• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Kinan

yeah, probably not full res.. as long as they are reasonably close.. like 1080p or something similar, they'll still look great.

Just to give you a reference to those tests above, GLBenchmark Egypt on screen test at ipad2 native resolution showed 60fps (90fps offscreen). I would be really surprised if ipad3 will be able to get 30fps in that test at "retina" res.

Zeth

The screen is bigger though its not the same thing. Imagine if the ipad had the same screen as the iphone and double the resolution. When you double the screen size and make the screen resolution higher its definitely going to be an issue.

When you just make the resolution higher its not as much of an issue.

I read the first part of this about 5 times and I still don't understand it. But won't the fact that the starting resolution is 1024x768 mean it won't be as bad? Or is that irrelevant because the screen is bigger too?

How does it stack up against Tegra 3 though?

well the Tegra 3 is not that much more powerful than iPad 2......soooo...make up your mind :)

benchmark.png

42748.png

42749.png

Zeth

This.

What an utterly pointless video. It literally served to do nothing. Not a shred of knowledge or insight was gained.

I have a 4k cinema display prototype. Upscales 480P youtube. I was blown away, you guys are in for a treat Friday.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I have a 4k cinema display prototype. Upscales 480P youtube. I was blown away, you guys are in for a treat Friday.

I LOLed

Also, in my last comment I was saying the reason iPhone apps look so terrible on the iPad is the difference in screen size.

Yes, original iPad apps wont look as good on The New iPad but its not going to be as terrible as it is when you resize an iphone app on the iPad screen.

I went with this cover, this time:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004R7FF2K/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Last time I went with a smart cover & clear backing combo, but at almost $50, making this half price, I'll give it a shot. More money for apps :).
I'd never pick that kind of case, as I think it covers up too much of the iPad's design, but normally I'd just think 'meh not everyone has the same taste' and not say anything...

...but in this instance I have to make an observation. You realise there are some 'bezel' style gestures in iOS5? The bezel itself isn't touch-sensitive, but they kinda simulate that with the notification pull-down. You can probably still do it with that case, but the leather surround is really in the way, particularly in landscape mode. It won't be a nice seamless pull-down from the bezel, as it's supposed to be.

muu

Going with the old Smart Cover from the ipad2 I sold a couple weeks back. Realistically you don't get much more than a few scratches on the back (and I've had my share of spectacular drops, though all in the house) -- sure, it'll drop resale value a bit but I'd much rather not be burdened by the extra weight.

Wait i thought they were all running at the same res.

Also the tegra 3 FPS is at the bottom of this chart if im reading correctly.

no what I mean is Tegra 3/iPad2 will run a certain video at their supported resolution at 60fps. iPad 3 will also run it at 60fps at a resolution 4x higher.

Kinan

So apple was right. The GPU in these guys blow the tegra 3 away. Tegra 3 numbers are basura .

Well, GLBenchmark is opengl Es 2.0 performance test, it favors apple devices somewhat. You can probably get significantly better performance from tegra if you optimise for it at the low level.

MThanded

no what I mean is Tegra 3/iPad2 will run a certain video at their supported resolution at 60fps. iPad 3 will also run it at 60fps at a resolution 4x higher.

pretty sure these are offscreen 720p

Not really. These are all GLBenchmark offscreen 720p tests. The offscreen egypt and pro benches are all run at 720P.

http://www.glbenchmark.com/phonedetails.jsp?D=Apple iPad 3
The other tests are run on the device correct? Do they run at ipad 2 res?

Kinan

Wait i thought they were all running at the same res.

Also the tegra 3 FPS is at the bottom of this chart if im reading correctly.

Yes, all tests are for same resolution - 1280x720 offscreen rendering. They will need to update GLBenchmark first to support new ipad resolution before we see those results.

pretty sure these are offscreen 720p

The other tests are run on the device correct? Do they run at ipad 2 res?

hmmm let me put it more simply

iPad 2 will run its video/games/apps at 24/60/30fps at its 1024x768 (max power)
Tegra 3 will run its video/games/apps at 24/60/30fps at its 1280x800 (max power)
iPad 3 will run its video/games/apps at 24/60/30fps at its 2048 x 1536 (max power

MercuryLS

Banned
I'm kinda wishing I bought a 64gb iPad now. Damnit!

If it becomes an issue, at least I have 2 weeks to return it and get the bigger one.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I am still perfectly happy with my 16 GB preorder. Naturally the regret may set in in the coming months, but I doubt it.

I am still perfectly happy with my 16 GB preorder. Naturally the regret may set in in the coming months, but I doubt it.

You won't. all it means is that you may eventually need to micromanage the apps/music/movies you have on your device. Instead of hoarding (and leaving apps that you haven't touched in months on your device), you'll simply always have when you need to have on there.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I think it's wrong that you bought the Maroo case. :p

serious or just taking the piss? If serious why? Looks a nice leather folio.

I mean...it's pretty much been confirmed that all true ballers are getting a red leather smart cover and white iPad...so like...if you want to be part of the cool-kids club you're totally gonna have to pony up the dough, man...

Two cases?! I could never do it, but hey...if you've got the income and don't care, go for it!

you manage to find the right case first time?

Alex

Yeah, what I'd do with my 16 last time was fill up for a spell. Couple books, couple albums, couple movies, shows, couple games, etc then wipe em out on the PC after I wrapped most of it up.

I understand that a lot people like to mostly stockpile their stuff on there though, especially apps, but it doesn't really bug me.

I have a feeling 32 will be the base model next year, though.

That doesn't break down nearly as well. Try putting your stand in a thin bag. You can't. So yea, it's fine for around the house, but it's not portable unless you have a large bag to fit its awkward shape in. For those who want to travel, the Wingstand appears to be much more reasonable and functional.

what? it folds almost flat. It's actually better than the wing stand because you can adjust the angle too.

sfedai0

Banned
Makes me feel better that some of you are validating my 16g purchase. I was seriously contemplating going in to the store to exchange for a 32g, but I think with the way I will be using the iPad, 16g will do just fine.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Fuck, my tracking number on the UPS (Canada) site still says

And no matter how many times I refresh, it says the same damn thing.

how many times have you refreshed? If you click enough times it'll trip a service call which will mean someone will manually hand carry the ipad to you a day before everyone else. The number varies by courier - not sure what UPS is.

MThanded

how many times have you refreshed? If you click enough times it'll trip a service call which will mean someone will manually hand carry the ipad to you a day before everyone else. The number varies by courier - not sure what UPS is.

I think they changed the policy. If your tracking page gets too many hits they automatically return to sender.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That doesn't break down nearly as well. Try putting your stand in a thin bag. You can't. So yea, it's fine for around the house, but it's not portable unless you have a large bag to fit its awkward shape in. For those who want to travel, the Wingstand appears to be much more reasonable and functional.

I have the Twelve South compass easel stand. Don't use it that often but it folds up really compact

Makes me feel better that some of you are validating my 16g purchase. I was seriously contemplating going in to the store to exchange for a 32g, but I think with the way I will be using the iPad, 16g will do just fine.

You'll feel even better when the resale value of your 16g only nets you 20-25 dollars less than a 32.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'd never pick that kind of case, as I think it covers up too much of the iPad's design, but normally I'd just think 'meh not everyone has the same taste' and not say anything...

...but in this instance I have to make an observation. You realise there are some 'bezel' style gestures in iOS5? The bezel itself isn't touch-sensitive, but they kinda simulate that with the notification pull-down. You can probably still do it with that case, but the leather surround is really in the way, particularly in landscape mode. It won't be a nice seamless pull-down from the bezel, as it's supposed to be.

bezel gestures just mean you start the gesture off screen, so you could still do them fine with a case like that. But I agree on the aesthetics front - I don't like when the bezel is covered like that. There are enough folio cases with clips on the sides for me to readily ignore any other type

dream

Personally, I don't feel good about recommending the 16GB version just because apps aren't getting any smaller. That extra $100 for a 32GB model might suck to pay upfront but it could extend the life of the iPad just by future proofing it.

DJ88

in my last comment I was saying the reason iPhone apps look so terrible on the iPad is the difference in screen size.

Yes, original iPad apps wont look as good on The New iPad but its not going to be as terrible as it is when you resize an iphone app on the iPad screen.
He was saying that when the 3GS iPhone updated to the 4, the apps at the old res looked crappy when they were upscaled to the new retina display on the 4. Even though it was a perfect 4:1 ratio from 3GS to 4, they still looked pretty bad.

Dartastic

Personally, I don't feel good about recommending the 16GB version just because apps aren't getting any smaller. That extra $100 for a 32GB model might suck to pay upfront but it could extend the life of the iPad just by future proofing it.
Eh. I'll just buy another one in a year or two after selling mine. =.=

Curious if anyone has the navy smart cover and if it suffers bleeding like the product red one?

I'm considering getting one for the time being before looking into other options down the line.

Thanks!

what? it folds almost flat. It's actually better than the wing stand because you can adjust the angle too.

Bro I have one, so we can talk on a certain level about this. The part of the stand that holds the iPad (the base) does NOT fold. It's permanently shaped/molded by design. Only the back support folds. This is fine for when you're around the house, but the bottom support is damn near 1.5" of perpendicular hardware that makes for a very awkward fit in a slim bag. I assume there are other stands similar to this one that allow you to fold the base in as well...but this is not one of them.

I agree that the stand is nice because you can position the iPad at multiple angles, but the point of the Wingstand itself is that it's setup for typing with the BT keyboard and be portable. It does both of those things extremely well, if pictures are any indication.

Top Bottom