• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Images stolen from Engadget stolen from somewhere else showing iPads sitting in the backrooms at Best Buy.

-2-1.jpg

I have it.

nope.avi. they're okay for drawing apps, as you can be a bit more accurate...but writing? hell no. if you had asked about drawing, this conversation would be different...but writing...it won't work out.

ok ok i didnt mean..writing..I meant note taking. if its ok for drawing is it good for note taking?

iavi

Has anything been said to the app-scaling for this? I'm up for one, but without retina updates, I imagine things like Sword and Sorcery--especially, will look like junk. This will be my first IOS device, so I was looking forward to going through the backlog.

ok ok i didnt mean..writing..I meant note taking. if its ok for drawing is it good for note taking?

The one you linked is fine for drawing. Not much else.

Note-taking requires writing, yes? It's not good for writing because of the type of screen implemented, so notes will generally look wild and ridiculous (i've tried). I can't describe it to you very well, so you can either take our word for it or buy it from Amazon (which has a great return policy) and decide for yourself.

If I had to do it again, I wouldn't have bought it.

Erudite

I only take notes with my iPad in such a way that I write quick bullet points or make quick highlights on PDF lecture slides.

An iPad and stylus will also work for quick drawings, such as for Organic Chemistry.

If you're going to try and write out pages and pages of notes, stick to a notebook and pen. It's not a good experience trying to do that on an iPad.

Salmonax

Should I be concerned that my iPad was last seen in Ontario when it was "Picked Up" four days ago? Has it been on a truck since then or something?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yup, I really don't get people who are asking if this thing will be able to render PDFs. LOL. People should know by now that user experience is everything with Apple and they're not going to release a super-HD display unless it also has the power to render everything properly. An iPad with a janky Android-style frame rate in basic operations is just not going to happen.
I didn't say it would be slow - just that it might be slower than ipad 2 for cpu-bound tasks that have to render things to the screen. I'm sure it'd still be plenty fast

Yeah, I think my smart cover purchase was an unintended result of pre-order mania. There are definitely some cases in this thread that appeal to me more. And I've found with previous Apple products that the 3rd-party accessory market is big enough that there's almost always something better there than from Apple themselves.

I only take notes with my iPad in such a way that I write quick bullet points or make quick highlights on PDF lecture slides.

An iPad and stylus will also work for quick drawings, such as for Organic Chemistry.

If you're going to try and write out pages and pages of notes, stick to a notebook and pen. It's not a good experience trying to do that on an iPad.

yea, bullet points are okay. but if you need/want to write legible sentences using a stylus on an iPad, you WILL be disappointed.

If you really want/need that functionality out of a tablet, I'd recommend picking up a TabletPC. I have one and for note taking by hand, there is simply nothing better than my HP Elitebook Tablet + Stylus + OneNote.

Yeah, I think my smart cover purchase was an unintended result of pre-order mania. There are definitely some cases in this thread that appeal to me more. And I've found with previous Apple products that the 3rd-party accessory market is big enough that there's almost always something better there than from Apple themselves.

same. I'll be returning it as soon as one of the other covers arrives. I'm sad the Aura2 case I ordered has been delayed a few days, but oh well.

Should I be concerned that my iPad was last seen in Ontario when it was "Picked Up" four days ago? Has it been on a truck since then or something?

it's been sitting in the fedex hub/center in Ontario and will be staying there until most likely Thursday and then it will ship out to the closest fedex hub to you, and then on friday it will go "out for delivery" in the morning.

However, if you are close enough to the Ontario hub, it'll just stay there until friday and then go out for delivery on friday morning.

yea, bullet points are okay. but if you need/want to write legible sentences using a stylus on an iPad, you WILL be disappointed.

If you really want/need that functionality out of a tablet, I'd recommend picking up a TabletPC. I have one and for note taking by hand, there is simply nothing better than my HP Elitebook Tablet + Stylus + OneNote.

same. I'll be returning it as soon as one of the other covers arrives. I'm sad the Aura2 case I ordered has been delayed a few days, but oh well.

I plan to get a bluetooth keyboard for my iPad. Idea is I throw it in my bag and use as needed.

Salmonax

However, if you are close enough to the Ontario hub, it'll just stay there until friday and then go out for delivery on friday morning.

Makes sense - I just saw all this Nashville talk and got a little worried. We needs the precious. I'm in Northern California so I assume it'll be heading out tomorrow.

Eh, kind of different. There's an new iPad in the market this Friday...as well as an iPad 2.
I would argue that anyone struggling to grasp the difference between the two models isn't going to be bothered by the new specifications. They might even end up buying an iPad 2, thinking it's the latest model. If they can't work out that it's not, they will probably remain oblivious and enjoy their product immensely.

soldat7

Has anything been said to the app-scaling for this? I'm up for one, but without retina updates, I imagine things like Sword and Sorcery--especially, will look like junk. This will be my first IOS device, so I was looking forward to going through the backlog.

I'm very pessimistic.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
is it wrong that i'm considering a red leather smart cover even though i ordered a maroo case? my thinking is that the maroo won't be here until next week at the earliest and i want something thin for around the house

Tobor

is it wrong that i'm considering a red leather smart cover even though i ordered a maroo case? my thinking is that the maroo won't be here until next week at the earliest and i want something thin for around the house

I think it's wrong that you bought the Maroo case. :p

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν

I mean...it's pretty much been confirmed that all true ballers are getting a red leather smart cover and white iPad...so like...if you want to be part of the cool-kids club you're totally gonna have to pony up the dough, man...

Two cases?! I could never do it, but hey...if you've got the income and don't care, go for it!

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Which case is everyone getting? I've heard bad things about the smart case so I'm curious to see what the popular choice is.

Why would it look like junk? What was once on one pixel will now be on four pixels. Those four pixels are... the same size as the iPad 2's one pixel. That was the whole point of doubling the res exactly. It'll scale perfectly.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
This one looks awesome. How's the feeling and feedback when you type, compared to, lets say, a Thinkpad keyboard?

not as good as a thinkpad, but nice tactile feedback for the price (bought it at 37 € or something like that). best feature is that it is really small (long side about as long as the iPad is tall),mand the retail packaging is sturdy, so you can use it as a case fot the keyboard.

Top Bottom