• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Midas

Is it safe to assume that the countries that gets the iPad next friday won't be able to pre-order and hence will get 2-3 weeks delivery, at least, upon ordering?

japtor

They said that the changes were on the GPU, so why was anyone expecting a CPU bump? The added memory will be quite nice for a lot of apps though.
They've done speed bumps before (between the generational changes) with the 2nd gen iPod touch and iPhone 4. I think this would be the first without any (noticeable) bump at all change since the iPhone 3G?

There could be mystery crap like the "macroscalar" stuff that would probably require recompiled apps to take advantage but I figure that's a long shot. New software development side could help but I imagine that's a few months away whenever they decide to show off iOS 6 and open up beta testing. Whatever the case we won't find out obscure like that (if it exists) until devs get a hold of it.
So it performs a squeak better than the 2, but at a much higher resolution
Isnt that pretty good since the iPad 2 is supposed to be nice and fast?
It's good enough for the most part, basically depends on what you do with it. Like Numbers and SketchBook Pro along with a few other productivity apps I have could stand to be faster. They work...but they could work better with more power.
I had hoped there would be improvements to things like app switching with the four-finger swipe. Guess that'll have to wait until iPad 4, with those marginal memory speed increases. (or.. ?)
The increased memory will help there, otherwise as mentioned iOS tweaks later could help too.
I imagine those benchmarks aren't taking into account the higher resolution?
(If you were talking about the Geekbench shot) It's a CPU only thing, well some other stuff (memory/cache/etc), but it's function is purely to measure compute power so the resolution doesn't matter. Plus it appears to be running at iPhone size anyways.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I'm telling you folks, expect the new iPad to perform at about the same speeds as the iPad 2 but rock that crazy resolution while doing it. That's where I'm setting the bar myself and anything above that would make me thrilled. Anything below would make me fairly annoyed, I suspect.

(If you were talking about the Geekbench shot) It's a CPU only thing, well some other stuff (memory/cache/etc), but it's function is purely to measure compute power so the resolution doesn't matter. Plus it appears to be running at iPhone size anyways.
I thought as much. Therefore suggesting that the performance will be the same or slightly better than iPad 2 is jumping the gun slightly I think. The GPU might be able to handle the new res most of the time, but I'm fully expecting occasions where the iPad 3 will hiccup slightly where the iPad 2 did not.

same cpu power then? I hope the gpu can keep games running just as well in higher res then, it should do if it's a quad and designed for that retina screen but you never know.

Honestly if I had an ipad 2 right now i'd still sell it and buy a 3rd gen just for that screen, i'm spoiled by it on my touch and there is no way I can look at an older ipad without thinking about the resolution.

MasLegio

Banned
since my iPad (and other stuff worth up to 3000 usd) was stolen last week I am going to buy a new iPad (for insurance money). I had the black one but am considering buying the white one.
Does it get dirty easier than the black?
Any discoloration over time?

RubxQub

same cpu power then? I hope the gpu can keep games running just as well in higher res then, it should do if it's a quad and designed for that retina screen but you never know.

Honestly if I had an ipad 2 right now i'd still sell it and buy a 3rd gen just for that screen, i'm spoiled by it on my touch and there is no way I can look at an older ipad without thinking about the resolution.

Crazy games will almost certainly not even attempt to run at native resolution. I wouldn't be shocked if most games targeted the previous 1024x786 resolution and just uprezzed to the crazy Retina display so the hardware can actually keep up.

Again, console games have been using this method for a long time for major major franchises that are lauded for their amazing visuals (aka Call of Duty + Halo). Games like Infinity Blade will almost definitely not be running at native resolution.

LCfiner

Crazy games will almost certainly not even attempt to run at native resolution. I wouldn't be shocked if most games targeted the previous 1024x786 resolution and just uprezzed to the crazy Retina display so the hardware can actually keep up.

Again, console games have been using this method for a long time for major major franchises that are lauded for their amazing visuals (aka Call of Duty + Halo). Games like Infinity Blade will almost definitely not be running at native resolution.

No... not quite. and certainly not on Gaf :)

japtor

Well I figure if something is fill rate limited on iPad 2, it'll just be even more limited on the new screen...hell if I know how you'd know if something was fill rate limited though.

I'm curious whether devs will do the PS3/360 thing where they run at some weird in between lower resolution to make up for that and scale (if possible).
since my iPad (and other stuff worth up to 3000 usd) was stolen last week I am going to buy a new iPad (for insurance money). I had the black one but am considering buying the white one.
Does it get dirty easier than the black?
Any discoloration over time?
Don't really ever notice fingerprints on white, and it looks as white as when I got at launch last year.

RubxQub

No... not quite. and certainly not on Gaf :)

Meh...maybe my lack of going over to the Gaming side is showing, but Call of Duty was always the visual benchmark to me. The perfect blend of buttery smooth frame-rate and detailed environments.

Whether or not it was literally the most eye-banging game out there, whatever they did to make that game look the way it did was the perfect blend for the hardware it was released on to provide the best visual experience to me. No frame-rate issues. Lots of details. Lots of atmospheric stuff going on. Just great.

All done at some low resolution and uprezzed!

I wonder if the better gpu will help improve airplay, from youtube videos I have seen playing over airplay can stutter sometimes, plus I think an ipad 1 suffers over airplay with worse gaming performance while doing so.

Appleman

This is undoubtably true, unfortunately, but I'm more excited about 2D sprite based games that (other than a 4x texture space increase) should look AMAZING at native resolution

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It's good enough for the most part, basically depends on what you do with it. Like Numbers and SketchBook Pro along with a few other productivity apps I have could stand to be faster. They work...but they could work better with more power.

ios support for GPU processing could be good - are the GPUs in the ipad suitable for GPGPU/CUDA work?

Told my girlfriend she gets flowers for a while at work, or a new iPad. She chose flowers. She got some on Monday, was all excited. Little does she know. 16gb Verizon lte iPad will be at her office Friday morning as a "happy st Patrick's day" present.

It'll make my att 3G ipad2 it's bitch.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
1ghz i believe.
geekbench.gif

Was the ipad 2 not running at 800 mhz?

Do my eyes not work? Pretty sure this geekbench for the ipad 2 says 800 mhz

Told my girlfriend she gets flowers for a while at work, or a new iPad. She chose flowers. She got some on Monday, was all excited. Little does she know. 16gb Verizon lte iPad will be at her office Friday morning as a "happy st Patrick's day" present.

It'll make my att 3G ipad2 it's bitch.

that sounds like a disingenuous present.

tokkun

What is the primary cause of the poor performance of recent versions of iOS on the original iPad, the memory or the processor?

What was the used selling price of the iPad 1 near the launch of the iPad 2 and also what was the used selling price for the iPad 2 near the launch of the new iPad?

numble

That seems unlikely, since the benchmark scores are virtually identical.
The benchmark scores are nearly identical from 800 mhz (iPad 2), 900 mhz (iPad 2), and 1 ghz (new iPad).

I don't think how that provides anything definitive about the new iPad processor.

so if we get a mega bump for the iPad 4 I can assume it (32 gb wifi new ipad) will sell used for between 450-550 before ipad 4 is announced

Real Racing could run at native res? It already runs at 1080p on the iPad 2.

If any company and game will push the limits of a device it's Firemint with Real Racing, seriously expect to see a retina update just because they can and want to show it off.

Remember when the 3gs was new? they got 39 AI cars in real racing 1 just to show off the extra power the device had over a 3g unit, lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7SnwkdHO2o

Top Bottom