• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Bowser

You're going to take pictures while using a case like that? Really?

They are somewhat ugly. How stupid of them not to include a red interior/black exterior option like the original DODOcase. I own one for my first gen iPad and it's beautiful.

Those aren't the only colors:

Essentials-4Up-Master.jpg

http://www.dodocase.com/products/dodo-essentials

Classic-4Up-Master_1.jpg

http://www.dodocase.com/products/dodo-classic

I agree though, don't know why you would drop $60-$80 (you have to pay $5 to add the camera hole lol) for all that added bulk. I just bought a Smartcover for $40 and called it a day in terms of protecting my new iPad (although I'm one of those people that doesn't have a case or screen protector on my iPhone either).

Flo_Evans

GAF, help me pick one of these color combinations. I'm suffering from acute paralysis of analysis today.

Option 1

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/5222/muzettolaptopgreenlg.jpg[IMG] [IMG]http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/7433/muzettolargeinsidelg.jpg[IMG]

Option 2

[IMG]http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/44/muzettoblack10colorflam.jpg[IMG] [IMG]http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/3309/muzettoblackinteriorfla.jpg[IMG]

any thoughts would be appreciated, as always.[/QUOTE]

I like the brown leather, but not a fan of the lime green...

What bag is that again? looks nice but I'm not sure if I actually need a specific ipad bag.

I wouldn't normally like a case, but, I have one because of these 2 scenarios:

1) Kids

2) Games

My daughters have dropped my iPad a couple times, not on a corner and not from high, but, enough that it could have done some damage without a case.

Also, with games, getting a good grip on the slick surface can be tough without a case, if you're playing anything with action or buttons.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
It seems to make more sense to offer a bigger one.

blackflag

Well if it gets there and they still haven't charged I'd cancel that credit card asap. ;) I wonder if there is anything they could actually do if you did that.

I doubt they could but I'm not going to cancel it. I will hope they forget to ever charge it though.

I like the brown leather, but not a fan of the lime green...

What bag is that again? looks nice but I'm not sure if I actually need a specific ipad bag.
http://www.sfbags.com/products/muzetto/muzetto.php

I found the only color that really stood out to me with their brown leather was the green. everything else looked kinda boring or not quite right to my eyes.

Either their "personal" size or 10" "portable" size would be right for an iPad. Personal size if you're just carrying an iPad+case+small stuff. 10" if you want something magazine-height (11", like a BT keyboard).

Option 1. thats my vote

ty sir

What color are most of your shoes?

I'd go brown, personally.

brown every day but Sunday. :)

I will not help you pick out a purse.
=)

:(

<3

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Black and orange dominates. Easy victory over brown/green.

My bag has the same combo and it's pimp.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
No I'm super serious. I was listening to a podcast with John Siracusa and he was hypothesizing about what a 13inch ipad could offer than the 9.7inch one can't and it made a lot of sense. I think that over the next half decade or so as iOS becomes Apple's "main" OS and things like Logic and FinalCut are possible on it, its more or less an inevitability.

Smaller than 10inches though? Theres no point. Not with the iPhone. (which is heavily rumored to be going slightly bigger than it is now) The only thing a 7inch device seems perfectly suited for is reading, and thats not a compelling enough reason to offer a new product.

Black and orange dominates. Easy victory over brown/green.

My bag has the same combo and it's pimp.

that was my reaction when I saw the black+red/orange in the picture. I knew I was going brown+green, then saw that bag in the picture and was awed.

Might just order both and call it a day. On my black suit days, a black bag is clearly preferable. But every other day, I think brown works with my style more. idk.

are these hipster bags or manly bags or both
manly!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpPNFx61Nwo

All Maroo Cases 50% off today (3/12) only! Code is marooturns1.

http://www.maroo.com/store/Cases/iPad-Cases

damn, that's quite the discount.

No I'm super serious. I was listening to a podcast with John Siracusa and he was hypothesizing about what a 13inch ipad could offer than the 9.7inch one can't and it made a lot of sense. I think that over the next half decade or so as iOS becomes Apple's "main" OS and things like Logic and FinalCut are possible on it, its more or less an inevitability.

Smaller than 10inches though? Theres no point. Not with the iPhone. (which is heavily rumored to be going slightly bigger than it is now) The only thing a 7inch device seems perfectly suited for is reading, and thats not a compelling enough reason to offer a new product.

The 7 inch ipad will not be the iPad but the iPad e as in e-ink

Mashing

Anyone use Safari Books Online to download and read technical books (I'm studying for Juniper certifications) on their iPad? I know they support ePub, Mobi and PDF format and they have an iPad app. Has anyone used it?

that was my reaction when I saw the black+red/orange in the picture. I knew I was going brown+green, then saw that bag in the picture and was awed.

Might just order both and call it a day. On my black suit days, a black bag is clearly preferable. But every other day, I think brown works with my style more. idk.

manly!

Man those bags look so nice, $199 is out of my range tho :/

KorrZ

Apparently my local Best Buy and Future Shop are hearing that they may not get their shipments until Monday now :|. Said to call back on Thursday...Fuck sakes, I'm already dying of anticipation I don't think I can make it through the weekend reading GAF impressions.

Anyone use Safari Books Online to download and read technical books (I'm studying for Juniper certifications) on their iPad? I know they support ePub, Mobi and PDF format and they have an iPad app. Has anyone used it?

I've used the iPad app. It's okay. When u open it and are online, it works just like the website. Moving from page to page is a bit slow.

And ur allowed to have one offline book in your book bag.

Now answer me this, why books are you usin to study? And are you using Olive, JUNOSsphere or real hardware?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I wouldn't normally like a case, but, I have one because of these 2 scenarios:

1) Kids

2) Games

My daughters have dropped my iPad a couple times, not on a corner and not from high, but, enough that it could have done some damage without a case.

Also, with games, getting a good grip on the slick surface can be tough without a case, if you're playing anything with action or buttons.

Same. I've gone for a maroo rota ad they are 50% off today only I figured its worth a blind buy, and it looks good. I might also get a smart cover to tide me over until it arrives and see how I like it

RubxQub

Apparently my local Best Buy and Future Shop are hearing that they may not get their shipments until Monday now :|. Said to call back on Thursday...Fuck sakes, I'm already dying of anticipation I don't think I can make it through the weekend reading GAF impressions.

I can't even imagine how unbearable it would be to read about everyone messing around with their new devices while I waited to use my own. I'm already dreading Friday morning because I'll be camped in my living room just waiting for the delivery guy to show up while refreshing this thread and peeping my RSS feed and just reading non-stop reviews and impressions while I wait for my own precious.

1st world problems..

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I'm slowly bringing myself to the realization I'm not gonna get one launch day. I think next week. I started to have second thoughts about getting a 16gig and with tax the 32gig model is like 900$.... which is absurd. I don't even know what I want anymore. If there were hiDPI macbook airs on the market right now I wouldn't even toying with the idea of getting an iPad. Who knows. I get paid next thursday though at which point I'll have more than enough money to buy the 32gig and not be broke for a week so I guess I'll see what happens.

I'll bet you money that when Apple launches OS XI (which will just be the full merging of OS X and iOS) in 2014, they'll release all their laptops as touch screen enabled, while being thin enough to fold the keyboard under to hold like a tablet. You'll have your 13 inch tablet then, I reckon.

noah111

Still Alive
Those aren't the only colors:

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0046/6182/products/Essentials-4Up-Master.jpg?102195[IMG]

[url]http://www.dodocase.com/products/dodo-essentials[/url]

[IMG]http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0046/6182/products/Classic-4Up-Master_1.jpg?102195[IMG]

[url]http://www.dodocase.com/products/dodo-classic[/url]

I agree though, don't know why you would drop $60-$80 (you have to pay $5 to add the camera hole lol) for all that added bulk. I just bought a Smartcover for $40 and called it a day in terms of protecting my new iPad (although I'm one of those people that doesn't have a case or screen protector on my iPhone either).[/QUOTE]
Thanks, not sure how I missed that. But yeah, I think we tend to forget that these cases started out as a niche product, and they are each hand made.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I'll bet you money that when Apple launches OS XI (which will just be the full merging of OS X and iOS) in 2014, they'll release all their laptops as touch screen enabled, while being thin enough to fold the keyboard under to hold like a tablet. You'll have your 13 inch tablet then, I reckon.

how much money? lol. thats preposterous.

GAF, help me pick one of these color combinations. I'm suffering from acute paralysis of analysis today.

Option 1

muzettolaptopgreenlg.jpg
muzettolargeinsidelg.jpg

Option 2

muzettoblack10colorflam.jpg
muzettoblackinteriorfla.jpg

any thoughts would be appreciated, as always.

I like option 1. The green is a nice punch of color against a rather ordinary brown bag. Granted, had it been that red orange against the brown, that'd look pretty sweet too.

Blackhead

Redarse

any thoughts would be appreciated, as always.
I had the brown and green and grew to hate it. The brown leather left stains on my clothes despite rubbing it down several times. Get the black if you must.

how much money? lol. thats preposterous.

Why? They're very clearly heading in that direction with OS X and Mac Airs are thin enough already to use like a tablet. It's pretty clear that the future of computing is going to be heavily touch focused and it's inevitable that laptops become hybrid tablets.

Mac Air Touch in 2014. Bank on it.

I had the brown and green and grew to hate it. The brown leather left stains on my clothes despite rubbing it down several times. Get the black if you must.
aww that's not cool. I'll have to look into that, as it's the first mention i've seen from many owners. what did you think of the color combination otherwise? also, did you try any leather sprays or cleaners to mitigate the staining?

I like option 1. The green is a nice punch of color against a rather ordinary brown bag. Granted, had it been that red orange against the brown, that'd look pretty sweet too.

muzettolaptopflamelg.jpg
bagph.jpg

doesn't move me quite the same way. doesn't look bad at all, either. something about the brown and green that feels natural while sharp. idk.

manly!

are these cases for iPad 3? because its back is fatter

aww that's not cool. I'll have to look into that, as it's the first mention i've seen from many owners. what did you think of the color combination otherwise? also, did you try any leather sprays or cleaners to mitigate the staining?

muzettolaptopflamelg.jpg

doesn't move me quite the same way.

Hmm... Yeah that does look kinda meh really. The green goes better with the brown actually for sure.

bob page

Also, I'm not sure if they changed the construction, but I had a Dodocase for my OG iPad. After a couple months, the bamboo warped a little and the case became sort of loose.

So yeah, something to take into consideration.

RubxQub

Also, I'm not sure if they changed the construction, but I had a Dodocase for my OG iPad. After a couple months, the bamboo warped a little and the case became sort of loose.

So yeah, something to take into consideration.

Ditto, my OG DODOcase wasn't the greatest in the world. Added twice the bulk to the device, didn't have a great typing angle when set on a table and over-time actually warped.

...I love them in concept more than in execution.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Why? They're very clearly heading in that direction with OS X and Mac Airs are thin enough already to use like a tablet. It's pretty clear that the future of computing is going to be heavily touch focused and it's inevitable that laptops become hybrid tablets.

Mac Air Touch in 2014. Bank on it.

A convertible Macbook is a ridiculous, idea. In my opinion.

OSX and iOS aren't going to merge. They're just going to become extremely similar. Accomplishing the same ideas in different ways tailored to their respective input methods. I'm not really sure what the longterm future of OSX is, since it seems pretty obvious that iOS is now the mainstream Apple OS. But I feel pretty damn confident its not convertible laptops. I mean, think about it.. what would that do the rest of their Mac line? The idea of convertible Macbooks just isn't thinking big enough about the future.

I have *NO* idea what is coming down the road but I'm pretty damn sure tablet/macbook hybrids is not in the cards. "it makes sense" in the way that its something another company would do.

RubxQub

A convertible Macbook is a ridiculous, idea. In my opinion.

OSX and iOS aren't going to merge. They're just going to become extremely similar. Accomplishing the same ideas in different ways tailored to their respective input methods. I'm not really sure what the longterm future of OSX is, since it seems pretty obvious that iOS is now the mainstream Apple OS. But I feel pretty damn confident its not convertible laptops. I mean, think about it.. what would that do the rest of their Mac line? The idea of convertible Macbooks just isn't thinking big enough about the future.

I have *NO* idea what is coming down the road but I'm pretty damn sure tablet/macbook hybrids is not in the cards. "it makes sense" in the way that its something another company would do.

I was trying to type up something very much like this before, but deleted it when I couldn't quite articulate my thoughts well enough.

This is pretty much it, though. Just doesn't seem to make sense to completely merge them, just make them more similar so transitioning between one and the other is as seamless as possible.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I think I may go with the LTE flex rate plan from Rogers

I am paying $20/month for data sharing but under flex it's

$7 for 10 MB
$17 for 250 MB
$37 for 5 GB

Considering I rarely take my iPad out and leave it on wifi only and usually only use it on certain occasions (like the need to watch a big sports game) this deal ain't so bad - it could potentially allow me to save money over the course of a year

Even though I do think the 10 MB is laughable (considering that's potentially 2-3 seconds of network time)

Top Bottom