• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

no_to_co

Ugh, page turning. More skeuomorphic crap. Pretty much the only thing I don't love about Apple.

Eh, it's part of the whole experience. They seem to care for every little thing and it shows. It might not be in a feature you appreciate, but it is in another feature you like. Works for me.

Ugh, page turning. More skeuomorphic crap. Pretty much the only thing I don't love about Apple.

I don't mind the page turning nearly as much as the fake book border. Pagination-with-turns has some important advantages over pure scrolling (or scrolling-with-pagination).

But yeah, it's a big hope of mine that the skeuomorphism will die out within the next year and a half of iOS/OSX revisions. It's outright damaging to some apps.

Soybean

I don't mind the page turning nearly as much as the fake book border. Pagination-with-turns has some important advantages over pure scrolling (or scrolling-with-pagination).

But yeah, it's a big hope of mine that the skeuomorphism will die out within the next year and a half of iOS/OSX revisions. It's outright damaging to some apps.
Despite my complaints, I just started using iBooks to read ePub stuff I buy from oreilly.com. I found the full screen mode that hides those awful book borders:
http://www.quantumpie.com/how-to-use-apples-ibooks-in-full-screen-mode/

I'm overstating my distaste for the page turning for dramatic effect anyway. So long as I can tap (i.e, avoid a full swipe motion) to turn the page, I'm good. iBooks allows that, so with the full screen mode, iBooks and I are cool.

I think skeuomorphism is good for most people who aren't tech nerds. It's useful to have visually different apps, so you don't forget what environment you're in. Adds a level of tangibility and comfort to the experience, and differentiates things, instead of everything looking like text on a screen. I for one love the page turning.

I was thinking of gettingThis. Does anyone know if this will fit the new iPad?

WTF is this shit

410Ctek582L.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
See you are confusing the animation with what iBooks does on iPad. On iBooks for iPad you can grab a corner of a screen and literally pull the page over, part way, back and forth, bend it, etc like a real page of the book. It isn't an animation.

Wow, dealbreaker right there :/

Sorry cheebs, nit singling you out specifically, but arguing about which app is better for reading books based on whether you can accurately simulate pulling the corner if a page is just silly IMO.

No mention of delivery/sync either. I find being able to email documents to kindle is invaluable.

this is only even an issue if you want to read books on iphone/ipad only. If you want to read on other smartphones, pcs, e-readers then you need the kindle app.

Although best solution would be to use epub format only and then you have more flexibility to choose

Btw, no mention of the overdrive app that lets you borrow directly from your local library?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Since we're talking about books, I most likely will be using Kindle because that's where I started on the OG Ipod Touch. I dont even think Apple had their own bookstore at that point. But I still wish there was some way to port over books from one reader app to another.

If they are epub they are portable, just need to sync them.in iTunes to the right app, or email them to your kindle email address, or use calibre

CougRon

I currently have an ipad2 with AT&T 3G and I have an ipad3 with AT&T 4G on order. I have a question about the data plan transfer. Will I be able to just change the device ids to the new ipad on the at&t account management and it will use the 4G signals or should I cancel my old account and start a new one directly on the new ipad?

Still haven't decided what to do with my old ipad. I busted the corner of the device a couple months back so the screen is all cracked on side and the wifi antenna has shorter range then it used to so I can't exactly resell it. I'm thinking of keeping it around as a media device or donating it to a relative.

mrkgoo

Well that settles that: there's an unboxing video out - the box looks different from the iPad2 box (different background on the iPad pic).

DodgerSan

JayDub

From the video, I noticed that we clan disable/enable LTE to save battery life. Early reports said this was missing? Either way, cool.

They said that the changes were on the GPU, so why was anyone expecting a CPU bump? The added memory will be quite nice for a lot of apps though.

noah111

Still Alive
I really don't give a shit personally how well it performs if it's even a hair better than the iPad 2. Still on my first gen and I just want to upgrade already.

Disappointed the benchmarks aren't higher, but I knew what I was getting into. Plus the benchmarks should be better for graphically intensive apps (or is it lol quadcore?)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
so no overclock on the CPU - purely a GPU bump and RAM bump. probably enough due to the screen size

I think this is good news - realistically not many apps would have specifically targetted ipad 3 specs, but now at least perhaps devs will start to target ipad 2 level specs, using more of that lovely GPU power (and a few bells on the ipad 3 version). Too many games are IMO limited by the ipad 1 - there is such a huge gap in GPU power between 1 & 2

So it performs a squeak better than the 2, but at a much higher resolution
Isnt that pretty good since the iPad 2 is supposed to be nice and fast?

AndTAR

I had hoped there would be improvements to things like app switching with the four-finger swipe. Guess that'll have to wait until iPad 4, with those marginal memory speed increases. (or.. ?)

I had hoped there would be improvements to things like app switching with the four-finger swipe. Guess that'll have to wait until iPad 4, with those marginal memory speed increases. (or.. ?)

That's really stuff for the new next version of iOS - which could come in September. Those gestures work fine already though - IMO

Top Bottom