• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

I'm not saying I hate you guys, but I'm just going to pretend the launch is in April and I'm getting mine on time.

And why the hell isn't there an iPad version of the Apple Store app?

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Decided to roll the dice and buy that iPad back cover/skin I talked about before in white.

My only peeve with the iPad 2 w/Smart Cover combo was the delicacy of laying it on it's back. Hoping with a thin layer of faux-leather I won't get all nervous about laying it on it's back.

Worst case it's just $30 down the drain (including shipping). Hope it looks good and functions well...a bit skeptical to be honest but if it works I'll probably be a loud and proud advocate of these.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Decided to roll the dice and buy that iPad back cover/skin I talked about before in white.

My only peeve with the iPad 2 w/Smart Cover combo was the delicacy of laying it on it's back. Hoping with a thin layer of faux-leather I won't get all nervous about laying it on it's back.

Worst case it's just $30 down the drain (including shipping). Hope it looks good and functions well...a bit skeptical to be honest but if it works I'll probably be a loud and proud advocate of these.

Let us know how it works, I actually like the look of that. I am typically a smart cover only type of person, but that thin layer might be nice to have.

Two days until the new iPad arrives. I'm starting to get excited. After following the announcement last week I immediately placed my pre-order then sort of forgot about it. It just dawned on me this morning that it'll be arriving on Friday. I'm so glad we don't have to wait weeks for it to come out.

Only downside is that I am having issues with the battery in my iPhone and I'll have to make an appointment this weekend to go to the Genius Bar. I just know the Apple Store is going to be a mad house.

PaulLFC

Any UK Gaffers had shipping updates yet from couriers? Mine is still in Syncreon's depot, so I don't even know who'll be delivering it at the moment!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Black iPad > White iPad

my head says this, but I think red smart cover + white ipad would go better in my lounge

xkMl0.jpg

(thats a little old, but the colour scheme is still there - cables tidied, cream rug and coffee table in front of corner sofa)

NekoFever

Any UK Gaffers had shipping updates yet from couriers? Mine is still in Syncreon's depot, so I don't even know who'll be delivering it at the moment!
Mine's with TNT and hasn't updated at all since it was dispatched on Friday/Saturday. Almost certainly the couriers are holding on to them until Friday under orders from Apple and we'll start to see movement on Thursday.

RubxQub

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
my head says this, but I think red smart cover + white ipad would go better in my lounge

xkMl0.jpg

(thats a little old, but the colour scheme is still there - cables tidied, cream rug and coffee table in front of corner sofa)

Nice choice with your furniture.

Mine's with TNT and hasn't updated at all since it was dispatched on Friday/Saturday. Almost certainly the couriers are holding on to them until Friday under orders from Apple and we'll start to see movement on Thursday.

Same here. The TNT number isn't even recognised yet.

Just checked tracking on my iPad for the first time and see that it has already been picked up in Nashville and is on it way to here in Austin, TX. I wasn't worried about getting it all before and now it seems I'll have zero issues with it arriving on Friday.

And for those sweating out the delivery status, I wouldn't worry about it. Apple has a great track record for getting their products in customers hands on launch day, but sometimes the tracking isn't updated the way it should be. I forget exactly which of their products I ordered (I order many!) but the tracking said my device was stuck in Indianapolis or something and then the delivery guy showed up at my door. With this many items being shipped on one day you know that there are going to be a few issues with tracking updates.

pubba

I was planning to camp out and wait in line at the apple store this Thursday night. They told me that the shopping centre would be closed till 9am but people could wait at the main entrance and then do a mad dash for the apple store inside when the doors open.

Then I called JB HI FI (a big electrical retailers here in Australia) and the IT guy said that they already have the iPad 3 delivery and would put one aside me for Friday morning. No long queues or waiting for 9-10 hours. Just walk in and pick it up!

So for any Australian iPad fans - maybe hit up your local JB HI FI instead? My workmate did the same thing at a Harvey Norman store and had one reserved too.

^^OMG, that looks beautiful!^^

Same here. The TNT number isn't even recognised yet.

Off-Topic Question to those of you in Europe who use TNT: Are they a huge company over there? My company, specifically myself, have dealt with them quite a few times over the past few years for shipping stuff Internationally, and it has always been a headache. The largest problem is that since they don't have a depot close enough to me in Ohio, I'm not allowed to create an account, nor am I allowed to schedule an outgoing shipment even with an account number of the receiving customer. It's all understandable, but I'm just curious as to how well they do in Europe, and the Asias. I'm from the United States, btw. Also, they're customer service sucks, I've spent hours talking to them about solutions to our problems.

RubxQub

God that image loads so slowly...got it going in another tab.

I'd recommend linking to it instead of embedding it!

Edit: Jesus, it's still loading, but it's so god damn beautiful. The resolution on this thing is so freaking crazy. I can't wait to get it in my hands and just gawk at it.

Spacebar

I was planning to camp out and wait in line at the apple store this Thursday night. They told me that the shopping centre would be closed till 9am but people could wait at the main entrance and then do a mad dash for the apple store inside when the doors open.

Then I called JB HI FI (a big electrical retailers here in Australia) and the IT guy said that they already have the iPad 3 delivery and would put one aside me for Friday morning. No long queues or waiting for 9-10 hours. Just walk in and pick it up!

So for any Australian iPad fans - maybe hit up your local JB HI FI instead? My workmate did the same thing at a Harvey Norman store and had one reserved too.

This will not end well.

Phreaker

Who makes a good stylus? A major part of my usage will be taking notes and such during meetings.

I use the Boxwave stylus for the same thing, it works pretty well. I also use it to annotate PDFs and draw. I'm not sure if there is something better out there now, but it was highly recommended when I got it (1.5 years ago for my OG iPad). I mainly use NoteTaker HD for taking notes. NoteTaker HD Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdGDnUKZcMM&feature=channel

RubxQub

i changed it to host it somewhere else. better?

Yep! Insta-load....FUUUU it's glorious!

Shitty non-Retina app icons are going to be the bane of my existence. They're so hideous!

MasLegio

Banned
considering the increased resolution, is it possbible to change a setting in new ipad to have five columns of apps instead of four in portrait mode?

or just lessen the space between app icons
seems like a waste of space

Enco

Ew at the non retina icons.

It's like the iPhone 4 all over again. After a long enough period, if the devs hadn't updated their app to be retina ready, I would delete it.

Yep! Insta-load....FUUUU it's glorious!

Shitty non-Retina app icons are going to be the bane of my existence. They're so hideous!

I had to remove that because IMGUR compresses photo. I put in the original link again. do you have a image hosting website which does not compress images?

^^OMG, that looks beautiful!^^

Off-Topic Question to those of you in Europe who use TNT: Are they a huge company over there? My company, specifically myself, have dealt with them quite a few times over the past few years for shipping stuff Internationally, and it has always been a headache. The largest problem is that since they don't have a depot close enough to me in Ohio, I'm not allowed to create an account, nor am I allowed to schedule an outgoing shipment even with an account number of the receiving customer. It's all understandable, but I'm just curious as to how well they do in Europe, and the Asias. I'm from the United States, btw. Also, they're customer service sucks, I've spent hours talking to them about solutions to our problems.

TNT are a load of shitty shit. When I saw that's who would be shipping my new shiny Apple device my heart sank slightly. FUCKING SIGH.

peetfeet

Mine too. I wish they'd at least tell us who will actually be delivering them so I can disappoint myself by refreshing the page to find no status updates!

I guess there will be signs of life either late tonight or tomorrow morning when they move to a nearer depot for next day delivery. I hope.

ipad has finally made it to the states from china! 2 more days! I sold my ipad 1 a few weeks back and I feel like something has been missing in my life since.

I never realized how much I needed it till it was gone. =*(

Will the ipad 1 to ipad 3 be as big of leap as iphone 2G to iphone 4 was for me?

sfedai0

Banned

Let us know how it is. It dosent seem to cover the sides though. Anyone getting this?http://switcheasy.com/product.php?product=NUDE_iPad2

those direct screens really show how much of an improvement the resolution is, wow.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/14/sample-photos-and-screenshots-from-3rd-generation-ipad/

"These applications are developed by Apple has been upgraded to support the Retina screen, for example with Keynote (iWork software sets), this application previously only 115MB capacity but its latest version is 327MB. Numbers from 109MB or 283MB up to, from 95MB to 269MB Pages, iMovie from 70MB to 404MB."

16 GB 3rd generation iPads all screaming in unison.

ok now I think 16GB should have been phased out for ipads, this is silly.

TNT are a load of shitty shit. When I saw that's who would be shipping my new shiny Apple device my heart sank slightly. FUCKING SIGH.

Well, I'm glad to know it wasn't just my dealings with them I suppose. We actually request that customers don't use TNT anymore.

Let us know how it is. It dosent seem to cover the sides though. Anyone getting this?http://switcheasy.com/product.php?product=NUDE_iPad2

I may have to get one of those.

Top Bottom