• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

LCfiner

What is the primary cause of the poor performance of recent versions of iOS on the original iPad, the memory or the processor?

My guess: memory.

iPad 1 has a faster processor than iPhone 4 and iPhone 4 ran iOS 5 just fine. iPhone 4 also has 512 MB of RAM.

x-Lundz-x

so if we get a mega bump for the iPad 4 I can assume it (32 gb wifi new ipad) will sell used for between 450-550 before ipad 4 is announced

That is the great things about Apple products, they hold their value so well. You basically can get a brand new device every year for only a few hundred dollars by selling the last model at the time of the refresh.

Kosmo

Banned
That is the great things about Apple products, they hold their value so well. You basically can get a brand new device every year for only a few hundred dollars by selling the last model at the time of the refresh.

This. My first Mac was a Mac Mini that I bought for $599 - sold it 4 years later and STILL got like $275 for it, which is crazy for a desktop computer.

Oh yay, the same shite game at twice the res! I can't wait. ¬_¬

Red-Angry-Bird-Mask.jpg

ios support for GPU processing could be good - are the GPUs in the ipad suitable for GPGPU/CUDA work?

Yes. Word is that Adobe will soon be porting over the Mercury Engine and there will be feature-complete versions of Adobe Premiere and After Effects to take advantage of the quad-core GPU. Purportedly it rivals the performance of the Quadro 4000, but may be limited by the high-resolution screen on the new iPad.

Husker86

Even though your "few hundred dollars" is overestimating what it will take to upgrade, I find it funny that that seems like a good deal to you. How companies have us trained...

It's really about $100 maybe $150 if you get the same level.

I guess the hands on I posted on the day of the keynote was one of the few accurate reports of the Ipad 3 being a marginal improvement when it comes to performance. It says something about the tech press in general, I think.

numble

I guess the hands on I posted on the day of the keynote was one of the few accurate reports of the Ipad 3 being a marginal improvement when it comes to performance. It says something about the tech press in general, I think.

I don't think anybody said that performance showed any major improvement.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Even though your "few hundred dollars" is overestimating what it will take to upgrade, I find it funny that that seems like a good deal to you. How companies have us trained...

it is a great deal. apple products are one of the only i've seen that you can sell a year later and still get a good value for it. Most other electronics are like new cars, the second you take it off the lot its instantly worth a lot less.

I don't think anybody said that performance showed any major improvement.

This is essentially an iPad 2 with retina display and to utilize the retina display, the GPU has been bumped as has the camera and the memory is doubled, all three to take advantage of the screen.

The singular focus of this update is the screen.

The next iPad will be a big jump for CPU and a minor update for the GPU and Camera with a half gig update for RAM with an additional hardware feature to make it a selling point.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
This is essentially an iPad 2 with retina display and to utilize the retina display, the GPU has been bumped as has the camera and the memory is doubled, all three to take advantage of the screen.

The next iPad will be a big jump for CPU and a minor update for the GPU and Camera with a half gig update for RAM.

Yep, agree across the board. Except I don't know if a RAM bump will happen in the next model or not. I'd assume it would, but who knows. Need to see how 1GB holds up with all this new shiz going on.

x-Lundz-x

It's an approximation but you know what I mean. And really how is it not a good deal if you want a new device every year?

I just bought a new iPad for 600, plus a case for 50. If the next iPad has enough improvements for me to want to buy it I sell my current iPad and case for 400+ and I get a brand new iPad and case for 200. Seems like a pretty good deal to me. To me it's no different than trading in played games for credit towards the purchase of new games.

Husker86

It's an approximation but you know what I mean. And really how is it not a good deal if you want a new device every year?

I just bought a new iPad for 600, plus a case for 50. If the next iPad has enough improvements for me to want to buy it I sell my current iPad and case for 400+ and I get a brand new iPad and case for 200. Seems like a pretty good deal to me. To me it's no different than trading in played games for credit towards the purchase of new games.

That is a good deal, I was referring to your "few hundred" statement.

I know the Apple flip pricing, I've taken advantage of it and love it as well!

dream

What's the metric for determining performance, though? Does anyone actually use an iPad 2 and think "god, I wish it wasn't so slow?"

What's the metric for determining performance, though? Does anyone actually use an iPad 2 and think "god, I wish it wasn't so slow?"

+1

I still have no meaningful complaints about my OG iPad outside of memory as it affects the browser. Speed was fine for me. This should be a nice jump for me.

Clott

My iPad is in Kentucky, I heared about people gettin the 2 early but it's been there a day now, I can see they are keeping it there till they deliver it to NY on Friday. Kind I irritating knowing that they can give it to me tomorrow morning but choose not to.

x-Lundz-x

My iPad is in Kentucky, I heared about people gettin the 2 early but it's been there a day now, I can see they are keeping it there till they deliver it to NY on Friday. Kind I irritating knowing that they can give it to me tomorrow morning but choose not to.

They are required by Apple to not deliver until the 16th. If you look at your shipping it's overnight delivery with "future" delivery requested.. Apple apparently has all of them locked up in their own trucks and will not let FedEx or UPS or whoever even touch them until the 15th and then they get shipped out overnight delivery.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I would like to say that benchmarks are a pretty poor tool for performance testing.

I can say this with full confidence as a large part of my current PhD work is focused around benchmarks and testing.

The problems with benchmarks as a tool for performance is that they sometimes miss important performance characteristics. Generalized benchmarks that attempt to compare different architectures are extremely hard to make useful.

At the end of the day as a consumer you should care about usability. I got rid of my iPad 1 because it stopped being usable not because of its benchmark numbers.

Edit: In the same note I am currently using some benchmark centric research as motivation for my work.

giga

Tweetbot 2.1 for iPad out.

- iPad graphics optimized for the new iPad’s retina display
- Streaming (when on WiFi with settings to disable it)
- The “new tweets” sound is now limited to mentions, DM’s, and new tweets via pull-to-refresh
- Double-tapping on the timeline tab button takes you to last read tweet before going to the top
- Improvements to the Tweetmarker service
- Camera+ 3.0 Capturing/Editing Support
- Bug fixes related to direct messages
- Many other bug fixes

We are excited to announce streaming in Tweetbot for the iPhone and iPad. What is streaming you ask? Instead of pull-to-refresh to check for new tweets or waiting for the 5 minute auto-refresh to take place, tweets appear instantly in your timeline as they are published.

jts

...hate me...
Does anyone got a clue of when will pre-orders start for the bunch of March 23rd launch countries?

The next iPad will be a big jump for CPU and a minor update for the GPU and Camera with a half gig update for RAM with an additional hardware feature to make it a selling point.

I can agree with that, 4th gen will most likely go quad core for cpu, either keep or bump the ram up another 512mb and something completely new to us all to stay ahead of the curve.

Mine was supposed to be delivered Saturday to my place of business, but since we are closed on Sunday it is stuck back at the local FedEx hub. Now I don't know when I'm going to get it :(
FedEx tried to deliver mine on Saturday but I wasn't home. He came today and asked what all these people were getting from Apple. He said he had a bunch to deliver. I didn't expect that kind of demand in Delaware.

RubxQub

More Middletown PA folks, eh? We really should plan that raid...

NekoFever

Is anywhere keeping track of apps that have or are confirmed to be getting retina updates? I seem to remember seeing that Carcassonne was and there's the above Twitter client, plus all the Apple stuff, but is there anything else yet?

RubxQub

Lollzers

Samsung Electronics Co. will supply the touch screen for Apple Inc.’s new iPad after LG Display Co. and Sharp Corp didn’t meet the U.S. company’s quality requirements, according to an analyst with iSuppli.

Samsung, the world’s top flat-panel maker, currently is the sole vendor of the display for the 9.7-inch device, said Vinita Jakhanwal, a senior manager at iSuppli, a unit of Englewood, Colorado-based IHS Inc.

Samsung makes the display and is one of the manufacturers of the A5X chip. Weee!

Cheebo

Banned
I wouldnt be surprised if Samsung has more revenue for supplying parts for iPad than they do on the entire tablet line.

RubxQub

and they still can't make a competitive android tablet!

Apple owns the supply chain so hard they've locked Samsung out of using their own manufacturing resources! Pwned!

I wouldnt be surprised if Samsung has more revenue for supplying parts for iPad than they do on the entire tablet line.
Oh, easily. EASILY. I'd be shocked if the Samsung tablets are even profitable to them right now.

Top Bottom