• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Blackhead

Redarse

Look at that. Should have bought a Kindle especially if you want to read in that environment. Dude can't even see the screen in that sunlight.

He's taking a picture:
Wired | Raw File said:
Reuter’s journalist Barry Malone captured this image near Somalia. The juxtaposition is boggling. Guy in suit. Dead cow that is so starved it looks like a leather jacket. And craziest of all, he’s using an iPad as a camera — a scene that couldn’t have existed until last year since the iPad 2 came out in the Spring. Since then, I’ve seen this all the time. In fact, my father uses his iPad as a camera.

jts

...hate me...
With all of this talk of the ipad camera, does anyone even seriously use it?
I wouldn't use the one on the iPad 2 because it's shit. I'll have no problem using the one on the new iPad, as it seems to be better than the iPhone 4's.

It may look weird for now, but we'll get over it. Using a tablet looked weird by itself, taking photos with phones too. Who cares.

If I'm somewhere in the house and my phone is upstairs and my DSLR is in a closet and my kid is trying on some dressup outfit, and the only camera around is my iPad, then yes. :) And that's happened more than a few times.

But we can kind of extrapolate...something...based on 2 full years of sales, especially when considering the cannibalization of PCs.

These things are only becoming more capable -- look at the functionality iWork and iLife adds to iPad -- as people start to figure out what tablets can be used for. iPad isn't as modular as the Transformer Prime, but there's no reason why it can't be.

Two years isn't enough time. Netbooks were out for a few years, and people thought they were going to catch on like wildfire and do the same thing (again the argument is a smaller, lighter replacement that can do browsing, productivity, some gaming, etc).

And the iPad consumer right now still approach it like a media-consumption device. Maybe over time.

Hopefully, the prices can come down too that way it can gain inroads in Enterprise, school and government environments.

the camera in my Iphone 4 is not really that awesome.

I hope the camera in iPhone 5 is better, however I use my Canon 600D for photos anyway.

I am very intressted in the iPhoto for the New iPad.
I can imagine using it a lot while I am travelling in the backcountry of New Zealand during my next fishing trip there.
A laptop takes to much space and weight so being able to use the iPad as a storage device for my transfered canon photos is a great thing, and to be able to even edit them in there is a hell of a good tool for someone who sleeps in a car and hiking in the backcountry.

SuperPac

Normally, when I get home from work, I just play Xbox, or watch a movie. Generally while I'm doing these things, I have my laptop by my side to look up random things, browse the forums, or chat with friends. Now, my laptop is going to sit on my desk, while my iPad is next to me to do all of those things with greater ease. That's where its strength lies, and I think Apple knows that.

And you're right, it has replaced a PC for some tasks. But not for all tasks, such as those that would require a game pad, keyboard, mouse or other input device other than touch. Even though you have an iPad, I'd wager you still use your PC for some things.

Now will there still be a market for PCs, sure. But does your grandma, kids, wife need one if one day the iPad can do these competently? Apple definitely opened up a can of worms. My issues are just the inputs for the device. Again, this isn't something immediate. The market has to determine if tablets are longterm or simply a fad like netbooks.

And we've seen inklings of the iPad as potentially a mainstream game device (latest is the EA thread on gaming side).

OK, you're right. If all your grandma/kids/wife need to do is check email, do some light browsing, reading, etc. then yes the iPad does all of those things very well and could replace the PC for those users. But it does not *need* to compete on graphics performance specs to do any of these tasks, and definitely does not need any additional input devices to do any of that either. Your argument seemed to be that the iPad will need more input devices and better graphics to continue to do these light tasks or get better at them - and I do not think Apple sees it that way at all.

If you're saying for you, the average GAF member who plays hardcore games and probably uses his PC a lot and would like a keyboard, USB inputs, etc., Apple has to add these things...well, I do not see them thinking that way or catering to a user that wants that.

I don't think I'll take still photos with my iPad very often (I own multiple cameras and photography is a hobby) but I am looking forward to trying it out as a video platform for shooting HD video and editing it right on the device, before posting to YouTube. As a travel writer, the potential is quite huge for that kind of thing.

It is also a reason I went with the 64GB model, as that much video can eat space quickly.

I wouldn't use the one on the iPad 2 because it's shit. I'll have no problem using the one on the new iPad, as it seems to be better than the iPhone 4's.

It may look weird for now, but we'll get over it. Using a tablet looked weird by itself, taking photos with phones too. Who cares.

Looks aside, using the iPad outside in the sun is nearly unusable to begin with. In the dark or under very overcast skies, sure it will suit you, but most people that have an iPad I'm going to assume also have a smartphone.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Looks aside, using the iPad outside in the sun is nearly unusable to begin with. In the dark or under very overcast skies, sure it will suit you, but most people that have an iPad I'm going to assume also have a smartphone.

That wouldn't be as striking a photograph.

kinggroin

Banned
Looks like best buy might be crediting me the amount paid for the Xoom. Pretty excited, it'll be my first ios device.

Oh, and where are all the assholes that told me taking pictures with a tablet was stupid when I bought the moto tab? Or defended the rear facing one in the ipad2. Can't wait to hear just how convenient it all of a sudden is, now that the camera isn't dog shit.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Looks like best buy might be crediting me the amount paid for the Xoom. Pretty excited, it'll be my first ios device.

Oh, and where are all the assholes that told me taking pictures with a tablet was stupid when I bought the moto tab? Or defended the rear facing one in the ipad2. Can't wait to hear just how convenient it all of a sudden is, now that the camera isn't dog shit.

Man...you go from excitement to calling people assholes!

The updated camera doesn't change the fact that you're still going to have a big ass tablet that you'd be using to take pictures with. I can't imagine a scenario where I have both my iPad and my iPhone on me and I decide to take pictures using my iPad instead of the iPhone.

Oh, it still isn't very convenient. I think it will be very awkward as well and I doubt that it'll ever replace a dedicated camera for me on any level, including video. That said, i'm still looking forward to the experiment of at least trying to edit video on it as mentioned abovel.

Not really because the camera in the current iPad is garbage. I think people will use the new one more since it's actually pretty decent. I was thinking it might actually make a great video camera since you have a great jumbo-sized screen of the footage you're capturing.

I'm wondering if I should set up my iPad 3 as a new device or use the backup from iPad 2. Is there advantage to setting up as a new device? Crazy question, I'm sure. Just wondering if starting from a backup could have any odd effects.

My iPad has been in Kentucky for more than 4 days now. Is this normal??

Mine's been in Nashville. You're fine. Apple is holding them until they get shipped out tomorrow. No worries.

RubxQub

Retina iPad Apps Up to 5x Larger!!!! COMMENCE SCREAMING AND PANIC!

"The applications developed by Apple have been upgraded to support the Retina Display. For example Keynote was previously only 115MB but its latest version is 327MB. Numbers is up from 109MB to 283MB, Pages moves from 95MB to 269MB, and iMovie from 70MB to 404MB."

I'm wondering if I should set up my iPad 3 as a new device or use the backup from iPad 2. Is there advantage to setting up as a new device? Crazy question, I'm sure. Just wondering if starting from a backup could have any odd effects.

I've restored from back-up each time I've upgraded my iPhone and have had zero issues. It is awesome to have your device set-up exactly as you want it in a matter of minutes without really having to do a thing buy sync.

jts

...hate me...
The updated camera doesn't change the fact that you're still going to have a big ass tablet that you'd be using to take pictures with. I can't imagine a scenario where I have both my iPad and my iPhone on me and I decide to take pictures using my iPad instead of the iPhone.
A scenario where you are using your iPad and suddenly want to take a quick picture of something you see. Or your iPhone isn't that near at all. Or you simply want to enjoy dat 9.7" high definition viewfinder.

kinggroin

Banned
Man...you go from excitement to calling people assholes!

Heh, its a friendly call out. I don't think tobor is really an asshole.

I actually find having a decent camera on the tablet to be quite the convenience. I don't always have my nexus around me, so if I need a quick shot while I'm on the Xoom, it may as well look nice.

Also, the framing size is pretty damn awesome, even if I do look like a jerk while taking the shot.

andycapps

It's still pretty much dog shit. Lots of noise in decent lighting, I'd assume the low light pictures are pretty bad. It's an improvement, but I imagine they'll put a better sensor in the next version. I don't think it's much of an issue as taking a picture with a 10" tablet is hardly ideal, except if you're in a real pinch and don't want to miss something that's happening right then.

RubxQub

you are sooo late

No! The Verge is (as usual)...and this didn't come across my radar before this somehow! SO THERE!

Fuck me...

And you're right, it has replaced a PC for some tasks. But not for all tasks, such as those that would require a game pad, keyboard, mouse or other input device other than touch. Even though you have an iPad, I'd wager you still use your PC for some things.

OK, you're right. If all your grandma/kids/wife need to do is check email, do some light browsing, reading, etc. then yes the iPad does all of those things very well and could replace the PC for those users. But it does not *need* to compete on graphics performance specs to do any of these tasks, and definitely does not need any additional input devices to do any of that either. Your argument seemed to be that the iPad will need more input devices and better graphics to continue to do these light tasks or get better at them - and I do not think Apple sees it that way at all.

If you're saying for you, the average GAF member who plays hardcore games and probably uses his PC a lot and would like a keyboard, USB inputs, etc., Apple has to add these things...well, I do not see them thinking that way or catering to a user that wants that.

No, as the average GAF member, I'm probably a technology enthusiast, so I have a laptop, desktop, iPad, multiple gaming device.

But if the market changes, and Tablets can be used as PC replacement, it could be a might difficult for Little Jimmy to write an essay, etc. But again my point is not what the iPad is now, but what it could be (again, it depends on what happens in the next few years).

For the moment, the iPad is just this thing we do browsing, light communication, light gaming and media consumption (movies/music/books).

The graphics issue is a different topic all together. It's more geared toward the discussion in the gaming-side, with the iPad eventually posed as a competitor to Nintendo and Sony (though we could probably make the argument that the iPhone or Android could be the same thing).

MasLegio

Banned
This is being posted every page.

It is a bit worrying though.

16GB is definitely not worth it. 32GB is the smallest I would consider. Shame about the ridiculous prices.

probably the reason why they increased from 20mb to 50 mb on app download as well.

crpav

My wife wants an Ipad for home use but primarily work use. I placed an order for one so now just have to wait. My question is what should I get for a case/cover?

^ Friday? Doesn't seem like anyone is getting it early.

That kinda sucks for iPad 1/2 users.

Meh. It just means they might not have 75 apps installed. I've got apps on my phones and tablets that I haven't used in years (literally) and less space would actually make me prune my shit better.

dream

I think you'd be surprised by how much I've written on my iPads and iPhones, both with and without Bluetooth keyboards. I don't deny that there's a lot of stuff iPads can't do, but writing really isn't one of them.

RubxQub

When should we be getting reviews?

Oh shit...can you picture the iPad review in The Verge's super cool review style? I want to hear Josh ooze his love all over the new screen in that video, dammit!

If I remember right, reviews were hitting either day of or slightly before?

I think you'd be surprised by how much I've written on my iPads and iPhones, both with and without Bluetooth keyboards. I don't deny that there's a lot of stuff iPads can't do, but writing really isn't one of them.

There is much room for improvement in the writing apps. And a huge market there for MS.

Tobor

I use the front facing camera for FaceTime, and the rear facing camera for...FaceTime. That's about it.

The new camera is better than my iPhone 4, so I'll at least try it.

Heh, its a friendly call out. I don't think tobor is really an asshole.

I actually find having a decent camera on the tablet to be quite the convenience. I don't always have my nexus around me, so if I need a quick shot while I'm on the Xoom, it may as well look nice.

Also, the framing size is pretty damn awesome, even if I do look like a jerk while taking the shot.

I like how your iPad camera is actually a fallback from a cellphone camera. While cellphone cameras have gotten much better, they are still not as good as a dedicated camera. As mentioned above, photography is a bit of a hobby for me and I wouldn't think of using my cell phone cam (I have an iPhone 4S by the way) in any circumstance except when I absolutely don't have any other camera on me.

Just a friendly call out as well. Not trying to start an argument at all. :)

my iPad shipped...lol yeah right! how can it ship and already be in Middletown thats right next to where I live, Harrisburg! I can just go and pick it up its 10 minutes from work. Can they stop me?

kinggroin

Banned
Meh, 16gigs is still plenty.

Videos are handled by flixster/Netflix/YouTube

Music is handled by....the ios equivalent of Google Music (Something I can stream my library with)

I don't download a lot of apps, as ICS stock, pretty much takes care of most my common needs (I assume iOS will as well)

I only play words, hanging, and draw. Maybe some tiny tower or that one pixel shifting pizzler.

Pictures are handled by Google plus and viewed on picasa anyway.

Yup. I should be ok.

Top Bottom