• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Vyer

Yeah, it's gonna take a while for apps to update.

Though, I have to say it was kind of cool to get a new update on the phone and see the improvement time and time again. Kind of made me appreciate the screen longer. lol

Though, I have to say it was kind of cool to get a new update on the phone and see the improvement time and time again. Kind of made me appreciate the screen longer. lol

tell me about it. My iPhone 4 got stolen and I had to revert back to a 3GS. whenever I look at someone else's iPhone 4, the difference is night and day

mrklaw

MrArseFace
ok now I think 16GB should have been phased out for ipads, this is silly.

I can only think apple spent their money on the screen and couldn't afford (lol) to update storage as well, while keeping prices stable.

Next year the cost of the screen should have come down and they can bump storage for the same price.

and quad core A15 please :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I hate new device/new ios version time. the number of apps needing to be updated just gets out of hand. Particularly frustrating for me as I have apps from both UK and US stores, and the ipad can only update one or other at a time

can you set the ipad to just automatically update apps in the background?

I wish the FaceTime cam was half as good.

Or that they stuck the 4S camera on the back...

Or that it had 802.11ac...

Or that it had 2 GB...

Or A6, four-core processor...

Or all of the cries for haptic...

But, hey, these are things for the new, new iPad. Hopefully end of this year.

Or that it had 2 GB...

None of this would've been really necessary, but a VGA FFC in 2012 is a bit embarrassing.

Cheebo

Banned

Or that it had 2 GB...

End of year? Why do people always get convinced Apple will speed up their update process. March 2013 will be the 4th revision. Not any sooner.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

Or that it had 2 GB...

Is it not evident by not that apple really only does annual product updates.

None of this would've been really necessary, but a VGA FFC in 2012 is a bit embarrassing.

Fine. Then next year.

But the tablet/mobile technology space moves very quickly. Nvidia will be moving toward Tegra 4 in the fall. Snapdragon 2 on the horizon.

And I think all of those things will be necessary, as well as a new graphics card.

andycapps

For tablet cameras it's a step up, but the 4S camera is still quite a bit better, and any point and shoot is miles beyond this. But hey, if you have your tablet out and want to take a quick picture, it's the type of thing that'd do okay.

I'd say their main focus in this version of the iPad was definitely the resolution, and the processor to power that display smoothly. The camera was a bump up, but still a ways to improve. And yeah, what's with only VGA FFC still. That's a bummer.

This is why the resale value is so high right before an announcement. Also look at people on the Gaming Side that complain about Apple's annual refresh cycle.

The issue is it's essentially a computer.

Apples refresh cycle is annually. I can see why they adopt this conservative attitude.

But most vendors refresh their lines semi-annually due to new Intel/AMD processors, Graphics cards, etc.

Enco

Or that it had 2 GB...

Pretty much none of these features are game changers.

The iPad is fast as it is, the camera is already good (plus no one uses it seriously for pictures) and haptics are an unnecessary gimmick.

Also, there's pretty much no chance we'll get another iPad this year. If we do, Apple dun fucked up.

kaskade

Apologies if this has been covered, but what's the best comic book reader for iPad? Any word on which will support retina?
I use Comic Zeal. It's the only one I bought but never had any complaints. It seems to be the universally liked reader as well.

A tweet from them said this "CZ should already support the new iPad retina display for reading comics and updated artwork is on the way."

So I guess the comics will be hi res but the actually app won't be 100% retina yet.

edit: here's a link to there site so you can check it out. http://www.comiczealapp.com/

SuperPac

Fine. Then next year.

But the tablet/mobile technology space moves very quickly. Nvidia will be moving toward Tegra 4 in the fall. Snapdragon 2 on the horizon.

And I think all of those things will be necessary, as well as a new graphics card.

I like how this year's iPad isn't even out and we're talking about things "necessary" for the next one to have based on features that hypothetical tablets by competitors may have. It seems thus far the tablet/smartphone market hasn't so much been all about specs.

Kjellson

This has most likely been discussed before, but is it true that only the US and Canada has the 4G version? When will Europe get it? What's the difference between 3G and 4G anyway?

Blackhead

Redarse
For tablet cameras it's a step up, but the 4S camera is still quite a bit better, and any point and shoot is miles beyond this. But hey, if you have your tablet out and want to take a quick picture, it's the type of thing that'd do okay.

I'd say their main focus in this version of the iPad was definitely the resolution, and the processor to power that display smoothly. The camera was a bump up, but still a ways to improve. And yeah, what's with only VGA FFC still. That's a bummer.

HoTHiTTeR

my head says this, but I think red smart cover + white ipad would go better in my lounge

xkMl0.jpg

(thats a little old, but the colour scheme is still there - cables tidied, cream rug and coffee table in front of corner sofa)

That was my iPad 2 setup... Loved the color combo so much, that I'm doing it again.

photo%25201.JPG

Cheebo

Banned
The issue is it's essentially a computer.

Apples refresh cycle is annually. I can see why they adopt this conservative attitude.

But most vendors refresh their lines semi-annually due to new Intel/AMD processors, Graphics cards, etc.
Apple doesnt upgrade their traditional PC's as much as other vendors either.

Refreshing more than once annually will put off consumers. There nothing positive in Apple's favor if they mess with this cycle any time soon.

New Macs once a year, New iPads once a year, New iPods once a year, New iOS once a year, (and now) new OSX once a year.

Apple clearly likes this set cycle, it works great for them.

Now that we know the 3rd gen iPad is slow and unresponsive compared to the iPad 2; also is basically a huge, fat brick likened to the original Xbox controller, I'm ready for the thinner, lighter and faster iPad 4.

Look at that. Should have bought a Kindle especially if you want to read in that environment. Dude can't even see the screen in that sunlight.

Fine. Then next year.

Apple doesn't really compete on specs. They put in what's necessary to provide a very good user experience. None of those specs you listed will make Android or Windows 8 tablets better than the iPad.

I like how this year's iPad isn't even out and we're talking about things "necessary" for the next one to have based on features that hypothetical tablets by competitors may have. It seems thus far the tablet/smartphone market hasn't so much been all about specs.

Well, honestly, we have nothing to do except discuss recommended apps, where are shipments are, are hypebeasts going to camp out in front of stores and wanted features.

I think with Netbooks singing their swan songs, the next year (especially with the release of Win 8), will determine if the tablet market is a "fad" and just simply iPad or if it's sustainable.

If it is, the demand for more power is going to be there as people replace their PCs with iPads (this is probably a year or two off, hopefully by then Apple will have a bluetooth controller, etc).

On Friday, I'm going to be just happy to have an iPad again. I've been using a Touchpad in the interim, and it's limited.

Apologies if this has been covered, but what's the best comic book reader for iPad? Any word on which will support retina?

I've used Comiczeal and Comicglass. I haven't touched Comiczeal since probably around the iPhone 4s release. The database issues made it bloated and slow. But that could've changed.

Comicglass has been pretty good.

With the bloated ipad app sizes and how the 16gb is now rather stupid to buy I am honestly thinking about buying a cheaper ipad 2 as my first tablet, it's still going to be good, but man it's like nearly half the price in uk £ compared to buying a 32gb 3rg gen. ugh :/

SuperPac

If it is, the demand for more power is going to be there as people replace their PCs with iPads (this is probably a year or two off, hopefully by then Apple will have a bluetooth controller, etc).

On Friday, I'm going to be just happy to have an iPad again. I've been using a Touchpad in the interim, and it's limited.

I do not see Apple releasing a bluetooth controller for iPad. Maybe for Apple TV, but that really depends on what their ongoing strategy is for that device. Keep in mind Apple used to make a keyboard dock for iPad and discontinued it. I think that makes it clear they don't have any interest in selling alternate input methods specifically for the iPad themselves.

But regardless of that, I don't know if the market at large thinks of the iPad as a replacement for the PC. Are the people who buy iPads looking for better graphics performance than the iPad gives them, or is it the user experience which other manufacturers have struggled to duplicate?

I do not see Apple releasing a bluetooth controller for iPad. Maybe for Apple TV, but that really depends on what their ongoing strategy is for that device. Keep in mind Apple used to make a keyboard dock for iPad and discontinued it. I think that makes it clear they don't have any interest in selling alternate input methods specifically for the iPad themselves.

But regardless of that, I don't know if the market at large thinks of the iPad as a replacement for the PC. Are the people who buy iPads looking for better graphics performance than the iPad gives them, or is it the user experience which other manufacturers have struggled to duplicate?

Normally, when I get home from work, I just play Xbox, or watch a movie. Generally while I'm doing these things, I have my laptop by my side to look up random things, browse the forums, or chat with friends. Now, my laptop is going to sit on my desk, while my iPad is next to me to do all of those things with greater ease. That's where its strength lies, and I think Apple knows that.

I think as time goes on people will view them as PC replacements because of

Browsing
Email
Games
Productivity (Pages, Numbers, Office and whenever Adobe makes iPad versions of its suite of products)
Facebook

Now will there still be a market for PCs, sure. But does your grandma, kids, wife need one if one day the iPad can do these competently? Apple definitely opened up a can of worms. My issues are just the inputs for the device. Again, this isn't something immediate. The market has to determine if tablets are longterm or simply a fad like netbooks.

And we've seen inklings of the iPad as potentially a mainstream game device (latest is the EA thread on gaming side).

Not sure if this has been answered anywhere but is the GPU the same as the one in the VITA?

Now will there still be a market for PCs, sure. But does your grandma, kids, wife need one if one day the iPad can do these competently? Apple definitely opened up a can of worms. My issues are just the inputs for the device. Again, this isn't something immediate. The market has to determine if tablets are longterm or simply a fad like netbooks.

But if the idea for the iPad is to replace a PC for Grandma, and your kids, then why do they need to worry about different inputs for longevity?

Still not scared of the 16GB. Streaming and cloud FTW. Don't use any of those iLife apps. Half the fun is cycling new and old stuff. :)

Agreed.

jts

...hate me...
With the bloated ipad app sizes and how the 16gb is now rather stupid to buy I am honestly thinking about buying a cheaper ipad 2 as my first tablet, it's still going to be good, but man it's like nearly half the price in uk £ compared to buying a 32gb 3rg gen. ugh :/
That's just silly, 16GB on an iPad 3rd gen is not stupid. Stupid would be to buy an iPad 2 16GB when you can buy the entry iPad 3, and justifying it by comparing the prices between them on different storage sizes.

A 16GB iPad 3rd gen won't magically lose its retina display, 1GB of RAM, quad core GPU, 5MPx camera. It's a much much better device that you'll be missing out.

Besides iOS itself, the only assets that will take more space and thus require a BIT more of micromanagement will be basically self taken photos and videos, and that's only due to the increased resolution of the camera.

Bloated apps are a non-issue because they use a universal binary, which means that if you update or download apps on your iPad 2 that support the retina display, you'll be downloading/installing the SAME .ipa file that you would on an iPad 3, and it'll take the SAME amount of storage, and include all the retina assets, even if the iPad 2 doesn't use them at all. Problem?
troll%20icon.png

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Still not scared of the 16GB. Streaming and cloud FTW. Don't use any of those iLife apps. Half the fun is cycling new and old stuff. :)

I'd be a LITTLE scared of 16GB, but I don't suspect it's going to be as terrible as we're all making it out to be.

You're right, though. Cycling apps on your device makes sense. If you're using it, keep it. If you're not, toss it. I make a point to set up my new iOS devices as new devices so I need to reconsider each app individually to see if they make the cut.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Fine. Then next year.

perhaps tegra 4 will finally catch up with ipad 2?

Apple don't need to compete on specs. ipad 3 is a perfect example of that. No quad core CPU has all the tech geeks crying. Oh, but it has a retina display I hear you cry? Tech geeks don't really care about that - look at all the comments saying how the ipad 2 is fine and they don't see the point. They can understand quad core though, they imagine all the apps will magically be twice as great.

But apple focused on what will make the biggest difference to the experience of using a tablet in their opinion - and thats retina. And we really won't be able to tell until we see one in the flesh or use it for a while

mrklaw

MrArseFace

first ipad? Buy the 16GB and enjoy. Start your ipad life by keeping things organised and not downloading thousands of apps, stream rather than download and you'll be fine.

ipad 2 is only 16GB too remember, and the apps will be the same size on that as they are universal.

Retina will be fantastic for browsing and reading. Plus if you sell next year becuase you want a bit more storage, you'll get a lot more for an ipad 3 than an ipad 2. Think of it like renting the ipad for a year for £50-60

But if the idea for the iPad is to replace a PC for Grandma, and your kids, then why do they need to worry about different inputs for longevity?

Again, I said down the line. And it's sort of like what ASUS did with the Transformer with the dock. If you're traveling around or on the couch, then the iPad (as it is), is going to be a media consumption device and useful for certain types of communication (quick posts on Facebook, quick reply to email, Skype, etc).

But if your kid has homework to do, they can use the keyboard to accomplish it.

And a joystick as in input device just makes sense if gamers want a similar experience to VITA/PS3/DS/Wii/Xbox.

But why couldn't EA/Ubi/Activision/Sega/Konami/Capcom develop iOS/VITA/3DS versions of a game?

We won't know any of this stuff because we don't have a crystal ball and don't know if there's a long-term product life for tablets.

Ars Technica compares iTunes 1080p with BD.

What can we conclude from this?

I was surprised to see how close the iTunes 1080p download comes to Blu-ray, considering that it's only a fraction of the file size. And let's be honest: there are lots of Blu-ray titles that look much worse than this iTunes download. But despite an impressive effort by Apple, Blu-ray still reigns king when it comes to image quality. And unlike iTunes titles, BRDs can have uncompressed multi-channel audio, multiple audio language options, and special features. Am I being greedy in wanting both good-looking downloads for convenience, as well as buy-once-play-anywhere Blu-ray discs of my all-time favorite movies?
http://arstechnica.com/apple/guides/2012/03/the-ars-itunes-1080p-vs-blu-ray-shootout.ars

perhaps tegra 4 will finally catch up with ipad 2?

Apple don't need to compete on specs. ipad 3 is a perfect example of that. No quad core CPU has all the tech geeks crying. Oh, but it has a retina display I hear you cry? Tech geeks don't really care about that - look at all the comments saying how the ipad 2 is fine and they don't see the point. They can understand quad core though, they imagine all the apps will magically be twice as great.

But apple focused on what will make the biggest difference to the experience of using a tablet in their opinion - and thats retina. And we really won't be able to tell until we see one in the flesh or use it for a while

Who knows. Nvidia is still trying to get their feet in the mobile space. I'm sure in time, they'll be able to become competitive (surprised AMD hasn't gotten into the market, though we do see Intel trying to make inroads).

And like I said in my original post, Apple is a conservative company, geared toward user experience and profit margins. So this year, our main "upgrade" was the screen, back camera and memory (with the A5X and quad-core GPU to drive the device at the resolution).

With all of this talk of the ipad camera, does anyone even seriously use it?

I use the front one. As someone mentioned, it's not really important if the back camera has the 4S camera at the moment (it's just a nice to have).

ido

Ditto.

I hate having pages of apps I rarely use.

Streaming/browsing will be my primary use for this bitch. 16gb should handle that just fine.

dream

Again, I said down the line. And it's sort of like what ASUS did with the Transformer with the dock. If you're traveling around or on the couch, then the iPad (as it is), is going to be a media consumption device and useful for certain types of communication (quick posts on Facebook, quick reply to email, Skype, etc).

But if your kid has homework to do, they can use the keyboard to accomplish it.

And a joystick as in input device just makes sense if gamers want a similar experience to VITA/PS3/DS/Wii/Xbox.

But why couldn't EA/Ubi/Activision/Sega/Konami/Capcom develop iOS/VITA/3DS versions of a game?

We won't know any of this stuff because we don't have a crystal ball and don't know if there's a long-term product life for tablets.

But we can kind of extrapolate...something...based on 2 full years of sales, especially when considering the cannibalization of PCs.

These things are only becoming more capable -- look at the functionality iWork and iLife adds to iPad -- as people start to figure out what tablets can be used for. iPad isn't as modular as the Transformer Prime, but there's no reason why it can't be.

Top Bottom