• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Eh. I'll just buy another one in a year or two after selling mine. =.=

Just dont sell it back to Apple. The value they assign an iPad 2 16gig Wifi for trade-in is 205 dollars(Apple likes to **** you coming and going, it seems). Amazon's trade-in value is 300 dollars and they don't even sell these things. I'm sure you can get even more from Craigslist.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Xdz2t.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
You won't. all it means is that you may eventually need to micromanage the apps/music/movies you have on your device. Instead of hoarding (and leaving apps that you haven't touched in months on your device), you'll simply always have when you need to have on there.

this to me is where the 'magic' falls apart. I'm not against the idea of micromanaging the content on the ipad, but having to use itunes for that is just painful. And if I don't use itunes, I'm having to trawl through a long download history to find apps to redownload. Plus you lose your save data if you delete an app.

thats why I think you should go for a size that will comfortably hold all apps and content you expect to use regularly. If you need to shuffle a lot, you bought the wrong size.

Bowser

Opted from what? Shipping it for launch day delivery?

It is going to literally be a couple of hours difference. Non-issue.

Yeah, don't see what the big deal is. If they let you pick it up before March 16th, then yeah, it would have been better, but that's not the case.

MThanded

Opted from what? Shipping it for launch day delivery?

It is going to literally be a couple of hours difference. Non-issue.

If you aren't home when the item comes you will have to pick it up on the weekend from the shipping depot or wait until monday. I did not want to deal with either of those situation. I did not get in store pickup because I wanted it earlier. This way I can get it at my convenience.

Also, my 4s arrived on my doorstep around 8 pm on launch day. I presume a lot of people's iPads will be extremely late deliveries too.

If you aren't home when the item comes you will have to pick it up on the weekend from the shipping depot or wait until monday. I did not want to deal with either of those situation. I did not get in store pickup because I wanted it earlier. This way I can get it at my convenience.

Also, my 4s arrived on my doorstep around 8 pm on launch day. I presume a lot of people's iPads will be extremely late deliveries too.

My FedEx claims before 3 p.m. Of course, we'll see if that actually happens. *chuckles*

That sucks that you got yours late. My 4S arrived around lunchtime and my ipad's guaranteed to be delivered before 3pm. Mine's shipping from Ontario to San Francisco.

MThanded

expect a long fucking line =D

I called. There is a separate line for the pickups. Told me it should be fairly quick and they will have the item ready for me. Nice try.

I am willing to bet a lot of people won't be getting them by 3 PM. Those shipping estimates on fedex rarely have been accurate for me.

kruskev

I'll be stuck at home waiting for the package when I could just go pick it up. My fedex guy usually comes at around 8 pm. Oh well.

MThanded

Damn people getting the items shipped are salty as hell. I did not get in store pickup to 1-up anyone. Chill folks.

I most likely will pick it up later in the day(5-6 pm) anyway. It will be a present to myself after a long day of paper writing.

Tobor

Damn people getting the items shipped are salty as hell. I did not get in store pickup to 1-up anyone. Chill folks.

I most likely will pick it up later in the day(5-6 pm) anyway. It will be a present to myself after a long day of paper writing.

What time are you rolling in? I haven't decided yet.

EDIT: NM, just saw your edit.

FreeMufasa

How does the iPad charge? Can it be done through a PC?

I'm going to Japan on the 21st and plan to take my iPad with me. UK sockets are different from Japanese ones so i'm not sure how i'm going to charge it.

Couldn't pay me to go into an Apple store.

I'm going to Japan on the 21st and plan to take my iPad with me. UK sockets are different from Japanese ones so i'm not sure how i'm going to charge it.

I charged my iPad 1 via computer, normal outlet, and also via USB portable charger.

Has anyone done the Amazon trade deal? Was thinking about turning in my first gen for credit since the eBay going price and their trade in rate are fairly close.

Salmonax

For residential deliveries, yeah. I had the same experience with the 4S. But if you're getting it delivered to a place of business they'll deliver it before 5PM.

Dartastic

Just dont sell it back to Apple. The value they assign an iPad 2 16gig Wifi for trade-in is 205 dollars(Apple likes to **** you coming and going, it seems). Amazon's trade-in value is 300 dollars and they don't even sell these things. I'm sure you can get even more from Craigslist.
I would never be that dumb. :p

MThanded

Couldn't pay me to go into an Apple store.
Oddly enough, you seem to have a general disdain for Apple judging by your previous comments in this thread. Just calling it like I see it.

For residential deliveries, yeah. I had the same experience with the 4S. But if you're getting it delivered to a place of business they'll deliver it before 5PM.
True, you business delivery folks will be fine.

Oddly enough, you seem to have a general disdain for Apple judging by your previous comments in this thread. Just calling it like I see it.

I don't love everything they do. I'm definitely a fan of some of their hardware, but I'm also definitely not a fanboy of Apple, which thankfully isn't a pre-req to buying an iPad.

MThanded

I don't love everything they do. I'm definitely a fan of some of their hardware, but I'm also definitely not a fanboy of Apple, which thankfully isn't a pre-req to buying an iPad.
Luckily being an Apple fanboy is also not a pre-req for walking into an Apple store ;-) . Contrary to popular belief.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

charges from PC but charges faster from the ipad charger. If I remember correctly, the plug pulls off and you can plug any 'figure of 8' mains cable in to extend it - so if you have anything lying around with a Japanese two prong figure of 8 lead on it, you can use that.

or just get a world adapter and plug it in - the apple charger is multivoltage and will work in Japan

this to me is where the 'magic' falls apart. I'm not against the idea of micromanaging the content on the ipad, but having to use itunes for that is just painful. And if I don't use itunes, I'm having to trawl through a long download history to find apps to redownload. Plus you lose your save data if you delete an app.

thats why I think you should go for a size that will comfortably hold all apps and content you expect to use regularly. If you need to shuffle a lot, you bought the wrong size.

just trying to give him the best possible spin. :-(

if I were him, I'd upgrade to a 32, but if he can't afford to it's not a problem.

elfinke

I've only ever had 8gb and 16gb iPhones, and never once had trouble with storage. Prior to iOS5 (or whichever one it was) I had to swap one or two apps around in order to update big games like Dondonpachi, Aralon or Infinity Blade, but even then it was a 2minute non-issue. Wifi at work and wifi at home with huge-arse NAS FTW also I guess.

I'm confident if it looks like becoming a problem for app developers and their customers (feedback will make that clear quick enough), that is, packaging in all assets with their apps and bloating their size, I'm sure there'll be a fix in the works to enable partial downloading of only relevant data.

I can't wait for these to get out in the wild, so we can stop talking about 16gb v 32gb :/

Just got a notice that my Apple TV shipped and it'll be here tomorrow. Hopefully this means my iPad will get out of Middletown purgatory soon.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Curious if anyone has the navy smart cover and if it suffers bleeding like the product red one?

I'm considering getting one for the time being before looking into other options down the line.

Thanks!

What do you mean by bleeding?
I'm guessing the red microfiber side transfers it's color and 'paints' other objects it touches?
it did that to the silicon back cover I have on my iPad 2.

Zeth

Just got a notice that my Apple TV shipped and it'll be here tomorrow. Hopefully this means my iPad will get out of Middletown purgatory soon.

God damn Middletown, PA! Just the fact that several people in this thread have iPads there leads me to believe there are probably thousands of new iPads at that location.

What do you mean by bleeding?
I'm guessing the red microfiber side transfers it's color and 'paints' other objects it touches?
it did that to the silicon back cover I have on my iPad 2.

That sounds exactly what people were saying about the red cover couple of pages back. :/

May just get the blue poly smart cover if that's the case.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
Ordered new ipad as soon as store went live in the UK last wednesday, a few days later got an email saying it wouldn't arrive until the 20th. However Apple rang me out of the blue today to say it would now arrive on the 16th, happy days!

dallow_bg

nods at old men
That sounds exactly what people were saying about the red cover couple of pages back. :/

May just get the blue poly smart cover if that's the case.

I think it's just the particular dye on the red leather. It seems to come from the gaps where there isn't microfiber on the back.
And it doesn't paint anything, just certain materials, and takes prolonged exposure.

For example, none of my clothes, bags, or skin have ever gotten red marks. Or the naked back of the iPad or glass.
But the silicon cover I bought for the back (same model cover that Tobor bought), it painted red after a few days.

I think it's just the particular dye on the red leather. It seems to come from the gaps where there isn't microfiber on the back.
And it doesn't paint anything, just certain materials, and takes prolonged exposure.

For example, none of my clothes, bags, or skin have ever gotten red marks. Or the naked back of the iPad or glass.
But the silicon cover I bought for the back (same model cover that Tobor bought), it painted red after a few days.

Ah. And that sucks for the silicone staining though I guess I still have to decide between red or navy then as I don't really intend to have a rear cover for my ipad.

Hmm...

FreeMufasa

I charged my iPad 1 via computer, normal outlet, and also via USB portable charger.

charges from PC but charges faster from the ipad charger. If I remember correctly, the plug pulls off and you can plug any 'figure of 8' mains cable in to extend it - so if you have anything lying around with a Japanese two prong figure of 8 lead on it, you can use that.

or just get a world adapter and plug it in - the apple charger is multivoltage and will work in Japan

Thanks guys.

Top Bottom