• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Hobbun

pdf options are excellent on ipad. its possible that ipad 3 might be slower than ipad 2 if it uses the cpu to decode and has to draw retina graphics

Hmm, I hope that’s not the case (being slower). But I did call my local Apple Store, and they said that there will be 8 stations set up with the new iPad. And most likely there will be pdf reader (with files) to try it out. I plan to go on Sunday, hopefully it still won’t be too busy.

Anilones

got my Smart Cover and tested it on an iPad 2. It's definitely going back. Not stable enough when positioned in the tallest position on the surfaces I would want it to work on. Not stable enough at all. Really only seems to be acceptable on the flattest surfaces...which is not good enough considering how much smart covers cost.

Are you trying this portrait? If so, the smart cover isn't for that, only landscape.

Kjellson

With 4G you get one extra G than with 3G, which means internet speeds are much faster.

Also the US/Canada thing is untrue. Just checked the UK Apple Store and 4G units are available on various networks.

All will be 4G but the iPad supports bands that are used in Canada/U.S. Many places around the world will roll out their LTE network on 800MHz, 1800MHz and 2600MHz bands that the iPad does not support.

It's pretty simple. There are two models, one for Verizon, one for the rest of the world.
Thanks!

Strange, my network says 4G is US/Canada only.

TKR92

got my Smart Cover and tested it on an iPad 2. It's definitely going back. Not stable enough when positioned in the tallest position on the surfaces I would want it to work on. Not stable enough at all. Really only seems to be acceptable on the flattest surfaces...which is not good enough considering how much smart covers cost.

It's ok for what its worth.
But I'm not gonna buy it for the new iPad. Probably will buy a cheap third-party one.

Spacebar

Why do people think the new ipad will be slower? You really think apple is going to release something that is slower than a previous model? This is apple we're talking about here.

Are you trying this portrait? If so, the smart cover isn't for that, only landscape.

iconipadsmartcoverfacet.png

this configuration. it was fine on my desk, but I tried it on the bed and...nope.avi. the base is simply too narrow to provide a solid standing position. I assume one of the other cases I ordered will handle this better, as none of them are designed with the traditional smartcover styling. Needless to say, one cover/case option has been officially eliminated.

I might get s super-cheap knock off for when I want to take it somewhere and (1) don't expect to need to stand it up and (2) want something less cumbersome than a full case.

Blackhead

Redarse
Meh, 16gigs is still plenty.

Videos are handled by flixster/Netflix/YouTube

Music is handled by....the ios equivalent of Google Music (Something I can stream my library with)

I don't download a lot of apps, as ICS stock, pretty much takes care of most my common needs (I assume iOS will as well)

I only play words, hanging, and draw. Maybe some tiny tower or that one pixel shifting pizzler.

Pictures are handled by Google plus and viewed on picasa anyway.

Yup. I should be ok.

Your app library tends to get larger when you actually have options.

And those apps will need local content (in large part due to the way iOS handles files differently from Android). For example, Djay, a cool app to demo and play around with, needs to access those songs locally from the iOS music library. iTunes match can't be accessed from the Djay app (besides other issues). Then there is the problem of the duplicated files when using a workflow that requires multiple apps. Local storage becomes essential and fills up fast.

kinggroin

Banned
Your app library tends to get larger when you actually have options.

I'd need to have a reason to take advantage of said options. Large app library or not, my needs are such that I only ever use a handful.

But lol @ android tablet market and all that. I agree, its fairly pathetic.

My argument for 16 gigs, was solely from the perspective of a kinggroin's usage scenario. I don't care for DJ apps or authoring movies on the tablet. I can understand however, folks who are heavy app consumers needing the larger storage.

subrock

this has probably already been posted but I think it might address some worry that people are having

Dear Apple Customer,
Thank you for your recent online order at the Apple Store. We appreciate your business.
We want to confirm that your original delivery date of March 16th, 2012 is correct.
Tracking information for this order will be available starting March 15th. On or after this date, you can click the Track Shipment button on your original Shipment Notification email, or you can check the delivery status of your order by visiting the Apple Store and clicking Account.
Thanks for your time and for shopping with Apple.
Sincerely,
The Apple Online Store

anyone else get this?

Why do people think the new ipad will be slower? You really think apple is going to release something that is slower than a previous model? This is apple we're talking about here.

Well.. The fill rate is absolutely insane on the new iPad and it's had a GPU bump x2, nothing on CPU. Coming from three years working on a PSVita game.. its a fuck ton of pixels to draw.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I totally agree with you. Since when does apple release a new mobile device that has performance issues?

Well.. The fill rate is absolutely insane on the new iPad and it's had a GPU bump x2, nothing on CPU. Coming from three years working on a PSVita game.. its a fuck ton of pixels to draw.
The people over at infinite loop are perfectionists. If this hardware was not sufficient then it would not get released.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Also RE: tracking, if you notice on the FedEx site the delivery method says "Standard Overnight" for Service Type. I bet they start moving tomorrow.

Wouldn't we have already seen a demo of this kind of potential problem during the keynote, specifically that jet game (sorry, can't remember the name).

Wouldn't we have already seen a demo of this kind of potential problem during the keynote, specifically that jet game (sorry, can't remember the name).

Well we don't know if (Ace Combat or whatever it was) it was running full res. Also, according to The Verge, it had performance issues. It might be a case that the more intensive apps don't run full res.

this configuration. it was fine on my desk, but I tried it on the bed and...nope.avi. the base is simply too narrow to provide a solid standing position. I assume one of the other cases I ordered will handle this better, as none of them are designed with the traditional smartcover styling. Needless to say, one cover/case option has been officially eliminated.

I might get s super-cheap knock off for when I want to take it somewhere and (1) don't expect to need to stand it up and (2) want something less cumbersome than a full case.
Good luck finding an iPad case that will stand it up reliably on a surface as uneven as a bed. Maybe you should get one of those mattresses that people can jump up and down on without knocking over the glass of wine on it.

MThanded

I'd really like to know why people are doubting apples engineering know how for this device. If it wasn't powerful enough to render stuff then it would not have been released.

I'd really like to know why people are doubting apples engineering know how for this device. If it wasn't powerful enough to render stuff then it would not have been released.
Yup, I really don't get people who are asking if this thing will be able to render PDFs. LOL. People should know by now that user experience is everything with Apple and they're not going to release a super-HD display unless it also has the power to render everything properly. An iPad with a janky Android-style frame rate in basic operations is just not going to happen.

soldat7

Meh, 16gigs is still plenty.

Videos are handled by flixster/Netflix/YouTube

Music is handled by....the ios equivalent of Google Music (Something I can stream my library with)

I don't download a lot of apps, as ICS stock, pretty much takes care of most my common needs (I assume iOS will as well)

I only play words, hanging, and draw. Maybe some tiny tower or that one pixel shifting pizzler.

Pictures are handled by Google plus and viewed on picasa anyway.

Yup. I should be ok.

My 16GB iPad 2 has nearly 30 games (several beefy ones like Where's Waldo, Ravenmark, Infinity Blade II) and dozens of huge, worthless apps (400MB mags, etc.) If you maintain your backlog in the 'cloud' and don't keep tons of vids and music on it, you will be just fine. You'll feel the hurt, but you'll be fine.

railGUN

Banned
God why can't Apple invent a time machine so it could be Friday already... I haven't been this hyped for a new gadget since the 360 came out.

MThanded

I bought GoodReader, and while it's pretty full featured, the UI is so hideous I had to go back to iBooks.

I have to use goodreader because ibooks does not have the annotations features it should have.

cackhyena

and knowing this, apple didn't up the storage.. smh.

i feel sorry for the peeps who got the 16GB version.

I just never plan on having as much on there as other people, I guess. A certain amount of games, some music and I plan on using it primarily as a web surfer. I have the latest 32 gig Touch and still have 20gigs left over. Just nothing to fill it up with. I'll be fine.

Yeah, the price on those things is an absolute f*cking joke. If it came from a third party and cost 9.99, I'd still have sent it back.

yogloo

As cool as they are. Smart cover kinda sucks. I hate that they sort of flop around when you use your iPad. They don't provide much protection too. :(

giga

I have to use goodreader because ibooks does not have the annotations features it should have.
Yeah, I'm not sure what the hold up is with that. iBooks can annotate epub files but not PDF…really odd. Even Preview has a ton of annotation tools.

jts

...hate me...
and knowing this, apple didn't up the storage.. smh.

i feel sorry for the peeps who got the 16GB version.
I miss the old Apple days when devices would get their storage bumped up (usually doubled) for the same price on each new iteration.

Maybe evolution on flash storage have stagnated, I don't know.

But the sooner we get 64/128GB iPads as entry models, the sooner we'll truly be living in a post-PC world.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Thanks!

Strange, my network says 4G is US/Canada only.

4G is just a BS marketing term

All cellular iPads are "3G" (which AT&T seems to be forcing apple to call it 4G), only US/Canada (AT&T, Verizon, Rogers, Telus, Bell (Canadian bell)) support the LTE bands in iPad 3rd gen

The only true 4G thing out there is LTE, the 4G being pawned off everyone is just an extension of existing 3G networks

Stupid telcos

kaskade

If I ever iPad in bed for watching video or something I usually use an extra pillow or something to prop it up.

Weenerz

Banned
So Tweetbot for Ipad doesn't work with the 4s? One of the few apps that I've seen that do not work for both. Not buying it twice :x

Top Bottom