• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

kr2t0s

Who makes a good stylus? A major part of my usage will be taking notes and such during meetings.

I recommend either the jot(or jot pro) or the bamboo stylus. I also recommend 3 apps: bamboo, upad or noteshelf. Bamboo is free and has the best handwriting engine.

Speaking of stylus - I just saw this video review of the ipen by cregle.:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtchDC4mslI

Looks terrible IMO. But to be fair here is another video using a completely different app:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQmCvclotI4

This potentially could be a perfect example of when I say it's not always about the stylus but also about the app you are using.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Folks freaking out about delivery, every time I pre order a game from amazon with release day delivery they ship it with less than 24 hours to go. You'd be surprised how quick things can get to you.

japtor

http://www.airserverapp.com/ <- not free but fairly cheap
Heh, just a little while ago when the Reflections app came out, Air Server didn't do mirroring (just media streaming). Wonder if they just figured out what Reflections was doing and copied it.
Sending extra data that's not going to be used isn't progress.
Depending on how the script works you wouldn't necessarily be sending extra data.
To all of those buying Apple TV, why, movies?
Mainly playing content off my computer on whatever TV. Not so much through iTunes (although I do have a good bit of content there too) but just random stuff through iOS streaming apps.
Who makes a good stylus? A major part of my usage will be taking notes and such during meetings.
I use the Jot but eh, it's ok. My main issues with it are that I find you might have to use more pressure with it vs others (not necessarily a huge amount, but even a little extra is annoying), and since there's no give with it or the iPad it's a pretty noisy experience, basically tapping on glass with a stick.

We have Directv as well, renting from there is worse!

I didn't mean we rent from Directv. I meant if thunderstorms take out our ability to record a show for free, we turn to iTunes.

All the servies, imo, charge too much for movie rentals. I'd rather just go on down to our local grocery store and grab a new release for a dollar from Redbox.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Do we know for sure what cases will work with the new iPad? I need to order one soon. Doesn't need to be flashy but I'd prefer something thin.

HoTHiTTeR

Heard some people @ Starbucks talking about iPad orders today... overheard that most peoples that shipped over the weekend were "coming from somewhere in China". I assume these folks are talking about how Apple ships directly from Shenzhen. Others who just had their shipment notices delivered today were "coming from Ontario, Ca" - this is what my day 1, 3rd hour order looks like.

tl;dr - if you ordered early, you're item was already in the states and comes from locally within. Order later; get it directly from China. (I'm guessing this is how ALL apple TV's are coming too)

lol his package is coming from there and so is mine. By a chance are you going to Penn State Harrisburg?

I used to attend there about seven years ago... It is literally less than two minutes away. As is the airport and fed ex / ups have places very close. Perhaps I should be swiping these iPads to get them to gaffers quicker? Haha. Mine better damn well be there too, need to check

ido

Heard some people @ Starbucks talking about iPad orders today... overheard that most peoples that shipped over the weekend were "coming from somewhere in China". I assume these folks are talking about how Apple ships directly from Shenzhen. Others who just had their shipment notices delivered today were "coming from Ontario, Ca" - this is what my day 1, 3rd hour order looks like.

tl;dr - if you ordered early, you're item was already in the states and comes from locally within. Order later; get it directly from China. (I'm guessing this is how ALL apple TV's are coming too)

I don't think that is true.

I ordered mine as soon as the pre-orders went up, and mine is being sent via UPS and it originated in China. It went through Chengdu and Shanghai before arriving in Alaska, I believe. From there it has made its way closer and closer to me(I live in Mississippi).

numble

I don't think that is true.

I ordered mine as soon as the pre-orders went up, and mine is being sent via UPS and it originated in China. It went through Chengdu and Shanghai before arriving in Alaska, I believe. From there it has made its way closer and closer to me(I live in Mississippi).
Did you get an engraving? That might be a reason for China shipments.

ido

Did you get an engraving? That might be a reason for China shipments.

Yes. So you very well could be right.

Edit: also, is it just me or does UPS have the most fucked up tracking system ever?

EPZ, China 03/09/2012 10:21 P.M. Origin Scan
China 03/10/2012 10:22 P.M. Order Processed: Ready for UPS

huh.

Zeth

I think everyone has the standard 3pm message. Unless they're doing something different that day, I'' probably get it later than that. My FedEx guy almost always gets to me later than 3 and closer to 5-6. FWP.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Most of you all will not be getting your ipads by 3. When i got my 4s it showed up to my doorstep at 8 PM lol.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
To all of those buying Apple TV, why, movies?

I have the MLB Package so I want to watch it on the big screen sometimes. Other times I will look at it via Apple TV. My TV has an app in it that is supposed to show games, but never quite worked correctly last season. I also want it to watch netflix, stream music off iTunes Match, internet radio as well.

My smartcover, ordered at the same time as my iPad, was delivered to my work on Friday 9am. I'm STILL waiting for it to get through our mail system to me. This does not bode well for this Friday...

Mashing

I've used the iPad app. It's okay. When u open it and are online, it works just like the website. Moving from page to page is a bit slow.

And ur allowed to have one offline book in your book bag.

Now answer me this, why books are you usin to study? And are you using Olive, JUNOSsphere or real hardware?

I'm using the fast track portal, and I'm reading the O'Reily Junos Switching and Routing books. As for what hardware? Currently I home, I do not have anything setup. I just learned about olive's, so I may set one of those up. At work, I have access to EX series switches that I can mess around on. I just started the Juniper certification process, so I'm studying for the JNCIA-Junos right now which really doesn't need practice hardware. I don't see myself paying for JUNOSphere access.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I don't expect many websites to update to high res images for iPad. There are already high red pc monitors out there and the sites seem fine. Just apple doing it for marketing and they can show customers in store how great it looks

Plus if you're on 3/4G you don't want massive images downloading - twice

MasLegio

Banned
I don't expect many websites to update to high res images for iPad. There are already high red pc monitors out there and the sites seem fine. Just apple doing it for marketing and they can show customers in store how great it looks

Plus if you're on 3/4G you don't want massive images downloading - twice

Hopefully sites that have created ipad versions of their sites will make iPad 3 load the regular desktop version of their website instead of the "lowres" ipad version.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm happy with mobile optimised sites, I want info quickly. Text and readability are what will get the benefit, I'm not sure photos etc need retina as much

Aiii

So not worth it
Hopefully sites that have created ipad versions of their sites will make iPad 3 load the regular desktop version of their website instead of the "lowres" ipad version.

To this day there are websites out there that force iPad users to their mobile version and give them no option to view the desktop version.

Even worse, there's still websites that automatically forward you to the App Store to their iPad App if you try to reach their website.

As a webdesigner myself, that just makes me want to kick whoever made that in that balls. Unforgivable.

I recommend either the jot(or jot pro) or the bamboo stylus. I also recommend 3 apps: bamboo, upad or noteshelf. Bamboo is free and has the best handwriting engine.

Speaking of stylus - I just saw this video review of the ipen by cregle.:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtchDC4mslI

Looks terrible IMO. But to be fair here is another video using a completely different app:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQmCvclotI4

This potentially could be a perfect example of when I say it's not always about the stylus but also about the app you are using.
There seems to be way more lag in her review footage than any of the Cregle videos, even when they're both using the same app, Ghostwriter.

I imagine this is because she's using an iPad 1, and they were using an iPad 2.

There seems to be way more lag in her review footage than any of the Cregle videos, even when they're both using the same app, Ghostwriter.

I imagine this is because she's using an iPad 1, and they were using an iPad 2.

Re: delay issue

The inking delay results from either app algorithm or iPad models. iPad 2 is much powerful than iPad 1, so the inking delay will have less effect in iPad 2. We are aware of the delay issue in Ghostwriter Notes. Ghostwriter told us they will fix this issue in the coming release. If you have further questions, you can reach them at: support@majorspot.com . Their support will help you to use iPen in their app.

Every app has different inking algorithm with its pro and con. We had tested Noteshelf beta as shown in the following video. The inking delay can almost be ignored. Noteshelf iPen version will come out this month.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ipen/ipen-the-first-active-stylus-for-ipad/posts

lexi

Banned
To this day there are websites out there that force iPad users to their mobile version and give them no option to view the desktop version.

Even worse, there's still websites that automatically forward you to the App Store to their iPad App if you try to reach their website.

As a webdesigner myself, that just makes me want to kick whoever made that in that balls. Unforgivable.

This sounds awful, is there a useragent hack for iPad? Without jailbreaking? >.>

There are browsers that let you change between PC and mobile user agents. At least Skyfire allows that. If you want to change your Safari user agent I guess you have to jailbreak.

Shearie

This sounds awful, is there a useragent hack for iPad? Without jailbreaking? >.>

This has nothing to do with hacking, just bad website design.

Aiii

So not worth it
Anyway, in somewhat related iPad news, apparently the GPS tracking of stolen iPad's is useless in The Netherlands.

Pardon the dutch quote:
In Hengelo werd vorige maand een iPad uit een woning gestolen. Via een app wist de eigenaar enkele uren na de diefstal zijn iPad te lokaliseren, schrijft TC Tubantia. De bewuste woning was voor de politie een bekend adres.

Tot frustratie van zowel de eigenaar als de politie gaf het OM geen toestemming om in huiszoeking te doen.

Het feit dat een gestolen iPad zich op een door het apparaat zelf aangegeven adres bevindt, is voor het Openbaar Ministerie niet voldoende om toestemming te geven voor het doorzoeken van de woning. ''Zoeking is een heel zwaar middel”, zegt Tineke Zwart van het Openbaar Ministerie. De politie mag alleen een huis binnentreden als er ‘concrete verdenking is tegen een persoon waarvan je weet dat die zich in de woning bevindt.’

Translation, The owner of a stolen iPad was able to locate the iPad within hours of the theft using an app (obviously the iCloud website). However, the Dutch Public Prosecutor refused to give out a search warrant for the house (belonging to a person that is known by the justice department, their way of saying he has been accused or convicted of criminal offenses in the past). Because there is no concrete suspision against this person for stealing the iPad.

What is comes down to is, even though the owner can proof via Apple's own system that the iPad is in the house, since he cannot prove the owner of said house is the person that actually stole the iPad, they cannot issue a search warrant for the house to retrieve said iPad. Because in Holland, harboring stolen goods is apparently not a reason to get a search warrant.

It's an odd case, because I'm pretty sure that if I stole a Porsche 911 today, parked it in my garage, the police would still be knocking my door down due to the build in GPS anti-theft system. But I guess an iPad just isn't important enough.

I expect some backtracking by the justice department as this news story spreads across Dutch Media though.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/14/sample-photos-and-screenshots-from-3rd-generation-ipad/

"These applications are developed by Apple has been upgraded to support the Retina screen, for example with Keynote (iWork software sets), this application previously only 115MB capacity but its latest version is 327MB. Numbers from 109MB or 283MB up to, from 95MB to 269MB Pages, iMovie from 70MB to 404MB."

16 GB 3rd generation iPads all screaming in unison.

MasLegio

Banned
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/14/sample-photos-and-screenshots-from-3rd-generation-ipad/

"These applications are developed by Apple has been upgraded to support the Retina screen, for example with Keynote (iWork software sets), this application previously only 115MB capacity but its latest version is 327MB. Numbers from 109MB or 283MB up to, from 95MB to 269MB Pages, iMovie from 70MB to 404MB."

16 GB 3rd generation iPads all screaming in unison.

had considered buying the 32 gb ipad since my 16gb ipad 1 was always out of space. But now it looks like I have to go for the 64 gb version even though I barely can afford it.
Hopefully I will have recieved my insurance money from the break-in when my original ipad was stolen when the new ipad is released in sweden.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
My Apple TV is still processing too, I'm sure that'll change in the next day or so.Already got my red smart cover. So lovely! It's going to go great with white.

Ditto and ditto. Red smart cover in hand...waiting for my white precious to show up. Best combo, confirmed.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ditto and ditto. Red smart cover in hand...waiting for my white precious to show up. Best combo, confirmed.

odds on being able to swap a 32GB black out for a 64GB white instore on release day? (I have a preorder coming by post so can't queue up at the same time).

any idea whether HMV will get any in for launch day? Apparantly currys in the UK have received stock today, so availability should be better than last year (only PC world had ipad 2 at launch)

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
odds on being able to swap a 32GB black out for a 64GB white instore on release day? (I have a preorder coming by post so can't queue up at the same time).

Apple is likely going to have a separate cache of iPads that they hold onto in stores for customer issues (defective, broken...etc), but don't think a swap would qualify as something that they'd dip into their stock for...but maybe!

Worth calling and asking about day of...but I wouldn't bet on it.

Top Bottom