it does in iBooks.

No, you don't understand! They are the same thing, just like other tablets are just like the iPad!!!!

;)

Cool, another person to ignore. Grow up.

Trust me, I'm not confusing anything. It's literally the same as iBooks. Well, almost the same. On iBooks it appears I need to use the corner of a page to do it whereas Kindle allows the animation backwards and forwards anywhere on the side of the page.

sfedai0

Banned
lol are you guys really debating which reader app is better based on page turning animation? iPad cant get here soon enough.

This is probably kind of random and definitely nerdy but I have the Witcher 2 digital art book on my current iPad and i'm really looking forward to seeing how it looks on the mucher higher resolution display.

lol are you guys really debating which reader app is better based on page turning animation? iPad cant get here soon enough.

No, personally I don't care. He's listed it on at least two occasions now as one of the big advantages iBooks has over Kindle. I personally like that I can turn the animation off.

ParityBit

This is probably kind of random and definitely nerdy but I have the Witcher 2 digital art book on my current iPad and i'm really looking forward to seeing how it looks on the mucher higher resolution display.

Oh cool. Hw is that and where did you get it? I plan on getting the game for my 360 as soon as I finish mass effect 3!

I like the Kindle app mainly for the reason mentioned, I have an Android phone and read my kindle books on it sometimes.

Yep. There are millions of people that own Kindle e-readers. They read their Kindle books on them. These people also own phones. Some of them Android. Many of them iPhones. A lot of them own tablets. Some of them Android-based. Some iOS-based. And they and their children can read their Kindle books on every single one of those devices seamlessly (as long as they're connected to wifi/3g/4g). The biggest advantage possible when it comes to ebooks.

Deft Beck

Anyone else not charged yet? I bought on announcement day and it has even shipped. Oh well, I'm sure they'll figure it out someday

Mine hasn't changed from "preparing for shipment". The arrival date is still the 16th, though.

I wonder what's happening here? Others have had theirs shipped, and they ordered after the 7th...

blackflag

Mine hasn't changed from "preparing for shipment". The arrival date is still the 16th, though.

I wonder what's happening here? Others have had theirs shipped, and they ordered after the 7th...

Oh mine shipped, I just mean they haven't charged my bank account for it yet.

SuperPac

Mine's in the same boat. Still preparing for shipment. I wouldn't worry about it though - if it says it'll deliver on the 16th then it will one way or another. I think my iPad 2 last year was preparing for shipment until the day before it was supposed to arrive, still got there on time.

sfedai0

Banned
Since we're talking about books, I most likely will be using Kindle because that's where I started on the OG Ipod Touch. I dont even think Apple had their own bookstore at that point. But I still wish there was some way to port over books from one reader app to another.

Top Bottom