• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Utako

Banned
my head says this, but I think red smart cover + white ipad would go better in my lounge

xkMl0.jpg

(thats a little old, but the colour scheme is still there - cables tidied, cream rug and coffee table in front of corner sofa)
Nice decor! Are you a runner? ;)

I was emailed earlier in the week to be told that my new iPad was delayed and wouldn't be delivered until the 20th.

Apple Store just called to say "they were delighted" to tell me that it would arrive on the 16th (Friday). Huzzah! I'm in the UK.

planar1280 said:
my iPad shipped...lol yeah right! how can it ship and already be in Middletown thats right next to where I live, Harrisburg! I can just go and pick it up its 10 minutes from work. Can they stop me?
I'm in Harrisburg as well and mines sitting in Middletown (I literally work right next to the facility)!

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Meh, 16gigs is still plenty.

Videos are handled by flixster/Netflix/YouTube

Music is handled by....the ios equivalent of Google Music (Something I can stream my library with)

I don't download a lot of apps, as ICS stock, pretty much takes care of most my common needs (I assume iOS will as well)

I only play words, hanging, and draw. Maybe some tiny tower or that one pixel shifting pizzler.

Pictures are handled by Google plus and viewed on picasa anyway.

Yup. I should be ok.

Your app library tends to get larger when you actually have options.

dream

There is much room for improvement in the writing apps. And a huge market there for MS.

I mean, I'm not going to say Pages is the best (I'll probably abandon it for Word, if it ever ships), but I've written a lot with it (along with stuff like Evernote and iA Writer) and I've never found myself wanting for more functionality than it provides...

at what point do developers move from complete reliance on bitmaps to vector graphics? That will help reduce the size of these apps greatly.

I mean, I'm not going to say Pages is the best (I'll probably abandon it for Word, if it ever ships), but I've written a lot with it (along with stuff like Evernote and iA Writer) and I've never found myself wanting for more functionality than it provides...

Same here. Pages is quite good and Evernote has more funcationality than I know what to do with sometimes. Word would be a welcome addition if just for compatibility sake, but really Pages does quite well on its own.

Looks like best buy might be crediting me the amount paid for the Xoom. Pretty excited, it'll be my first ios device.

Oh, and where are all the assholes that told me taking pictures with a tablet was stupid when I bought the moto tab? Or defended the rear facing one in the ipad2. Can't wait to hear just how convenient it all of a sudden is, now that the camera isn't dog shit.

That was quite a transition you made there, although I will agree with you that a lot of my fellow iDevice lovers are hypocrites and only see the viability of something once it's in their own device of choice. Regardless of how well or poorly its implemented.

There is much room for improvement in the writing apps. And a huge market there for MS.

Yeah, if the Office rumors are true. Which goes back to if you buy whoever an iPad, they'll be able to do most things a PC can do. It's only a certain type of user that needs high-end gaming, graphic design, coding, etc and they'll still have desktops/laptops.

We're getting Office suite. But as an aside, I wonder if they're going to give us competitive pricing or M$ pricing.

And as the average GAF user, I'd prefer to just use my iPhone camera (or if I had a SGSII).

Apple is making me into a whore (though I do prefer my PC with the Windows flavor).

Pages isn't that great to be honest.

If Office comes out, it'll be a first day buy for me.

Truth. The entire Apple work/productivity line is weak compared to Office. Can't wait for Office to hit the iPad. In the meantime I'll just stick with Office on my Air.

Hobbun

I’m seriously contemplating getting ‘the new iPad’. One of the main reasons is to view my pdf pen & paper RPG books (mainly Pathfinder). I know that no one has one yet, but does anyone know if the 1 Gig memory should be enough to turn/scroll the pages quickly? I don’t want to purchase the iPad and find out it takes time to load each page.

Also, any suggestions on a pdf program for these needs are appreciative. I am thinking Goodreader, but am open to other recommendations, as well.

Thanks.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I’m seriously contemplating getting ‘the new iPad’. One of the main reasons is to view my pdf pen & paper RPG books (mainly Pathfinder). I know that no one has one yet, but does anyone know if the 1 Gig memory should be enough to turn/scroll the pages quickly? I don’t want to purchase the iPad and find out it takes time to load each page.

Also, any suggestions on a pdf program for these needs are appreciative. I am thinking Goodreader, but am open to other recommendations, as well.

Thanks.
Yeah. You should be perfectly fine with pdfs. I read a lot of large pdfs on my ipad 1. The screen was decent but not great for reading them.

I am excited to see how pdfs look on this new screen.

dream

Here's something I've been pondering, though: why do we all (myself included) think Office will be better than iWork? Given than iOS is Apple's platform, it sort of seems like they would, in theory, have a better grasp on how to build an iOS office suite than Microsoft would. I guess Office could include more functionality, but then that would also increase complexity.

Rengoku

Thanks.

I had both Goodreader and FastPDF on my ipad 1. I found FastPDF to be better at flipping through my D&D rpg books. It seemed to load faster for me.

3N16MA

Banned
Here's something I've been pondering, though: why do we all (myself included) think Office will be better than iWork? Given than iOS is Apple's platform, it sort of seems like they would, in theory, have a better grasp on how to build an iOS office suite than Microsoft would. I guess Office could include more functionality, but then that would also increase complexity.

It comes from some people preferring Office over iWork on the Mac.

Just an assumption based off the fact that iWork is as bad on iPad as it is on a Mac. The more recent apps Microsoft has put out for iOS have been pretty stellar. If Office turns out poorly, there's still the MacOS/Windows versions to fall back on.

Oh? Then why do you feel like writing isn't something iPads are good at if you have a BT keyboard and enough functionality in the apps?

-Full, proper compatibility with Office applications
-Deeper support for features like watermarks, tables, borders, charts, review controls/options, etc.
-Office feature familiarity
-Significantly more fonts (please!)
-Word is better than Pages in every way
-Excel is better than Numbers in every way
-PowerPoint compatibility is important

It comes from some people preferring Office over iWork on the Mac.

Office is and continues to be more compatible in the business environment and more functional than iWork. It's just that simple.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Thanks.
pdf options are excellent on ipad. its possible that ipad 3 might be slower than ipad 2 if it uses the cpu to decode and has to draw retina graphics

MThanded

With 4G you get one extra G than with 3G, which means internet speeds are much faster.

Also the US/Canada thing is untrue. Just checked the UK Apple Store and 4G units are available on various networks.

The main issue with 4g is that different carriers use different frequency bands. So even though the backend infrastructure may be the same the device may not work on other carriers. This is why there are two LTE iPad models in the US. ATT and Verizon use different bands.

This causes problems when traveling between countries too. Not sure what carriers support in various countries. Luckily you can fall back to 3g GSM which has been pretty much standardized globally.

TKR92

Thanks.

Once I've read a 1.4 GB pdf file with iPad 2 and I don't have any problems with that.

GoodReader is really good.

Epix

Did Apple mention if people who've previously purchased 720p content can get upgraded to 1080p without having to repurchase?

MThanded

I really want an apple tv. If they had added app support that would have gotten me to purchase it. However, as far as I can tell all they did was add 1080p support. Someone convince me its worth it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
All will be 4G but the iPad supports bands that are used in Canada/U.S. Many places around the world will roll out their LTE network on 800MHz, 1800MHz and 2600MHz bands that the iPad does not support.
its just called 4G for uniformity

in europe its unlikely to ever support 4G as the frequencies are different. i think outside of us/canada everyone gets the at&t version. so locally you'll get 3g, and in theory you can pick up an at&t sim if you come to the us ane use 4g there - if they'll sell one to tourists

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I really want an apple tv. If they had added app support that would have gotten me to purchase it. However, as far as I can tell all they did was add 1080p support. Someone convince me its worth it.
anything you can watch/listen to on ipad you can play on your tv if you have apple tv. plus you can play back stuff from your network, and i think it has netflix etc too

Short of breaking into a FedEx, do we even know if Apple has review hardware out in the wild for embargoes to even have a chance of being broken?

3N16MA

Banned
its just called 4G for uniformity

in europe its unlikely to ever support 4G as the frequencies are different. i think outside of us/canada everyone gets the at&t version. so locally you'll get 3g, and in theory you can pick up an at&t sim if you come to the us ane use 4g there - if they'll sell one to tourists

Yep. iPad will support LTE networks but only in Canada/U.S. and anywhere else that uses the 700, 2100 MHz bands.

jts

...hate me...
It's worth it with jailbreak.

Vyer

Hmm....well, it's 99 bucks. AirPlay. 1080p. Sharing with other iTunes libraries in your house. iCloud access.

Probably mostly worth it if you have other iTunes/apple/iOS devices in the house.

giga

Short of breaking into a FedEx, do we even know if Apple has review hardware out in the wild for embargoes to even have a chance of being broken?
Reviewers definitely have it. The 4S review embargo was lifted three days before its release. (Oct 11 at 9PM, Released Oct 14)

numble

Oh, I'm ok. I'm more wondering if those folks thinking they'll get a new iPad review 2 days before release are off the mark.

There are review units out, reviews usually come Wednesday night/Thursday morning. Embargoes are unlikely to be broken, because everyone is afraid of being blacklisted.

got my Smart Cover and tested it on an iPad 2. It's definitely going back. Not stable enough when positioned in the tallest position on the surfaces I would want it to work on. Not stable enough at all. Really only seems to be acceptable on the flattest surfaces...which is not good enough considering how much smart covers cost.

Top Bottom