• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Has anything been said to the app-scaling for this? I'm up for one, but without retina updates, I imagine things like Sword and Sorcery--especially, will look like junk. This will be my first IOS device, so I was looking forward to going through the backlog.
The screen is the same size. I'm assuming they will just make 1 pixel into 4 pixels. Should still look fine.
edit: 1 into 4

3N16MA

Banned
Vaja Smart Grip is a nice leather back that works with the Smart Cover.

IjDEBl.jpg

zjghxl.jpg

They haven't released a new version for the 3rd gen iPad yet. Hopefully they fix the speaker cut out if they do.

tokkun

Why would it look like junk? What was once on one pixel will now be on four pixels. Those four pixels are... the same size as the iPad 2's one pixel. That was the whole point of doubling the res exactly. It'll scale perfectly.

There will be some differences in appearance due to the change in pixel pitch; just like doubling the resolution of SNES games in an emulator doesn't make them look like they do on a television screen. Still, I agree that they shouldn't look like 'junk'.

iavi

Why would it look like junk? What was once on one pixel will now be on four pixels. Those four pixels are... the same size as the iPad 2's one pixel. That was the whole point of doubling the res exactly. It'll scale perfectly.

The screen is the same size. I'm assuming they will just make 1 pixel into 2 pixels. Should still look fine.

Good to hear. I wasn't sure what would be going on there.

Which case is everyone getting? I've heard bad things about the smart case so I'm curious to see what the popular choice is.

smart cover for life.

people wrapping these beautiful iPads in janky, thick faux leather folios makes me cry inside.

until my iPad drops and shatters into a million pieces one day

id like to know how apple got fedex to agree to overnight all those ipads that got ordered. mustve been some transaction. how much did fedex get? we didnt even have to pay for shipping.

Bowser

smart cover for life.

people wrapping these beautiful iPads in janky, thick faux leather folios makes me cry inside.

until my iPad drops and shatters into a million pieces one day

Yep, this is the same way I'm going. Explains why I don't have a case or screen protector on my iPhone either. Naked is best!

Cheebo

Banned
id like to know how apple got fedex to agree to overnight all those ipads that got ordered. mustve been some transaction. how much did fedex get? we didnt even have to pay for shipping.

For previous launchs they literally booked the entire fedex trucks themselves so those making deliverys are delivering ONLY ipads/iphones. Must be pretty expensive.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
You say that, but with the original retina display upgrade, there was an inconsistent blur applied to some apps that resulted in less than optimal image quality. Things often appeared both blurry and pixelated, which isn't attractive.

I'd prefer them to simply allow a perfect scaling with no filtering.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

It's a contract

A contract which right now is hundreds of millions of packages a year

Even at a discount, that is still a massive amount of money

I would guess that all apple launch windows are part of the contract to have launch date delivery... A little burden on FedEx (to force the ship windows to overnight) but considering they will make up that money on any shipments post launch... I think to them it's well worth it.

jts

...hate me...
You say that, but with the original retina display upgrade, there was an inconsistent blur applied to some apps that resulted in less than optimal image quality. Things often appeared both blurry and pixelated, which isn't attractive.

I'd prefer them to simply allow a perfect scaling with no filtering.
That was more visible in static/text based apps (which will be easier to update) than in 3D games and videos, though.

Still, this time we'll have maybe years ahead until all the retina goodness of the iPad is fully utilized, pixel by pixel. It'll be a much slower transition than what happened with the iPhone, for a good number of reasons.

railGUN

Banned
Fuck, my tracking number on the UPS (Canada) site still says

A UPS shipping label has been created. Once the shipment arrives at our facility, the tracking status--including the scheduled delivery date--will be updated.

And no matter how many times I refresh, it says the same damn thing.

mrkgoo

For previous launchs they literally booked the entire fedex trucks themselves so those making deliverys are delivering ONLY ipads/iphones. Must be pretty expensive.

Meh, I'm guessing t's business as usual. Obviously, booking stuff out will be a large cost, but heck, it could be cheaper than usual. It'll just be more efficient to run such an operation exclusively.

To have the contract to be the shipper for Apple products would be pretty lucrative.

I don't think I like that keyboard listed. Anyone have other suggestions? I have seen my friend use the apple one. In addition, I am looking at that Logitec one.

f@luS

More than a member.

Im firmly sure that paying for super fedex shipping cost less than what a normal store do on Ipad

Apple > Walmart > you
Apple sending with fedex > you

ipad_3.jpg

THis. I've already got 2 of them need to get about 2 more to leave in various places around the house

That doesn't break down nearly as well. Try putting your stand in a thin bag. You can't. So yea, it's fine for around the house, but it's not portable unless you have a large bag to fit its awkward shape in. For those who want to travel, the Wingstand appears to be much more reasonable and functional.

soldat7

The screen is the same size. I'm assuming they will just make 1 pixel into 4 pixels. Should still look fine.
edit: 1 into 4

320x480 apps look like junk when doubled up to 640x960 on the iPhone/iTouch Retina. I'm not holding my breath that everything will look beautiful on the iPad 3.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
320x480 apps look like junk when doubled up to 640x960 on the iPhone/iTouch Retina. I'm not holding my breath that everything will look beautiful on the iPad 3.
The screen is bigger though its not the same thing. Imagine if the ipad had the same screen as the iphone and double the resolution. When you double the screen size and make the screen resolution higher its definitely going to be an issue.

When you just make the resolution higher its not as much of an issue.

Top Bottom