• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Magnus

Here in the US you can print out a pre-sign form from Apple, authorizing UPS to leave the package at your front door. Just visit your order-status page on the apple web site.

Oh god no. I wouldn't dare risk having a goddamned iPad just left at my door. Crazy.

I'd rather travel across the city to guarantee its security.

Man, this week is killer. I thought the wait for the announcement was going to be tough. It was nothing...just excitement.

This week? Total impatience. I just want the thing pronto!

Jesus christ. $550 for an ipad case?

Clearly, he/she doesn't work in education. dang. That's some discretionary income right there.

amrod

I got an email yesterday saying my iPad has shipped, and the email said it is set for delivery for March 16th - but the UPS tracking number page says that only a label has been generated, and it will update once it arrives at their shipping facility... The wait is killing me.

Mine says the same

inf3cti0n

Banned
Add me in the "shipped" on the 11th but it still no tracking info :(

Mar 11, 2012 9:55 PM Shipment information sent to FedEx

Mar 11, 2012 5:56 PM Picked up ONTARIO, CA Future delivery requested

How can it be picked up prior to receiving the information?

Karud

My UPS tracking number doesn't even work. It shipped on friday, but the delivery-number and tracking-number are still the same. If I try to track the shipment on UPS.com it only states that they don't know my tracking number. Any solutions, because I really like tracking stuff. :D

Destination is Europe btw. If that matters.

Add me in the "shipped" on the 11th but it still no tracking info :(

Mar 11, 2012 9:55 PM Shipment information sent to FedEx

Mar 11, 2012 5:56 PM Picked up ONTARIO, CA Future delivery requested

How can it be picked up prior to receiving the information?

The driver picked it up from Apple's loading dock before the Fedex software on apple's shipping computer uploaded the records to the Fedex database?

Shippers use software from Fedex to generate the labels.. generally at the end of the day they would upload the shipment details to Fedex for billing purposes, etc.

FreeMufasa

My UPS tracking number doesn't even work. It shipped on friday, but the delivery-number and tracking-number are still the same. If I try to track the shipment on UPS.com it only states that they don't know my tracking number. Any solutions, because I really like tracking stuff. :D

Destination is Europe btw. If that matters.

Same for me and it shipped on Saturday. Meh, never been one to track anyway.

Same here. It has been "preparing" for a few days now.

Maybe it has to do with location?
Yeah I would imagine so.

I really hope mine is shipped UPS. Mostly because my UPS driver usually delivers around 10-12, whereas Fedex doesn't usually arrive until after 5. :\ First world problems...

Zeth

So to my Middletown, PA folks: When do we expect them to leave that location for delivery? Mine is coming to Philly suburb.

tralfazz

So to my Middletown, PA folks: When do we expect them to leave that location for delivery? Mine is coming to Philly suburb.

I live up near Allentown and I'd expect them to leave that facility about 1-2 in the morning Friday, hit your local distribution center around 4:30ish and then leave for local delivery around 7am.

My Apple TV is still processing too, I'm sure that'll change in the next day or so.

Already got my red smart cover. So lovely! It's going to go great with white.

Zeth

It looks like they're sister sites since the tabs on the top include Highsnobiety.
oops

That thing looks nice, but I'd give a kidney for a case from Original Fake, Bape, or even The Hundreds.

I live up near Allentown and I'd expect them to leave that facility about 1-2 in the morning Friday, hit your local distribution center around 4:30ish and then leave for local delivery around 7am.
Sounds right, just close enough for me to get worried late Thursday haha. I'll be passing the time with Dodonpachi Resurrection HD though.

I'm really damn impressed with the iOS iPhoto journal creation and sharing. Awesome replacement for mobileme galleries, so easy to whip up a great looking album that looks slick when sharing and so easily modified at any time.

giga

Some details on what Apple is doing to provide high res image assets on their website: http://cloudfour.com/how-apple-com-will-serve-retina-images-to-new-ipads/

What they’ve chose to do is load the regular images for the site and then if the device requesting the page is a new iPad with the retina display, they use javascript to replace the image with a high-res version of it.

The heavy lifting for the image replacement is being done by image_replacer.js.

Regular: http://images.apple.com/home/images/ipad_hero.jpg
Retina: http://images.apple.com/home/images/ipad_hero_2x.jpg

Regular: http://images.apple.com/ipad/home/images/overview_bucket_camera.jpg
Retina: http://images.apple.com/ipad/home/images/overview_bucket_camera_2x.jpg

Regular: http://images.apple.com/ipad/features/images/performance_icon.png
Retina: http://images.apple.com/ipad/features/images/performance_icon_2x.png

I'm sure it's been mentioned but did Apple change the release date from the 13th to 16th?

When I was tracking my package before, it said the 13th. Now its being held hostage in the FedEx depot in Nashville, Tn.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
why dont' apple build in ipad mirroring to OSX? Surely its completely sensible to do?

BTW, the HDMI adapter for the ipad is $40, the apple TV is $99. I'd be tempted to go the extra mile and get the apple TV. You can hide it away if you're only going to use it for airplay, and you get the benefit of not having a tethered ipad, plus the extra features on the apple tv (eg jailbreak it and put XBMC/plex on it)

jts

...hate me...
why dont' apple build in ipad mirroring to OSX? Surely its completely sensible to do?
Thiiiiiiiiis. Even if I own an Apple TV, it annoys me that they keep this feature artificially exclusive feature to it :(

BTW, the HDMI adapter for the ipad is $40, the apple TV is $99. I'd be tempted to go the extra mile and get the apple TV. You can hide it away if you're only going to use it for airplay, and you get the benefit of not having a tethered ipad, plus the extra features on the apple tv (eg jailbreak it and put XBMC/plex on it)
True, but with the HDMI adapter you get a no compression and lag free experience, which can be important in some cases, especially gaming.

It's built into Mountain Lion.

jts

...hate me...
What I really crave is a full media-rich companion app for iOS on OS X. Works via bluetooth or wi-fi. You can blast anything you want with the current AirPlay tech on your iOS devices to your Mac, music, video, mirroring (if supported), AND, with an iPhone paired to your Mac, you could make and receive calls with full access to your contact list, just like you can with a bluetooth car kit. On top of that, text syncing would be gravy.

That app is just waiting to be written dammit!

Phreaker

FedEx tried to deliver mine on Saturday but I wasn't home. He came today and asked what all these people were getting from Apple. He said he had a bunch to deliver. I didn't expect that kind of demand in Delaware.

Mine tried to deliver it on Saturday to my office. A co-worker and I were coming in from lunch today and standing at the elevator. He said, "One of you wouldn't just happen to be [my name]?" I said, "Yes". He said, "Today is my lucky day, one less elevator. I think this is your iPad cover. Do you know what day you are getting your iPad?" I said, "Yes, Friday" He said, "Do you know which carrier?" I said, "Yes, FedEx." He kind of rolled his eyes and said, "Okay, I guess I'll be seeing you are a bunch of others on Friday then." I work in a high-tech area so I bet they are going to have a shit ton to deliver.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
So my order is now preparing to ship, but I haven't been billed.

In fact the charge that had been pending on the account for the last week is now gone. Normal? Not how it happened last year anyhow.

To those who owned or have owned the red smartcover:

How dirty does it get? Is it easy to clean?

I ordered a black iPad, and the black + red combination has me drooling.

Think I will buy the apple tv this weekend and give it a go, never had one and honestly never thought I would need one with a pc plus family computers around the home, but having it for airplay and movie rentals has taken my fancy to new heights. The size of the thing is also great.

Top Bottom