• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Cheebo

Banned
If by the end of the year nothing else takes off to any decent level I think its safe to start comparing the tablet pc market to the ipod market in terms of domination where competition isn't ever going to be viable to any realistic degree.

tokkun

The benchmark scores are nearly identical from 800 mhz (iPad 2), 900 mhz (iPad 2), and 1 ghz (new iPad).

I don't think how that provides anything definitive about the new iPad processor.

Sorry, I should have been more clear.

A chip using DVFS should reach its maximum frequency during a benchmark test, provided there isn't some other limiting factor in play (such as being plugged in vs being on battery, being overheated, etc.). I am assuming that each chip's benchmark scores represent that maximum frequency.

The fact that the benchmark reports different frequencies is not surprising. The operation to query the current frequency is not demanding, therefore you cannot get a reliable result because the query itself does not cause the frequency to ramp up to maximum. Although the frequency reported in the benchmark is unpredictable, the actually frequency the test runs at is predictable (and predictably the highest frequency).

You can observe this phenomenon easily on a desktop or laptop by installing one of those widgets that displays the current processor frequency and running some processor intensive tasks.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
New DODOcases announced for new iPad

Spring-Summer-4Up-Master_1.jpg

If by the end of the year nothing else takes off to any decent level I think its safe to start comparing the tablet pc market to the ipod market in terms of domination where competition isn't ever going to be viable to any realistic degree.

The final push is probably going to come from Windows tablets, right?

It will be somewhat interesting to see what Amazon does with an updated, larger display Kindle Fire, but to be honest...3rd gen iPad just sort of killed that with its retina display. No way Amazon can match that.

Is anywhere keeping track of apps that have or are confirmed to be getting retina updates? I seem to remember seeing that Carcassonne was and there's the above Twitter client, plus all the Apple stuff, but is there anything else yet?

This. I wish someone out there would compile a list of updated apps.

Husker86

How can they be considered competitive if people in general just don't want them?

The hardware itself is what I was referring to, because that's what I assumed mrklaw was referring to since he was playing off of Samsung knowing Apple's hardware.

Technical and market competitiveness are two different things, though only one really matters.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Sorry, I should have been more clear.

A chip using DVFS should reach its maximum frequency during a benchmark test, provided there isn't some other limiting factor in play (such as being plugged in vs being on battery, being overheated, etc.). I am assuming that each chip's benchmark scores represent that maximum frequency.

The fact that the benchmark reports different frequencies is not surprising. The operation to query the current frequency is not demanding, therefore you cannot get a reliable result because the query itself does not cause the frequency to ramp up to maximum. Although the frequency reported in the benchmark is unpredictable, the actually frequency the test runs at is predictable (and predictably the highest frequency).

You can observe this phenomenon easily on a desktop or laptop by installing one of those widgets that displays the current processor frequency and running some processor intensive tasks.

in that case, shouldn't the benchmark poll the frequency in the middle of a demanding task?

Cheebo

Banned
There is a lot more than pure specs to determine if its competitve. The Android App Store for tablet specific apps remains a joke compared to the App Store still.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The hardware itself is what I was referring to, because that's what I assumed mrklaw was referring to since he was playing off of Samsung knowing Apple's hardware.

Technical and market competitiveness are two different things, though only one really matters.

nah, I was just taking the piss for no reason whatsoever. I like samsungs hardware, just that its tied to android software which still needs to find its feet in the tablet space at least. Maybe ICS will help, but it needs to stop being so fragmented - that clearly doesn't work

x-Lundz-x

There is a lot more than pure specs to determine if its competitve. The Android App Store for tablet specific apps remains a joke compared to the App Store still.

Which is why I am getting rid of my Kindle Fire, the lack of apps on the Amazon App store is even worse. I thought the Fire would fit my needs as a tablet, it doesn't...

Husker86

Of course. Mrklaw's post only made sense to me if he was referring to hardware specifically since Samsung providing Apple's screens would have nothing to do with their poor performance in the consumer market, but could be used as a jab if they couldn't get their own hardware down.

It seems I read too far into the post, my mistake.

nah, I was just taking the piss for no reason whatsoever. I like samsungs hardware, just that its tied to android software which still needs to find its feet in the tablet space at least. Maybe ICS will help, but it needs to stop being so fragmented - that clearly doesn't work

Agreed. The rumored Google Nexus tablet might make things interesting, though I doubt it will cause a huge shake-up (Nexus phones don't, as nice as they are). Android marketing blows.

Which is why I am getting rid of my Kindle Fire, the lack of apps on the Amazon App store is even worse. I thought the Fire would fit my needs as a tablet, it doesn't...

The Kindle Fire isn't even compatible with Android Tablet specific apps. It runs a modified phone version of Android.

Software engineering is technical too, you know. If you can throw a bunch of chips and plastic together with quality, good for you, but if you have rely on 3rd parties to develop the software that brings the product together, you have a hand full of nothing.

Yes, but that's not up to Samsung. Again, I took the post too seriously; I'm a very literal person.

jts

...hate me...

Software engineering is technical too, you know. If you can throw a bunch of chips and plastic together with quality, good for you, but if you have rely on 3rd parties to develop the software that brings the product together, you have a hand full of nothing.

edit: this was already addressed, I guess. nvm

noah111

Still Alive
I like the DodoCase but those colors are hideous and $80 without camera hole, etc. is absurd.
You're going to take pictures while using a case like that? Really?

They are somewhat ugly. How stupid of them not to include a red interior/black exterior option like the original DODOcase. I own one for my first gen iPad and it's beautiful.

LJ11

The IPS panel in my LG TV is quite good- it's better than the other type they typically offer.

Their smaller IPS displays were/are not up to par. My laptop displayed image retention as did two iPads, all three had an LG IPS display. My buddies iPad did as well but I'm pretty sure he didn't notice since he doesn't really watch movies on it.

Use different panels for televisions. Since my laptop and iPad shared basically the same panel, they both had the issue.

You're going to take pictures while using a case like that? Really?

They are somewhat ugly. How stupid of them not to include a red interior/black exterior option like the original DODOcase. I own one for my first gen iPad and it's beautiful.

It's not about the money... it's about sending a message.

Flo_Evans

Unless I am interpreting the fedex site wrong (possible) looks like the delivery hold is lifted and my iPad is leaving Nashville!!! woohoo!

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I'd bet the farm there'll be 'Retina' MacBook Pros this summer.

And as a PC user I'm grateful!

PC display market prices have been bottoming out but all the displays are shit

I'm still using a 30" dell from like 4-5 years ago and I want to get some better displays in 24-27" range at a better price

123rl

Has anyone in the UK had a shipping tracking number yet? I have a Syncreon number but that hasn't changed status since Saturday that I access from two 10 digit numbers. There's also a number beginning W21xx. Is that a tracking number for UPS, or HDNL, or someone else?

GAF, help me pick one of these color combinations. I'm suffering from acute paralysis of analysis today.

Option 1

muzettolaptopgreenlg.jpg
muzettolargeinsidelg.jpg

Option 2

muzettoblack10colorflam.jpg
muzettoblackinteriorfla.jpg

any thoughts would be appreciated, as always.

Top Bottom