• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

ido

About the maroo cases, I emailed(again), and here is their response:

We have had the specs for the new iPad for quite a while (even before it
was announced) and we are confident that everything fits as it should.

Best,

Beau Rosser
Social Media Director, Product Manager

Further from Maroo's Facebook page, in a question about fittings.

"‎Jeffrey - the size difference is very small and not a problem. :)"

So, I'm not totally clear why they even bother to ask about if it's for the new one or not at checkout. Maybe just internal stock data?

Magnus

Shipped! But won't be home on Friday. :(

Alas, will UPS (Canada) typically teat tempt delivery on Monday, or will I be able to go pick it up from a depot?

Last I bring it up re: Maroo. I sent my own email, too. I asked if a 2 could go in a 3 or a 3 could go in a 2, and she wrote back and said it's the same line of cases for both models.

KtSlime

I wouldn't be surprised if they do eventually. One day the iPad will have the power to run desktop-style software. What would be stopping it from merging? iOS isn't just different due to the interface, there is a necessity to keep it less bloated for the hardware. When that necessity disappears... they might as well just have one OS, that optimises itself for any device.

How is that really any different than merging? You already have (subtle, minor) differences between the iPad, iPod and iPhone versions of iOS. There are also differences in OS X depending on which type of hardware you're running. Having one that is desktop-centric and gives users the ability to more or less have the OS X environment accessible in iOS makes a lot more sense. It's simply a feature that the other devices would be lacking. We're not talking about bolting a mouse cursor into iOS, mind you. A unified OS makes too much sense going forward. Developers, for example, could test apps directly on their laptop, or even touch-enabled iMac or Cinema Displays. Similarly, you could run apps you downloaded to your phone on your computer – lord knows there is no shortage of things on the App Store that would be handy to have on my computer, at least.

If nothing else, I can't imagine why they would even bother with something like Launch Pad, or make iCloud file management behave exactly like iOS if they weren't planning on integrating touch functionality into at least the Macbook line in the near future.

I don't see how Apple ISN'T moving towards a unified OS. Having a split OS in itself runs contrary to Apple's philosophy of everything just working together more than anything.

iOS and OS X have been one from the very beginning, only the elements on the surface are different. As OS X drops more carbon and there is more API sharing between iOS and OS X they are bound to look more similar externally as well - to developers. This is a good thing. However, there are some user facing features that are not likely to be merged, namely the difference between UIKit and AppKit (I do see AppKit getting some revisions to be a bit more like UIKit in object hierarchy simplicity, getting rid of 20 years of cruft).

All evidence points to Apple shares code and assets between projects when it makes sense. And you can believe they will be even more convinced that this is the right decision after they see how Win8 turns out for MS.

tl;dr iOS and OS X are already merged: always have been: and the sharing of code and assets are good for Apple, developers, and users.

LCfiner

iOS and OS X have been one from the very beginning, only the elements on the surface are different. As OS X drops more carbon and there is more API sharing between iOS and OS X they are bound to look more similar externally as well - to developers. This is a good thing. However, there are some user facing features that are not likely to be merged, namely the difference between UIKit and AppKit (I do see AppKit getting some revisions to be a bit more like UIKit in object hierarchy simplicity, getting rid of 20 years of cruft).

All evidence points to Apple shares code and assets between projects when it makes sense. And you can believe they will be even more convinced that this is the right decision after they see how Win8 turns out for MS.

tl;dr iOS and OS X are already merged: always have been: and the sharing of code and assets are good for Apple, developers, and users.

I want people to read this twice. it's important for anyone thinking about the ideas of "merging" to understand that a lot of the tech is already the same between the two platforms.

And to merge the two into one OS that has to deal with two radically different interaction modes... Well, I don't understand why people want that; why they think it would make a better product.

there are ideas that can be shared to make iPhones and macs better, but making iOS and Mac OS into one product doesn't improve anything.

Alas, will UPS (Canada) typically teat tempt delivery on Monday, or will I be able to go pick it up from a depot?

Unlikely, usually its on the truck the first day and then gets redirected to your nearest store. I've tried to call early and redirect before delivery is attempted but usually they insist on delivering to the original location first.

Kevitivity

Here in the US you can print out a pre-sign form from Apple, authorizing UPS to leave the package at your front door. Just visit your order-status page on the apple web site.

Ahh, I got stuck at the end of the last page. So again, is the Apple TV my only option for airplay? If so I may just settle for the HDMI adapter and a long hdmi cable.

I want people to read this twice. it's important for anyone thinking about the ideas of "merging" to understand that a lot of the tech is already the same between the two platforms.

And to merge the two into one OS that has to deal with two radically different interaction modes... Well, I don't understand why people want that; why they think it would make a better product.

there are ideas that can be shared to make iPhones and macs better, but making iOS and Mac OS into one product doesn't improve anything.
So you're saying that if the next iPad was powerful enough, and they enabled a few things on iOS (e.g. pointer support), you'd have no problems running some kind of demanding desktop application like Logic on there (ignoring the obvious UI problems)? Surely there's more to it than that...

mrkgoo

So you're saying that if the next iPad was powerful enough, and they enabled a few things on iOS (e.g. pointer support), you'd have no problems running some kind of demanding desktop application like Logic on there (ignoring the obvious UI problems)? Surely there's more to it than that...

In terms of the system level, probably not much more to it, although dismissing it as just changing a pointer system is probably simplifying the transition. The point here is that the UI itself is radically different in regards to what is actually presented, not technically. Buttons are bigger on iS to accommodate fingers, for example.

But all the underlying software tech, I assume is the same.

Think back to Steve's unveiling of the very first iOS device.

"iPhone runs OS X"

It's true. It uses the same system. Of course, it has it,s own set of core animations that ar suited to iOS devices and the like, but deep down, both have been the same from the very beginning.

I assume. Or that's how I read the above.

Blackhead

Redarse

I think what people want is for the iPhone/iPad and MacBook Air to merge into one product and not necessarily for iOS and OS X to merge into one product. What people want is to buy one device. If Apple decides that means iOS and OS X should merge then so be it. If Apple chooses instead that iOS and OS X remain separate and accessed in different modes then that's fine too.

KtSlime

What is a question like this even driving at? I don't really understand. Were computers from the 90's not computers because they were not as powerful as something we don't call a computer(iPad) is today?

Are you saying that the iPad and Mac aren't running the same kernel because they have different hardware? What are you asking?

Apps
Art Assets
High Level API (*Kit)
Low Level API (Core*)
Programming Language
System Services
Drivers
OS Personality
Kernel
Boot Loader

Key = Nearly Identical Mostly The Same Different

Apple could reuse code from Logic to make a version for iOS, if this is your question. Logic however does suffer from some serious code rot due to its age and former use of the now depreciated carbon APIs - this would be the hardest part of the port, since iOS only uses OS X and NS derived APIs (cocoa), and virtually none from the old Mac OS (carbon).

What is a question like this even driving at? I don't really understand. Were computers from the 90's not computers because they were not as powerful as something we don't call a computer(iPad) is today?

Are you saying that the iPad and Mac aren't running the same kernel because they have different hardware? What are you asking?

Apps
Art Assets
High Level API (*Kit)
Low Level API (Core*)
Programming Language
System Services
Drivers
OS Personality
Kernel
Boot Loader

Key = Nearly Identical Mostly The Same Different

Apple could reuse code from Logic to make a version for iOS, if this is your question. Logic however does suffer from some serious code rot due to its age and former use of the now depreciated carbon APIs - this would be the hardest part of the port, since iOS only uses OS X and NS derived APIs (cocoa), and virtually none from the old Mac OS (carbon).
Yeah I'm just curious as to how far apart they really are... I appreciate your impressive knowledge on this subject.

Voltron64

Hey guys, I need some suggestions on some clear skins for the new iPad. I bought a smart cover so I only want to cover the back to protect it from scratches in the least noticeable way possible. Suggestions on the best brands?

LCfiner

what, no. I'm saying the opposite of that (or I thought I was. I guess I was unclear). for the last couple years, there's been lots of comments online about how OS X and iOS are destined to merge - to become one product that powers both macs and iOS devices.

but I don't see why that is bound to happen. I don't see why it is a good idea. there are lots of things between the two OSes that are shared, but the ways they are different are very important. i think that iOS and Mac OS will be separate products for a very, very, very long time.

Macs have mice, trackpads and keyboards that require different UIs that touch based apps. Windows 8 is giving us a little taste of how odd it is to flip back and forth between those two input methods

Macs also handle memory very differently than iPhones. there's no virtual memory on iPhones and iOS doesn't support it. do we want iOS to suddenly have to work with VM? do we want to eliminate VM in Macs?

The only time I can see the two merging is a time so far in the future, it's not even worth talking seriously about - like more than 10 years from now. a time where hardware in pocket devices is so capable that "Apple OS" could be launched on it and run a touch skin all the time, and the same Apple OS runs on a desktop and runs a desktop skin.

but that, too, makes me wonder if it's really worth doing as then you have two very different products that need to run on one development cycle and be updated together. it would seem to me that it would be faster for a company to separate teams and have the pocket team doing things independantly of the desktop/ laptop team

@Greyface. I'm actually not convinced people want this at all. Maybe in the future if tablet hardware becomes powerful enough to run a desktop skin when attached to a keyboard and run all their native desktop apps. but that's, again, so far ahead that it's barely worth prognosticating about.

we're going to see some rough transitions with windows 8 tablets. I don't think their idea of weaving the desktop and touch environments is a slam dunk, at all. Maybe it can be handled better in the future.

ido

Fawk, that maroo sale code no longer works. Wish I had been keeping up with this thread earlier.

Fuck. I just barely caught it then. Try emailing them and tell them you were hestitant to order not sure if it would fit the new iPad and see if they'll hook you up. They reply to emails very quickly from my experience.

Blackhead

Redarse
^^^

Didn't you already sell your iPad?!

@Greyface. I'm actually not convinced people want this at all. Maybe in the future if tablet hardware becomes powerful enough to run a desktop skin when attached to a keyboard and run all their native desktop apps. but that's, again, so far ahead that it's barely worth prognosticating about.
Yeah Mac OS X is the most demanding desktop OS right now, requires the highest specs and Apple shows no signs of slowing down or slimming down their code for the current tablet hardware :/

we're going to see some rough transitions with windows 8 tablets. I don't think their idea of weaving the desktop and touch environments is a slam dunk, at all. Maybe it can be handled better in the future.

My comment had no implications for Windows 8 tablets. People want both an iPad and a Macbook air; they would prefer to have both in one device if possible. I can't say that people want Windows laptops much less Windows tablets. That's an entirely different proposition.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'd imagine when people talk about iOS and Mac OS merging, they probably don't literally mean into the same OS. More of a visual shift, a change in "feel". Oh? You have an iPad? Awesome, well if you'd like to buy an iMac, they look and feel the same, but with all these extra features!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Thing is still sitting in Nashville. I assume it will release Thursday and go on out to everyone. Amazon always ships their release date stuff the day before and I am always amazed it gets to me on time.

LCfiner

^^^

Didn't you already sell your iPad?!

Yeah Mac OS X is the most demanding desktop OS right now, requires the highest specs and Apple shows no signs of slowing down or slimming down their code for the current tablet hardware :/

My comment had no implications for Windows 8 tablets. People want both an iPad and a Macbook air; they would prefer to have both in one device if possible. I can't say that people want Windows laptops much less Windows tablets. That's an entirely different proposition.

Don't worry, I didn't think your comment was referring to windows 8 in particular but I mentioned it only because it is very close to release and touches on the themes we're talking about. (and also because the consumer preview has been a bit polarizing for attempting this merge)

If you keep it at home and look after it, you should have no scratches on the glass. Scratching rear is inevitable though. Any time you lay it flat, there is a danger that a bit of grit is in between the two surfaces.

If you want to carry it around losely in a bag, then yes, the back will scratch, and probably the glass too.

I apparently dropped my iPad 1 on something pointy sometime in the official (flimsy) apple case because lo and behold when I popped it out of the case to clean it up for sale there was a deep dent in the back panel (multiple millimeters).

And I'm *guessing* that if it had landed on the front the way it landed on the back, the glass would have cracked.

So what's a good iPad 2/3 case that protects against such damage, without being enormous or breaking the bank? I'm feeling pretty paranoid right now.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
How important is a cover? Are these things highly prone to scratches? I like the form factor and aesthetics as is.

entirely depends on what you do, if you are clumsy or have people using it that are I would say a case is necessary. Yes they can scratch pretty easily actually, particularly the back.

I went several months without getting a scratch on my ipad 2, then got a smart cover and the smart cover caused the ipad to slip off my coffee table and hit the tile floor from about 2.5 feet, put a nice crack right through the middle of the screen.

The irony sucked hard.

Enco

Most of the cases posted here are awful.

I've always used cases for my products but why people go for extreme cases is beyond me. Super thick cases that are far too bulky and super thin cases that are useless are a waste of money. Why not go in between and get a nice smallish case?

I licked the Smart Cover and soft back cover combo.

japtor

Is it a smaller iPad or a larger iPhone?
iPod note!

I don't have much interest in a smaller one unless it could support a real stylus, it'd replace my iPad for meeting notes. I guess drawing too but I'd prefer a bigger screen for that (c'mon next near's The new iPad!).
someone said you can use a mac with an app. That'll be good for me as I have a mini connected to the TV.
Yeah, I think it's called "Reflections". I tried out the demo and it worked. Playing music seemed to have issues (stutters/dropouts) but mirroring seemed somewhat ok. I'd just be worried about an update or something breaking it down the line. And of course for anyone without a Mac the Apple TV would be a much more cost effective option.
Don't worry, I didn't think your comment was referring to windows 8 in particular but I mentioned it only because it is very close to release and touches on the themes we're talking about. (and also because the consumer preview has been a bit polarizing for attempting this merge)
I thought Windows 8 was interesting cause it was basically MS doing what I expected Apple to do long term (share code base but use different UIs where appropriate)...then they decided to make different UIs available for everything.

How important is a cover? Are these things highly prone to scratches? I like the form factor and aesthetics as is.

The screen is pretty impervious to any damage with day to day usage. Same as iPhone screen. Mine looks perfect after 18 months of ownership, and it goes in and out of pockets dozens of times a day. The back is pretty resilient, but of course can get nicks and scratches if not handles properly. Honestly if I was only using my iPad at home, I wouldn't even bother with a case. If taken outside the house etc, different story.

railGUN

Banned
I got an email yesterday saying my iPad has shipped, and the email said it is set for delivery for March 16th - but the UPS tracking number page says that only a label has been generated, and it will update once it arrives at their shipping facility... The wait is killing me.

kruskev

lol I just saw that ebay had the same bag for 550 and grabbed it. I'm such a brand whore. so I did end up paying a little less for the case than the actual iPad itself :D

Top Bottom