• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Yeah, can't wait to see how big these apps get.

I have about 35GB used on my 64GB and was thinking of slimming down to fit onto a 32GB iPad, but the jump in sizes of current and future apps is just going to negate that for me.

They really need to offer a way for apps to only include the necessary assets for a particular device. Why should new iPad owners have to store the assets for non-retina displays and vice versa.

AndTAR

Seems like The Verge accidentally uploaded their review score: link. Probably won't be long before the NDA lifts, happened two days prior to launch with the iPad 2.

Bro I have one, so we can talk on a certain level about this. The part of the stand that holds the iPad (the base) does NOT fold. It's permanently shaped/molded by design.

if portability is your main objective then yeah the wingstand looks better. I havent used one but it looks like without a keyboard holding it down the thing would be sliding all over the table as you touch the screen. The folding stand is made of (rubber?) or something so it doesn't slide with your typing.

japtor

TouchPad keyboard kind of looks like Apple's and you can find it cheaper:

vNJZo.gif
Amazon also makes a similar one under their "Amazon Basics" brand, I think it's $40.
The screen is bigger though its not the same thing. Imagine if the ipad had the same screen as the iphone and double the resolution. When you double the screen size and make the screen resolution higher its definitely going to be an issue.

When you just make the resolution higher its not as much of an issue.
You misread the post, they were referring to old iPhone apps on the iPhone retina display (ie at the same size). iOS either pixel doubles or doubles with smoothing, depending on a few factors on how the app is drawing to screen. Both methods are noticeable, like 3D games or text without the smoothing look all jagged and low res, while 2D games with nice sharp spritework get blurred. It's really annoying.
He's a SA goon, he's mentioned he does a lot of trolling headlines like that on purpose :p
Is it just me, or is pretty much every piece of Apple hardware due for a major design update this year?
Off the top of my head:
MBP is coming up on 4 years, iMac I've lost track of (was 2009 the edge to edge glass update?), Mac mini and MBA were both 2010, Mac Pro was 2006 or so, or 2003 if you go back to the PowerMac G5 (the Mac Pro changed a bunch internally and slightly externally). iPhone and iPod touch 2010 (...other than the white addition last year). I think the iPad (2) was the newest design out of everything, with the Apple TV a few months before that iirc.
has anyone ever considered getting a 2nd ipad?? as in...having two ipads?
If my family gets me the new one for my birthday I could keep this old iPad 2 for "multitasking". Need to look at a textbook while typing out a report or looking at images on the web while drawing? No longer a problem!

Crazy. That's the highest score they've given out by far.

Awesome. Seems like it's well deserved. Apple makes it look easy, but I'm sure there was a million engineering and technical problems they had to solve with this kind of display, and doubt any other company could have pulled this product off at this point in time at this pricepoint. No doubt it will become even better with iOS6+ in a few months.

Einbroch

Banned
I know I'm like a broken record here, but damn, what apps are you people using that causes you to run out of space so quickly?

I never went over like 7GB between streaming services and such.

I know I'm like a broken record here, but damn, what apps are you people using that causes you to run out of space so quickly?

For me it's music and movies/TV shows. I don't have many apps that take up much space. I don't think much of the iPad/iPhone in terms of its game-playing abilities, but I love word games and the ones I own dont really use that much space. Most of my apps are content hubs - ESPN, HBO, Netflix, all the major networks etc.

rezuth

Games son! Comics! Magazines! Music! It all adds up quickly.

AndTAR

I work with RAW images...so they're huge.
With the actual raw files in PiRAWhna, or just importing the RAW+JPEG captures? Been doing raw for some time myself, and I'm considering PiRAWhna heavily - I just wonder if the processing speed would improve in any way with this new GPU, or if all additional resources would be burned from having to render previews four times as detailed.

Sketchbook Pro's updated as well. The floodgates are opening!

15.6MB -> 34.6MB

Anyone know what the size and layer limits were previously?
SBP has actually been 2048x1536 for ages - they updated it with a high-res canvas option for iPad 2 (for more detailed zooming in work), which had 4 layers. It was kinda laggy in comparison to the standard 1024x768 canvas, which had 12 layers.

Hopefully the 2048x1536 canvas on iPad 3 is lag free this time. The number of undos has also gone up by 10.

Great to see a day zero update for my favourite app!

japtor

SBP has actually been 2048x1536 for ages - they updated it with a high-res canvas option for iPad 2 (for more detailed zooming in work), which had 4 layers. It was kinda laggy in comparison to the standard 1024x768 canvas, which had 12 layers.

Hopefully the 2048x1536 canvas on iPad 3 is lag free this time. The number of undos has also gone up by 10.

Great to see a day zero update for my favourite app!
Post about the performance once you get the iPad, I'm thinking it'll feel the same but am hoping for an improvement. More layers and undo levels seems to just be taking advantage of the extra RAM.

Post about the performance once you get the iPad, I'm thinking it'll feel the same but am hoping for an improvement. More layers and undo levels seems to just be taking advantage of the extra RAM.
Will do. I'm hoping 2048x1536 will feel just like using the 1024x768 canvas on iPad 2.

Starting to regret 16GB.

Should be able to manage though.

I was going back and forth and ended up getting the 32gb, and that was before any numbers were coming out with how big these retina apps are

just a shame Apple still has a 16gb iPad. It's going to really suck for iPad 1/2 owners who are downloading huge retina updates and apps for something they will never get use out of

sfedai0

Banned
Fuck it. Now with these ungodly huge app updates, and the fact that I will be keeping raw photos on it, Im gonna have to go for the 32g. Damn, I was really looking forward to playing with it this weekend. I hope I wont have to wait too long to exchange it.

Top Bottom